Exercise! - Cool Runners - July

View Full Version : Cool Runners - July

YP1
07-01-2007, 06:12 AM
Hello everyone, how are you all?

I had a really nice run this morning. I ended up doing nearly 14.5 miles. It ended up being pretty slow because the ground was still quite muddy in places from all the rain we've had, and I decided to do a lot of the run off road. I got to the end and I definitely felt that I could have carried on a bit further, which is the first time I've really felt that on a long run since Edinburgh, so things seem to be coming back together again.

HeatherAngel
07-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Morning!

Today is not a running day, but I did do my first day of week four of C25K yesterday morning - I was surprised I was able to do it - I think it's the new shoes!! :yes: :D

Back at it tomorrow - it still ain't pretty, but I don't care! :lol:

Heather :D

Ilene
07-01-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm off to run for an hour in a few minutes ... Later gators :wave:

LisaMarie71
07-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Helen -- when you do those 14 or more mile runs, what do you do for water? Do you carry it with you or just wait until you get back? I'm thinking about this now that my long runs are getting longer. On my 10-mile run the other day, my husband happened to drive out to where I was in my 8th mile and give me a few sips of water (I know, cute, right?), but that won't always happen!

Today I didn't want to run because it's hot, but it's not nearly as hot as it has been lately. I didn't get up early enough to beat the heat, so I just sweated it out in the hot sun for 4 miles. It was great, though -- a beautiful day -- and I did it in 42:36, even with those long hills I always have to deal with. That's a pretty good time for me. Just as I was getting started, a neighbor stopped the car and asked me if I live around here -- she didn't recognize me! I hadn't seen her in a while, so she didn't expect to see me 100 pounds lighter and wearing running clothes! That gave me the motivation to go a bit faster, I think!

Sheila53
07-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Lisa, that's really cool about your neighbor not knowing who you were. I love it when stuff like that happens. And how sweet of your DH to bring you water.

Today I had to stop running at about 2.5 miles because I had to go to the bathroom. (Does that sound familiar to someone here who also lives in Oregon? :D ) Luckily, we were running on a bike path that goes through town and there was a bathroom that we walked to. I couldn't believe that happened because I'd already gone at home--I'm very regular so it was unexpected (sorry, TMI, I know!) and unwelcome. Doing a race on Wednesday and now I'm all worried about the bathroom issue, but I did eat a bit more heavily last night than I usually do so that could account for the extra, um, buildup.

YP1
07-02-2007, 03:46 AM
Lisa - it depends on the weather. Yesterday I didn't carry anything with me, although I had money so I could stop at a shop if I needed something. If it's warmer/sunnier I do sometimes carry water, but never much more than a 500ml bottle and some money to buy more if I need it. I have a camelbak, but I don't really like wearing it so prefer to carry something in a bottle in my hand. I almost always just have water rather than sports drinks, for long runs I use energy tablets plus water (although I'm wondering whether something with a bit more salt might be a better idea if I'm sweating a lot).

LisaMarie71
07-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks, Helen. I've been considering carrying a bottle of water in my hand on long runs. I live in the boonies so there's nowhere to stop to buy anything! What kind of energy tablets are you talking about? My husband used those Gu thingies in his half marathon last year, but they seem kind of disgusting to me. I'm grossed out by certain textures, and I'm afraid it might make me throw up during a run! :lol:

Today I ran 3 miles, and I came home, pulled off my shoe, and found a rather bloody sock. My toenail was sort of digging into the side of my middle toe and made a little hole in it. Pretty gross. I felt it on the run, but it just felt like it was scraping a little, so I didn't think it was a big deal. I'm surprised I could lose that much blood from a little toe!! I try to keep my toenails clipped but they grow really fast!

Ilene
07-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Lisa Marie -- I've been told that if you carry a water bottle in one hand it makes you lopsided and not good for your running alignment... My g/f has one of these fuel belts...
http://www.shop.runningroom.com/thumb.php?img=endurance4BottleBelt.jpg&w=300&border=1

I have a different one, I can't find the picture of it though, but I did get it at the Running Room... It's a belt with an insulated holder at the back that you can just slip in one of your own bottles... It also has a small pouch beside the holder, room enough for keys, cellphone and a bit of change...

Yesterday I ran a little over 6k...

LisaMarie71
07-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Thank you, Ilene! That actually looks like just what I need. I carry my cell phone in my hand and it gets a bit sweaty when it's hot. I'm always thinking I'm going to drop it.

ennay
07-02-2007, 11:15 AM
I hate carrying water in my hand. I like the fuel belt because of the variety, but I already have my camelbak.

I use gu...quite regularly. Not like I did a couple years ago though, so I am feeling less need, but I run better if I get it in every 45 min-hour on long runs. I used 1 on my 10 miler, and 2 on 14 and 16 milers and during my 1/2. probably will use 3 for 18 and 20 and start carrying pretzels or something salty.

The texture is kind of nasty, I think the lemon and raspberry are thinner and clean off your palate easier, the vanilla and chocolate are a better flavor, but are kind of sticky. I cant do chocolate DURING a run as it gives me heartburn, but like it before races.

7 this morning...kind of sluggish

yeeehah...the forecast for my 1/2 has dropped from 91 to 88 - bright sun, no cloud cover and no shade on the course. But hey, only 90% humidity.

HeatherAngel
07-02-2007, 12:19 PM
HI all! :wave:

I always feel a little like I shouldn't be here when I read about how far or long you can all run, but then I just tell myself - well, they must have started somewhere, too! :lol: And who knows? In a year's time, maybe some newbie will think *I* run far/long!! :D

I did day 2 of week 4 today (C25K) - ToM arrived yesterday with a vengeance, so I am really proud of myself for just getting out and 'doing it' - just call me NIKE! :lol3:

The weather's been nicer here - sunny, but cooler than it has been, so it's great for running - or 'loping', which is what I do!! ;)

Lisa - I LOVE the story about your neighbour - how inspiring and fabulous!!

Chat to ya'll soon -

shananigans
07-02-2007, 01:18 PM
I did 3 yesterday, though I had to take quite a few walking/water breaks for my dog. My off-brand “kamelbak” was a great purchase by the way. It carries 2 L of water plus plenty of room for the dog bowl, clean-up bags, keys, phone, etc. It wasn’t all that hot (maybe low to mid 70s) and not too humid but it was rather sunny. He tends to keep up better when I get up at the crack of dawn before the sun is out but I just can’t bear to do that on a Sunday.

Planning on getting back into my groove and adding a little distance by next weekend. I think I can inch up to at least 3.5 miles by then. I have the 4th off so that will be a nice extra day for working out mid-week.

Happy running all!

YP1
07-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Don't worry about distances, I remember when I was building up to 5k and couldn't imagine even being able to run that far.

today I did 11 miles. 3 up to running club and then 8 on my club run. I completely ran out of energy a couple of miles from the end, possibly because I did 14.4 yesterday. I made it back, but felt completely drained at the end of it. Tomorrow is definitely a rest day from running.

Sheila53
07-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Was talking with the part-time office person at my physical therapist's office, and it turns out she's training for the Portland (OR) marathon in October. She's never run in any kind of race before, and started an 18-week training program. This weekend, she ran 10 miles. I turned green with envy!

I asked if she was going to run any kind of race before the marathon, and she said probably not. Oh, to be in my early 20s again! Well, I don't really want the emotional angst that went along with being 20-something, but I'm more physically fit now. What I'd really like are some 20-something joints, tendons, ligaments, bones, lungs, etc., etc.

I did tell her about Helen's story, and she was very impressed as well she should be. :)

glitterlicious
07-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Week #3 of c25k starts tomorrow...I'm running on the nice canal trail with my dad.

I'm actually excited about running....wow.

elisa822
07-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Heather - I also feel the same way but I love everyone here and continue to find inspiration when I'm wondering if I have the energy to get out there and run!

I'm still hanging out with my 5k...got it down to just about 31 minutes today so that was pretty exciting. I'm waiting for the day when I break the 30 minute mark.

I did end up running to work last week and hope to do it again this week. I had posted a thread asking for advice on how/what to carry. Here's what I ended up buying, although I purchased it after my first run to work.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444250 6391&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302700103&bmUID=1183423965484

I think the fuel belts are great (and very popular around these parts) but I don't run far enough to really need that. I just needed something to carry the essentials. I found that MEC had a surprisingly better selection than Running Room, but I'm sure not many people have heard of them.

This belt seems perfect for me but I'm wondering about the "sloshing" of the water in the bottle as I run. I'll give it a try and see. Either way, the belt is perfect to hold what I need to get to work.

I'm not sure that the work run (approximatley 7k) is going to be a regular thing but it's a great way to squeeze in an early morning workout.

Good luck to all the newer runners and thanks for all the tips/advice from everyone!

:D

LisaMarie71
07-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I ran 7 miles this morning and had some pain that feels like a shin splint. Eek! My husband has been telling me I should drop from 5 running days a week to 4 while I'm training for the 1/2 marathon, so I don't get injured. I think I'm going to listen to him. I've rearranged my training schedule so I can take days off between runs. Of course, I'll do some form of crosstraining once or twice a week as well.

I'm still looking into the water belt thingies -- I may take a look at the running store today. Thanks for all the tips! Elisa, I wondered about the sloshing water too.

royalsfan1
07-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I ran 1.5 miles this morning on Week 6 Day 1 of C25K. I feel great. I can't believe I've stuck with it this long. However, this morning was the first time I actually considered skipping it. Well, I didn't want to admit that was my intention. What I was really saying to myself was "I'm tired and don't want to get up, yet, so I can just run this afternoon or evening." However, I know myself well enough to know I wouldn't get out in the heat (supposed to be over 100 today) and I've got decorating to do for our 4th of July party tomorrow. So I wouldn't have run at all if I didn't do it this morning. So, at 5:30 I was out there pounding the pavement and now I'm very proud of myself. :)

shananigans
07-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Tricia – Way to get out there and do it! Some days it just feels too damn early.

I considered not getting up to run this morning, but since I wasn’t asleep 5 minutes after my alarm went off I figured I couldn’t be that tired so I got up. Had to cut it a bit short due to a thunder shower, turned and headed home after about a mile when I spotted some lightning. I might have tried to slog it out anyway, but I had my dog with me and the thunder makes the poor guy nervous. So 2 miles, the one home considerably faster just in time to beat the downpour, perfect timing. I got home before 6, it was nice to have the extra time to stretch before getting ready for work. Did a lower body strength workout yesterday that has me bum rather sore. :o Might get out for another short run after work to make up for the shorter run this am.

Ilene
07-03-2007, 04:01 PM
The sloshing of the water is barely felt...

Ran for an hour this morning but it was hot I waited for DD to get up and we didn't get out till 10ish, too hot for me...She roller bladed... Next time I'll just run before she gets up and roller blade too :p

WindyCityChick
07-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi ladies - happy 4th of July to the Americans on the board (and a belated happy Canada day to the Canadians too). Me, I'm celebrating my independence from fat by running 10 miles and avoiding bad food at the barbecue I'm going to attend later today.

YP1
07-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Ennay - I think you asked a while back whether I get days when I just can't run (I think it was you anyway). today was one of them. Running club is about 3 miles from work. When I'm marathon training I quite often run up there and then do the club run, making about 10 miles in total. Today a lot of people from the club were doing a relay (which I decided not to do) so instead of hanging around for the others (mainly from the slow group) I set off with the plan of just carrying on and doing it on my own. I got as far as the leisure centre and just couldn't carry on. On Monday I completely ran out of energy midway round, and even after 3 miles today I felt very similar. I decided not to risk it and just cut it short. Hopefully I'm not coming down with anything, but I didn't see the point in pushing it too hard.

HeatherAngel
07-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Good morning!

Okay, I have learned that I am a wuss - and I don't run in the rain! I didn't get out at all yesterday... but I am sitting here at the computer, in my running clothes, getting ready (mentally) to just go - it's not raining, son there's no excuse (but the ground is wet!) - NO! There is NO excuse! :nono: :lol:

However - I DID do something exciting yesterday - I bought a treadmill! I'm VERY excited about it; then there can really be no excuse whatsoever!! I have ordered a Smooth 9.17 - anyone have one of these?

In fact - do many of you have treadmills??

Have a great day, everyone!

YP1
07-05-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm fed up of not being able to tell people... so I'm doing to do it anyway.

I'm doing the New York Marathon in November!

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

elisa822
07-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Helen - Wow....and :woohoo:!! That is so unbelievably exciting. First of all, I love NY and second...you're running in the New York Marathon. Does it get any better than that? :congrat:

LisaMarie71
07-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Helen, that's amazing!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I'm tempted to drive up there and cheer you on!

hikerchick
07-05-2007, 04:22 PM
woo hoo Helen. So exciting.

Anyone else dying in the heat. Where I am it is 100+ and I did manage 4 miles yesterday in the AM (85-90ish) this morning alls I could do was a brisk walk. Part of it was one too many 4th of July beverages. But 100 degree temps do not help.

Ilene
07-05-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm fed up of not being able to tell people... so I'm doing to do it anyway.

I'm doing the New York Marathon in November!

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:WOWSER!! :woohoo: for you!!!!

Ilene
07-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Anyone else dying in the heat. Where I am it is 100+ and I did manage 4 miles yesterday in the AM (85-90ish) this morning alls I could do was a brisk walk. Part of it was one too many 4th of July beverages. But 100 degree temps do not help.ME!ME!ME! I am the biggest wuss when it comes to heat.... I have this fear/visual of fainting on the trail or in the street...

HeatherAngel
07-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Helen - Yay!! That's AMAZING!!!!!

I'm so happy for you - and proud, oddly, even though I don't really 'know' you - I just think that's inspiring, and wonderful!

Whoot, girl - you go!!!

ennay
07-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Oh Helen!!!!!! I wish I could fly east just for an FE!

Heather - I looooooooove running in the rain. LOVE IT. It sucks to start, but once you are in it is so nice to not get hot. Baseball cap to keep the rain out of the eyes. Heat on the otherhand ick I will take rain over sunshine every day of the week (when I am running)

Had my hot half yesterday, I did pretty well through 12 miles, was well on pace to get a new PR and then just died on the last mile. too freaking hot. And it wasnt even all that hot, just hot for me.

ennay
07-05-2007, 06:49 PM
woo hoo Helen. So exciting.

Anyone else dying in the heat. Where I am it is 100+ and I did manage 4 miles yesterday in the AM (85-90ish) this morning alls I could do was a brisk walk. Part of it was one too many 4th of July beverages. But 100 degree temps do not help.

gah I wouldnt even try at 85. I start whining at around 65

Sheila53
07-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Ennay, we Oregonians are real wimps about heat, aren't we? I did a 5K yesterday morning at 9:00 am, and was miserable. Don't know how hot it was, but like you, anything about 65 is hot to me. I usually do another race in July, but they changed it to a 6:30 pm race, and there's no way I'm running at that time of day in the middle of July.

Helen, AWESOME!! Wish we could all come and cheer you on!

onthetee
07-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Hi, ladies. I am jumping in.

I am losely following C25K. I needed more than a week in the beginning, but now things are going VERY smoothly. It is hard to believe that 6 weeks ago I thought that I full minute of running would kill me. (i track time, not miles). I got up to 12 minutes in a row yesterday. Tomorrow I am going to see if I can do 15. I really think that I can. I am slow as cold maple syrup, but I am really trying to push forward.

Anyway, you are all so inspiring. I have not found a running partner here at home, so I will take all of your expertise and enthusiasm with me in spirit when I run.

I also posted a quick question. If you get a chance to answer it, TIA.

YP1
07-06-2007, 02:01 AM
I'm still excited about it!

In terms of running in the heat, I wouldn't know. It seems to have been raining here for the last two months after a nice April. I did 5.2 miles in the rain and wind this morning, I'm still wearing capris and a long sleeve top because I'm such a wimp in the cooler weather. My shorts are very underused at the moment.

LisaMarie71
07-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Welcome, onthetee! I tracked time instead of miles at first too, but you'll probably find that you're more interested in mileage when you've reached the point where you can run for more than 30 minutes at a time, or when you follow a program to train for a race. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

I ran 10 miles today, and I did it faster than last week, but it was pretty difficult. My husband found us a new route, though, so I didn't have to do the same 3-mile loop over and over as I usually do. Yay for new scenery! It was 5 miles out and 5 miles back. I took a couple of walk breaks to drink some water from my lovely new fuel belt (size small, by the way, though they do run large -- I was just excited to buy a size small ANYthing).

As for running in the heat, I try to get up quite early to avoid it, but it's always humid lately no matter what time it is. So I'm covered in sweat pretty early in the run. I'm ok as long as it's overcast or the sun isn't too high (like today), but sunny days kill me. I pray for clouds in the mornings! This new route has pretty much NO shade, so I was quite thankful for the clouds today.

Sheila53
07-06-2007, 05:58 PM
10 miles--yowsa! That new scenery sure helps, doesn't it? That and some new music, which I desperately need.

Ran 3.5 miles today, which I'm very proud of since it's the longest distance I've run. I noticed that my gym has a 500 mile club, and I think I may join it just as a motivating way of tracking my miles. I don't run much, but it all adds up over time, and it will be nice seeing my name on the list. One woman has run 46,000 miles.

Onthetee, don't worry about being slow. You will get faster. We all start out pretty slowly, and, hey, some of us (me!) stay pretty darn slow. But when you look where you've come from, it's an incredible feat, don't you think? I get a little shiver of excitement when I run across the street to catch up with someone just because, hey, I can actually run now.

hikerchick
07-06-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm still excited about it!

In terms of running in the heat, I wouldn't know.

I lived for 8 years on the North Coast of California. Temps there are 50-60 pretty much year round. The seasons are wet and dry and I miss it like mad. I am a bit jealous of your weather.

onthetee
07-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Heat is one thing. I do fine in low-humidity climates. Here, it is like breathing water right now.

So glad I popped in tonight. I was just going to count my time in the pool today as my exercise, but I think I will go put some miles on my shoes.

royalsfan1
07-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Ran 2 miles this morning. That's a first for me...in a VERY long time!

Ilene
07-06-2007, 11:43 PM
onthetee :welcome: ... I'm another extremely slow one :snail: ...

I need to run tomorrow, I ran only last sunday and have only been roller blading and biking so far this week... It's supposed to be cool tomorrow morning so I'll be going out :D ....

ennay
07-07-2007, 01:34 AM
I also posted a quick question. If you get a chance to answer it, TIA.

I couldnt find your question, what was it?

cakses
07-07-2007, 01:40 AM
Well I think I will officially pop over here now that I am running. Well, it's sort of a goofy slow-ish jog but I think it will be a nice run once I am in better shape. I at the end of week 1 OF CT5K and did alright. I am still in one piece and I am excited to see if I can take more than 60 seconds of jogging. I know I can run faster but being so out of shape I have to slow myself down to be able to do the 25-30 minutes of this program.

In two weeks, I am starting my running at the gym (husband is going to Iraq and I need childcare while I work out). They have a track (it's small, maybe 1/8th of a mile, I will have to ask) and of course treadmills. I am comfortable running w/o the treadmill, so should I choose the track? And on "off" days do you guys do weights or non-running cardio? I am looking to shape up big time, so weights will be involved a few days a week but I wasn't sure what days to lift on (running vs. non-running).

YP1
07-07-2007, 08:21 AM
On non running days I do a mixture of non-running cardio, weights, and rest days. A lot of the time it depends how I'm feeling! I have never actually run on a track. I run on the treadmill for speedwork, and then just random roads/paths/trails etc for outside runs.

I had a nice 15.4 miler this morning. I'm definitely feeling more confident about building up my mileage now. One thing I never realised before I started running is how sociable it is. At the moment I almost always seem to bump into someone from running club when I'm out on a run, which is a nice excuse to stop and chat for a few minutes.

Tomorrow is a rest day, but I think I'm going up to the dales for a day of walking if the weather holds - it's not great, but it was warm enough to run in shorts and a vest this morning so it's a big improvement.

onthetee
07-07-2007, 05:29 PM
It would be unseemly to grab the hot young man at the gym to tell him of my latest accomplishment, so I will share it here instead ;)

I did 20 minutes on the elliptical, ran for 8, walked 4, ran 10.

I might be a runner....

What I love is the sense of pride when I push myself. I see how it becomes an addiction.

LisaMarie71
07-08-2007, 09:21 AM
I did 5 miles today and it was WAY too hot. Ugh. I started at 7:40am, but that clearly wasn't early enough! The sun was a beast! Oh well, I got through it, and surprisingly no scary dogs barked at me today. A creepy old man leered at me from the window of his nasty old truck, though. I've started carrying pepper spray with me. Usually I don't see anyone at all, but I'm not keen on being dragged into the woods by some scary bumpkin.

WindyCityChick
07-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Way too hot here too! I struggled through 8 miles, very sweaty. I almost miss those 20 degree days in January...

NavyWifeDee
07-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I've hurt my foot, and been trying to let it heal, but will attempt a run today, at least an easy mile or so. a whole week of no running sucked. Great job everyone, you've been making me jealous.

Lisa, pepper spray is a good idea... hate to think of a creepy old bumpkin hauling you off kicking and screaming... though the mental image did make me laugh...

Have a great day everyone.

Dee

onthetee
07-08-2007, 12:31 PM
I always take pepper spray when I have the baby with me. I have not had scary bumpkin issue, just poorly-owned dogs.

I can see my negotiations with the bumpkin now, "Look, I just started running, and I am really trying to do 20 consecutive minutes today. Can you just trail behind and abduct me when I meet that goal? Otherwise the whole day is going to be lost. Also, if you abduct me, you need to know that I eat only whole foods at about 1300 calories a day, AND I prefer locally-grown when you can get it. Plus, I am paying a monthly gym membership, so I will need to be there at least three times a week. Is this something you can work with, because if not, I really need to get back on track here."

LisaMarie71
07-08-2007, 12:36 PM
I can see my negotiations with the bumpkin now, "Look, I just started running, and I am really trying to do 20 consecutive minutes today. Can you just trail behind and abduct me when I meet that goal? Otherwise the whole day is going to be lost. Also, if you abduct me, you need to know that I eat only whole foods at about 1300 calories a day, AND I prefer locally-grown when you can get it. Plus, I am paying a monthly gym membership, so I will need to be there at least three times a week. Is this something you can work with, because if not, I really need to get back on track here."

:lol::lol::lol:

I laughed my head off at this! It's funny, because I thought something similar today! I thought...seriously, if you're going to mess with me at least wait until I've finished my 5 miles so I can log it in as completed. :lol:

Honestly, I started carrying the pepper spray because of dogs. I'm quite worried about them, but I refuse to stop running outside because of it. It's nice living in a rural area but it's also kind of annoying when it comes to things like that. Of course, my mother is convinced a bear is going to eat me, and I'm not sure my pepper spray is strong enough for that. It should cover bumpkins and pooches, though.

ennay
07-08-2007, 01:43 PM
I carry pepper spray too.

10.3 slooooowwwwww miles today.

onthetee
07-08-2007, 02:06 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

Of course, my mother is convinced a bear is going to eat me, and I'm not sure my pepper spray is strong enough for that. It should cover bumpkins and pooches, though.

I wish lived somewhere that had bears. Feeling jealous.

LisaMarie71
07-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Oh, onthetee, it's not like I've ever seen one. I live in a subdivision not far from Richmond, VA, after all, not exactly the mountains! There's just lots of woods around and my mom keeps hearing about how they've supposedly released all these bears in VA and we keep hearing about sightings. She's a worrier, so of course she assumes one will eat me!

I miss the mountains, though -- that's where I grew up. Didn't see any bears then either, but lots of people claimed to spot mountain lions and panthers and that sort of thing. The only thing I see a lot of around here is deer, and I've nearly hit a kazillion of them with my car. I really hope that never happens!

HeatherAngel
07-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Morning!

No bears here either, but lots of woods :D I ran by the river this morning - day two of week five of C25K, so quite pleased that I was able to do eight minutes - TWICE! Of course, confession time - I thought to myself: well, I can do three sets of five minutes again, or two sets of eight... and then I only have to run TWICE, instead of three times - ! :lol3: Oh, dear - for all the wrong reasons, but I still did it! At least I make myself laugh! :joker:

Hope everyone else is doing well - chat soon!

onthetee
07-09-2007, 10:58 AM
In addition to making me want to run, you all are making me want to move!

Actually, Indy has some nice trails, but they are not near our house. Another reason that I run at the gym is that it is so close. I only have about an hour a day because of the kids, and I don't want to spend that time driving to a beautiful location.

I saw a neighbor running today by the lake and I thought, "Oh, sure. Her boys are all in high school."

LisaMarie71
07-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Oh, I wish I had trails to run on. I'm sure there are some somewhere around here, but I haven't found them. I have to run on roads -- I just happen to get to look at a lot of trees while I'm doing it. That part's good, but my poor knees are being murdered by the asphalt in the meantime.

This morning I did 3.1 miles in 30:37, which is speedy for me. It was my weekly "speed" run, which I normally do in intervals on a treadmill, but I seriously hate the treadmill. It was freakishly humid this morning, though.

onthetee
07-09-2007, 02:17 PM
That excites me! In a few short weeks, I will be doing 3 miles too!

YP1
07-09-2007, 04:30 PM
I never really ran on trails before this year, and it's so nice! I did 10.5 miles this evening and felt so much better than when I did a similar distance last week. I'm trying to shift my eating patterns round on days when I run in the evening, and it seems to have worked today. Admittedly that means having porridge mid afternoon as it's the only thing I know that's guaranteed not to set my stomach off but give me enough energy to run, but if it works I'll stick with it!

onthetee
07-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Today I did 10 minutes running, two walking, 10 running.

I had hoped to go 20, non-stop, but it was not in the cards tonight. When I am on the treadmill, I like to watch TV. Some guy was on MY treadmill, so there was nothing to watch. Nothing to read and my bladder was fullish. All that made it easy to take a 2 minute break, run to the potty and finish up.

And let's be honest.....the idea of 20 minutes in a row scares me. I was not sad to have to potty.

Tomorrow, I will be at the gym during Ellen. I believe I can do it.

cakses
07-10-2007, 12:22 AM
I did day 1 of week 2 of CT5K today and I am sore sore sore! But I am loving it nonetheless. Did my workout on a treadmill today and was pleased to see an exact amount of miles and calories burned :)

Tomorrow is weights day and elliptical. I sort of wish I could run every day because I feel so satisfied when I finish, like wow I really did that! I know in a few months I will be a totally different person because of this!

LisaMarie71
07-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Yay, onthetee and cakses! You're doing great! :cheer2:

I didn't get to run this morning. :( I had insomnia last night for the first time in a really long time -- I think I got about 2 hours of sleep. There was no way I could do my 8-mile run after 2 hours of sleep, so I put it off until tomorrow. I may go to the gym today and do the elliptical or something if I have the strength.

onthetee
07-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Tomorrow is weights day and elliptical. I sort of wish I could run every day because I feel so satisfied when I finish, like wow I really did that! I know in a few months I will be a totally different person because of this!

Today was my elliptical/weights day, but I ran 5 minutes on the treadmill just because I can!

onthetee
07-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Yay, onthetee and cakses! You're doing great! :cheer2:

I didn't get to run this morning. :( I had insomnia last night for the first time in a really long time -- I think I got about 2 hours of sleep. There was no way I could do my 8-mile run after 2 hours of sleep, so I put it off until tomorrow. I may go to the gym today and do the elliptical or something if I have the strength.

Me too! I was still awake at 4:10 and never had a really sound sleep after that. Very caffeinated today.

royalsfan1
07-10-2007, 02:40 PM
I ran 2.2 miles this morning. Week 7 Day 1! :)

I was up at 2:30 because my cat peed on me (she NEVER has done that before). Apparently she needed us up to tell us that she had diarrhea and had gone ALL OVER the utility room. So I was cleaning cat crap, showering, cleaning a mattress, and washing sheets and pajamas by 3:00 this morning. AGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

LisaMarie71
07-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Eek, Tricia! That's horrible!

I managed to get some sleep last night, so I was able to do my 8 mile run this morning. My sister-in-law met me here at 6:00 this morning to join me for the first 3 miles, then she went home and I did my other 5. It wasn't easy, but it was fairly comfortable. Took me about an hour and 40 minutes, so it was a 12:30 pace, which is about right for a longish run for me. I'm dreading the scheduled 11 on Friday. It's just so humid in the morning here lately. It's 75 degrees at 6am, which I could deal with because that's not horribly hot, but the humidity percentage is like 93%. Ridiculous, the sweat that pours off me. My husband and I always have these sweaty clothes hanging around drying. It's disgusting. :lol:

I liked having a running partner with me this morning, but I also liked the part when I was alone! I think I prefer being alone, but it's nice to have company on occasion. I just feel bad because she's 4'10" or so, so her little legs have to go really fast just to keep up with my stride even though I'm slow!

onthetee
07-11-2007, 09:15 AM
I am trying to picture the two of you running together!

I am off to break my 20-minute mind barrier. I have some weird mental block that only gets me to 16 minutes...

HeatherAngel
07-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Oh My God Oh My God Oh My God!!!!

I RAN twenty minutes!!! I just thought to myself - well, do the eight, and then see how you feel... might as well try ten... oh, we're halfway - well, let's head back and keep going... oh, just round this bend and we're at the hill... and then it had been twenty minutes, and I DIDN'T DIE!!! :joker:

I am so pleased with myself... you might have guessed... :o

Hope everyone else is having a wonderful day, too :D Just had to share! So, no extension of week five, and on to week six! Woweee!!!

Heather ;)

onthetee
07-11-2007, 10:52 AM
It did not happen for me today. I just was not 'there'. I did 10 two 10 again. I may call in a friend who runs to have her get me past this mental thing.

HeatherAngel
07-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Oh, onthetee, I'm so sorry... I wish you were here (or I was there) and we could just jolly each other along!!

It will happen, I'm sure :hug: - I NEVER thought I could even do three minutes (!!!), so if *I* can do it, ANYONE can!

glitterlicious
07-11-2007, 04:52 PM
hey everyone...haven't written in a while here.

I'm still going on the c25k program...4th week. :)

I'm doing my last week 4 workout on friday.

Week#4 is definetly a challenge, but totally doable!

Sheila53
07-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Congratulations, Heather!! That must feel wonderful.

Three sluggish miles today--after yesterday's triple digit heat, it was cooler, but more humid. Afterward I lifted weights at the gym, and hired one of the personal trainers (who is also a running coach) to help me get over whatever is holding me back from running faster and longer.

LisaMarie71
07-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Today was supposed to be an off day, but I felt like doing a quick run on the treadmill at the gym (which is surprising, since it's the first day of my TOM and I have cramps). I did 2.3 miles in 25 minutes and it was pretty comfortable. Nice to run inside and escape the humidity, but I still find the treadmill horribly boring. It's good for short runs only.

11 miles tomorrow -- I'm scared! That's gonna take me FOREVER!!

onthetee
07-12-2007, 10:51 PM
11 miles! you can do it, and yes, it will eat a chunk out of your day, but you are awesome!

LisaMarie71
07-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks for cheering me on, onthetee!! :hug:

I DID do it, and it took 2 hours and 19 minutes! That's better than I thought, though -- average 12:39 mile pace, which isn't too bad for a long run (for me). It's nice because my husband is kind of doing the same training plan for the half, so we head out around the same time. Of course, he finishes MUCH earlier than I do!! His "slow" pace is between a 7 and 8 minute mile. Freak.

It wasn't exactly easy today, but it wasn't that bad. I have cramps from my TOM, but I managed to get through it anyway. Carrying my water belt was kind of annoying because during this TOM, you feel so heavy around your stomach and that area anyway. It doesn't feel good to strap something around there with water bottles on it and then run for 2 hours. But I got lost in the run and there were times when it felt really good. Woohoo! I'm glad it's over, though!

HeatherAngel
07-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Morning! :wave:

Thanks, Sheila! It did feel amazing :)

Congrats, Lisa - I can't imagine running 11 miles - okay, I can IMAGINE it... but that's about it - you are SUCH an inspiration!!

I ran day 1 of week 6 this morning on my new treadmill - I LOVED it! It feels funny to have moved back down to alternating running and walking after running twenty minutes straight last time, but I guess it is all about building up endurance :)

It was really interesting to try to pick a speed on the treadmill after running outside - I had no idea what speed I was running (OR walking!) - I just thought 'slow' :lol3: ... so I walked at 3mph and ran at 5mph. It felt okay - good, even - but I can definitely push for a little more speed to get my heart rate up. Not a LOT more - :lol: - but a little :)

Hope everyone is having a great day!

WindyCityChick
07-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Yay Lisa! Congrats on getting through 11 miles, you are so ready for a half marathon now. And congrats to all you C25Kers - you're doing great! One of the great discoveries for me during that program was how much the length of a run is mental - once you think you can do it, it (almost) becomes easy. Keep those good progress reports coming!

Me, I'm gearing up for trying a 15-miler tomorrow. I was going to try it last weekend, but the weather was so hot and sticky that there was absolutely no way! Thank goodness we have a nice weekend this time around.

ennay
07-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Woohoo Lisa!

I havent posted here in forever. Had a kind of draggy week between the heat and feeling sick and I think my half on the 4th wiped me out a bit. My runs have been sluggish and painful, but yesterday's 7 felt good which is good because I was really starting to worry about my 16 miler tomorrow. The real marathon push is starting. I'm trying not to think beyond tomorrow because thats when it gets scary.

cakses
07-14-2007, 03:37 PM
I finished the last run of week 2 of C25K and it was a bit painful. After two runs on the treadmill I took it outisde again and man I didn't realize my subdivision isn't completely flat - LOL!

I made it to the halfway point about 30 seconds faster than in week 1 but made it to the exact same spot on the secondhalf which means I pretty much died on the way back home. Oh well. I am sure it will get better.

My legs are toning up quickly - I am looking forward to taking pictures at the end of week 4 to see the difference.

LisaMarie71
07-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the cheers, ennay and Rachel! I'm actually starting to think I AM going to be ready for the half. Barring any unforeseen injuries or illnesses, that is. I'm excited about it!

I did a nice, easy 3 miles with my sister-in-law this morning. I was supposed to do 5 but she wasn't able to so I just cut it short and will do my 5 tomorrow.

LisaMarie71
07-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Hey guys, I have a decision to make and it's related to running. I posted it in the 100 lb. club forum and instead of reposting it here, I'm just going to give you a link if you want to check it out and respond there (I don't want to cloud up this thread with it for the people who aren't interested in responding!)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117913

HeatherAngel
07-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Lisa -

Wow. MY biggest worry would be working with my husband -:lol: !
Let me address yours one at a time:

"Here are my fears:
*I'll be too slow to keep up with the kids on our practice runs. Granted, I'll be running with the girls, who are generally slower than the boys, but I'm afraid I'll be too slow for them, which will look bad for a COACH."
Oh, please. Some will be faster, some will be slower - but I suspect you'll be just fine. Besides - who cares?? You WON'T be at the back, struggling for breath and having them all laugh at you - No, you won't... YOU WON'T! You are fit now, and a runner. Say it with me: 'I can DO this!'

"*I won't be taken seriously. Yes, I look different than I used to, and most of the kids know that I run now, but these kids saw me at 275. Will they respect me as a coach?"
I PROMISE you that they will respect you MORE for losing that weight. They'll look at you and think - 'Gawd, she used to be fat - now she's as fit - fitter! - than ME!' Will they respect you? Absolutely. They are teenagers - treat them with respect, they'll respect you in return. Go in as a coach, not as your hubby's wife.

"*I'm new to running. Most coaches did it in high school. Heck, my husband was in the Junior Olympics and has records at his school that still haven't been broken, I believe. Will they listen to anything I say? And DO I know enough, just from reading up on it?"

You didn't 'just read up on it' - you're LIVING it! I know you mean coaching, but your hubby will be able to help you there, outside of school. And who cares about 'other coaches' - how many do these kids know or have? The only person they might compare you to is your husband, right? Will they listen to you? Of course, if you go in confident and positive - teenagers LOVE or HATE their coaches, no in betweens. Be the one they love, by challenging them, and setting clear guidelines of who is in charge (hint - it's YOU!:lol:) You know who'll love you most? That girl who wants to run faster, but can't... yet. And you can give her that little pep talk about how YOU became a runner - one day at time :)

"*As much as I feel like I've gotten over it, I'm still the last-picked fat girl in gym class. Can I really consider being a COACH of a SPORT? It seems insane!"
:lol: It seems insane? So did losing a hundred pounds. And running. But you did it, girl! You are NOT in high school any more :) (thank goodness, right? ;))

Lisa - you CAN do this. You'll hate yourself if you don't. You can always quit if it's awful - but you don't want to be the girl who later wastes time saying "I wish I had..." I don't 'know' you, per se, but I know enough to know you can do this, and you should :)

:hug: Thinking of you in a big way - keep us posted, okay?? I know you'll be AWESOME. :)

MariaMaria
07-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Lisa-

Would you be expected to run with the kids? CAN you keep up with them? Get some numbers wrt how fast you'd be expected to be, and be honest with yourself. It's a pass/fail question, either you can maintain their speed for their distance while doing whatever you'd be expected to do, or you can't-- and that has nothing to do with how hard you've worked to get to where you are. Age and talent are beyond your control.

I'd be more concerned that (1) you've never been part of organized competitve running, and (2) you haven't been running for long. Also ISTM that part of coaching is having more experience and mileage in the sport than the coachees, and it's likely in this case that you haven't.

You've done a great thing for yourself and you can inspire other kids to become active, but overall my questions relate to whether this is the right spot for you. Truth, I'm not convinced either way.

(Mods, feel free to move this to the 100 pound forum if need be, but both my response and my outlook are coming from a different place and I think the running thread is the better fit.)

LisaMarie71
07-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Maria, I wouldn't have to run with the kids every single time, but I'd want to most of the time. My husband says the girls run between 25 and 30 minute 5ks at the meets but at practice they generally run a bit slower. Obviously they push more at a meet. When I run a 5k distance, I run between 30 and 32 minutes generally. I wouldn't say I'm pushing myself THAT hard at that pace, and I certainly could hang with them around a 29 or 30 minute 5k run. They'll do some speed work during practice, but I'll most likely be timing them rather than running with them for that. I'll have to run some hills with them and maybe do a long run here and there. Long runs would have an easier pace (thank God) and I've worked up to a distance of 11 miles so I would probably be ok with their 5 or 6 miles. So I suppose I'd probably be pushing myself in practice, but I could still do it.

I've never officially been part of competitive running, no. I've certainly been heavily involved in helping out at track meets and such, so I'm familiar with how everything works, but no, I didn't run in high school. I don't know what "ISTM" means, but yes, one would expect a coach to have more experience than the students, and that's what troubles me most. I suppose that's why I would only be ok with it because I'd be my husband's assistant, and he has enough experience to make up for my lack, certainly.

You've brought up some very good points, Maria -- thank you! Lots to think about.

Heather, you've brought up great points too, and I sincerely appreciate your encouragement. The biggest reason I'm seriously considering this is for the chance to help the girls who are out there giving it their all even though they're not "natural athletes." I see lots of them, struggling at the back of the pack, and as much as my husband cares about them, he can't really see things from their point of view. He's never been anything but superfit and superfast. I think I could help them in a way most coaches couldn't. Most people don't think about high school sports in that way -- they'd rather just encourage the star athletes and congratulate the "lesser" ones for being involved but otherwise dismiss them. I want to be a different kind of coach. The good part about it is my husband would be there to handle the stars, because I doubt I'd be that much help to them!

MariaMaria
07-15-2007, 05:32 PM
ISTM = it seems to me. Sorry about that.

Let us know what you decide.

YP1
07-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Hello everyone, a bit of a quick fly by post from me.

I did another 10k race at the weekend. I'm still not back to my fastest after the marathon, but I'm remarkably consistent - I managed to finish this race within 5 seconds of the time I did in my last 10k. I think it all comes down to putting on a vague attempt at a sprint finish in the last km both times to get under 50 minutes (I managed 49:55 last time and 49:50 this time!).

I did 11 miles this evening - my normal routine of 3 and a bit up to running club then the club run. I managed to just about finish by the time thundery torrential rain started, it caught me in about the last two minutes so cooled me off nicely before my shower without me being out in it for too long.

I've got a 7 mile club handicap race on Wednesday which should be interesting. I don't think I'll do my warm up before that one, in an attempt to keep the speed up all the way round it. Then hopefully a long run on Friday because I won't be running at the weekend - I'm going on a learn to climb/abseil weekend.

onthetee
07-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Checking in from vaca....

There is no way on god's earth that I can run here, in the Adirondacks. My calves are crazy knots from just walking everywhere. Running is NOT happening. After Saturday, everywhere we stay has a treadmill, and I can get back to it.

However, these hills are good for the tushy....

LisaMarie71
07-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Sounds fun, onthetee! And walking all those hills will build some nice strength in your legs, which will make your runs easier later on!

I tried a tempo run today and it KILLED me. I can see how a weekly tempo run will really build my speed, though. I have to tweak it a bit, though. I did a 5-mile run today and planned to do the tempo pace from 1.5 to 3.5, for two full miles, but I could only keep it up for 1 1/2 instead. And then I had two full miles to finish and I was completely worn out. Next time I'll do a 4 mile run instead of 5, and I might slow down the pace until I'm ready to step it up.

As for the coaching position, I've decided that I'll take it if it's offered and if I can juggle it with my academic team coaching position. I plan to run with the kids on their easy, slower runs and just time them on their speed workouts. In all this decision-making, I completely forgot that most coaches don't participate with the kids during practice, and they certainly don't do it ALL the time. I was basing my decision on how my husband coaches, but he's kind of exceptional. ;)

cakses
07-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Today was the start of Week 3 of C25K and ouch, pain! My SIL tells me I need to drink some caffeine before running and eat a banana after to stop the soreness. Anyone have an opinion on that? I made it through my run and it wasn't me being out of breath or my muscles that were sore, it's this absolute almost bone pain in my shins. The muscles are sore too just not as bad as the other pain. I'm hoping a few more weeks will tame my body - I think it's just in shock that I haven't quit yet!

MariaMaria
07-16-2007, 07:07 PM
You've got shin splints, Cakses, and bananas and coffee won't fix you.

Google for shin splint stretches and make sure you're wearing proper running shoes.

glitterlicious
07-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Week #5 of the c25k starts tomorrow...20 minutes of straight running by the end of this week whaaaaat? But I can do it...gotta get through the first 2 workouts first...lol.

shananigans
07-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Long time since I posted, and far too long since I ran.

I came down with a virus a couple weeks ago and then (probably as a result of the viral illness) got diagnosed with Bell’s palsy a few days later. It’s most likely going to be fine and I’ll be back to normal in a few weeks, but it’s had me in a real funk.

Finally went out for a 2 mile “just do something” run yesterday. Felt pretty good, almost forgot what endorphins feel like. I’ll be getting back in the swing gradually this week. I just can’t sit and let this silly thing keep me from doing good things for myself. Plus a quick scale check in the morning served as a biting reality check.

LisaMarie – What an opportunity! I can see where you might be hesitant, but I would think about how you and your husband could balance as a coaching team. Like you said, those who struggle need a coach just as much as the star runners! Hope it all works out.

Glad to see so many of the c25k folks doing well.

Hope to be back to report on running progress regularly again.

HeatherAngel
07-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi all :wave: -

*SO* busy this week - but wanted to say hello and keep moving! Finished Day 3 of Week 6 of C25K this morning - LOVE my treadmill! :)

Can't believe I am actually doing it - running... I never thought I'd be able to do Day 1, let alone week three - and now I am nearly running 4KM... not long 'til I am runnning 5KM! And the best part is, the 'end' of the programme now feels like the beginning of more challenges for time and distance... and maybe even hills... one day... :lol3:

Have a great week, folks!

Penney
07-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Hi everyone!

Hoping I could join your thread....

I just started the C25K program on Monday and I have day 2 tomorrow.

I am looking forward to learning a lot from everyone here.

Have a great evening!

LisaMarie71
07-18-2007, 08:46 AM
shananigans -- Thanks for cheering me on! I'm hoping the coaching thing will all work out, but it's not definite yet.

Heather -- you're doing soooo great!! Keep it up!

Penney -- it's so good to see you in this thread! I just noticed that you're in VA -- me too!

I ran 9 miles this morning and it was TOUGH. I don't know what was wrong with me. When I got back I was actually quite dizzy. I even had a bit of a side stitch during the run. I hope my 12 miles on Friday aren't like that!

Today's my 1-year anniversary of changing my life, by the way!

AnneWonders
07-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Hi runners, well, unfortunate circumstances have led to the end of my running hiatus, a small bright spot anyway. So just swinging by to make the public commitment to get out Thursday a.m. (the first day I'm allowed to run after the medical procedure) and run (or run/walk probably after my two month break) a couple miles.

Anne

Penney
07-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Lisa Marie - Where are you in VA? I am in northern VA.... 9 miles???? and I was impressed with my 1.5..... Way to go!

Anne - Good luck on your run!

Okay - I did day two of the program.... Ended up doing 1.5 miles.... I was hurting but not too terribly bad - I think I will be better by Friday. My knee was really bothering me.... but I figure that is to be expected with my weight. Besides - it's the same one I hurt when I was younger and playing a lot of sports. So I think that I just need to give it some extra training.

Take care everyone!

cakses
07-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Today was my second run of week 3 and it was tough on the 3 minute jogs to keep motivated. I made it but I kept looking at the clock just willing it to move forward faster. I was hoping my body would shape up a bit faster and if on Friday I am still struggling I am going to repeat this week again to try and build up stamina. I really do enjoy the feeling of running though and I have finally mastered breathing that doesn't make me feel like I am having an athsma attack! Woo hoo!

I am trying to get back on track with my eating plan as well so some of this weight can come off so running isn't as hard. Running with 70 extra pounds is difficult! I am proud that I have made it this far without injury or just plain old giving up. I can't wait to run 5k on week 9!

YP1
07-19-2007, 03:40 AM
I had fun last night, we did a club handicap race which was just a bit under 7 miles. The weather was actually pretty nice for once, although it was quite muddy underfoot. I ended up overtaking more people than overtook me which was nice (they set the slowest runners off first with the intention that everyone finishes at roughly the same time), and I came in within a minute of the time they had predicted for me (over, but I blame the mud...). We had a bit of a social after which was also a nice excuse to chat - I finally came clean to running club people about the weight loss thing too. I didn't tell them before because I wanted them to get to know me as a runner rather than someone who's lost weight.

HeatherAngel
07-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Bah - rotten start to the day... I must be tired. I only managed 15 minutes on the treadmill, instead of 25 :( I must just be over-tired, I guess. Back at it on the weekend.

Keep up the good running, everyone!

LisaMarie71
07-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Lisa Marie - Where are you in VA? I am in northern VA.... 9 miles???? and I was impressed with my 1.5..... Way to go!

You SHOULD be impressed with your 1.5 -- you just started! That's fantastic! Oh, and I live halfway between Richmond and Charlottesville.

Helen, I know what you mean about not wanting to be known as someone who lost weight and instead just being known as a runner. I'm starting to feel that way, the closer I get to my weight loss goal and the more I progress as a runner. Especially with this coaching thing. If I do take the position, I'm looking forward to a few years down the road, when I'll only be coaching kids who didn't know me at 275 pounds!

Today's an off day for me. I was going to run a couple of easy miles but I'm having some pain in my right ankle, the one I broke a few years ago. Eek. I hope there's nothing wrong!

AnneWonders
07-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Ok, I ran/walked/shuffled but did NOT crawl my 2 miles this morning. I did not take a watch because I did not want to know. But it was slow. The good news is that I ran most of it, at least in smallish stretches. I'm trying not to be disappointed given that I haven't run in more than 2 months, and a week ago I was being prepped for surgery, but you'd never know I ran a half in January.

OK, the goal for the rest of this week/weekend is to get out once more, with a run-as-I-feel-like-it jaunt, and then try to get a little more disciplined and build back some more of what I lost next week.

Anne

LisaMarie71
07-19-2007, 02:51 PM
wndranne, you'll be back on track in no time! It's great that you're getting out there! :hug:

I went ahead and did a quick 2.2 miles after all, and I foolishly did it in the over-ninety-degrees heat of the afternoon. I barely beat the storm, though -- now there's a crazy storm out there. I intended to take it really slow but because it was a short run I was faster than I wanted to be, which proves that building up mileage really does make you faster whether you intend it or not.

hikerchick
07-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in awhile since I have been in and out of town.

After today's 5 mile run I actually saw 145 on my scale well...145.2 but still it was exciting.

Everyone is doing so well. I am struggling a bit to stay on track in the heat.

cakses
07-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Yesterday's run was better, less sore but now I am coming to the "I'm not in good enough shape" to do this part I believe. So far I have tricked my body into doing this, but on those 3 minute runs I am dying by the end. I am going to keep trucking along as best as I can though.

MariaMaria
07-19-2007, 09:30 PM
If three minutes isn't easy DON'T MOVE ON TO MORE. You've had years and years to get into the shape you're in now. That's not going to change in three weeks.

YP1
07-20-2007, 03:51 AM
I had a nice run this morning, I ended up doing 14 miles before work. There's nothing that quite beats that smugness when you get into work already having done your long run for the week. Admittedly my legs will keep reminding me about it all day, but at least I've got people to go and get drinks for me!

ennay
07-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Yesterday's run was better, less sore but now I am coming to the "I'm not in good enough shape" to do this part I believe. So far I have tricked my body into doing this, but on those 3 minute runs I am dying by the end. I am going to keep trucking along as best as I can though.

Try slowing down just a tiny bit. There is a huge cardiovascular gap for most people between their fastest walk and their slowest run and that is what needs to be built up. 99% of new runners run too fast for their fitness level and that actually ends up making take longer to get in shape.

7 this morning. I have been slow slow slow slow lately - I was running along at what FELT like 9:45 effort and it was 11:40 pace unbelievable.

Helen - I cant imagine how early I would have to get up to do my long run on a weekday. My Wednesday mid-length run is getting painfully early as it is.

Anne - good to see you back out there:hug:

YP1
07-20-2007, 11:51 AM
I set my alarm for 5:30 and was out of the house at about 5:36. The run took just over 2 hours which gave me time for stretching, a shower at the gym (and breakfast!) and still getting into work well before 9. It's only half an hour earlier than I normally get up, and worth it once in a while if it's the best way to fit things in.

glitterlicious
07-20-2007, 12:58 PM
hey everyone!

I just finished week #5 of the c25k program...and it feels great.

Who knew I could run 20 min no stopping or walking?

And next week the bar gets raised higher.

I'm thinking about running a 5k when i complete the program...just to finish for starters...next summer hopefully i'll be aiming for times and getting competitive with it. But for now I'd just love to complete one.

HeatherAngel
07-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Great job, Glitterlicious - feels awesome, doesn't it???

Enjoy the start of week six - it'll feel so much easier now!! :)

ennay
07-20-2007, 05:13 PM
I set my alarm for 5:30 and was out of the house at about 5:36. The run took just over 2 hours which gave me time for stretching, a shower at the gym (and breakfast!) and still getting into work well before 9. It's only half an hour earlier than I normally get up, and worth it once in a while if it's the best way to fit things in.

Ahhhh yes....Jealous now...:D 9 am to work- there in lies my problem, I'm already getting up at 5 to do a 7 miler. :p

Someday...someday. I am counting the months until BOTH kids are in preschool/kindergarten and I still wont be working that year and I will have 2 1/2 hours all to myself.

cakses
07-20-2007, 09:13 PM
I completed week 3 of C25K and I was forced to run inside my home today due to weather and waiting on my husband to come online in Kuwait so no gym. I ran much slower because I had less room to run and I made it through just fine without dying so maybe next week I will tone down the run segments a little until I am in better shape. So I am going ahead with week 4 on Monday and hoping for the best!

LisaMarie71
07-20-2007, 11:51 PM
As for getting up early to fit a run in, I've been spoiled this summer because I haven't been working (I'm a teacher). I won't know what to do when school starts! Of course, I've been getting up early anyway to try to beat the heat.

I did 12 miles today! Longest run yet, and it was tough but I made it. Surprisingly, I haven't been completely dead all day.

LisaMarie71
07-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Where is everyone??

I did 4 miles this morning -- it was a tempo run, so I did a 10-minute pace for a mile and a half in the middle of it. That's fast for me, but it was relatively easy to do it today. I'm having some twinges in my achilles tendon, which scares me, so I have to keep an eye on that.

How's everyone else doing?

AnneWonders
07-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Where is everyone??

I'm pretty much sitting like a zombie on the couch and staring blanking into space, largely due to my DH's inability to get DD to BE QUIET on his mornings. I may have to have a weekend away, just to sleep.

Anne

YP1
07-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I haven't been running at the weekend because I've been ROCK CLIMBING! it was fun :D Even if the instructor was the scariest bloke I've ever met - he does 50+ mile fell races :faint: (scary in a nice, how fit must he be sort of way)

ennay
07-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Just finished 18. :faint:

It went really well, my feet are a bit sore, but normal sore, not the toe pain I used to get. chugged a gatorade and some cold pizza because I had less than 60 minutes to eat, shower, and nurse ds (currently doing) before we take dd to a movie. how is that for post run nutrition :lol:

WindyCityChick
07-23-2007, 01:04 AM
Hey, cold pizza sounds like a perfect nutritional choice! Congrats on 18 miles, that's impressive!

Me, I did two 10 mile runs this weekend. Didn't really intend to go that far either day, but the weather here was just so nice, I wanted to keep going and going.

LisaMarie71
07-23-2007, 08:08 AM
You guys are doing some serious running!!

I did 8 miles this morning, and it was a really good run! About an 11:45 pace, which is fast for me on a run that long, especially since I did the first 3 miles with my sister-in-law with her short legs! :lol: It was good, though -- I had enough energy for a little push at the end. It was nice and cool this morning for the first time all summer! I hope the sun hides like that on race day -- I'm starting to worry about those last two miles on the boardwalk with the hot sun reflecting off the ocean!

LeedaRenee
07-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi, I don't even know if I belong here, but I just started Couch to 5k on the Cool Running site and am on my second workout of week 1. It got much easier this time around, though there were still some tough spots. But I look at you guys' runs and think I must be a total wuss lol. Hopefully, I will be there one day !

shananigans
07-23-2007, 10:19 AM
LeedaRenee- Welcome! And of course you’re not a wuss, you’re a beginner. We all started somewhere, and many of us with the couch to 5k program. Look forward to hearing about your progress.

Some serious running going on here. You distance queens rule!

Ennay – 18 miles! I’d say pizza is warranted after that.

I did 3 miles on Saturday, it was ok except for hills, had to walk one of the longer ones. Only a little sore, not as bad as I might have expected considering how little I’ve run in the past few weeks. I started feeling pretty lousy again last week after I’d finished my medication, went to the doc and got put back on the anti-inflammatory steroids for another 10 days, feeling much better already. I’m hoping I can get back up to speed pretty quickly now.

ennay
07-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Gotta figure out how to get back to taking a nap after my long run, I used to run eat shower nap but I havent for the last 3 weekends and it is killing me. I didnt get up to run 3 weeks ago on monday, last week I did and was a walking zombie all day - so exhausted I really shouldnt have been driving, today I got up and ds woke up as I was getting dressed and I fed him and went back to bed. My muscles arent sore but I need more sleep than I am getting. Now I am trying to figure out how to squeeze in a run this morning with the jogger or the gym but I am running out of time already

ennay
07-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Lisa - when is your 1/2?

ennay
07-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Ennay – 18 miles! I’d say pizza is warranted after that.

Oh but it gets better. On the way to the movie I realized I was starving so got a cheeseburger and then AT the movie I had popcorn AND dibs icecream things.

Eating after 18 miles is good, but boy was that nutritionally void.

LisaMarie71
07-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Lisa - when is your 1/2?

It's September 3. The timing worked out quite well, because I go back to work two weeks before that (school starts a week before that, but I have a week of teacher training and pointless meetings to do first), and those are the two weeks I'll be tapering and won't have to figure out where to fit in the longer runs I've been doing in the middle of the week. I'm not sure how I'd train during the school year -- I'm so lucky I had free time this summer! The only thing I'm worried about is running with the cross country team in the icky heat after school every day! I don't want to wear myself out before the race.

dressagequeen
07-23-2007, 04:18 PM
It's near the end of July, and I thought I had posted before. I don't see any of my posts, so I guess not.

I'll start with the weekend, then.

Saturday - Riding Lesson; can't run and ride on the same day - legs fall off!:dizzy:

Sunday - 45 minutes of running with the dog (don't know how far I went; will have to figure it out)

Monday - Elliptical and weights - no running; tomorrow is running day.

ennay
07-23-2007, 07:33 PM
omg - I just did my first (last?) run with the double jogger. Neither kid was napping so I wasnt getting my work done anyway. Got dd up and dressed, got ds up and dressed, got dressed. Noticed the wind was picking up. Get them strapped into the jogger...it starts drizzling. Get my rain jacket to use as a blanket for them as I dont have a double rain shield. Start running. It starts POURING. Then the wind picks up more. Fortunately the one feature of a jogger I insist on is a fully pivoting canopy...so that thing is facing directly into the wind to keep them dry-ish. Great. Now I am pushing a brick. My biceps are quivering. Not to mention that in order to turn the thing weighted down with 2 kids and about a gallon of water I need to put almost all my weight on the handle which is at about boob height on me. This results in a weird stride around corners that looks similar to man running on the moon. (plyometrics?) Then it starts sleeting. But yet at the same time it is still high 70's and muggy as ****.

The kids had a blast.

Ilene
07-23-2007, 07:46 PM
omg - I just did my first (last?) run with the double jogger. Neither kid was napping so I wasnt getting my work done anyway. Got dd up and dressed, got ds up and dressed, got dressed. Noticed the wind was picking up. Get them strapped into the jogger...it starts drizzling. Get my rain jacket to use as a blanket for them as I dont have a double rain shield. Start running. It starts POURING. Then the wind picks up more. Fortunately the one feature of a jogger I insist on is a fully pivoting canopy...so that thing is facing directly into the wind to keep them dry-ish. Great. Now I am pushing a brick. My biceps are quivering. Not to mention that in order to turn the thing weighted down with 2 kids and about a gallon of water I need to put almost all my weight on the handle which is at about boob height on me. This results in a weird stride around corners that looks similar to man running on the moon. (plyometrics?) Then it starts sleeting. But yet at the same time it is still high 70's and muggy as ****.

The kids had a blast.... and I had a blast reading that, I had visuals of you running in that rain, ... Such dedication and YOU got an awesome workout... I crown you :queen: of the week for Cool Runners :lol: ....

cakses
07-23-2007, 08:57 PM
That sounded painful ennay. I find jogging with a single stroller to be hard but a double in the wind and rain, wow.

I am on week 4 of C25K - today was 5 minute segments of running at the highest point and I made it alive, although I definately looked at the clock a few times. My music needs to change as well now that I am running twice as much as I walk. It's just a bit too slow for me.

Wed and Fri are my other run days, and next week I am expected to run 20 mins on Friday and I am dreading it. Well, in a sick way I am sort of excited to see if I make it through without dying. I am so glad I quit smoking - I cannot imagine doing this program while still puffing away! It's been 12 weeks since I quit. Now if I could just get back to eating healthier, things would be great!

glitterlicious
07-23-2007, 09:50 PM
tomorrow morning starts week #6.

I'm actually looking forward to it.

I like the challenge.

ennay
07-23-2007, 11:08 PM
See...this is where that dedication/obsession line comes into play....the people giving me horrified looks as my kids got drenched obviously thought I was a bit ...:dizzy:

You know --the good thing is I didnt have time to think about running at all :rofl:

YP1
07-24-2007, 03:45 AM
I can't imagine running pushing anything, let alone in the rain!

I did 10 miles last night, and another 4.5 this morning. This morning my legs really did feel like they were about to give up, particularly on the hills but when I got back it was the second fastest I've ever done that route, and I thought I was going really slowly. I was giving some new trainers a first run out so I wanted something pretty short and mud free - my old ones are possibly the most disgusting things you've ever seen because I'm running through so much mud at the moment, and I want to keep my new ones a bit nicer at least for a few runs.

I might be doing a 2.75 mile relay race tomorrow evening, I'm not sure yet.

HeatherAngel
07-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Morning all - just a very quick :wave: before I dash off - I am now officially late! - to say hi...

I am on week 7 of C25K; I ran Sunday and decided to go for the distance, not time - the programme calls for 2.5miles or 25min, so I ran the 2.5... in 28. I'm happy with that :) I can work on speed later, and so now I am focusing on distance :)

Cakses - you WON'T die - AND, best of all, you'll feel AMAZINGLY strong and accomplished when you've finished your 20 minutes. I never DREAMED I'd run 20 minutes - what a great programme! Well done, you!!

Have a great day, and chat soon -

glitterlicious
07-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Workout #1 of week 6 of the c25k plan kicked my butt. Well, it was a challenge but now that I did it I feel amazing.

But it's getting me ready for the 25 min run of workout 3 of the week so I can't complain too much.

shananigans
07-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Had a nice 5 am run, went on the trails in the nature conservancy near my house so I'm not too sure about distance. 2.5 to 3 mi I guess. I think I saw a fox, or maybe a small coyote? I just saw it's tail heading for the brush off the trail after I turned around, but it was kind of cool. Glad my dog didn't flip out!

LisaMarie71
07-24-2007, 05:54 PM
I did 3 miles today in 29 minutes -- speedy for me! It would've been faster but I had weird stomach pains in the last mile...eek!

cakses
07-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Today was an no-run day but I forced myself to the gym to walk for 30 minutes and do some weights. My lower back is acting up lately although it doesn't seem to hurt much when I run but afterward. I am working on strengthening my back and stretching. Tomorrow is another run day and I am looking forward to it. Each week I am amazed that I have made it this far. I can't wait for week 9 to come so I can say I completed the program and I am a runner! My SIL is coming to visit me at the end of week 9 and she was here a week before I started the program so she's going to go out for a run with me and be shocked.

ennay
07-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Woohoo cakses!

Lisa - thats fast for me too!

I just wanted to share something with all of the new runners...and old runners. This is my favorite description of what makes a runner

http://www.johnbingham.com/become.html

I had a kind of epiphany today. When I started running it was because it was the most calories I could burn on my lunch hour. My mom's friend asked me today "so do you run to lose weight?" And I answered "No, I STARTED running to lose weight, but now, I run because I love to. - In fact...I lost weight so I could run better"

And I think that might be why this time I was able to break through that 145 barricade and why this time I know there is no going back.

WindyCityChick
07-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the link Ennay, I love reading John Bingham's words of wisdom on running. I read his book "The Courage To Start" when I first started running - it so resonated with everything I was going through, and I'd recommend it to any of you C25K folks (or anyone else, for that matter).

7 miles for me this morning - I hate getting up early, although I always do feel so good about getting my run in before work (when I can bring myself to do it).

HeatherAngel
07-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Morning!

2.5 miles for me yesterday - in just under 28 minutes, so I'm getting a little faster - :joker: !!!

Cakses - I have two weeks left of the C25K, and I have already started thinking (and saying!) "I am a runner"... and without giggling when I say it because I feel like such a liar!! :o

My mum is still staying with us, and this past week what we've been doing is going to the TV - I run, and she sits and watches TV. It's kind of nice - even though she'll turn (like last night) and say "Shouldn't you stop? You've been running a loooong time!" :lol3:

Lisa - I hope to do my 3 miles in about 30 minutes in the next few weeks - and I don't know about your stomach pains, but running makes me FART! :lol3: I does, I swear! :D

Ennay - thanks for the link - hadn't seen that before, and I LOVED it!!

Chat soon, folks -

LisaMarie71
07-25-2007, 10:02 AM
ennay -- Thanks for the link. I love that guy! I read "The Courage to Start" a long time ago when running was just a crazy notion to me, and I always knew I would eventually do it.

Heather -- 3 miles in 30 minutes is VERY fast for someone as new to running as you -- wow!!

cakses -- you're doing AWESOME!!

Rachel -- I like getting my run done in the morning as well, but when school starts I may not be able to. Ugh.

Well, today was the roughest run I've ever had (also the longest). I did 13 miles, and it took a very long 2 hours and 50 minutes. I ended up taking 4 water/walk breaks, and on one of those breaks I had to go into the woods and do a little #2. Sorry, TMI, I know -- but it had to be done. I was 8 miles into the run, and 5 miles away from my house. I knew I had at least another hour of running, and there was just no way. I guess I'm a hardcore runner now! :lol: Good thing I carried tissues with me in a little baggie today. Running with a stomachache is a BAD idea, by the way. Oh, and then it rained for the last 4 miles, quite hard, which makes life difficult when you wear glasses!!

ennay
07-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Lisa - woohooo on 13! you are going to be really ready for that 1/2 --and I wear a baseball cap when I run, it really helps keep the rain off the glasses.

Heather - :lol: parents are funny

Ilene
07-25-2007, 02:55 PM
OMG I am a penguin :rofl:

This article "What's a Penguin?" (http://www.johnbingham.com/penguin.html)
is from that link Ennay mentioned, it's soooo me ... I'm happy not to be alone in my :snail:'s pace ....

You might be a penguin if...

* you have to politely (for the third time) tell the men in the police car moving behind you that No you do not wish a ride.
* you wear your jog bra on top of your singlet. This is especially true if you are male.
* during a race, you keep turning around to see if there is still anybody behind you.
* the rest of the pack is out of sight before you've run 100 yards.
* you meet both the hare AND the tortoise running back towards you doing their cool-down after a race.
* the only reason you don't drop out of a race is that you're embarrassed that the police in the car behind you (closing the course) will see you.
* as you're rounding the corner onto Main Street and the finish line, you overhear the announcer on a microphone to the crowd of 500 saying "we are ASSURED the young lady IS coming in!" (Oh well, at least I was young).
* you recognize all the regular runners on your favorite route from behind.
* you get passed on the uphill by a runner pushing a double baby jog stroller.
* you shoot a 24-shot roll of film during a marathon.
* you make arrangements for a late checkout at the hotel.
* you are more worried about the porta-potty lines than the start line.
* your support crew talks about meeting you for supper, not lunch.
* you have to memorize the route because you know that you will lose the back of the pack.
* the truck picking up the cones is pressing on your behind. (Don't laugh—this actually happened to me!)
* as you pass a course volunteer they ask you, "How many are behind you yet?" and you say "Behind me? Behind? Gosh ... I think two ... Unless they turned around!"
* the awards ceremony is over before you cross the finish line.

Sheila53
07-25-2007, 05:42 PM
:rofl:

I can so relate to the third and fourth one. And the potty issue. I get terribly nervous if I'm in a race that doesn't start and end near a bathroom.

Lisa, that's incredibly fast!

cakses
07-25-2007, 07:27 PM
I did 2.25 miles total today (2nd run week 4 c25k) and I made sure to check at the 2 mile mark and see what my time was. It was 28:04. That is with a 5 minute walking warm up and then the running set of week 4. I guess that is okay. I am interested to see next Fri when I do 20 minutes straight how far I go. I am not worried about speed, but rather am just sort of fascinated that my legs don't turn to jello during all of this.

onthetee
07-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Ilene--I hate the cone truck. I always have been embarrassed that I consider myself athletic but that I was a walker, so I always signed up for the 5K run instead of walk. The guys in the van were always making sure I was OK. I call them the vultures, preying on the slow and the weak!

STILL trying to break my 20 minute issue tomorrow. I have not run in a week, so I have low expectations. I may just do a 12r-2w-8r and call it a day.

LaurieDawn
07-26-2007, 12:33 AM
I am fairly new to running, and I've read some of the back posts here. I have been inspired by a few members of the group here, though (Lisa and Rachel, specifically), so I thought I might start posting here. I wonder if someone could recommend a website that might introduce me to a more formal training program. I run very slowly, but have managed to run 3.5 miles on a few occasions. I wonder, though, if I'm pushing myself as much as I could. For example, maybe I should be trying to go faster for portions of the run? (I do sprint at the end, though even then I'm not sure I qualify as "fast.") I've tried that a few times, but worry that if I might get too tired and not be able to go nearly as far. Maybe I should be increasing my distance at reliable intervals, instead of just seeing what I'm up for at each run? I am very financially limited, so I prefer websites, but I have also been known to buy a book or two from half.com. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

shananigans
07-26-2007, 11:52 AM
I managed to accidentally set my alarm for 6 instead of 5, so I missed my run this am :mad: That's what I get for staying up too late icing cupcakes (don't worry, they're not for me! and I only tasted them a little :^:)

Out-of-towners ariving today, plus a rainy evening means definitely no run tonight. Perhaps tomorrow morning, hopefully the humidity will be down by then.

glitterlicious
07-26-2007, 07:52 PM
25 min run tomorrow (workout #3 of week 6 of the c25k program)

Eek! I'm so nervous about it.

cakses
07-27-2007, 11:11 AM
good luck glitterlicious!!!

shananigans
07-27-2007, 11:49 AM
glitterlicious - If you did 20 min, surely you can do 25! Best not to think about it too much, just run. :)

Got up and ran in the rainy gloom this morning. It was nice to be out when it was cool for a change, but still so muggy! Felt really good, think I'm getting back in my stride. After two restaurnat meals yesterday I'm sure glad I got up and ran even though I was really tired and didn't want to get out of bed. Still kind of groggy, but I've got a fun evening planned so I need to reserve my energy.

Happy running this weekend everyone. I'm gonna try to get out for a long-ish one on Sunday.

YP1
07-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Gah. Today I had one of those "just can't run" days. I got up early hoping to do a long run before work, got to 3 miles and just couldn't carry on. I did a walk/run approach for another 4.5 (mainly walking at first, but towards the end my running legs came back a bit), but it was still pretty disappointing. I'm going to take tomorrow off rather than trying again too soon, then I'll see how I feel on Sunday before deciding how far I want to run then.

cakses
07-27-2007, 07:15 PM
2.36 miles today and week 4 completed. I took yesterday off because it was my son's birthday and it was mayhem all day long and boy did my body let me know this morning that it didn't appreciate that! I won't be skipping out anymore especially with the longer segments of running ahead of me. I am now officially an every day exerciser, and I will just make sure to walk on the non-running days or find a pool to swim at.

I haven't lost an ounce yet, but of course in the last month I haven't been eating well either. I am, however, noticing a shift in my shape, especially my legs. I have been keeping measurements and the numbers are going down slowly. I feel stronger aside from the soreness I have. I am going to try to get back on my eating plan after payday when I can stock up better, and just make better food choices until payday with what I have. I am sick of running with all this extra weight on me. It would be so much easier if I was lighter, so I am going to focus on that aspect as well. I don't want to freak out over it, because I am enjoying the running. What is a good amount of calroies to eat when exercising every day? Currently I am burning around 350 on my run days and 200-250 on my walking days. I just don't want to fatigue myself.

ennay
07-27-2007, 11:31 PM
literally ran errands today. Was supposed to run 7 this morning but kids didnt cooperate. mom is here so at nap time in 85 degree full sunshine I was waffling on whether or not to go and I remembered I HAD to get to the pharmacy today and one other errand so I used the camelbak bag as a backpack (didnt bring the water) and off I went. Ended up doing 4.5, would have gone farther (maybe) but the pharmacy took FOREVER. Did end up swinging by a little shop about a mile from home, buying a cold drink and walking the rest of the way.

WindyCityChick
07-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Well done everyone! And Lisa, you rock - 13 miles!!!! I am so proud of you, and can't wait to hear your half marathon race report. Ennay, you are quite the multi-tasker - guess being a mom makes that mandatory behavior!

A quick 6.2 for me today, hoping to do 16 tomorrow, but I'm a little concerned about the humidity factor, so I'll just see how things go.

royalsfan1
07-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Seems like everyone is doing well even though the heat is really getting up there (at least here in TN it is!).

I graduated from C25K today! I did run a complete 5K rather than running for time. I was pretty slow...it ended up taking me about 43 minutes. However, I did it! Came home and signed up for my first race. It's a women only 5K on September 8. That gives me 6 weeks to train for running in a competition. I'm not kidding myself about placing, or anything, I just really want to finish strong! I'm very excited and proud of myself.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

AnneWonders
07-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Happy Graduation Tricia!

I "ran" a very sad two miles today. Mostly I'm just proud I got out there, because I've been dealing with post-surgical pain for the last week. Anyway, I was pushing the stroller, and it was so massively hot and humid I drank almost an entire half liter bottle while I was out there. DD was mad at me, because I didn't let her run too, well until we were just almost home.

Anne

HeatherAngel
07-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Morning all! I've been so busy with camp that I've hardly had time to think, let alone post, but now I have a week off... before the next one starts! :lol:

:cheer: YAY, Tricia!!! :cheer: You go, girl! Congrats - it's a programme that is changing my life, almost every day! I'm thinking of signing up for a local 5K in October, but a women's only would have had me signed up already!! Good for you!!

Glitter - how'd it go? Did you do 25, or break it up? Makes no difference, so long as you're moving! :hug:

Anne - I'm so proud of you, not letting the surgery stop you - I don't know if that wouldn't just be an excuse for me to stop altogether - you are so inspiring! Feel better soon - !

Ennay, Rachel, Lisa - I can't even imagine running the distances you guys do,... but then again - six weeks ago, I couldn't imagine running three miles... so - wow!

Today is Day 2 of week 8, so another 2.75 miles for me coming up... I don't even feel scared about it now - I just seem to CRAVE it - how bizarre. I have NEVER been athletic - EVER! even doing track and field in school, I hated it - and now it seems the more I challenge my body, the more it responds... isn't it amazing, that we can do so much damage gaining weight, and sitting around being lazy, but our bodies can miraculously rise to the challenge and lose it and get fit? Okay, I know I am waxing philosophical, but it is amazing to me - for SO many years I thought "Well, I'm fat, this is the way it is"... I'm STILL fat, but I'm getting slimmer, and a WHOLE lot fitter - seriously, you guys should have seen me hefting sets at the theatre yesterday with the big boys!! :lol3: You would have been proud, too!

Anyway - enough rambling - I'd rather be running! Shall I get that as a bumper sticker?? :joker:

Have a great day -

YP1
07-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Ouchie, my running seems to be heading for freefall at the moment. Friday's run was horrible so I took Saturday off and intended to do a bit of walking, then run again today. I'm not sure what I did wrong with the walk (OK, it was a long walk - about 14 miles - in the hills, but not that bad), but mid way my achilles started giving me pain, and today my hamstrings (both of them) have just gone and I can barely stand up let alone think about running.

I hope I get my running mojo back soon!

hikerchick
07-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Helen I hope you feel better soon.

i had a pretty hard day too. Meant to run 8 wound up running 4 walking 2 but it is so hot so I do what I can.

Congrats to all you brand new runners. It is so exciting to go from not running to running. Yay for that.

WindyCityChick
07-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Tricia - woo hoo- :carrot:Congrats on graduating from C25k!

Helen, rest up, and I hope you get back on track soon.

Me, I did my 16 miler today, and felt pretty good throughout. Tried Gu for the first time today (I had been using Clif Shot Bloks for my longer runs), and I gotta say, I did not care for it at all - way too sweet and, well, gooey! Think I'll go back to the Shot Bloks.

onthetee
07-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Tricia---I am flooded with envy! I am still stuck at that 20 minute thing.

Helen--So sorry that things have hit a snag. On the other hand, I had idealized you to the point that I thought 'sloggy' days were only me and never happened to you. Hope you are feeling tip top again soon.

onthetee
07-29-2007, 06:39 PM
I know I should just do the 20 consecutive minutes and shut up about it already. But it is a head thing, and I just cannot get past it.

Do I move onto the next week of Cool Runnings and skip the long run?

Do I call in my neighbor whom I don't know well but is a running goddess marathoner? I am sure if I act pathetic enough she would run 20 minutes with me to help me see that I could do it. Seasoned runners...how would you react to someone asking you to spot them through a tough time?

Do I adjust my expectation and decide that for every 12 minutes, I need to walk a few, then run, then walk?

I feel like such a freakin' weeny!

royalsfan1
07-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I think asking the neighbor is a great idea. She'd probably take it for the compliment that it is. I've found that seasoned runners are the MOST helpful and encouraging of people. It seems like they're very excited when someone wants to love what they love. :)

MariaMaria
07-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Do I adjust my expectation and decide that for every 12 minutes, I need to walk a few, then run, then walk?

Depends how many is "a few." If you can't run 20 without stopping, just continue to increase the minutes that you CAN run without stopping. There's no magic in reaching 20 minutes by a certain week, and C25K progesses a lot faster than many other programs.

cakses
07-30-2007, 02:15 AM
I'd say ask the neighbor. I know as a swimmer, I offered to to slow down and swim laps with a girl who needed to pass the 500 yd swim for her lifeguarding exam. It was rewarding to swim it again just to help her out and I barely knew her at the time. I bet your neighbor would feel the same way.

LisaMarie71
07-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Hey guys, long time no talk! I've been out of town (still am) AND both my work and home computers died at the same time on Thursday. So I'm taking this opportunity at the hotel to check in since I don't know when I'll be able to get back online.

I ran 3 miles before heading out of town on Thursday but I haven't run since. I've been hiking the gorges here, though, and it's quite beautiful. Does a number on your hamstrings too! I'm in the Finger Lakes region of New York for a short little weekend vacation, and I'm heading back home today.

Sounds like everyone's keeping up with their runs! Helen, I hope you feel better soon and take care of those aches and pains! :hug:

royalsfan1
07-31-2007, 07:41 AM
I ran 3.2 miles this morning in about 43 minutes. Still very slow. Does that pace just gradually pick up as I get used to running further???

onthetee
07-31-2007, 10:03 AM
My plan is to run 30 minutes in a row, THEN try to get my three miles into that time frame. For me, I know that only have a certain amount of time that I can exercise each day. My dad is a track coach and this was his suggestion. He said that if you have a goal, like a 10-minute mile, make sure you can do the time needed, then work on speed.

HTH

HeatherAngel
07-31-2007, 10:26 AM
That's an interesting idea Tee - hadn't thought of that, and certainly if you're sticking to a time restriction, that makes sense!

Tricia - I am having a love affair with my treadmill - I can choose the speed, so that keeps my time in check. At the moment I am running at 5.2mph, so I am doing 3 miles in about 34.5 minutes... at least that's what I did on Sunday! And it was funny, because when I started, it felt slow, but by the end, it was the right speed!! :joker:

My goal is to get up to 6mph, and keep adding to my distance... not sure in which order I'll do that though. Might forget the speed for a while (a LONG while! :lol:) and go for extending the run time and distance :)

shananigans
07-31-2007, 11:02 AM
Tricia – Congrats on your graduation! Sky’s the limit now, good luck training for your first “official” 5k.

All the other new runners – sounds like you’re doing great – keep it up!

Helen – Hope your running mojo is back.

ennay – Enjoyed reading about your literal errand running. I’m too sweaty when I’m running to show myself in public establishments, otherwise it sounds like a very efficient thing to do!

onthetee – I think asking your neighbor is a great idea! Sometimes a little support is all you need to get past a block. You can do it, you will get there!

Didn’t make it out over the weekend at all, just way too much going on! Was too hot by the time I got home last night so I got up early this morning to run.

I don’t think I’ll be taking my dog to the conservatory anymore, one of the coyotes decided to ask us to leave this morning! Believe me, I did not argue. I walked calmly as I could in the opposite direction, after he was out of sight I started running again and took the nearest exit out of the park. Looked behind me and there’s the coyote crossing the street into someone’s yard, look back about 4 blocks later, still trailing us, but at a respectful distance. As soon as I crossed the street that boarders the conservatory he was gone. I have a feeling he was just escorting us off his property. Guess I’ll have to stick to road runs for my early mornings out with the dog, save the trails for longer runs on my own on the weekend.

YP1
07-31-2007, 04:22 PM
thank you everyone for your encouragement, I think the mojo might be coming back. I haven't actually run yet, but I played netball this evening and didn't have any pain so I might be ready to go back to running club tomorrow. The only problem is that I don't have a car at the moment (well, I do, but it doesn't work), so I'll have to cycle there. That bit isn't the problem, it's the 4 mile ride back uphill after the run that I struggle with! I'll see how I feel tomorrow before deciding whether to run or not, but I'm feeling a lot more positive about the possibility now.

AnneWonders
07-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Two miles again this morning. I'm still getting back in the groove, and did two walk breaks, both on uphill sections, but it was way better than my last couple of runs went. I also didn't want to go (!) but dragged my backside out there.

Helen, I'm thinking positive for you.

Shenanigans, I find my dogs attract wildlife too. I actually prefer to run without them, although they are both too old now for it really to be an issue any more.

Tricia, I found my pace picks up over time, but I sort of plateau after a while. Then I have to do speedwork if I want to pick it up. If I take a layoff for any length of time, I have to start over. onthetee, I think the constant time thing is a good plan. Hi Heather, Lisa and cakses. Hi everybody else (apologizing for being too lazy to go back a page!).

Anne

WindyCityChick
07-31-2007, 11:01 PM
I need a little advice from my running buddies. I had mentally decided to work up to a marathon next year, since registration for the Chicago marathon this fall is already closed. Well, someome put a little idea in my head that I should go somewhere else where there are still open slots for a marathon. So, I started poking around on the web, and discovered that the Portland Marathon in October is still open. I have some good friends in Portland, so could stay with them for the weekend and do the marathon on Sunday.

The only thing is, I'm feeling unsure about the distance still. I am running some fairly decent distances these days, up to 16 miles for a long run, and am averaging 35 miles a week. But, 16 miles is still 10 miles short of a marathon. Do you think two months is enough time to get me where I need to be for a full marathon? Part of me really wants to do it, part of me is a little freaked out at the idea. I am also planning on doing a half marathon in September, about a month before the full marathon.

Any words of advice???

Ilene
07-31-2007, 11:06 PM
Rachel -- I have no wise words for your question but I just wanted to comment on your pics... OMG :love: you look amazing!!!

AnneWonders
08-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Rachel, for a first time marathon, you'd probably want to build up to a long run of about 20 miles, and since you are already at 16, you can build up to 20 in about 3 weeks to a month. That leaves time for a 2-3 week taper, so, yeah, I think you can do it. The question is are you mentally ready, because I think the marathon is about half mental. If you are ready to do this for yourself and go out and have a good experience, then great, go. If you are doing this on someone else's schedule, then you might want to wait. You sound excited about the possibility though!

My marathon was done on a good 16 mile long run and an 18 miler that I totally bonked on (bear in mind I was doing a LOT of cycling at the time which was also a big aerobic help). Not that it wasn't painful, but it was a good race.

HeatherAngel
08-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Wow, Rachel - I'm so impressed that you're thinking about it that I have nothing helpful to say - I'm so new to running, and can't even imagine doing a marathon! - except WOWEE!! Let us know what you do decide :)

ennay
08-01-2007, 12:32 PM
I need a little advice from my running buddies. I had mentally decided to work up to a marathon next year, since registration for the Chicago marathon this fall is already closed. Well, someome put a little idea in my head that I should go somewhere else where there are still open slots for a marathon. So, I started poking around on the web, and discovered that the Portland Marathon in October is still open. I have some good friends in Portland, so could stay with them for the weekend and do the marathon on Sunday.

The only thing is, I'm feeling unsure about the distance still. I am running some fairly decent distances these days, up to 16 miles for a long run, and am averaging 35 miles a week. But, 16 miles is still 10 miles short of a marathon. Do you think two months is enough time to get me where I need to be for a full marathon? Part of me really wants to do it, part of me is a little freaked out at the idea. I am also planning on doing a half marathon in September, about a month before the full marathon.

Any words of advice???

I'm doing portland!!!! Come join me!

You are on pace to train for a full if you feel up to ramping it up. I'm not running that much farther than you and the only reason I am doing more now is I have Hood to coast 6 weeks before the marathon so I will be scaling back for a bit

If you did 16 you are right on pace...you only build to 20 in most programs.

YP1
08-01-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm back. I made it back to running club tonight, I didn't intend to run particularly far or long, and started off with the slow group (the whole of the middle group seemed to have gone awol and I wasn't going with the fast lads), but ended up doing almsot dot on 6 miles at 8:30 pace which I was really pleased with - particularly because I've been cycling everywhere this week which sometimes tires me out, and I haven't done a proper run for about 10 days. Fingers crossed I'll be OK to get a long run in at the weekend, I've got a bit of confidence back now at least.