Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Lightbulb Light Ice Cream and Fat Free Mayo

I'd like to know what Light/Fat Free ice cream actually tastes good, and the same for FF mayo. I haven't had any ice cream or mayo for awhile, because I don't trust most of it; I don't trust the fat in the yummy stuff and I'm afraid the light stuff will be nasty.

ALSO: what's better for you as far as weight loss progression goes? Low fat ice cream or sugar free? And why?

Enlighten me!

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 06-29-2007 at 11:15 AM. Reason: I had another question I wanted to add :)
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I use Best Foods Low Fat Mayo (Hellman's in the south). I'm not a huge mayo fan, but it's good to bind canned tuna or salmon for sandwiches.

As far as ice cream, it's a huge trigger for me, so I don't buy it for the house. I keep frozen dark cherries and frozen mangos in the freezer for sweet cold treats. I did try a frozen coconut bar that was dipped in a thin dark chocolate shell recently, it was pretty good and about 100 calories.

I prefer to avoid fat free/sugar free stuff - it triggers me just like the full fat/full sugar versions.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:29 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
I'd like to know what Light/Fat Free ice cream actually tastes good, and the same for FF mayo. I haven't had any ice cream or mayo for awhile, because I don't trust most of it; I don't trust the fat in the yummy stuff and I'm afraid the light stuff will be nasty.
I like the light mayo, but not the ff. Because, yes, it's nasty. Not worth it to me. I'd rather take in the extra calories for something that tastes better than force myself to get used to something that's..... well, gross.

Ice cream, I really don't eat much of it. But I prefer the lowfat to the sugar-free. It just tastes better. The sugar-free stuff is actually TOO sweet, in my opinion. And it tastes fake. If I'm going to indulge in ice cream, I want the good stuff. But I go for the "light" ice creams to cut back on fat and calories. My favorite ice cream is the Breyer's Light, double churned. Yummy stuff! Another nifty little item I like to keep around are the Edy's Dibs.

http://www.dreyers.com/brand/dibs/fl...ing.asp?b=1392

If you can trust yourself not to sit there and eat the whole carton, they're great to have around for that "I've got a sweet tooth and I need some ice cream right now" type thing. To me it's just easier than scooping out regular ice cream into a measuring cup so I know I'm eating only 1/2 cup (which is the typical serving size). That and a 1/2 cup just doesn't seem like enough and I feel deprived, so if I've got the ice cream bites around, I just grab a few of them and then stick the carton back into the freezer. To me, that's actually more satisfying than measuring out regular ice cream. And once I eat a few bites of the Dibs, I'm good.

However, if I want regular ice cream and I don't want to look at a measly 1/2 cup sitting alone in a bowl looking completely lost and lonely (LOL) I scoop the 1/2 cup of ice cream into a small ice cream cone. This kind here is what I buy and they're very low in calories.

I don't feel as deprived when I eat the ice cream from a cone rather than in a bowl.

Quote:
ALSO: what's better for you as far as weight loss progression goes? Low fat ice cream or sugar free? And why?

Enlighten me!
Well, that all depends. I'd much rather watch fats than sugar. But the sugar-free or "no added sugar" ice creams tend to have fewer calories than the lowfat. So really it's just a matter of how many calories you want to take in. But I personally think the light ice creams taste better than sugar-free.

Last edited by LLV; 06-29-2007 at 12:35 PM.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Edy's/Dreyer's Slow Churned Low Fat ice cream! It is by far the best--very creamy and doesn't taste low fat at all. I make sure to weigh it (100 cals/serving) and then put fruit over the top. Yum!

I find that I can keep vanilla ice cream in the house without incident. The high-quality by-the-pint ice cream (Ben & Jerrys, Godiva) is a disaster waiting to happen. But a half gallon of vanilla poses no threats to my safety. The important thing is to know thyself
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111 View Post

I find that I can keep vanilla ice cream in the house without incident. The high-quality by-the-pint ice cream (Ben & Jerrys, Godiva) is a disaster waiting to happen. But a half gallon of vanilla poses no threats to my safety. The important thing is to know thyself
I'm EXACTLY the same way! I AVOID Ben & Jerry's, Godiva, and Haagan Dazs because it's just SO bad for you... AND it tastes SO good, that it won't last more than two days... IF even; I've been known to eat a whole pint at once
Old 06-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

As far as ice cream is concerned I only eat the regular kind on rare occasion. I've never found a light one that I could choke down. I think it's more a texture thing for me versus taste. I do like soy ice cream though. Soy Delicious is the brand I like. You can't taste the soy in the flavored kind (vanilla is a different story.)

I do love ff frozen yogurt (the soft serve kind.) We have a self serve place here locally. We'll go sometimes and I get a cone without toppings. It's fun to eat a cone and it's easier to control portions that way.

As far as mayo, I'll do low-fat, but not ff. The ff has too many chemically sounding ingredients in it and it tastes funny.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:27 PM   #7  
I'm a LOSER, baby!

I like the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches and fudge pops.
hidingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

I can barely tolerate the lf mayo, and usually go without or use just a bit of the real stuff. And no matter what, it has to be Best Foods/Hellman's.

Ice cream - well, I just don't eat much. We always have regular Dryer's/Edy's (what is with all this switching names for different parts of the country anyway? ) in the house as my DH loves ice cream. I like a soft serve cone occasionally, and I go buy one. Portion controlled.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:46 PM   #9  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

As far as ice cream goes, I go for the real stuff (no low fat) - since it would've been a caloric splurge anyways, I might as well not risk compromising in the taste department. However, I do enjoy some Haagen Daz Light varieties (Caramel Cone, S'Mores), though the calorie savings are less than 100/serving compared to the regular stuff.

For mayo, I like Best Foods Light Mayo -- for some reason, fat-free mayo just taste one step too far removed from the real deal so I can't bear to make that transition (I feel the same way about milk too, I can do the 1%, but skim is a "no way, jose" -- or bessie )
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
(what is with all this switching names for different parts of the country anyway? )
The way I understand it, they call it Edy's in regions where there's another brand called Breyer's spelled with a B. (Where I am, and I'm also in Hellman's country, Best Foods is the West Coast name.)

I like Skinny Cow, Breyer's and Klondike Slim-a-Bear sandwiches, but the problem with Skinny Cow is they come packed in a plastic clamshell and sometimes the sandwiches kind of stick to the plastic; Breyer's and Klondike wrap theirs individually.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #11  

They call it Edy's here, too... I've never heard of Dreyer's. Infact, when I saw the link to "Dreyer's", I thought it was some kind of typo and I do agree, the Slow Churned stuff is really good.

Light Mayo CAN be good - I personally like French's Gourmayo - light mayo with wasabi and horseradish. It doesn't taste quite so "light" because of the yummy seasonings. I remember trying FF mayo once (I think it was called Bright Day or something) and thought, "EWW!!!" but it was a long time ago, and I figured maybe my taste buds have matured. After all, I hated vegetables until I was 15 when I forced myself to enjoy them.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #12  

Edy's makes a fabulous light chocolate-covered ice cream bar (@ 150 calories). I LOVE LOVE the Dove, etc. bars that are mega-calorie -- and these are a GREAT substitute. A lot of the low-fat/low-calorie ice cream bars are like ice milk with a nasty fake chocolate taste. These are REALLY GOOD if you want to slash the calorie count.
ShihtzuX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Exclamation

Quote:
I personally like French's Gourmayo - light mayo with wasabi and horseradish. It doesn't taste quite so "light" because of the yummy seasonings. I remember trying FF mayo once (I think it was called Bright Day or something) and thought, "EWW!!!" but it was a long time ago, and I figured maybe my taste buds have matured. After all, I hated vegetables until I was 15 when I forced myself to enjoy them.
1. Does anybody make light or ff mayo with garlic? There's a restaurant about a block from my office, for a while earlier this year they had a roast-beef sandwich with garlic mayo on the side and I liked that

2. This is probably gonna get me d but is there a difference as far as ingredients between mayo and Miracle Whip? When I was a kid, my mom always got Miracle Whip and when I had mayo on a sandwich, like at a lunch counter, I thought the mayo was tasted like grease. Now I don't mind the mayo (at least if it's used in a salad or if it has flavor in it, but i don't put it on sandwiches) but I don't care so much for the Miracle Whip
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Just bumping this thread to second the plug for the Edy's/Dreyer's Ice Cream Bars. They were on sale at the store the other day so we bought the chocolate covered vanilla ones and the chocolate crunch ones. Both are fantastic and at 150 calories, they are a real treat for a dieter. You can't even tell that they're low-fat.

Yum!!!!

Never again will I try to stomach one of those nasty Skinny Cows or the only slightly worse Weight Watchers bars.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANOther View Post

2. This is probably gonna get me d but is there a difference as far as ingredients between mayo and Miracle Whip?
Mayonnaise is thicker. Miracle Whip is technically a "salad dressing" (though I'd never want it on my salad, UGH!) because it has additional sugar and vinegar.