Exercise! - CT5K - JUly

View Full Version : CT5K - JUly

cakses
07-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Anyone starting this program in July? I finished Day 1 and managed to make it out in one piece without hurting myself. I had to slow my pace and really focus on not shuffling my feet but I did it! I thought it would be awesome if anyone else out there was starting and we could keep each other on track!

Cat

glitterlicious
07-02-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm starting week #3 tomorrow.

Definetly stick with it. It's such a great program.

I can't even imagine running 30 minutes in a row but each week I know I am getting closer and closer...but at a gradual enough pace that I'm challenging myself without killing myself.

Good luck out there and keep everyone posted on your progress.

cakses
07-05-2007, 04:23 PM
well i am still running but man my legs are killing me! i made it yesterday and it was a bit sore but i finished and then last night we ended up walking another 2 miles from our parking spot to fireworks and my knees were screaming at me! i hope friday is better to me.

what do you do on your days off? right now i walk but once i am not as sore was wondering what other people do?

ItsAboutTime
07-05-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm doing it. I haven't finished week 1 yet though because I haven't run in a week. I don't get leg issues it's the side stitches that bother me.

I know I need to get back at it but it's soooo much cooler inside doing my WATP video!

HeatherAngel
07-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi Cat!

I am currently on Week Four; I usually run about five times for each week, rather than three (but not five times a week - that might kill me! :lol3: so I am actually in my fifth week running, but on week four) and I LOVE it - never thought I'd be a runner... and yet, yesterday, just because it poured rain and I wouldn't run in the rain - we bought a treadmill!

I swear to you - I never thought I'd be able to do it - week one was SO hard... and ItsAboutTime, the stitches were horrible, but they passed... and then at the end of week two, I thought - how will I EVER do week three... and the same again for week four. But I AM doing it - and you will too! It ain't pretty, sexy or even feminine - well, not the way *I* run!!!! - but I am getting stronger and fitter, and this is the best bunch of people I have ever had the good fortune to meet!

Check in often, post lots, and let us know how you are getting on - you'll LOVE IT!! :yes:

Heather :D

cakses
07-05-2007, 07:44 PM
so you mean you did the runs 5 times instead of 3 before moving on to the next week? that's an idea. i feel much better today although i haven't gone on my walk yet hehe. but i am less sore than day 2 when i thought i was going to die. i think i can do this, but still the thought of running 1 mile, let alone 3 is daunting!

onthetee
07-05-2007, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=ItsAboutTime;1761381]I'm doing it. I haven't finished week 1 yet though because I haven't run in a week. I don't get leg issues it's the side stitches that bother me.
[QUOTE]

I have had side stitches all my life. I remember having them in elementary school! The Cool Running website has information that has helped me (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/227.shtml). I am doing a variation of the program, but I am roughly at week five. I have not had an issue since I read their advice on week two. I have been doing 12 minutes this week, and I hope to do 15 tomorrow. I work really hard to inhale and exhale on the left foot.

HTH

onthetee
07-05-2007, 10:04 PM
well i am still running but man my legs are killing me! i made it yesterday and it was a bit sore but i finished and then last night we ended up walking another 2 miles from our parking spot to fireworks and my knees were screaming at me! i hope friday is better to me.

what do you do on your days off? right now i walk but once i am not as sore was wondering what other people do?

On my days off, I do the elliptical at the gym for 40 or 45 minutes and stay over 9 MPH on it at a level 7.

The first week, I think is the worst. It gave me a sense of accomplishment, but mostly, I thought, "I can burn a lot more in less time at the gym." Also, I did not lose any weight the first two weeks, which was a bummer. HOWEVER, my body looked very different. After just the first week my husband said, "You are starting to get a runner's body." I thought he was nuts, but I could see a huge difference in the shape of my lower body. That was motivational.

HeatherAngel
07-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Cat - that's exactly right - I just stretched the programme to build up my endurance and strength - I am still terrified that I'll try too hard and hurt myself and give up! :nono:

cakses
07-06-2007, 06:37 PM
well it's friday and i did the 3rd run of week #1 and i'm sick so it was hard. i got a bit farther this time (i run in my subdivision) but it was quite the strain to get my legs to listen to me when i said "jog"! i am hoping my two days of walking during the weekend will stretch out whatever is sore on me.

does anyone do CT5K on a treadmill or track? once my DH deploys, i won't be able to do my solo runs unless i go to the gym and put the kids in childcare. is it harder to run on a treadmill because you're stuck in the same spot? i used to use them but i really enjoy getting out in my neighborhood and looking at houses and people while i run to keep my mind off how sore i am!

onthetee
07-06-2007, 09:54 PM
I posted in this forum about treadmill vs. road. The treadmill is much, much easier. I am having a huge mental block about getting back on the road. I try to blame humidity, but the reality is that I was able to overcome the 1-mile mark on the treadmill, and I don't know how I will do it on the pavement.

ItsAboutTime
07-07-2007, 03:21 PM
I did my 3rd day of the program yesterday and even though I had waited a week in between the second and third day I found it much easier. I didn't get the stiches and I was able to run a lot more. I'll do a few more days on week 1 and then move to week 2.

I think the fact that I do my WATP 3 mile video all the time helps me move faster for longer now. I may be crazy though.

michelle127
07-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Heather you really are an angel!! I kept thinking - HOW am I going to do this??? You've inspired me to keep going!

I am supposed to do my third day today, but I have a stupid summer cold!! Would it be advisable to "run" (if you can call what I do running - lol) or wait until tomorrow? I just finished week 3 of Jillian Michael's Losing By Winning 12 week exercise program, so I'm thinking my body might be a little tired....

My day off was supposed to be tomorrow, the schedule would be a little mixed up if I don't run today. SO - should I run even though I'm tired and a little stuffy or take my rest day today?? I'm an all or nothing chick, so I could use objective advice.

Thanks,
Michelle

onthetee
07-07-2007, 06:24 PM
I just did a 20 minute warm up on the elliptical (my first love), then I ran 8, walked 4, ran 10!!!

The next step is supposed to be 20 minutes in a row. I just CANNOT fathom it.

Katiebobatie
07-08-2007, 04:34 AM
I'm on week 2 right now, trying to decide if I should do week 2's run a few more times, or if I'm ready to move on to week 3 :D

I actually started this last december, and then moved to texas with my husband for his tech school in the airforce, and I didnt have a safe place to run there so I completely stopped (and gained some weight :() BUT! now I'm ready to get back into it!

cakses
07-09-2007, 03:04 AM
what days do you guys do the runs? i just assumed they meant Mon/Wed/Fri then I read closer and it says space them evenly. So giving myself two days off in a row is bad? My body wanted to run today (but I am sick and it's an off day anyhow). Do you guys spread the runs out more?

Katiebobatie
07-09-2007, 06:16 AM
I do mon/wed/fri with that 2 day break over the weekend. I think the main point is that they want you do it 3 times a week, with at least 1 day off in between runs to give your body a break.

jaxjob
07-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Hello ladies,

I need to start running again, may I join you? I haven't seen the "Couch to 5k" program, but when I was running last I followed what looks like a similar program with a running club. Basically we started at 2 mins walking, 1 running for two weeks, then dropped to 1:1 for a week, followed by increasing the running portion each week. We did do 20 mins straight running in the last week of the program, just to "say we'd done it" but most of the experienced runners stuck to 8:1 (8 mins running, 1 min walking) or 10:1 patterns, including in races. I found I liked 6:1 or 8:1 depending on how I felt that day. Once I get back to that point I plan to stay there - improving my speed and distance, not taking out the walk breaks. Last year I promised myself I would complete a marathon before I'm 45, well I'm almost 41 now and no closer to that! :o

BUT I haven't been running since I moved in August last year. My treadmill is broken (useful for poor weather or when I need to watch the boys) and it seems like I haven't made the effort. I've been doing exercise DVDs but it's not the same. So I would like to start the running up again. Having a group to report progress to would help. I can run outside now and hopefully get my treadmill fixed before the winter, although winters aren't that cold here.

I found when I was running that my clothes fit nicer and the effort was worth it. Although I have lost weight over the time I was running (and plan on continuing that) I find I don't have the shape...

Snuggles,
Jax

onthetee
07-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Welcome, Jax! Here is the Cool Running link:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

As for the previous question....I run when I can. When I can get the sitter, when DH can watch the kids, when the baby won't sleep and I can walk her to sleep. I would like to have a pattern, but my life is lacking those at every turn right now.

HeatherAngel
07-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Morning!

I surprised myself by doing day 2 of week five this morning - and completing it! :D It's supposed to be hot an thundery here again today, so I'm glad I was up and out early... may need a nap soon... :lol:

Onthetee - I HEAR you, girl - 20 minutes??? Are they JOKING? :joker:

Cat, Glitterlicious - how are you two doing??

Jax - WELCOME!! Just jump on in - we're happy you're here! :D

Katie - I stretched the programme out a LOT - I did five days of week two, three and four - not in a row! :lol3: - but stretched each stage over about ten days. I'm not in a rush! Mostly, I run Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and do strength training on the other days - but some weeks I start again on Sunday and do Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, then back to Monday.

Have a great day, all! :wave:

onthetee
07-09-2007, 11:51 PM
Hey, chicks, how did everyone do today? Did you get all sweaty and tired? Did you make your fat cells scream for mercy? I don't see any posts since this morning.....

I went to the gym. I did a 20-minute warm up on the elliptical. Then I intended to run 20, but I got freaked out and thankfully had to pee. I ran 10 minutes, walked two minutes including to and from the bathroom, and finished with 10.

Hope to conquer the 20 minute mark tomorrow. DAUNTING!!!!!!! I am not too proud to admit that I am scared and have fear of failure issues.

cakses
07-10-2007, 01:15 AM
Day 1 of Week 2 Completed! My muscles are fine but my legs and knees are so sore I could barely walk in between the running parts. I guess that is tendons and bone pain? I have absolutely no muscle pain and it hurts less when I am running (although I am stiff as heck). It's been like this for a few days and I am hoping by the weekend it's gone because it hurts!

I ran on the treadmill today and I didn't find it any easier per se than outside but I could keep the pace I wanted and know exactly how many miles I went and how many calories burned (300!!!). Tomorrow is anotehr gym day since I have the car, and will be used for weights and the elliptical for 30 mins just to get some exercise in. I am hoping I don't wake up as stiff as the dead!

jaxjob
07-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Hello,

I started "pre running" this morning. I did my run-walk segments, but not the full 1/2 hour since DH had to go to work and I didn't start early enough. I think I will do week one this week and start it again next Sunday for a full week. It was my first time running with the dog (we didn't have one when I ran before) and it went fairly well. Of course he had to stop for business right when I was due to start a running segment, but I adjusted :^:.

Yesterday I did my "Get Ripped to the core" DVD for the first time and I can feel it in my chest especially this morning. I plan on doing that or some other form of weights MWF and then the running program SuTuTh. Saturday off. Once I get used to that I'll change the weight part.

So overall a good but slow start. Thanks for the link to the CT5K program, I'll check it out and see how it compares to the one I was doing from before.

Snuggles to all,
Jax

onthetee
07-11-2007, 03:24 PM
I cannot get past the 20 minute barrier at the end of week five. I have decided that rather than be all crabby about it, I will just accept that week 5 is going to be longer than a 7-day week. It is not like I am training for a marathon with a specific date in mind.

I may enlist the help of a running buddy. If I can get her to run with me for two miles, then I will have the barrier broken. However, we leave for vaca on Friday morning and are gone for 16 days, so I may just have to work it out on hotel treadmills.

KEEP RUNNING, LOVELY LADIES!

cakses
07-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Yesterday was a non-running day but I did a fast 30 minute walk on the treadmill and I wasn't sore like the previous days. I am due to run this afternoon and am sort of dreading it since I was so sore last time. Hopefully it won't be too bad. It's hotter than you know what out here, 95 today and I am in Washington state where it's not supposed to get this hot! And oh did I mention *no A/C*!!!!!!!! Not even in the gym I go to. UGH!!!! I hope this month goes by fast if it's going to be nasty hot like this! Once hubby leaves for the sandbox, I will be going in at 8am to run since it's still not too bad then.

jaxjob
07-11-2007, 07:44 PM
onthetee - don't feel bad if you don't do the 20 mins straight. Most runners I know take walk breaks. I know you want to do it - even if "just to have done it" but it will come when it's ready. Don't let it stop you increasing your total time/distance in the mean time. You can always keep doing 10-1-10-1 then add on the end. I know that's not exactly what the Ct5K program says but it will still work. Personally I prefer to stick to 8-1 run/walk and just continue to slowly add distance/speed.

Good job on getting to this point, and good luck on vacation. I'm off camping in about 10 days, that's why I re-started the walk/run. I can do it at the campground, unlike the DVDs I've been doing recently.

I'm going to try to be up early enough to get in a full 30 mins of walk/run intervals tomorrow before DH goes to work. It's too hot here right now (34C according to my thermometer outside) by the time he gets home, besides, I like to exercise earlier, rather than in the evening. Evening exercise leaves me with difficulty sleeping. During the day I have the wee ones to watch. I'm taking my treadmill in to get checked over tomorrow, hopefully we'll find out why it's stuck on 15% incline and how to fix it. At this point I don't really care if it's stuck on a particular incline, but not 15%! That's too much for everyday use.

Jax

michelle127
07-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Hi everyone!

I just finished W2D1. Whew! I may just be too fat to run this thing. I'll keep on keeping on, but I don't know if I'll be able to progress like I'm supposed to. I run/walk on the treadmill since it's a billion percent humidity in Florida. I've found that I like the stride at 4.5, my legs cramp less, but I have trouble breathing at that rate. I work at circuit training four days a week in addition to C25K, so hopefully I'll breathe easier (or my legs strengthen) soon!

Is it tougher to begin this program or is it tougher to add minutes? Know what I mean? I think Week 1 was a 5, Week 2 is an 8 so far..... How is it going for all of you?

Michelle

cakses
07-12-2007, 05:02 AM
today was day 3 of week 2 and i was a little bit more strained near the end of the 25 minutes but i did alright still. ran on 5.4 and walked at 3.4 on the treadmill, not sure if those are good or not but it's all i can do so far. 5.4 was pushing it though. i hope in 7 1/2 more weeks i can run a bit faster than a 11 minute mile. or heck, i hope i can run a mile straight whether it takes me 11 minutes or not!

tomorrow is weights and 30 mins of walking. i am at the gym and plan on staying there. child care ensures i get my workout uninterrupted. the running is taking my mind off my husband leaving in a less than a week and sort of channeling some of my stress as well.

i am hoping to get back into my diet next week after hubby leaves so i can drop some more pounds quicker. the less of this junk i have to carry while running the better!

jaxjob
07-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Well I didn't get to my 30 mins - I need to plan a new route, since the one I use walking with the dog is too short for run/walk combinations. I did 5 run intervals though - one more than Tuesday. Sunday will be the start of a new week and since DH isn't at work I KNOW that I can fit in the whole workout, and plan a route for next week. :carrot: When I got up, I was a little sore from lifting yesterday but the run has dealt with that. Yippee.

cakses - don't get hung up on the treadmill speeds, that's why I like running outside, I have no idea how fast I am going. I have a watch that beeps the intervals for me so I don't even have to look at it. When I run on the treadmill I like to keep a towel over the display otherwise I obsess over it and don't have time to enjoy the running. If you're working up to the 5K then do that before you worry about increasing speed. 10% speed OR distance increase in a week is plenty. Not both.

Michelle - if you want to run slower but like a certain stride rate, take shorter strides. I find I take 85 strides (approx) per minute no matter how fast I run, unless I'm going all out. How tough the different stages of the program are depends on you. I found when doing this type of thing last year that I got "stuck" at 6 mins - that was my tough point. If you need to, take more than a week at a certain level. Slower (in terms of progress) is better, as long as you're motivated to keep improving.

Keep it up ladies...
Jax

onthetee
07-12-2007, 09:42 AM
I am in a pickle. Today should be my off day, but I cannot get to a gym tomorrow as we are traveling all day. Wait until Saturday? My knee is a bit sore, so I think I will postpone the running until Saturday.

However, this morning, I will do 40 minutes elliptical, then weights. And tonight, my friends and I are all going to a climbing wall! (Another reason I don't want to stress my knee right now.)

Vacation will be interesting the first week. We are staying at a lodge with no gym. All outdoor running for me, which is hard for the treadmill addict. Plus, I live in Indiana--flat flat flat. Next week, we will be in the Adirondacks!

Also, I signed up for the Indy 500 Mini Marathon in May. I don't plan to run it, and I walked it many years ago. I plan to run 2/3 of it.

cakses
07-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Ok today is my last run (I have yet to do it, waiting for hubby to come home) and I am freaking out looking ahead in the training schedule. I have made it so far and I am sure I will most likely do fine next week as well but beyond 3 minutes of jogging and I think I might die! I am worried I won't be able to hack it beyond this week. I guess if it's that big of a thing, I can repeat week 3 twice until I am in better shape.

I must say though, I went to a really old water park yesterday that was build on the side of a huge hill and I carried my 40+ pound three year old almost all day (the ground was black asphalt, real smart!) and other than sore feet from no shoes, I did awesome. Three weeks ago I probably would have had a heart attack on those hills haha. So it's making me fitter albeit slowly.

For those of you in the later weeks of the program, how hard is it from week to week? Was there a particular week where it was a huge drastic change? I am praying my body just does what it's told to do and I can live with being sore or tired!

HeatherAngel
07-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Hi cakses :wave:

Honestly? I remember being TERRIFIED of running three minutes, and it WAS hard... then even the THOUGHT of five minutes had me shaking... read back on my posts if you don't believe me! :lol:

But then, all of a sudden, week five came. I expected it to kill me - I'd extended weeks 2, 3 and 4... and it was hard, but GOOD. NOT impossible!!! Today I did day 1 of week 6, and I am feeling really STRONG. This isn't killing me after all! :lol3:

Extend if you need to, and then all of a sudden, your body will be THANKING you for the hard work - I swear, if this can be true for me, it can be true for ANYONE! :D

Heather :)

cakses
07-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Well I am hoping my legs just keep moving. I think I can handle 3 minutes at a time especially since it's 90sec/90sec/3min/3min - that I can do. I just think week 4 looks impossible haha. We'll see I guess. I hope it works out and my legs don't turn to jello!

jaxjob
07-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Well I'm not sure how it fits into Ct5K but I did 20 mins this morning alternating 1 min run with 1 min walk. It felt great!!! So this is going well. I do things my way because I have a watch which will beep at intervals for me, and I can't program in more than 4, so it's easiest to just up the running minutes and keep the walkng at 1. I did run a bit longer in one interval so I could make it to the railway crossing before the train, but otherwise I kept pretty much to the 1:1. Yay.:running:

I hope it's going well for everyone. It's going to be another hot one today.

Jax

cakses
07-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Today was Day 1 of week 3 and OUCH!!! I took 2 days off this weekend and apparently that was too many. I am sore again. I almost didn't make the first 3 minutes because I was so sore but I barrelled through it and made the entire set. Phew!

This is going to be a hard week emotionally for me with my husband leaving for Iraq, so I am hoping to channel whatever emotions come at me to the treadmill and leave them there so my kids get a less depressed Mommy.

cakses
07-18-2007, 08:23 PM
day 3 (second run) of week 3. another ouchie! hoping i make it through this week and don't have to repeat it. the 3 minute runs are really hard on me. i can do the 90 second ones no problem but i am struggling to make it to 3 minutes. i am worried about next week.

HeatherAngel
07-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Cakses - there is absolutely nothing wrong with repeating a week, or even a day or two of that week before moving on. I was told on here when I started that C25K moves along faster than some other running programmes.

I repeated weeks two and three and now I am at the end of week six - it does get easier, but let your body adjust - I'd HIGHLY recommend repeating - at leats until it doesn't HURT.

Good luck! You're doing SO great!!

Heather

HeatherAngel
07-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Bah - well, there you go. Rotten run this morning :( It should have been day 1 of Week 7, but I only managed 15 minutes running instead of 25. I have been very tired this week, so I'm sure the weekend will be better! But there it is - some days it is easier to run than others! :D Although my breathing wasn't laboured, my shins hurt a bit now, and that's unusual for me. Need to rest my rebelling bod, methinks!

jaxjob
07-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Heather - I wimped out on my run this morning too - was back MUCH earlier than usual - even DH commented on it. I just wasn't into it. Of course the HOT :hot: weather could have something to do with it, I'm sweating just typing this. Is it hot in ON too?

We'll be at it again soon,
Jax

Leeza155
07-19-2007, 06:08 PM
I've been trying to get my pregnancy weight off, and though I've never liked jogging before, I thought I'd give Ct5K a whirl since jogging is such an efficient way to burn calories. I've enjoyed reading your posts, and am glad I'm not the only one who's nervous when I look ahead at the schedule :)

I do most of my workouts around the yard when I can get both my 2yo and 4month old sons to nap. I started Wk2Day1 yesterday, and though the 90 second segments were a little tough, I was thrilled that I did it. I added another half hour of walking and interspersed a few very short jogs at the end, to keep my heart rate up and burn some more calories while I could grab the time.

I try to get stroller walks in on my "off" days, but the boys don't always cooperate... and I've bought Jari Love's 3 pack of DVDs and am trying to gird myself for doing "Get Ripped" 3 days a week. I'm most interested in doing the weight work right after a c25k workout, when my endorphins are pumping, but I know I need to do it on alternate days, to avoid overdoing it.

jaxjob
07-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Leeza, I've been doing Jari Love's workouts for a few weeks now. I LOVE them. I have two - the original Get Ripped! and Ripped to the Core. They are both quite different and I usually alternate them but occasionally do the same one twice in a row. I upped my weights for many exercises yesterday and can still feel it this afternoon. :wl:

I find the original DVD is mostly resistance, but some of the exercises in RTTC are pretty good cardio too, albeit for shorter time than running. So I do the Ripped on MWF and the running TThSa (except this morning when I wimped out in the heat! :o) I do really like doing the workouts - no complex moves and easy to follow, with plenty of increase workload adaptations for later on.

Welcome to the group and have fun exercising, :running:
Jax

cakses
07-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Today is an no run day and I am just dying with a sinus cold and I can' get motivated to drive to the gym. Ugh. Maybe I will just do my walking video later on and some strength exercises or something. I have no problem driving to the gym on my run days but the other days I can't seem to get it together.

Leeza155
07-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Heather - it may have been a rotten morning from your perspective, but I'm full of awe at 15 minutes running!

Cakses - sorry to hear about your sinus infection - total bummer for working out.

Jax - thanks for the welcome, and the encouragement on JL's dvds. I did a long walk yesterday and was too pooped, but I'm vowing to start doing them at least twice a week starting next week.

Did Wk2Day2 today, plus some extra walking at the end. Boy, 90 seconds feels like a long time. I'm worried I won't progress to next week very well, but like that I learned from your experiences to keep with it, and to repeat a week if necessary.

cakses
07-20-2007, 10:04 PM
I finished the 3rd run today, but it was indoors in my home and not conducive to running so I am sure it wasn't the normal pace I go at if I am outside or on a treadmill. I made it through the 3 minutes fine though - must be the slowing down makes it somewhat easier or I had to pay attention to my kids and not the stopwatch. At any rate, come Monday I am moving on to week 4 and hoping for the best! I can't believe at this time next week I will have been doing this a month!

LeedaRenee
07-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi ladies, I am on day 2 of week 1 and I can't imagine at all doing 90 seconds since I'm about to give out on the 60 seconds. I hope it will get better for next week! I've been waiting to start this for awhile, but I had to get either a treadmill or a jogging stroller first and since we can't afford a good treadmill, the jogging stroller was our only choice. I have it now and can't wait to become a full-fledged runner!

cakses
07-23-2007, 05:51 PM
good for you renee! welcome to the group! it is hard for those first 2 weeks then it seems to get easier.

well i did day 1 of week 4 today and i made it! phew! i sweat a heck of a lot more than i have on any other day and i was definately breathing harder - those 5 minute sections were lon but do-able. it just amazes me each week that i can finish the workouts, so i am greatful my body's still on track with my mind!

i have been slacking on my off days though, so i am going to up my gym time to 5 days a week and do weights on tues/thurs to get some more muscle. i also have to quit eating junk or else i am never going to lose the weight.

lola06
07-24-2007, 09:02 PM
I have a question about this program. I've been working out pretty intensely for the past 3 months or so doing TurboJam and weight training, but now I'm interested in changing it up with running. Is this still the program I should start with? I'm just worried about duration and intensity of my workouts. I've worked up to an hour a day, so I want to stay at that level.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Leeza155
07-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Lola- I'd say you can do this program and still get the benefits and intensity you're used to. You'll just need to add additional walking after the prescribed 20 minutes (in the beginning,) of alternating walking and jogging. Your heart rate will be much more elevated than if you were just walking, and if you feel like it's getting to easy you'll just need to throw in a short jog to jump your heart rate up again or walk faster.

Alas, I think I'm derailing from the program. My knees are shot, and were hurting throughout an easy-paced walk today despite giving them two days off. I think it's the relaxin in my system post-birth of my second son. I'll stick with walking for a little while and give it another go. I'm rooting you all on!

Leeza

HeatherAngel
07-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Morning all - last day of Week 7 yesterday... so on to week 8 tomorrow! :D

How's everyone doing?

LeedaRenee
07-25-2007, 03:47 PM
I did day 3 of week 1 and it was definitly easier this time. I did have to stop about 20 seconds early in the last interval of running because the path I was on started slanting to the right and made it really hard for me to push the stroller. I want to do one more day of week one's workout on Friday and then start week 2 on Monday.

Lola, I've been working out at home and lifting weights, similar to you and I found this challenging but doable. I don't think I would've been able to do it though if I had not been working out prior.

onthetee
07-25-2007, 06:21 PM
I am home early. Two weeks was too much for our wee ones, so we came back early. I did 1.4 miles in the hills of the Adirondacks with another guest at the lodge. It was so great to have the encouragement! I walked about one minute in the middle, which is close to where I was when I left. I am back to the treadmill tomorrow morning. Shooting (again, darn it) for 20 minutes in a row.

Other good news is that in 10 days, I did not gain more than .5 pounds. I was sweating getting on the scale this morning, even though I had been vigilant while we were away. It was hard to have to estimate calories so much. Hopefully after a few days of detox and whole grains, I will be back to my starting point.

Keep on moving those feet!

onthetee
07-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Morning all - last day of Week 7 yesterday... so on to week 8 tomorrow! :D

How's everyone doing?

You are a rock star!!

cakses
07-25-2007, 07:38 PM
today was my 2nd run of week 4 and it went pretty well. i am definately struggling a bit on the 5 minute sections but it seemed a teensy bit easier today than it did on monday. i am nervous that the days are going by so fast because next week looks impossible but i know i will be able to do it.

heather, are you dieting as well as running? what plan are you on? i see your results and we're the same height so i am wondering what works for you?

HeatherAngel
07-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Hey all - managed Day one of week 8 tonight, and feeling GREAT! 2.75 miles in 32 minutes. I still can't believe I'm close to 3 miles - I can remember so well gasping and swearing at 60 seconds - I swear it is true!!

This is one of the best things I have ever done :) Another was joining this site!!

Have a great evening, all!

PS - Cakses - I count calories - that's how I started; then I started walking, then I found out (on here) about the C25K... I eat about 1500-1600 calories a day right now - I started at 2300 and came down from there!

cakses
07-27-2007, 12:07 PM
thanks girl. i need to do something more thought out with eating and when i exercise i get my old athlete's appetite back, so the weight loss has stalled since i started this even though the inches are coming off my legs. i want them to come off other choice areas too though!

today is my last run of week 4. i am sort of excited to get to the gym!

LeedaRenee
07-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Heather, you give me hope for the future, since I am about to leave week 1 and still get pretty winded. I have a question I've been wonderin about. During the walking interval, do I need to keep a certain pace? Sometimes, especially towards the end, I find myself slowing down considerable when walking. Does this matter?

HeatherAngel
07-27-2007, 07:51 PM
LeedaRenee - I'd say no - don't even worry about speed - either walking OR running!! I was so slow when I started, I loped, I swear! Honestly, I promise you - I gasped and swore through the first four weeks of this - now I'm still amazed how great it feels to run - and then stretch! :joker: I never DREAMED I'd be 'a runner'!!

Cakses - I have to admit that I added strength training as well, about six weeks ago or so, and it has made SUCH a difference to my shape - I'm hoping not to have TOO much hanging skin when I get wherever I am going! As for counting calories, it was a good start, but then I knew I had to add exercise... I don't think it makes one bit of difference which you add in which order! :lol:

Not running tomorrow - but Sunday is a day for sure! I started watching 'Sixteen Candles' yesterday as I ran on the treadmill, so I'm looking forward to laughing through the rest on my next run!

cakses
07-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Well I have had two kids plus weight gain so I am sure there will be hanging skin of some sort. I still have youth on my side though, so I am praying that takes effect over floppy tummy skin later on :)

Today was the last run of week 4 and it was a tough one. I missed the gym yesterday and it showed. So know I know - I can't give myself days off. They can be off of running but I have to at least do my 30 minutes of walking or something cardio and stretch or else the run days are killer. Lesson learned!

HeatherAngel
07-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Congrats to Tricia, who has finished the programme! :cheer2:

I'm, on Day 2 of week 8... better get to it!

Have a great day all!

cakses
07-29-2007, 06:40 PM
go heather and congrats tricia! i can't wait to be a graduate too!

HeatherAngel
07-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Confession - I ran three miles yesterday, and I'm not going to bother backing up on the programme. So, technically, I've defaulted the last two runs of week 8, and have two runs to complete week 9. I just felt ready, and I was.

I know I wasn't supposed to 'jump ahead' (and I feel like a big cheater!), and I suppose I may find the next run harder, in which case I will back up to 2.75 miles again, but I think I'm there. :) It's been a great programme, and after this week, I'll just keep trying to add a quarter mile every week or so!

I love running!

LeedaRenee
07-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Wow that is awesome, congrats!!

onthetee
07-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Heather, that is so freakin' awesome! I am so proud of you. :hug:

That said, I also am big enough to admit that I am so jealous I could put my head down on this keyboard and weep with self-pity. :(

cakses
07-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Okay made it through the first run of week 5. Not a big problem and I didn't think it was going to be. I feel stronger this week and I am slowly starting to lose inches and ounces haha. My back is still hurting me a bit and my hip on my right side but that feels muscular or maybe a nerve or something. Nothing that stops me from going though.

Wednesday is 8 run/5 walk/8 run and then the big 20 minutes - OMG I am not sure if I am ready for that!!! I have a plan of setting the treadmill for 25 minutes then putting a towel over it and not staring at the time going by. Also I am going to get to the gym at 9 so I can watch Charmed on their tv haha. I listen to my music and read the subtitles and it makes the time go by faster than just music and staring at people.

I am super nervous for Friday's run. I know I can make it through Wednesday but to jump from 8 minutes to 20 is crazy. I am just going to try as hard as I can though and be super excited if I can do it!

onthetee
07-31-2007, 08:33 AM
Hey, Cakses, I have been staring down that number too. Wanna make a pact? We both do it by Saturday. If I don't post by then that I have done it, feel free to call me out publicly.

royalsfan1
07-31-2007, 08:43 AM
Hey cakes and tee. You can both do it! Seriously. For some reason, once that day rolls around the 20 minutes just happens. No, it isn't easy but it isn't as hard as you think it's going to be. I promise.

HeatherAngel
07-31-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm with Tricia - I am absolutely living proof that it CAN be done... I cans till remember thinking, well, I know I can do 8 minutes, because I've done it... so I will try for 10, and then if I have to walk 2 minutes and do another 10, I'll still have done 20 minutes... but then when 10 minutes came, I just kept going... and it WAS hard, and the last minute or so was SO hard, but NOT deathly!! AND - the feeling of, OMG, I am so almost there - followed by OMG - I DID IT!!!! is worth more than money can be counted!

You go girls!! You CAN do it!

:hug: Heather :hug:

cakses
07-31-2007, 12:43 PM
thanks ladies for the support. i know it can be done, it's not impossible. i just wish the program went from 8 to 10 to like maybe 14 then 20 not the big dive like this! but each week i surprise myself so we'll see.

i FINALLY lost some weight! 2 pounds to be exact! what a great feeling to finally see the scale go down. i know part of it has to do with the fact that my not so healthy choice of a bagel actually ignited and set my toaster on fire last night at dinnertime haha, but when i was starving later on, i had a 100 calorie popcorn bag and water and no sweets or junk. today is grocery shopping day finally, so i can get some healthier snacks in the house as well as veggies - boy have i missed those! even losing 10 pounds at this point would make the running easier, so i am looking forward to the scale going down some more!

today's a walking and weights day, so i guess i am off to get ready for the gym! have a great one ladies!

MariaMaria
07-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Go to the bookstore and get Bob Glover's book for beginners running, or his book on not-beginners running. Glover is a coach for the New York Road Runners Club-- not some nameless whoever who writes for a website. He's been coaching for a very long time. He's the real deal.

From where you're at now Glover's program takes you from 5 to 6 to 8 to 10 to 12 to 15 to 20, week by week.

It's supposed to be easy. If it's that difficult, it's too soon.

cakses
07-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Well I haven't tried yet so I don't know if I can do it or not. I figure if I can't for some reason I will just repeat the 2 runs from this week and try again.

I went to the gym today and did a hills set of walking at 3.5 which was a pretty quick stride. I am hoping that plus weights will give me an advantage over these long runs that are coming up. Thursday is always the day I seem to skip going to the gym, so I am forcing myself to go every day this week so Friday's run isn't awful. I am looking forward to tomorrow's run - I know I can make 8 minutes no problem!