Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Default Are you kidding me?

I honestly feel like the exercise universe is turning against me. Does anybody ever feel like the harder they try to make progress the more the powers that be fight you?

I swear the exercise universe is against me. Today was the final straw that blew my mind.

First of all, my elliptical broke. I used it everyday, now i cant get anyone out here to fix it. The ellipitical was my MAIN exercise of my daily routine.

Then, while my elliptical was broke, i went to my old stand by of exercise dvd's. My laptops cd-rom broke. (at this point, i said, what the?...)

So i started going over to my fathers houes to swim in his pool. Huge, awesome inground pool that i had to myself and my daughter. Well, i found out my stepmother is going to be home during the day for 2 weeks, she and her daughter are going to be using it...i just wouldnt feel comfortable interupting their time in there. It is her vacation and i would feel like i was intruding.

Ok, fine whatever, so i buy a new dvd player and get some fresh new videos to do exercises with. I am pumped up and exciting about doing these new exercise vidoes.

I wake up this morning, stretch in the bed and twist my neck and feel a strain/sharp pain. Now i am doing all i can do keep my head up...my neck/jaw/bottom of my head is KILLING ME. Hurts to move it even slightly.

So at this point i have to ask ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????? Has anyone EVER had this kind of luck with exercise. I swear it feels like the universe is fighting me on this.

Well i have a good mind to just wrap my neck and push on through exercise, but it hurts so bad, i mostly just move my eyes and turn my shoulders to even function this morning. My neck is seriously hurting. What the heck?

I am still trying to lose back down to what i was before i went on vacation a month ago. GEEZE. I am not giving up, or anything like that but gosh i am just frustrated. Is it so much to ask that i get a few good days of exercise in?
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #2  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

for you!! Sounds like you need it!!

You know those days where everything is just not going in your favor happens a lot - at least it does to me! But I try my best to do whatever I can for the day because the sun will always shine for another day. I know that's a bad attitude to have, but it works for me.

Before I go any further, don't you think you should see a doctor if your neck hurts that bad just to rule out anything serious? Just a suggestion.

I was thinking that maybe you can exercise other portions of your body while keeping your neck steady? How about lying on the floor and lifting your legs straight up (perpendicular to your upper half) and try lifting your butt off the ground. That's an exercise for the abs. You can do lunges too, those shouldn't hurt your neck if you keep it straight. For the arms you can do push ups against the wall but I don't know if that would hurt your neck muscles. Anyway, those are some exercises to tide you over while your neck gets better.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #3  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

I swear Iīm not much into schadenfreude, but I giggled at your post.

Donīt worry about exercising until your neck feels well. Good luck next time!

(sorry for laughing!)
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! What a complete and total DRAG!!!

Yeah, one can really get into conspiracy theories! What can it all be about?

My suggestion would be that you get to a chiropractor (Doctor of Chiropractic) ASAP. Check around for a good one--ask your friends, etc. Palmer trained are often the best. You've put your neck out and it most likely can be easily realigned. In the meantime, use ice packs on your neck. Don't try to exercise. Take some anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, aspirin--as long as you are allowed to take those).

Remember that this is not medical advice but only my opinion.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:07 AM   #5  

Thanks guys. I think i just strained it. I felt it the second i stretched....oh if i could only go back in time...boy would i skip that stretch. But i think it is muscular. If it is still here tomorrow i am definately going to see someone about it.

Usually stuff like this goes away once i sleep all night, i guess the sleep lets it rest. So i will see how it feels in the morning. But really it is SO sore this morning, i am having a hard time even cleaning the house. I took a hot shower and let the water hit it and it felt great while the water was on it, but it hurts so bad, i couldnt even rince the shampoo out of my hair right. I just couldnt tilt me head back...insane.

But i LOVE your idea of ibuprofen...i will definately dope up on some nsaids today.

I just had to share my frustration. I get so mad at myself. Stupid stretch.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

Maybe the universe is telling you to take a day or so off-LOL!

Try and stay positive! Once your neck heals, you'll be on fire to get out and exercise. {hugs}
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

The last time i hurt my neck, i alternated between hot and cold compresses. I was laying in bed and was looking behind me to see if i had a little one in bed with me and i heard a "snap". I could barely get out of bed it hurt so bad. I DO NOT recommend doing any excersizes until your neck feels better. You could seriously hurt yourself. I know it sucks to not be able to excersize. Maybe if you can wrap your neck with a warm compress or something, you could just go out for a leizurely walk. But i don't recommend anything else until your neck is better. It took about 3 or 4 days before my neck stopped hurting.

Good luck to you. Just be paitent and continue to eat healthy while you're on the mend.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #8  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

I have that "universe is against me" thing all the time, but in the eating area mostly these days.

I plan a good eating day, and then my mother in law calls and wants to go out to eat. Usually to Mexican or pizza, my weakest areas. I love mexican and pizza!

I pack a great, healthy lunch for work, and I leave it in the fridge at home.

I plan on eating some 94% ff kettle corn for a late night snack, and my hubby said he ate it. He also ate the leftover chicken I was going to eat for lunch.

A few years ago, when the kids were younger, the exercise thing I can totally relate to. I would get on the treadmill after finally talking myself into it, and my son would come over and need water, a snack, to just talk to me, and he always got way to close to the treadmill and made me nervous. I constantly was yelling at the kids to stay away from mommy when she is on the treadmill, but it seemed THAT was the time they needed me most! Unbelievable.

Oh, and everytime I get on the treadmill it seems, that's when someone out in the world wants to give me a call on the phone. Never fails. Why they didn't call me 5 minutes before or 5 minutes after, I'll never know. They just know! The universe just may be against me too. It sure feels that way. So glad I'm not the only one.

Heidi
doIlookfat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/157/25

Height: 5'7''

Wow...

Yeah that happens to me alot.
It sucks.
But it'll be worth all the frustration in the end.
Leygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:18 PM   #10  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

My mother always said that there would be days like these, and unfortunately, they occur.

I am so sorry things aren't working out for you right now, but keep your spirits high. As another poster said- put a warm compress on and go for a walk, if you really need to exercise, but don't do anything else. Do you have a heating pad? Maybe that would help a bit as well.

Is there a lake or any other body of water you can swim in near you, while your father's pool is occupied? Any public outdoor pools you can go to?

I hope you feel better soon.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #11  

oh my gosh heidi....your life sounds just like mine. That is crazy...you are absolutely on to something...with the food as well. The carefully made lunch that you forget and leave at home. OH MY GOSH. there are other people that go through the same crap...lol...it is so comforting.

I do think i will try to walk later...i am just so mad i cant do my new video.