General Diet Plans and Questions - Kashi Good Friends cereal

View Full Version : Kashi Good Friends cereal

MrsJim
03-01-2001, 03:36 AM
Because of a recent post by Mony, I decided to give Kashi's "Good Friends" cereal another go...and I'm glad I did!

Actually I realized upon purchasing it that it wasn't "Good Friends" I had tried but "Go Lean" which I didn't care for all that much. I had GF for breakfast this morning, and HEY, only 90 calories and 8 grams of fiber which compares very favorably with my favorite Shredded Wheat - which has a lot more calories and about the same amount of fiber.

Jim didn't have the guts to try it - he's sticking to alternating Raisin Bran and Quaker Corn Bran (which also tastes terrific!).

So I give a BIG THUMBS UP to Good Friends - actually the taste may take some getting used to at first, as it is very chewy but it will fill you up and you will stay full. And we all know how good fiber is for you... :)

Anyone else tried it?

MrsJim
265/155/145

10 pounds left!! Yee Haw!!!

backyardbirder
03-01-2001, 05:26 AM
Hi MrsJim,

I bought it once, but never tried it (that was during my Sugarbusters trial run...now I'm in a Jenny Craig mode. :) ). I've heard only really good things about it, and we still have it here, so maybe i'll eat some, or give it to my daughter or husband!

Chris

Bumby
03-01-2001, 05:37 AM
It's a WW staple! My WW leader turned me on to it in 1998. I'd never heard of it before. I stopped buying it, actually, because I can't keep my hand out of the box. Now, if they would package it in little snack-sized bags for me...

MrsJim
03-01-2001, 07:03 AM
Bumby - how about those little cereal boxes like Kellogg's used to come in (maybe they still do???) You know, the ones with the preforations...you pour the milk right in the box and eat the cereal. Somehow that just never worked right for me! :)

I think I'll be toddling off to Trader Joe's and picking up a few more boxes of GF. I liked it much better than Go Lean. However, ANYTHING is better than Uncle Sam Cereal, which for some reason my mother adores. Of course, she's a flaxseed addict! Have you ever had that? There are WHOLE flaxseeds throughout the cereal. It's advertised "for regularity" and boy howdy, with all the flaxseed in the box, your colon should be in great shape!! :)

OH and Jim told me, "When you go to Trader Joes, pick up some Puffins for me". That's another great cereal!! I like to mix cereals in a bowl, so I would mix the Puffins and GF together. Puffins is similar to Quaker Corn Bran. Little corny squares!

MrsJim (a cereal nut!)
265/155/145

Bumby
03-01-2001, 09:30 AM
Try the cinnamon Puffins! Very slightly sweet, nice and crunchy.

If you are interested in recipes, the Kashi.com website has a lot of things you can do with Kashi cereal--muffins and the like.

LisaSue
03-02-2001, 02:04 AM
Hi there!

I had started using Kashi cereals/bars about 2 months ago, and it's great towards evening when you want something a little on the sweet side and crucnhy. I mix a little honey puffed Kashi cereal in my bowl along with the Go Lean and or Good Friends, only if I have that sweetness craving.

I almost have my hubby convinced to eat a small bowl of cereal instead of 4 or 5 chocolate chip cookies. He's doing everything else right (almost) he's still exercising and eating leaner protien chioces and lots of vegies and fruit. We cut down on the refined sugars and flours, but we're taking things one day (sometimes one meal) at a time.

Highly recommend Kashi :)

gdeann
03-02-2001, 01:33 PM
I LOVE Kashi good friends!! I have a 2 year old that will choose this cereal over any sweetened brand every time!! I love to mix 1 serving of the good friends cereal with a 6oz. container of sugar free/fat free yogurt, this is a great snack or a nice breakfast on the run.

camarra
03-02-2001, 07:16 PM
It tastes like sticks and pressed wood to me.

BetsyTC
03-03-2001, 12:56 AM
I personally call it twigs and stems, but I LOVE IT! I eat it every day with skim milk (2 pts), except sometimes on the weekend I want an egg on top of a lowfat waffle. It is the only breakfast cereal that sticks with me throughout the morning. One time I even ate it for dinner because we had eaten breakfast out and used mucho points.

Anyone who hasn't tried it needs to give it a whirl.

Betsy
222.6/216/140

morrigan
03-06-2001, 12:17 PM
One more Kashi lover posting here. I eat it every day and love the kind that you cook like rice. I have it for breakfast with applesauce. For dinner I stir fry onions, eggplant, mushrooms and red peppers and put some water and kashi in the oven with the veggies mixed in for a delicous meal or side dish.

Way to go Mrs. Jim! 10 lbs to go is a great place to be :)

Mini Mony
03-06-2001, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by BetsyTC
I personally call it twigs and stems, but I LOVE IT

Don't forget the bark flakes...twigs, stems and bark. :laughing: But I love Good Friends too. And in all fairness I think I've figured out the secret of GoLean....never, ever get it wet! (Like that Gremlin movie) It's not half bad as a dry snack.

Bannod
03-06-2001, 02:57 PM
Am I the only one who likes the GoLean cereal? I must be, 'cuz I can't find it in our town anymore. :(

Gotta laugh at the bark, stems and twigs comment!

Oh well, I'm quite happy with the Good Friends cereal. I've even bought it by the case from their website.

Donna

Rupertsmom
03-06-2001, 03:09 PM
No, Donna, you're not alone. I like the Go-Lean cereal, too. The only problem I have with it is that it's not good for dry snacking. I like to have a baggy full of cereal (like Kashi) in the car in case I get the munchies. The Go-Lean stuff is not car friendly and is best left within a bowl full of milk. :D It's also not as easy to find in my area as Kashi Good Friends is.

MrsJim
03-06-2001, 07:12 PM
Well...the box calls it twigs too...

I went to Trader Joe's this weekend and bought 4 boxes! At $1.99 you can't beat it (they also have Go Lean for $1.99 as well, and the Puffins/Shredded Spoonfuls for $2.99 ea). If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, check 'em out!

MrsJim
265/156(wah!)/145

Went up a pound...time of month I guess!

Sumsitup
03-12-2001, 02:00 PM
My sister turned me on to Kashi Go Lean and Good Friends, I really like it. I was unsure at first, but I love all the fiber I get with it. My only problem is that it is hard to find in stores around my area. I do not have a Trader Joe's anywhere near me, but I did find kashi.com and I have been able to order stuff off the website. Go Kashi!!!!

food for thought
03-14-2001, 06:19 AM
Hi All;
I really find this topic helpful because I never know what to have for breakfast. I think I found something. Thanks! I,m not sure how to cook with it for other meals. Does anyone have some tasty recipes with kasha? Whole grains are so useful for weight loss, yet I only use brown rice and that not enough. That's about all I have to say for now. Will see how it effects my weight. Till Later Bye, Lee

ChrissyB
03-14-2001, 06:37 PM
I just stared WW a few weeks back and I tried Kashi and I LOVE IT!! Here are a few things that I do with it.

I love to use it mixed with vanilla flavored yogurt, applesauce and a little Splenda or sweetner that you like. You can add some cinnamon or pumpkin pie or apple pie spice to this. Very filling!!

I've also taken the GF and put some of the ICBINB spray on it nuked it for a minute or so and sprinkled it with cinnamon and Splenda.

I bet you could make a killer muffin with this stuff...anyone tried that one yet?

ladydi
03-15-2001, 09:16 AM
Hi Kashi lovers.

After reading this thread I checked out some of the Kashi in my grocery store, they have a Apple one.

It is shaped square with real apple inside...has anyone tried this flavor??

morrigan
03-21-2001, 12:01 AM
I buy kashi pilaf (the kind you cook). I put 1/3 a cup kashi and 4/3 cups water in a saucepan before I get in the shower. When I am done getting dressed I pour on 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce and have a really yummy and filling hot breakfast.

In the evening I chop up eggplant, onion, roasted red peppers, kale or whatever other veggies I have handy, toss in some spices (like garlic, salt, pepper and basil) and 1 cup of pilaf and about 3 cups of water and pop it in the oven for 2-3 hours (or only 45 min if I have precooked some pilaf).

It is really impressive and gourmet as a side dish and really low calorie. -- though when my friends aren't around I eat it for dinner as a main dish.

You could add, chicken, tofu, or shrimp for the full on casseroll thing.

jenny 1
03-21-2001, 06:01 PM
I tried Kashi good friends and Puffins after reading all of your praise. I love both of them!! I didn't care for the cinnamon puffins but loved the regular puffins. The good friends kind of reminded me of a trail mix.

I am going to try the other Kashi products, Thanks for posting all of your testimonials ;)

Jenni

MrsJim
03-21-2001, 08:00 PM
We did buy the Cinnamon Puffins once and they were okay, but a bit too cinnamon-y for us. We like the regular ones!

Barbara's Bakery makes some other good cereals that Trader Joes carries - we like the Shredded Oats & Shredded Spoonfuls as well (especially Jim - who has kicked a Lucky Charms addiction - he likes the slight sweetness of these cereals).

Puffins would probably be a good alternative kids' cereal since they are a bit sweet - but not overwhelmingly so.

ChrissyB
03-22-2001, 09:10 AM
In my local store I've noticed that they also have chocolate Puffins. I havent bought them yet....worried I might get carried away. Has anyone tried these yet?

MrsJim
03-26-2001, 01:26 PM
...our Trader Joe's doesn't carry the chocolate Puffins yet...but I did try the new Kashi "Go Lean Crunch" and now I'm hooked on that one as well!

Only problem is that the calories are significantly higher than Good Friends...but I'm a cereal mixer - like to mix different kinds together.

Also, I've started using nonfat light yogurt (Safeway's is less than 100 calories a container!) instead of milk sometimes. A nice change!

KO
03-26-2001, 03:00 PM
I loooove Kashi my sis swears by the Golean bars and iw ant to try the shakes

Polly Esther
04-02-2001, 02:20 PM
Can anyone tell me how many WW points 1 c. of kashi puffed cereal is? My box gives nutrition for 20g, not a cup and I don't have a scale yet to weigh it and figure out how much that really equals.

Thanks

MrsJim
04-02-2001, 03:14 PM
Jim is now totally addicted to Kashi's new GO LEAN CRUNCH! cereal. He actually went to Trader Joe's with me yesterday to make sure I stocked up (bought 4 boxes!).

According to Jim it tastes just like Cracker Jack (and he's right - again...). As you probably know by now, I'm a cereal mixer, so I mix this with Good Friends (which has a little granola thing going on as well). We blew through a box of GLCrunch on Sunday between the two of us...

MrsJim
04-02-2001, 03:19 PM
Polly - according to www.kashi.com -

Regular Kashi (1 cup) = 1 starch/bread exchange

Honey Puffed Kashi (1 Cup) = 1/2 Fruit; 1 Bread

Polly Esther
04-02-2001, 03:25 PM
Ok I'm dense...

Thank You MrsJim

How does that translate to a WW Point?

*L*

MrsJim
04-02-2001, 04:23 PM
Jeeeeez, I haven't been on WW in eons (1997 was the last time, I believe). Has it changed THAT much?!?

Can't believe WW doesn't have exchanges anymore!

Hopefully someone currently on WW will see this and answer!

Polly Esther
04-02-2001, 06:25 PM
WW has changed THAT much

No longer do you eat 5 veg, 3 fruit, 5 starch,,, yadda yadda.

Now you just eat points. Every food has a point value. You eat, you count points. Stop when you've reached your total for the day.

You could eat ring dings all day, as long as you only eat as many as you can in your allotted point range.

I bought a scale tonight, so I'll weigh out 20 g and then figure out how much it is in cups and do the conversion.

Thanks!!

Girlie
04-02-2001, 07:27 PM
Hey, guys....I peer at the boxes of Kashi in the health food store. What does the Good Friends
TASTE like? I like the Honey Puffed..and I have to try the Crunch now because Mrs Jim said
CRACKER JACKS!!!

barbs88
04-08-2001, 11:34 PM
I see you bought a scale but most of those high fiber cereals come out to 1 pt per 1/2 cup.

Polly Esther
04-09-2001, 06:33 AM
Teh Kashi cereal is soooo light, that it took 2 cups to make up the 20g on the box. According to me and my little slide rule, those 2 cups are only 1 point.

Does this sound correct?

barbs88
04-09-2001, 01:36 PM
My last box is gone so could you share the cal, fat, etc?????

Polly Esther
04-09-2001, 05:06 PM
Puffed Kashi
made by: The Kashi Company

per 20g serving (it's puffed, so about 2 cups weighs 20g)

69 cal
2.6 g protein
0.5g fat
15 g Carb
2 g fibre

barbs88
04-10-2001, 11:58 AM
Wow...that'll teach me to weigh, not measure. :)

diamondlady2
04-18-2001, 12:54 AM
Well i guess u could call me a kashi lover too! I have been eating Good Friends, kashi medley, and the breakfast pilaf off and on for almost a yr now! and i love all of them! i especially like good friends and the breakfast pilaf. i just got in the mail ( i bought online) the 2 slim kits for women that contain the meal replacement, the kashi snack bars, and also the go lean cereal which i have never tried. has anyone ever tried the bars and the meal replacement drink?? just wondering. i am going to start using all of this and see if i like them. i especically like the good friends and the breakfast pilaf especially when i work the midnight shift as these cereals do keep me regular and i like to snack with the good friends. just hope i like the go lean too. i like the pilaf with milk a little honey applesauce, or raisins or any fruit... i fix it just like i am eating oatmeal! i have heard that people have lost weight on kashi too. i don't know of any..... but i know that my dads dr told him to get some of the kashi cereal too. so it must be good!! well thats all for now! thanx for listening!

diamondlady 2

Ilene
04-18-2001, 08:00 PM
Ok I finally did it....bought the Kashi Good Friend Cereal.... Very good I must say.... But in Canada, it's $4.99/box!! But that's ok, no one else eats it...it's MINE all MINE!!..lol... I add one tablespoon of ground flax seed to mine, and that has 3 grams of fibre, so along with 8 grams in the cereal....wow...I'm doing good...I read somewhere if you eat whole flax seed they go right through you without being digested, this is why you should ground them.....

Hope everyone has a good OP day!!

Lana.....:lol:.....

Punky
04-18-2001, 08:34 PM
Yummy, I take 1 cup of kashi gf in a baggie to work everyday and that is to snack on on the way home from work so I am not so ravished when I get home that I eat everything in sight. It gives me enough satisfaction that it holds me over until I can get dinner on the table.

Brenda

geerp
04-22-2001, 08:54 AM
Yes I just bought a box the other day and I can't get over how good it is for only 90 calories. I bought it for myself and found the kids eating it for a snack the other night. Now I need to go buy some extra boxes and hide a box for myself. lol

lighter
04-24-2001, 01:44 PM
Mrs.Jim. My husband also said the new Kashi Go Lean Crunch tasted like Cracker Jacks. I'd also say it tastes like Kettle Corm. Just love it dry for a snack. I'm a Go Lean Choco Peanut Butter Bar addict also. I don't care for Good Friends but like Go Lean and Puffs. That is generally my lunch with some dried cranberries and milk. Breakfast? my cinnamon bran muffins is my staple breakfast.