Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #1  
dum dee dum

S/C/G: 213/185/140

Height: 5'7½"

Default Knees making squeaky noises as I bend

Hi all . I was just wondering whether anyone else has had the same problem. Whenever I sit down and straighten a leg in front of me, then bend it slowly, I seem to hear a muffled crunch. I thought my legs were particularly strong but now I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm too heavy on top or my thigh muscles are not strong enough. There is no pain when I bend at all but I'm growing a little worried that I could do serious damage when I run. I haven't had any problem with it before but just noticed the squeaking recently.
passionfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #2  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Its called crepitus. I have its basically,your cartilage in your knee has degenerated and the crunching you hear is bone on bone. Sad thing is it can't be fixed unless you need a total knee replacement. As long as it doesn't hurt you and you can go on living your life it shouldn't be a problem.
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #3  
Here I go again

I wanted to add. I used to be an avid runner (5 miles every day) mine became worse after that. Now I only make myself speed walk b/c I dont want to damage it any further
Old 07-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

ouch. you might want to see a doctor just to double check.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Crepitus was my vote as well. Ask your doc about getting some glucosamine and chondroiten (spelling?). It is supposed to build back cartiledge. My knees have it really bad from all the weight they have to carry. There are all kinds of over the counter stuff with G&C in it. If you try it, make sure you give it time, it takes 6 weeks to notice the effects, but it is a long term fix. Could help you out alot, especially if yours aren't too damaged at this point...with no pain yet, i am thinking you could really benifit from some pre-emptive therapy, like the G&C.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

My knees sound like popcorn too, I was told that if they don't hurt not to worry about it, and they don't hurt at all... I take glucosamine too... I run only every second day to protect my knees and I also make sure I work my quads, and my legs all around really when I do a gym workout...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #7  
Here I go again

I don't know if any over the counter drugs/supplements are going to build back any cartilage. Once you loose it you loose it (wish i can say the same for fat!). If you think about it.. if you loose part of your ear its not going to grow back, its the same with cartilage in joints. Now, supplements may help with arthritic-like symptoms but its not building cartilage. The best bet is to strengthen leg muscles so that the joints don't have as much stress on them. If all they do is just creak and you have no pain just take precautions to prevent the crepitus from getting worse. That's pretty much all you can do unfortunately.