Old 07-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #1  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Red face Exercise was SO uncomfortable!

My sister talked me into going on a walk with the dogs last night. Did I mention it was an uphill walk? My sister is in way better shape than me. She’s about 5’9” and 175lbs. I’m 5’3” and 250lbs. It was so uncomfortable! The sweating.. and my body just felt so heavy. I really felt the added weight. Mind you.. the last time I was in pretty good shape was about 5 years ago when I was about 158 lbs and fresh off a big weight loss.

So we did this uphill walk (I’ll have to check the miles on my odometer the next time I drive by) and I think I went into cardiac arrest and died about halfway up. She’s convinced we are going to do this regularly. I told her she’s crazy. I can’t tell if she’s trying to do it with me for her own health or to try to help me with mine. Either way I suppose it is a good idea just to run with it and get my butt moving.

I was just wondering if anyone is experiencing this? This nasty, sweaty, out-of-breath, painful lack of physical ability? It’s a little sad really. I hope it doesn't stay so uncomfortable! I suppose I should do it again tonight.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #2  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I know what you're experiencing! I was there. Keep going with those walks even if they are uncomfortable for you. Pretty soon you'll be increasing your distance and be looking forward to the walks instead of dreading them. You CAN do this!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #3  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Nope, no idea what that must feel like!!
With my svelte 269 lb body, I float like a butterfly....

Just stick with it and I'm sure it will get better. I know that even with my tonnage, walking has been getting better and better. I'm working toward running, so we'll see how that goes!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #4  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

I know exactly what you mean. I have a TERRIBLE emotional response to physical exertion. I can't seem to wrap my mind around the fact that this is GOOD for me and it will get easier. I get sweaty and breathing heavy...and I just feel like something is horribly wrong.

I'm sure it comes from childhood...and is one of my most terribly difficult hurdles in all of this. I have yet to conquer it.

I think you should definitely keep it up!! You can doooooo it!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #5  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Kae, keep at it. You'll be surprised how quickly your fitness improves and if you keep walking, in a few weeks time, you'll be able to knock that hill off without any trouble.

I have a loop that I walk close to home that's along the river bank - I walk along one side of the river, cross the river at the next bridge and walk back the way I came. The whole loop's about 3km (just short of 2 miles) and when I started it would take about 40 minutes to walk it. It's now taking me 30 minutes....
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I second the you'll-get-used-to-it-quickly responses. I can even notice the difference in a few days of walking the same route.

I am on some medication that has "excessive sweating" as a side effect. I notice it mainly when I'm exercising. Gross!! It's kind of embarrassing to me, so I walk by myself and then I'm not bothered by what anybody else thinks!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

You should definitely do it again. Not only will you get fitter, so it will be easier, but you'll have less weight to carry around because it will help you get rid of it...so it will be easier for that reason too! In addition, you'll get hooked on the feeling of exercise and that will make it easier as well. You may not believe that last part, because I didn't for years, but it's true for most people.

I know people are probably sick of hearing me talking about running, but I have to use myself as an example because well...that's who I know about! I've always been the LEAST athletic person I know, and I was the last-picked for gym class (though back then I was skinny), always physically awkward, etc. I always felt ridiculous trying to do anything physical, and when I got obese it was so difficult I just avoided it, which...of course...made my obesity even worse.

When I started all this, I weighed 275 and walking was quite difficult. I started with 25-minute walks a few times a week and then started going to the gym and using the elliptical and walking on the treadmill. It was SO hard at first I thought I would die. I made the commitment, though, to stick to it until it got easier, and now I'm a runner. It still amazes me that I can say that, but I ran 10 miles this morning, so I guess it's true!

It's all about consistency and struggling through that tough beginning of soreness and being out of breath and not wanting to do it. You just have to get over that hurdle, and then you'll be CRAVING that walk, believe it or not. And you'll be wanting to go farther, or faster, each time. I promise!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

One more thing and then I SWEAR I'll stop rambling.

I just noticed the title of your post and it made me think. Exercise IS uncomfortable. Heck, I'm in fairly decent shape now and it's STILL uncomfortable because I push myself. Those 10 miles this morning were anything but easy, but I loved it.

No matter how uncomfortable you are for those 30 minutes or however long you're walking, for me it just doesn't compare to how uncomfortable it is to go through this world as an obese or very overweight person. Some people are ok with it, and that's wonderful, but for me every day was ALL about being uncomfortable in EVERY way.

It's a tradeoff, just like with the eating. If you put yourself through some discomfort in not always getting to eat what you want and some discomfort because you have to move your body in new ways and more than you feel like doing, you can eventually trade in the discomfort that comes with being heavy. That's how I look at it when I don't feel like doing what I know I need to do. But honestly, when you get hooked, you don't have to convince yourself anymore.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #9  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Great words of advice from everyone. I definitely agree with the keep-doing-it-it-will-get-easier crowd.

And yeah, I'd say do it again tonight.....
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #10  

It gets better everytime you do it trust me. I used to have that same feeling whenever I'd walk, but now I can easily walk a mile without feeling too out of it.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #11  

I just went though this today. My hubby and I have been walking together, and it has been going pretty well. "Well" being a relative term, considering 2 weeks ago I was doing no regular exercise whatsoever, and now I am walking a 30 minute mile (yes, slow, I know...but we all start somewhere). Today, though, during the first hill of our regular walk, my legs were burning already. I didn't think I was going to make it. Thought for sure we were going to have to turn around early....but we made it! A little past where we made it last time! It felt good. But now I'm ready for bed, lol.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Popping in to say ... the first time I thought I'd try to jog, I ran until my legs grew weak and I thought my lungs would burst. It was 22 seconds or something like that. It does get easier ... and quickly!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #13  
Happy New Rears!

It will get better

2 months ago I started doing cardio, I could only do 15 minutes - every 2nd day! now I am doing 45 minutes a day and today I did an hour. Just keep working at it.
ThinGirl in FatBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:59 PM   #14  

22 seconds?!?!?!?!?! Wow! That's almost a marathon, right? I can only make it about.....erm.....10 seconds. On a cool day. Going downhill. With the wind pushing me. A lot. Maybe.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:27 PM   #15  
gonna win the thin!

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/160

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Default me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
Nope, no idea what that must feel like!!
With my svelte 269 lb body, I float like a butterfly....
i laughed out loud when i read that!!! then shouted "me too!! me too!!"
math puppy is offline   Reply With Quote