Exercise! - Skinny chicks at the gym...

View Full Version : Skinny chicks at the gym...

horsey
07-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Skinny chicks at the gym... Do you just hate them or do they inspire you? Last night one at the ymca was so young and perfect it made me pedal harder then ever. So I think there's a correlation, when there's people around more fit then me I work harder. Still it's hard having someone so perfect in your face.

marblez
07-06-2007, 03:56 PM
I used to be overweight and jealous of the girls who could go for 1+hr on the elliptical with little pink booty shorts. A couple of years later I'm one of them. Remember to admire people for their efforts rather than hate them. Not all of them have always been that way!

deedee10
07-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Well, they irritate me if they seem to have an attitude and strut around like they are really something but I have been seeing one girl in particular at the gym who really inspires me. She isn't skinny. She's very fit and toned and her proportions are very similar to mine. I watched her the whole time she was working out which inspired me to believe I could be just as fit and toned if I commited myself to my workout the way she does.

betsysunqueen
07-06-2007, 04:39 PM
I admire anybody who has the dedication and drive to work on their body.

I've been inspired by 80-year-old women on the treadmill, a 96-year-old (!!) man who lifted serious weight at my old gym, a 250-pound regular at my spinning class who could go faster and further than I could, and dozens of "skinny women." Sure, I've had moments of intense envy. But I just can't see hating somebody for what they've accomplished--even if it is with substantial assistance from good genes or whatever.

Steelslady
07-06-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't hate anyone that is skinny at all- it's just a body size, and let's face it, the ones at the gym are obviously working hard to maintain their bodies, just as heavy folks are working hard to lose the weight.

What I hate the most is attitudes- and let me tell you, some of the folks my size that I've met can be just as rude, arrogant, snooty, and hostile as some of the skinny folks I've met. There are some very sweet, kind, caring, helpful and motivating skinny folks out there- they are my inspiration and the snooty ones, I secretly thumb my nose at them (in my mind), just as I would a person who was heavy and snooty. Attitude/personality is what counts with me, not dress/trouser size.

ennay
07-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Really - the only ones who make me sad are the ones who are super skinny and cry about how fat they are. Or the one at my gym who is a twin for Reese Witherspoon and works out in the summer with a longsleeve turtleneck fleece workout suit so she can "sweat away the weight". Sad.

I only hate people with poor gym etiquette...

NYCT1981
07-06-2007, 05:22 PM
honestly? i don't even look at people in the gym, unless they are working out directly in front of me, in that case i look at their butt, lol. or the occasional nice looking man next to me, :) . but otherwise, i just get in there, do my thing, and leave.

ebe
07-06-2007, 07:14 PM
I saw a couple of really perfect, athletic teen girls at the gym the other day that didn't make me hate them at all but just for a second, kind of wistful...long coltish limbs, whippet lean and muscular. I was neeeeeevvvvveeeeeeeeer coltish. with stumpy legs its hard to be. possibly more like an old shetland pony.

lynnm39
07-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Ebe, your post cracked me up! I'm had nice legs, so the coltish legs wouldn't have bothered me. But I always had a belly on me (still do). I can't relate to anyone who is nostalgic for their bikini days---I never looked good in a bikini, even at my thinnest!

I don't really envy the skinny gym chicks. In fact, years ago, looking at them brought about an epiphany: Wow--those skinny chicks aren't that way "naturally"! They really do have to work out, just like me. That seems so obvious, but for some reason when I'm wallowing in self-pity about my weight, it's easy to forget that looking fit takes work for almost everybody--including those skinny chicks.

ebe
07-06-2007, 08:37 PM
it's easy to forget that looking fit takes work for almost everybody--including those skinny chicks.

That's so true. I do really admire women that compete in figure competitions but the level of dedication boggles the mind.

Kery
07-07-2007, 01:08 AM
I seldom look at other people in the gym, I admit, but as long as those "skinny chicks" don't come with an attitude, I don't think I've ever hated any, or even be truly jealous. Real fitness takes time and committment for everybody, and if anything, it tends to inspire me and re-energize me.

Meg
07-07-2007, 06:19 AM
The "skinny chick" who's working her butt off next to you may have been a fat chick not too long ago. ;) Be friendly and you may find out how much you have in common. :)

aymster
07-07-2007, 09:18 AM
I agree that we never know where people's weights have been and that attitude goes a long way. I don't care if you're thin or fat, if you're nice, that's all that matters. If you're angry and rude, I feel sorry for that person, actually...

I get inspired by the women on mags like Oxygen and Muscle and Fitness Hers. I hope to be "cut" like they are (and like Meg is!! :wink: ) in 3 years (it's a lot of hard work). So maybe she'll just inspire you to be your very best!

LeedaRenee
07-07-2007, 11:40 AM
I used to feel like that and then I realized that those ladies were there for like 1-2 hours almost everyday, and had EARNED their bodies. I still feel jealous, I guess that something I can't help, I can only hope that I am as happy with my body one day as they are with theirs (or as *I* am with theirs lol)

Ilene
07-07-2007, 11:47 AM
I admire anyone, as long as they are polite, who's in the gym, big or small, young or old... I especially admire old people in the gym, I guess that's because I'm inching closer and closer to their age :lol: ...

LisaMarie71
07-07-2007, 12:20 PM
I never really noticed people in the gym in the past, and I hoped they weren't noticing me, to be honest. Now I take a look around sometimes and a lot of people still fly under my radar. I notice older people, because that inspires me. I notice heavier people because I'm just really rooting for them and I've been where they are. I see them get on the treadmill and walk really really slowly for about five minutes and then get back off, and my heart sinks. I know it's better than nothing, and they're making an effort, which is wonderful, but I always just really want them to stick it out a bit longer and get the benefits of being there instead of just sort of dabbling in it. They'll get there, though, I always think.

What's interesting to me is when I do notice someone who's thin and appears fit but then she wipes out on the treadmill very quickly. It makes me think...wait a minute, am I in better shape than she is? I'm still not used to thinking of myself as being in shape at all, but I'm getting there.

Anyway, usually I'm just sort of lost in my iPod and my thoughts! When I'm not being interrupted by students or their parents, that is -- ugh! That's what I get for teaching in the same small town I live in (with only one gym)!

harrypotterybarn
07-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Then again, there are those chicks at the gym (usually the skinny variety) who wear the booty shorts with their thongs showing (and everything else hanging out on display) who come and perch on a weight bench or machine and just giggle with their friends while watching the guys lifting. Actual exercise would ruin their hair or makeup, so they would never do more than one rep (with no weight) on a machine that shows off their chest or thighs. Those chicks I could definitely do without, but mostly because they're in the way. Kind of like inconvenient pieces of furniture you can accidentally trip over.

Anyone else have a flock of those? You can learn amazing things from them...like a sweatsuit with half a yard of material can cost as much as a mortgage payment! To their credit, I suppose, their fingers must be in great shape...you should see them on their phones texting their friends across the gym, it's like lightning!

ebe
07-07-2007, 12:59 PM
One thing that can be annoying is when girls dress to get attention and then act uncomfortable and rude to guys that notice them. I'm not saying that lecherous guys get much sympathy from me but if you show up looking gorgeous in a bikini top and pristine yoga pants hanging off your perfect bottom, guys will want to be your friend.

SASCS
07-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey LisaMarie71- I know what you mean about being interrupted by your students and parents. You don't want to be rude, but at the same time you want to get your workout in. Summertime is the worst, because a lot of my former students are there on the swim teams. The skinny chicks who are working out, don't bother me, but the ones (big or little) who just hang around and are in your way drive me crazy. I hate to see the heavy ladies who feel self conscious and won't make eye contact. I try to smile and say hi so they will feel more comfortable and welcome at the gym.

pacman12
07-08-2007, 05:24 AM
One thing that can be annoying is when girls dress to get attention and then act uncomfortable and rude to guys that notice them. I'm not saying that lecherous guys get much sympathy from me but if you show up looking gorgeous in a bikini top and pristine yoga pants hanging off your perfect bottom, guys will want to be your friend.
I completely disagree with you - women should be able to wear whatever the **** they feel comfortable in to the gym, without worrying about getting annoyed by guys. They are welcome to "notice" you, but that doesn't give them the right to bother you.

ebe
07-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Sure, men shouldn't be annoying anyone but it's like kids with purple mohawks and piercings all over complaining about being stared at. You really can't expect not to be stared at or spoken to if you're in a gym nearly naked. Obviously, women should feel free to wear anything and not feel intimidated or harassed or threatened. I just think it's silly to dress to get attention and then complain when you do.

MariaMaria
07-08-2007, 03:00 PM
So it's not okay to wear "pristine yoga pants"? Do they need to wear stained sweats a size too big to get a pass?

When you have problems with yoga pants at the gym, maybe it's time to ask yourself whether the problem is with them or with you.

ebe
07-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Yeah I really hate nice yoga pants not prissy women with bad attitudes. I should really be in therapy for that irrational fear of them...

I really shouldn't generalize, it's entirely possible that this one person at my gym that I had in mind is in fact the only person in the universe who is really hot and comes off like a witch. Maybe she's just insecure, or maybe she is as stuck up as she seems, maybe I'm the one who's insecure or maybe it's just that nutty dislike of yoga pants that I have...

ennay
07-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Sure, men shouldn't be annoying anyone but it's like kids with purple mohawks and piercings all over complaining about being stared at. You really can't expect not to be stared at or spoken to if you're in a gym nearly naked. Obviously, women should feel free to wear anything and not feel intimidated or harassed or threatened. I just think it's silly to dress to get attention and then complain when you do.

OH you mean like my former coworker who would very carefully redo hair and makeup for the gym, wear shorts that were just a leeeeetle too short and shirts that were just a leeeetle too tight and very carefully stash her wedding rings in the locker and then go hang out helplessly in the free-weight section and try and get guys to help her and then be all offended if they asked her out. "They should KNOW I am married, I've been coming to this gym for ages". (you should know how to load a bench press bar by now too) .

Are they wrong for asking her out....perhaps....but on the other hand the fact that she will talk about how "offended" she was for DAYS after and the fact that she is a royal grump for days after if no one hit on her is telling too.

Sorry I'm with ebe on this one. We aren't talking assault or harrassment, but if you advertise dont be shocked and offended if someone takes notice. You can dress however you want and it wont bother me, but if you are repeatedly feeling stared at, maybe you should check your own inventory.

horsey
07-08-2007, 11:51 PM
In my horse hobby we call them "dressage queens..." they spend an hour fixing their hair, painting their nails and go to the stables in tight breeches riding 30k horses showing off their diamod rings. And real horse people don't really look around, they are in it for the sport.

I used to be "skinny fat" and never had to work at it in my 20s to be long and lean (and I probably flaunted my figure without really meaning to) so I'd be the one you are talking about wiping out on the treadmill but looking good in the clothes I suppose. Skinny fat doesn't age well without workingout, someone in their 40s told me that when I was 25 or so and didn't have a clue.

horsey
07-08-2007, 11:52 PM
I love seeing the older people at the gym too.

stacylambert
07-09-2007, 01:07 PM
In my experience I never had any problem with the skinny chicks. The guys were always nice enough too. The ones that did bug me were the 40-something ladies in amazing shape who gave you a dirty look if you were using the barbell/dumbells/machine they wanted. It was like they deserved to be there more than I did. I don't know if they assumed it was my latest resolution and I'd be gone in a week or what.

NightengaleShane
07-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Skinny chicks at the gym only bother me if they give me disgusted looks for being there... and yes, I HAVE gotten disgusted looks by some stuck up skinny chicks at the gym before. I live in a college town... the vast majority of the chicks here are the sorority types, and from my experiences, they'll snub anyone and think they're better than most people.

I've been on the other side of the spectrum, though: I was skinny for awhile (exercise bulemic... I worked out for around 3-5 hours on most days and automatically HAD to exercise after eating anything), so I went to the gym all the time, and overweight people gave me dirty looks just for working out and being there...if only they knew how much I had to DO to LOOK thin!

I also have to completely agree about 40-something superfit ladies who think that they're owed the fitness world and deserve to rule it.

lumifan4ever
07-12-2007, 04:45 PM
okay....let me stop laughing here so i can seriously answer the question at hand.:rofl: Sorry...some of the stuff it sounded like an arguement was brewing over, was just funny to me.

Okay. do i hate the skinny people at the gym? Sometimes I am a little jealous over the girls who can wear the short, booty shorts. I want to be able to wear them. But do i hate them?? Nah....i just want to work out and be like them. I don't really run into too many of those because i don't pay much attention to the people at my gym. I take my four classes a week that pretty much have the same people in them every week. But i have been known while waiting for class to start, if i saw a girl who was more toned than me, to stare at her mid-section or legs and think to myself how much i am going to enjoy looking like that soon.;)