Veggie Challenged - Hummus Recipes

View Full Version : Hummus Recipes

Leenie
07-04-2007, 07:49 PM
I didn't know where to put these hummus recipes sooooooo ;)

Hummus
1 can garbonzo beans
1 tsp. peanut butter
1 T. lemon juice
salt to taste
1-2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. cumin

Drain beans, reserving liquid. Place drained beans and remaining ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth, adding small amount of reserved liquid from bean, if needed.

Black Bean Hummus
1 can garbonzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 cloves garlic
2-4 T. cilantro
Juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
Dash of Tabasco sauce
2 T. cumin
1 T. fresh parsley

Place all ingredients into a food processor or blender and whiz until fairly smooth.

Red Pepper Hummus
2 c. cooked chickpeas( garbonzo beans)
1/2 c. roasted red pepper
1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 T. peanut butter
3 cloves garlic
1 t. salt

Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.

Serve with fresh vegetables.

I have not tried them.

Suzanne 3FC
07-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks! I love hummus :) I would have never thought to mix garbanzo and black beans, that sounds good!

elmuyloco5
07-23-2007, 09:47 PM
X

Rhighlan86
07-26-2007, 12:33 AM
I've never had hummus, but that first recipe sound soo good that I may have to try it. What do you eat it with though?

elmuyloco5
07-26-2007, 01:24 AM
X

kaplods
07-26-2007, 01:29 AM
I make bean pastes from all sorts of beans, even baked beans.

Basically I just throw a can of beans any kind (drained) into a food processor with some seasonings.

The first bean paste/dip I ever made was from a diet cookbook recipe that was just baked beans (vegetarian, not pork and means), a little onion, and about a tbs of catsup or barbecue sauce. It was really good on toast.

I make hummus with just garbanzo beans, fresh garlic and a little lemon juice.

Every time I find a new variety of bean, I end up trying it in a bean paste. I think my favorites are butter beans, cannellini beans (I may have mispelled that, basically it's a white kidney bean), and pink beans (they were pink, I don't remember if they were actually called pink beans. They were about the size of a large pinto bean, and a pretty shade of pink).

SarahJayne
09-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Hummus recipe without oil! I love hummus but tahini and olive oil are too fatty for me to use with my eating plan so I will have to give some of those a try!

msroboto
03-23-2008, 06:51 PM
How bad is tahini?

I have been using maybe a tablespoon to one can of garbanzo beans. That probably is for like 8 servings. A serving being a pita pocket for lunch with a couple of tablespoons of hummus and some raw red onion on top.

I figure it's not that much per serving but would be willing to try substitutes if I'm totally off the wall in my thinking. I assume that the peanut butter has some of the fat as well. So how much more fat using tahini instead of peanut butter.

KateB
03-23-2008, 07:08 PM
I am going to have to try these!! I LOVE black beans!!! I can't wait to try that recipe!! THANKS!!!

Lizzard
03-23-2008, 10:08 PM
"How bad is tahini? I have been using maybe a tablespoon to one can of garbanzo beans."

Just a tablespoon to one can of beans sounds really healthy.

I made hummus tonight and added about a third of a CUP of tahini AND a good amount of olive oil (arghh !!!!) (....and garbanzo beans, garlic, lemon juice, salt, a bit of cumin.) Sigh :( It was soo good, too good. Of course I ate way too much. I always think I can make delicious hummus and have a reasonable amount with carrot sticks and celery. Nope. I'm going to try your guys' suggestions (just a touch of tahini, other types of beans, etc.) Thanks for the ideas!

Kriket84
05-21-2008, 10:27 AM
OT but Tahini and dates are awesome snacks

VelVeeta
05-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I've never had hummus, but that first recipe sound soo good that I may have to try it. What do you eat it with though?

Veggies or pita bread is most common

tdiprincess
05-21-2008, 07:53 PM
The tahini that I get at the store has no added oil.. it is high in fat... but has good protein base. I use it in the breakfast cereal bars I make along with peanut butter.. and sometimes I'll take a tablespoon and dip my fruit or veggies into it...
everything is good in moderation..
But I will try making some hummus.. I don't have any garbanzo beans right now.. but I think I will try Kaplods advice and just start experimenting with bean pastes... I'm glad I found this thread :D

I don't do canned beans, I do dried and bulk (cheaper) If anyone else does that.. any recommended cooking temps.. should I wait and chill the beans after cooking to process them? Thanks!

mayness
06-07-2008, 10:43 AM
That black bean hummus sounds wonderful, I definitely need to try that! I've always got cans of black beans around anyway, they're my favorite. :)

Thanks for bumping this one up... and I guess thanks to the forums for eating all the posts above it so I'd see it today, lol!!

LindseyLouWho
06-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Although adding tahini and olive oil are perfectly healthy in hummus, I usually like to eat A LOT of hummus so I don't use them. Instead, I just use a little bit more of the reserved bean liquid from the can. That way, basically all of the calories in my hummus are from the beans.