Old 07-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default Body for Life thread/questions?

Hello,

I hate to monopolize the board w/ my questions, but I'm not sure if there's an ongoing bfl thread out there.

My questions to anyone who is doing or has done the plan:

Did you use any protein powders or supplements? What kind? Do you think it makes a difference?

Are/were you strict about the plan?

Did you use meal replacement shakes or bars, or just have something like a yogurt and nuts ( I think nuts are protein)....

For things that aren't already portioned out like eggs,bananas,ect, do you go by the serving size? I'm thinking about turkey bacon because it's small and flat...

This is the first plan i've been excited about in a really long time, I just want to get my ducks in a row before jumping in to it... right now I have a bowflex but no free weights. I intend to do the best I can w/ the exercises I have w/ the bowflex until I can afford some free weights.. I figure that I'm moving more, eating five small meals rather than 3 big ones...so I'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks everyone for your help!! I am so happy to be part of forums where the people really care about and support one another. I'm on another optical forum and people just come out of the woood work to help... soon I will know enough to be able to give back.

Thanks again!

OG
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Are there any BFLers who don't use shakes or bars ?
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/215/175

Height: 5'6"

I did BFL years ago and lost 50 pounds. I was very strict during the week but took my free days faithfully! I did Myoplex for one meal/day until I could no longer stand it, then found a couple of others. I also did protein bars, as long as they had at least 20 grams of protein.

The hardest thing about this plan was all the planning! I had to pack all my meals and snacks for work and it got to be a real pain.
twnkltoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

When I did BFL, I had 2 myoplex lites each day. Now they have the BFL drinks, and I think they are basically the same thing, different label. I used them because it made planning the meals much easier. I also ate a lot of repetitive meals. Cheesesticks and fruit, especially! I did a run of BFL for women later on, and it was easier for me.

There may be a current BFL thread in the Ladies Who Lift forum.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #5  
Empress/Queen

I have done BFL and BFL for Women several times although I really never could stick it for the full 12 weeks on either program, especially BFL, which simply was too limited in allowable foods for me.

That said, both are great plans. I was entered in the official BFL contest the first time around (but only made it through 10 weeks) and I bought supplements then because it was my intention to turn in the documentation as required by the contest. I also got "deals" on the BFL stuff by being entered in the contest. I loved (and still do) the Myoplex Lite bars and still use their cheaper EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control line of shakes as opposed to the Myoplex, which is supposed to be better quality but really isn't, IMO. When doing BFL, I used the Myoplex bars for snacks, not meals.

I do think it makes a difference in any bodybuilding plan if you supplement with extra good quality protein, however you do it. Just look around for good quality shakes and bars without a lot of sweeteners (no sugar). But you can also just have good meals following the pattern of BFL, clean sources of low fat protein, fruit and veggies for carbs, a little of the best kinds of fat.

A great book to learn about clean eating beyond the BFL books is Tosco Reno's "Clean Eating" ... if you can find it. A lot of good ideas there, also helps in the department of packing food, as she has a bunch of "cooler plans." A fun book.

You can absolutely do great on a Bowflex. No matter what anyone tells you, you really never have to graduate to free weights (although they are great). A Bowflex can give you everything you need to sculpt a great body (in my opinion).

Good luck, go for it. You'll do great!
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote