Old 07-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #1  

Default ok, here I go, new and could use suggestions

Hi,
I am ready to try again, for 40 millionth time. I'm sure this is familiar.
So, I am happily married (25 years), 51 years old, my job is sedentary, I used to like to exercise and I don't mind counting calories. At this point I get out of breath really easy (scary). I've done weight watchers successfully and would go back but it is tooooo expensive. I prefer to eat the same things for breakfast and lunch, then change dinner everyday. I don't have big hunger problems, getting full is easy. I love potato chips and ice cream. I am not vegetarian (anymore), not crazy about seafood, but love veggies!
I used to lose weight really easily but could not get under 230 for the past 10 years or so. I always bounce back to around 250, get motivated and lose again. This time, it isn't working -- yikes!
Atkins - gained weight
Vegetarian - gained weight
Calorie King - probably the best
South beach - so so
Zone - no lose or gain
Weight watchers - lost
Any suggestions?
Hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoji View Post
I've done weight watchers successfully and would go back but it is tooooo expensive.
I felt the same way, so I just used what I learned from doing it in the past, and did it on my own without going to meetings. It's basically the same as counting calories anyway, but when you get used to points it's hard to go back. So I'd suggest that you try it without meetings and use 3FC for weekly weigh-ins and accountability, and you could do it counting either calories OR points! The fact that you already love veggies is a huge bonus, by the way!

As for getting out of breath easily, I'd suggest just starting really slowly with the exercise. Do a short, easy walk a few times a week and then bump it up gradually both in terms of length and intensity. I started with 25-minute walks three times a week and now I run between 25 and 30 miles a week!

You can do this, and there are lots of great people here to support you along the way!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #3  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi Hoji and
I am sorry I can't help you with these plans, I have never payed money to lose weight. I don't eat meat , or poultry only seafood, so my food plan won't help you much, but I can give you some suggestions.
I use fitday.com to track what I am eating, where are the calories coming from ect... My plan is counting calories and exercising, and it is working. Maybe at night you can walk , first a little and every day a little more time. For food , I do suggest getting all junk out of the house and replacing it with things you think you can eat. If I think of anything else, I will post it later. Good luck and hope you stick around. cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #4  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Welcome, Hoji!

The best plan is the one that fits into your lifestyle and that you know you can stick with. I'm doing Weight Watchers, other people are calorie counting or doing South Beach, Atkins etc - you name the diet, someone on here is probably doing it...
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 211/200/165

Height: 5' 2.5" (HW: 222)

Thumbs up Gentle reminder to get your annual physical

Hi! I'm going to be 57 in September, so we're roughly in the same ballpark. In Dec,2004 I was sick nearly all month with what I called "the virus from ****". I was so sick I missed holiday gettogethers, got an ear infection from which I lost hearing--anyway, it was really bad. March'05 I joined WW (for the wrong reason, to spend time w/a friend, not cuz I wanted to be a member). I started to gain weight! Even accounting for my bad attitude toward WW, that shouldn't have happened. So I went to my doctor, got some bloodwork done.

Well, I wasn't diabetic, as I'd feared--but MY THYROID HAD STOPPED WORKING! The doc couldn't say for sure, but it looked like my body was trying to fight that virus so hard, it ended up attacking itself/me! He told me THERE IS AN EPIDEMIC OF HYPOTHYROIDISM AMONG WOMEN IN THEIR 50'S.

Once it was addressed, I could lose weight again. It certainly can't hurt, and it very likely can help, to go see your doctor & check it out. After all (as I said to my WW group): How many of us here have heard the phrase "Before you start any weight loss program, go see your doctor"? Nearly everyone raised their hand. Then I asked, "How many of us have actually done this?" Only 2 or 3 people did, and I was not among them, either.

So do yourself right and clear away any problems before they get big. I was able to correct my hypothyroidism BEFORE I STARTED TO LOSE ANY HAIR! That's one of the things that happens if you don't catch it early enough!

Oh, yeah--and I can lose weight again! As you can see I've lost 13 pounds in the last 3 months. So get that bloodwork done!
FatToFitVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 262.2/199.8/150

Height: 5'5

I am doing Weight Watchers. Always have.......always lost weight.

BUT I NEVER CHANGED ANY OF THE HABITS THAT LED ME BACK TO WW'S IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

I am now doing WW's again--Core program--and I am taking it slow and easy. It is no longer a race to lose the weight. I am changing WHY I gained the weight in the first place.

I am learning that I can have anything my heart desires. In proper portion control. And not on a daily basis. I am learning that food isn't bad--it isn't the enemy. And I shouldn't feel guilty if I put something deemed "bad" in my mouth. It no longer means to go bonkers---it means it's time to forget it and move on.

I am doing this for my health this last time. I am learning how to live the rest of my life with food in my world.

There might be times I will get weak and slip.....but I no longer beat myself up over it. I'm human. I'm going to win this battle!!!!!!!!
KayLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I think it's good advice to get checked out by the doctor before you start. Then if there is something wrong, you can get that under control and not fight against it. Losing weight is hard enough when your body is cooperating!

I count calories and fiber. I find if I keep the fiber count up, the calories come down much easier. Really it comes down to if you eat all the cardboard and raw stuff you should, you don't have room for a whole package of oreos. :-) That's the short version - let me know if you need a list of high fiber foods that won't make you fat. I even know the foods that are high in fiber but not so high in methane gas production. :-) Good luck with whatever you choose!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi there and welcome. Glad to have you on board.

I love counting calories. It works for me. The counting part forces me to set limits, which I sorely need. I would have no problem overeating even healthy foods, so yeah, I need to count the calories. I eat mostly low fat proteins and tons and tons of high fiber veggies . I all but elminated added sugars, flour and grains. I had no control over them and decided to do totally away with them and now I no longer crave them. Yay!!! I eat every 2 1/2 hours or so, drink lots of water and exercise everyday, although I didn't always exercise 7 days a week. That's basically MY plan - and I'm stickin' to it.

Good luck to you. I look forward to hearing more from you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #9  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Glad you've found our group, Hoji!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote