Old 07-04-2007, 01:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Dresses Sizes???

I received an invitation to my cousins wedding in September. It is at a very nice place and says "black tie optional". Well, normally I would be freaking out because I would never be able to find a dress that fits me. But now that I've lost so much weight I'm kindof excited at the prospect of getting to go out and buy a new dress. However I have two problems, first I have no clue of what would be a good place to start shopping at. I figure I'm probable not going to buy it until September. I don't want to buy it now because I'm afraid it will be too big on me when it comes time to wear it. So any suggestions on where would be a reasonable priced place to get a formal dress. Second, I have no clue what size to try on. I am a terrible judge of my own size since I've lost weight. (My sister instituted a rule that I am not allowed to buy anything until I try it on because I buy everything way to big if I don't). So I was wondering if anyone was my around my height/weight (now or at any time in their past) that had a suggestion of what size to start trying on. Obviously I'm going to have to try things on to find the right size but I don't want to start unreasonable too big or small.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I would have a friend (or your sister maybe) take your measurements and then look up size charts online. Everyone's body is so different. I know women who are my height and my weight and they wear a completely different size. Many factors play in (frame size, fitness level, body type, etc.) Measurements will probably be the most helpful. Just don't get upset if a size chart says something different from what ends up fitting you. It's just a good starting point.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

You will definitely need to try things on because sizes vary so much from designer to designer, and even within a single designer, from dress to dress. And every one holds their weight a little differently, so it's hard for an online community (even one as great as 3FC) to provide a definitive answer.

But, that said, I know what you're going through, having just purchased a dress myself for a function in August. I wound up buying a dress that's a little tight on me right now, but should be fine with another 5 - 10 pounds of wiggle room. Don't know what your price range is, but Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, J Crew, etc. all have more formal lines that are good options, and of course, whatever your local department store is, it should have some options for you to try. I was at your weight not long ago, and would start trying in the 12 - 14 range, and work your way down if those sizes are too big. But, only trial and error will tell. Good luck - and post a picture!
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:56 AM   #4  
Mom to an active 1 yr old

S/C/G: 175/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'8

Don't be discouraged either...because you are usually a size bigger in dresses than your normal clothing size...just because how they are made. But I would just trying on sizes...maybe start off in a larger size...so if it's too big you can then try the size smaller. Good luck and I am sure you will have fun trying on dresses
Alaynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:07 AM   #5  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm around your weight and height (5'5" 193 lbs.) and I wear a size 14 dress, having said that my friend weighs the same as me and is 1 inch taller and wears a size larger (go figure), it doesn't make much sense at a glance but it just comes down to how our bodies are put together. Your best bet would be to take your measurements and then go to some online sights and look at their size charts. Good luck!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #6  

Agreed with Zenor, get out a tape measure and look at the size charts for a starting point.

Also, don't leave the shopping until the last minute. You never know what's going to be out of stock or need alterations.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #7  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

What do you mean by "reasonably priced?" i can help better if you give me a range.
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #8  

Thanks for your suggestions. Like I said I did plan on trying everything on but I was just looking for a starting point. I wasn't exactly sure how dress sizes run in comparison with clothing sizes.

By reasonable price I'm looking for something around $100. I realize formal dresses are expensive and would probable be willing to go a little over that to like $150 but I hate spending so much on a dress that will probable not fit me that long (and I don't have that many occasions to wear it.)
Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

Because you are on the shorter side, you might want to try out Ann Taylor Loft. Most of the work is more business-y, but I've gotten some gorgeous dresses there. Sizing goes up to 16 and they have a petites section which may fit you better.
Romeos Girly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:13 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

What I usually do when I go shopping and am unsure of my size is hold the item up to me in the store and see where the seams lie on the widest part of my body (usually the bust). Try to find sizes where the seam tucks under your arms, down the middle of your body. Then grab that size, plus the one below it and the one above it. It's especially helpful if you're shopping with a friend. They can play gopher for you!

Have fun shopping. 111 pounds is amazing! I'd be living in the mall at that point.
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:48 AM   #11  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

romeos suggestion is good... i was going to say ann taylor petites or ann taylor loft - the loft is less expensive. jcrew and banana can be more on the expensive side, but you can sometimes catch a good deal. or try a good department store sale, there will more variety of brands and fits, etc. whatever you decide to do, i guarantee it will be FUN, you've lost so much weight and now you get to show it off!!!
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:23 AM   #12  

I actually decided not to wait until September and I'm going to go looking tomorrow. I as talking to my sister (we are best friends) and she made the point that this is wedding season and I'm more likely to find something now then in September. Plus she pointed out that at lot of stores are having sales on their dresses right now.

So what I think I'm going to do is buy a size that fits me now and one that is tight and then return whichever one I don't use.

I've never been to Ann Taylor's Loft. I'm going to have to look them up and figure out where their is one around here.

Thanks again for all the compliments and help. Shopping is never recking for me because I never know what size to wear. I've been putting off buying too much clothing because I don't want to waste the money. I've come a long way but still have a long way to go.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:41 PM   #13  

Height: 5'4"

Good luck. You'll have to show us what you find!
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #14  

I went shopping and got a black dress, full lenth, satin, that fits me perfect. And it will still look good on me if I lose weight. Plus the best part is it was on clearance and it was only $15. I use to never find things on clearance when I was bigger. I'm going to keep trying it on before the wedding to ensure that I don't need to get a new dress and return this one. This one was a 16, I could also fit into the 14s but the didn't zip by my chest. I'm a lot less worried becuase I tried on so many dress all of which looked good on me. So I know even if I need to go get something more last minute I will still be ok.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #15  

Oh I would post pictures but I need someone else to take them because when I use the self timmer the camera ends up sitting at my waist and doesn't look right with the shine on the dress.