Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 07-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/142/138

Height: 5'4"

Default I had a belt lipectomy

I am new to this forum, so I'm not too sure about where and what to post. I would imagine this section is for people who have had gastric bypass. I haven't had that. However, 5 weeks ago I had a belt lipectomy (lower body lift) to remove loose skin and repair my stomach muscles. I lost 75 pounds with VLC (very low carb) and Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution. I have had type 1 diabetes for 26 years.

I think what I am mainly saying is that even if you have a metabolic disease, or a similar health situation, you CAN lose the weight. AND, you probably have more options than you realize. My doctors approved me for my lipectomy....and you know what? I have healed just as well, if not faster, than "normal" people.

Let me know if you are interested in my situation. Happy to share.
Sara<><
p.s. I did post in the introduction section.
Princess Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Sara, thanks for posting this. It gives me hope. I have lost my weight and am maintaining. I didn't ever think it would be possible for me to have any type of surgery for the loose skin because of my health issues. But, I am going to ask my Dr. and see what he says. I would love to be able to have the loose skin from my arms removed. (Of course, other places need it too but this is where it bothers me the most and limits my clothing).
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Sara and Meg did you notice a weight loss after getting rid of the excess skin. I read of one person who lost 8 pounds after a tummy tuck,I would like to do it but I dread surgery of any kind.I've got a lot of excess skin , I hate it.A number of years ago I had a large tumor about 11 pounds along with dieting and regaining I am left with this horrid stomach flapping in the breeze.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #4  
Meg

I didn't have any weight loss because I'd didn't really have any fat left there, so the only thing taken off was skin, which is very light. Often some fat is removed along with the skin, though, and you'll see a weight loss then.

I certainly noticed inches lost!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I was thinking the skin itself must weigh something,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #6  
Meg

My doctor explained to me that they lift up the skin and drain it of all its fluids before they remove it, so it doesn't weigh much. When we hold up a handful of our skin, it's full of blood and fluids, so feels much heavier than the skin alone actually is.

But many people have some fat attached to the skin, so will see a nice weight loss with skin removal.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #7  
WLS Diva &amp;amp;amp; mommy!

S/C/G: 254/140/140

Height: 5'3"

I agree...you'd be surprised that excess skin doesn't weigh as much as it looks like it does. So far the most I've heard of someone loosing with a tummy tuck is my friend Tina. She had WLS 4 years ago and was maintaining a 200 lb loss. Her panni hung down to her mid thigh. When they took that off they removed 15 lbs! She feels great...for the first time in her life she can see "down there". Although I don't have that much skin/tissue remaining...I definitely have enough for a tummy tuck and can't wait to have it done. Unfortunately we're planning another baby early next year...so the plastics will have to wait until after that baby is born. Ah well...

Kristy
goddess819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:10 PM   #8  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I was thinking the skin itself must weigh something,

As they love to say in plastic surgery: It is about the inches and not the pounds.

These are more body sculpting procedures than weight loss procedures.

I did not notice a loss due to the surgeries but more because I have continued dieting and exercising throughout. Unless one would want to credit the surgeries with a 40lb weight loss. As if!! I would have had the surgeries 10 times over if that were the case!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

Does a lower body lift include the thighs ?????
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #10  
Meg

Last edited by Meg; 12-18-2016 at 07:31 PM.