General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-30-2007, 09:21 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default Fireworks At Home!

Well, not really But from a little hill, quarter of a mile from our house, we can see them going off at a nearby park and the pier. I am not sure what we are doing around here yet. Haven't been around much the last two weeks to talk with my kids and their spouses to plan. Bet we will BBQ though, not sure what, we usually do the hot dog and hamburger thing...maybe a switch this year would be nice...hummm?

What are you ~

Doing for the 4th of July celebration?

Any good picnic or BBQ recipes or ideas you would like to share?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:34 PM   #2  

The 4th of July is a week long event for me. Being its my favorite holiday, and all my friends' favorite as well.

Of course I do the family-thing, and we set off our own fireworks, and BBQ.

Then for the rest of the week, I hit up about 4-5 different parties/firework shows in the surrounding area.

This year: We've got the firework show at Mount Rushmore on the 3rd, our town's celebration on the 4th, and at the Lake on the 7th (wear we watch from the boat, it's awesome)

I love the 4th!! Can you tell?! Hehe
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240ish/240ish/160

Height: 5'2"

I usually don't do anything. This year I am working (only til 4pm). Then I was thinking I might brave the big hoopla downtown. Only I have no one to go with as I just moved here. Trying to decide to go it alone or not.
newFannie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Well Fannie...you just might some new friends if you venture out. Good luck and I pray you have a wonderful day no matter what you choose to do!

Angie was reading a Good Housekeeping magazine on our trip to Colorado last week, I noticed a page on hot dogs...it had many ways to eat them, one of which was with bruschetta...tomatoes, basil, and garlic...I made some last night and to be honest..I liked them!! Not too healthy really because I used Nathans...but good. Maybe I will add that to the BBQ here on the 4th.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

We dont get to see fireworks anymore. It doesnt get dark enough here to start them until almost 10 and by then the kiddos are long in bed.

I have a 1/2 marathon in the morning (its supposed to be sweltering hot ) and then probably hang out with friends most of the day. Probably grill burgers/boca burgers etc.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:40 PM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

We always go to the big fireworks show that is held near us. Then we come home and all the teenagers here shoot off their fireworks down our long driveway. DH shoots fireworks with the kids. I don't. I won't touch them at all after having a Roman Candle blow up in my hand when I was about 13 yrs. old. (Yes, I know you aren't supposed to hold them, but my Big Brother handed it to me and told me to hold it and I was stupid enough to do it, ONCE).

I will probably cook grilled chicken and corn on the cob and have watermelon for dessert. I'm finally back on track with eating right and don't want to screw up again for a long time.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

I guess I am getting old as I am so thankful to have the day off LOL... also I am taking Thursday and Friday as vacation days. I am not doing anything special or going to any big displays... but I can sit out on my third floor deck and watch them going off all over the place. They are illegal in Bothell but a lot of people still set them off, and also I can actually see quite a few of the Seattle ones as well though they are farther away.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:40 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Heading to my grandpa's for the 4th. They set fireworks off on the river across the street from his house. My aunt will be fixing a feast, just don't know what its going to consist of as yet. And I'll follow it up by staying over a couple of nights so my daughter and I can paint my parents' livingroom floor. We're going to do the old cabin style painted hardwood with polyurethane.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

It's going to be too hot here to really enjoy anything outdoors (predicted 120 degrees with humidity). We might go see a movie, DH wants to see the new Die Hard one.

We'll BBQ burgers and roast corn for dinner. Then we'll head up to the roof at 9 PM to see the fireworks from the park down the hill. We don't get a great vantage from up there, but it is a lot better than dealing with the traffic and crowds at the park itself. And besides, it will still be 90+ degrees at 9 PM! I'd rather be on the roof for 10-15 minutes and then go inside to the air conditioned comfort! Need to remember to lock the doggies in DD's room with the stereo on (old dog has some serious issues with fireworks and thunder).

DD leaves early the next morning for her trip to China, so it will be an early night for us.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

God I would LOVE to see the new Die Hard. Haven't seen a movie since before our son was born. Guess I'll have to wait on that one to hit DVD too. ::sigh:: Some people are soooooooooo lucky. LOL
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 240ish/240ish/160

Height: 5'2"

Thanks EZ for the kind words. I was going to go, but then tonight I got invited to a cookout by the family I live with. I don't know the people who are hosting, so I am taking your advice.....meet new people. Always hard for me as I am very shy.

It already sound like I live in Iraq with all of the fireworks going off (they are legal here for home use).

Have a great holiday all!!!!
newFannie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I have a 1/2 marathon in the morning (its supposed to be sweltering hot ) and then probably hang out with friends most of the day. Probably grill burgers/boca burgers etc.
Good luck in the half today ENNYAY. Angie and I did a marathon back in 2001...walked it...5 hours 43 minutes...13 minute miles not bad for an old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
We always go to the big fireworks show that is held near us. Then we come home and all the teenagers here shoot off their fireworks down our long driveway. DH shoots fireworks with the kids. I don't. I won't touch them at all after having a Roman Candle blow up in my hand when I was about 13 yrs. old. (Yes, I know you aren't supposed to hold them, but my Big Brother handed it to me and told me to hold it and I was stupid enough to do it, ONCE).

I will probably cook grilled chicken and corn on the cob and have watermelon for dessert. I'm finally back on track with eating right and don't want to screw up again for a long time.
Remind me to stay out of your neighborhood LILYBELLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
I guess I am getting old as I am so thankful to have the day off LOL.......
MISTI, you sound like me more and more each day

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven View Post
I'll follow it up by staying over a couple of nights so my daughter and I can paint my parents' livingroom floor....
My son painted our livingroom wall once...well "colored it" with crayons would be more exact

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
It's going to be too hot here to really enjoy anything outdoors (predicted 120 degrees with humidity).They didn't "disclose" that information when you moved there? To the desert? We might go see a movie, DH wants to see the new Die Hard one.

We'll BBQ burgers and roast corn for dinner. Then we'll head up to the roof at 9 PM to see the fireworks from the park down the hill. We don't get a great vantage from up there, but it is a lot better than dealing with the traffic and crowds at the park itself. And besides, it will still be 90+ degrees at 9 PM! I'd rather be on the roof for 10-15 minutes and then go inside to the air conditioned comfort! Starting to sound more like MISTI and I each day too Need to remember to lock the doggies in DD's room with the stereo on (old dog has some serious issues with fireworks and thunder).

We just put Reba and Rylee in their crates, in the garage gym room ,at 9:00 like every night and so far no problems or complaints from them.

DD leaves early the next morning for her trip to China, so it will be an early night for us.
Prayers for a safe trip for DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newFannie07 View Post
Thanks EZ for the kind words. I was going to go, but then tonight I got invited to a cookout by the family I live with. I don't know the people who are hosting, so I am taking your advice.....meet new people. Always hard for me as I am very shy.

Me too! But the more chances you take the easier it becaomes. Have a fun day!!

It already sound like I live in Iraq with all of the fireworks going off (they are legal here for home use).

Do you live in LILYBELLES'S neighborhood?

Have a great holiday all!!!!
Well, we gave the kids the "day off" from our house, since my kids are both newlyweds Angie and I thought they may want to spend time with friends, the beach etc. They are....then they said that they are bringing a bunch of their friends over for a BBQ around 3-4 this afternoon and play bocce ball and shuffleboard....better get to the store for more food....there goes the plan for Angie and I to have a nice quiet day watching MONK and TWILIGHT ZONE marathons on TV ....wouldn't want it any other way...

HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY LADIES! ENJOY YOUR FAMILIES
Old 07-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #13  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Fannie we went last night to Fair St.Louis. The Goo Goo Dolls and Lifehouse were on and it was a great show. It was mobbed with people and their was a Cards game on as well. We've gone each year to at least one of the concerts. They have some good bands. Tonight we are staying in our town as they put on a big show and loads of people come.

Enjoy the day.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #14  
Pending Email Confirmation

i foresee steaks and asparagus on the grill, a big ol' bottle of wine...and trying to go to sleep when everyone outside is setting off fireworks. Really never have enjoyed the whole set your house/yard/friends on fire celebrations...

plus we don't have any family that we want to be around.... I expect a nice quiet day.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:11 AM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

OK...so Angie and my "quiet "day ended just a minute ago as 13 25+ year olds headed off to fire works after an afternoon of wine ~ beer ~ burgers ~ goodies ~ bocce ball and shuffleboard ~ A GOOD DAY FOR ALL! They even all helped clean up the mess...as usual!