40-Somethings - Five Day 40-something Challenge!

View Full Version : Five Day 40-something Challenge!

ShyCammie
06-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Hey Ladies,
This is a challenge to really stay focused for 5 days (yes, five little days), to really help any of us (ok me) with program consistancy.
For me, the five day challenge needs to start on Thursday (one of my hardest days:fr: ) because,Tuesday and Wednesday I've got routine and organization in my life. (Shoot, I have a hard time getting to the :comp: computer on weekends.) If I focus on Thursday through Monday, to get the program consistancy, I will feel a sense of accomplishment. I hope others may benefit from the 5 day focus.
Five days.
Just 5 days.
(In my case, I will "rinse and repeat" the following Thursday.)
So, today the 28th of June 2007, I start my 5 day challenge. Anyone who wishes to join me is welcome. :grouphug:
:gossip: Who's in?
Cammie

srmb60
06-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Anybody can benefit by doing something consistantly for five days in a row. Whatever tempts you, put it off til Tuesday ... or ??? Who knows maybe the notion will go away.
I'm going to walk each day. Nibble healthfully and have a good supper.

hopingtobehopeful
06-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Hey Cammie and Susan, Count me in! :carrot:

I am going to be out of touch until Monday or Tuesday so it will help to know you guys are out there!

Let's see, I have a picnic Saturday night. Hmmmm. I will bring a fruit salad and raw veggies to counterbalance the chips. I will eat a healthy breakfast each day. I will walk my Mom. (Yes, I said walk my Mom. No, she's not a puppy but she has some health issues. :) )

And, I will be cheerful, gosh darnit! :devil:

Good luck to all!

ShyCammie
06-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Hoping,
That's too funny (walking your Mom)...I walk and bike my daughter...so, I understand.
I'm really glad you're joining us...I look forward to hearing how it goes!
Cammie

iminhere
06-28-2007, 03:07 PM
ok..5 days..I'm in...

do we report daily? how do we do this??

iminhere
06-28-2007, 03:08 PM
I will find something/someone to walk :p

whether they like it or not!! :)

ShyCammie
06-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Hey there iminhere,
I prefer to report daily. It helps me to stay accoutable and I'm more motivated by reading of other's innovations.
If for some reason you have to be out of touch, then, catch up when you can...(for instance, away from computer at beach day would mean I type in my beach day report upon my return).
For instance, today I've had 1 cappacino, 1 coffee, blueberries with plain yogurt and splenda, 1 frozen entree, and 2 small plums. Tonight I'm planning hamburger salad (a lowfat hamburger on greens with tomato, onion, and perhaps half of my daughter's whole wheat bun) and peaches and cream for dessert.
Exercise: I walked for 40 mins today, and plan a NO TV night. I've got too much to do.
I know Thursday evenings are one of the hardest for me, so we'll see how it goes.
See y'all tomorrow.
Cammie

iminhere
06-28-2007, 04:57 PM
ok...daily is fine with me...but today I guess I wasn't so good...I haven't eaten at all...I had a cup of coffee....I swam for 30 minutes...I will eat soon...it's 2pm....so b4 I do any house work I will eat something sensible..I am thinking a protein shake and an orange and a peach,,,,

for dinner I am having a big salad with tuna on it....

Steelslady
06-28-2007, 08:05 PM
I started already. I did 35 minutes on the recumbrant bike and am going swimming in the lake out back in five minutes for hopefully a half of an hour.

Last night, I ordered three weighted hoola hoops for my daughters and myself. I can't wait to get them, it will add ten minutes of fun exercise (or frustration trying to keep the blasted thing up and swirling :rofl: ). :carrot:

Awesome thread, and one that should be repeated in the future!

srmb60
06-28-2007, 11:36 PM
I did OK. I walked, did weights for arms but ate almost 1800 cals.

Slashnl
06-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Ok, I'm late getting in on this. I'll give my support and go with a 4 day challenge! ha!
Laura, I got this picture of you pulling some unsuspecting stranger down a walking path. Funny!
Steelslady: No idea they had weighted hoolahoops. I couldn't do the normal ones, not so sure that would work well for me!!
Have a good one!

srmb60
06-29-2007, 08:51 AM
I can't hulahoop either!

iminhere
06-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Ok, I'm late getting in on this. I'll give my support and go with a 4 day challenge! ha!
Laura, I got this picture of you pulling some unsuspecting stranger down a walking path. Funny!
Steelslady: No idea they had weighted hoolahoops. I couldn't do the normal ones, not so sure that would work well for me!!
Have a good one!

those unsuspecting strangers can be so resistant!!

I have one of those hula hoops...I CAN'T KEEP IT UP!!!! :o

(yea..I know...it happens to EVERYBODY sometimes.....)

Slashnl
06-29-2007, 01:02 PM
You crack me up, Laura! Keep 'em coming!

iminhere
06-29-2007, 01:15 PM
hey everybody...I am good so far today...some of my leftover tuna (I actually have LEFTOVER...teehee) on a crispbread and coffee for bfast....

I swam for 25 minutes and I am doing heavy housework today (moving furniture etc)

I find that the low fat mayo with tuna isn't as abhorrent on crispbreads as toast...I don't know why...maybe it's a texture thing...but it was really quite good...

iminhere
06-30-2007, 01:23 AM
hey...where are my fellow challengers??? :?:

well..I did a bunch of work today (plus my swim) :carrot:

I made stuffed peppers with extra lean beef (7%) and "rice" ( I use shredded cauliflower) ...it was delish...and I also had a 90 cal edy's vanilla ice cream with ff cool whip and Waldenfarms cal free caramel...

so I 'm doing ok...I am UNDER my cals for the day...but I am fine...not hungry...:)

come back everybody!!! :p

Steelslady
06-30-2007, 05:50 AM
I did great the first day, exercising on the bike for 30+ minutes and swimming for 50 minutes. Yesterday, however, I felt a bit under the weather (allergies) so all I could do was some arm exercises with the stretchy band. I even took a nap, I felt so drained. I plan on doing more today, though- perhaps a nice walk and the exercise bike again. Too cold to swim, and it doesn't look like it's going to get warmer for another week. :(

Steelslady
06-30-2007, 05:56 AM
Have a good one!

There is a thread on the exercise board, and some folks gave an explanation as to why adults can't hula hoop- they need bigger and heavier hoops to be able to do them. I read around the internet to see if this was the case, and it appears to be true. Curves and other gyms have them- I myself had no idea there was any such thing for adults! I use to be like my oldest daughter and be able to hoop for hours. I'm lucky if I'll get the hoop to rotate once before falling :rofl:, but I look at it this way, one way or the other, I'll get exercise. By trying to get it swirling, to squatting down to the floor to pick it back up and try again. :D

srmb60
06-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Good calorie count, bad food quality yesterday. But I walked a lot. I got a new MP3 and am loving the variety of music I put on it.

iminhere
06-30-2007, 04:57 PM
so my 1st day was good (already reported) taday I had tuna again!! so much leftovers these days.... and 2 20cal lifesaver popsicles...I am addicted to them I think....and a peach..it is almost lunch time but I am not hungry yet....

lots more work to do today and I swam for 25 min....

Steelslady
06-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Played tennis for 40 minutes tonight. While the kids were retrieving the balls that were hit out of the court, I walked around the court so I was moving the whole 40 minutes. :rofl: We had a blast. :carrot:

srmb60
07-01-2007, 07:51 AM
I don't suppose having 20% of your calories coming from wine is good? :o

Naw, huh? But I am staying nicely active outside and am relaxing!

iminhere
07-01-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't suppose having 20% of your calories coming from wine is good? :o

Naw, huh? But I am staying nicely active outside and am relaxing!

was it FAT FREE wine?

srmb60
07-01-2007, 04:11 PM
But of course! ;)

Iskwesis
07-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Ok, I'm in. I'll start tomorrow!! Monday....yuck. It is a long weekend here in Canada:carrot:

I am at 183 and want to get down to 140, not too much weight to lose, but feels like I am scaling a mountain :(

Oh well, here to weightloss:dust:

srmb60
07-02-2007, 05:39 AM
Yesterday was low calories and lots of activity. I feel good and will weigh myself at work this morning.

That actually wasn't hard. It would seem that being part of a short challenge just kept me more mindful of what I was shoving in my face.

ShyCammie
07-02-2007, 10:04 AM
WOW Ladies!
Everyone is doing SO well!
I've been eating healthy but skipped the journaling Fri thru Sun while we were on our "mini break." Friday and Sunday I had a large Mocha Latte at Starbucks. (bad) I estimate it at 1000 calories. If it's less, don't tell me. If it's more...please let me know.
Other nutrition/portion control, was good, except for the fish crackers Sunday night.
It appears that I'm better with portion control under 2 conditions. 1- Someone else (adult) is watching me eat (read eating with me, not making "observations" or judgements). 2- I eat every meal at the table (not the car, in front of the TV, at my desk, etc).
The great news is that Thurs, Sat, and Sunday I walked 2 or more miles! (Yay!).
My motivation is SO high. I just have to make it thru today! I'll start again on Thurs (since I have that day off it will be more of a challenge).
Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!
This seems to be great for helping me with the motivation I need for consistancy.
Cammie

hopingtobehopeful
07-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi all! My computer's been down since Thursday night as I suspected, but it was nice coming in this morning and seeing every one's commitment. Just thinking about you guys out there kept me on track this weeknd! :hug:

Did great on Thursday and Friday. We moved our offices, so lot's of exercise and good healthy food choices. Saturday and Sunday were a little harder because of early 4th of July parties. BUT, I ate good breakfasts and lunches both days and really didn't do too badly at the picnics. AND I walked about 3 miles each day! :carrot:

Today I am doing great and munching on a salad as I type.

I weigh in on Tuesday's so this Thurs-Tues challenge is PERFECT for me! :D

Hang in there everyone! Hope

srmb60
07-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Oh yes, that was good. We may have to do that again in a couple weeks!

ShyCammie
07-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Well Ladies,
I don't know if this short little challenge was good for anyone else, but it was good for me.
I learned some stuff:
- Even in a 5 day challenge, I was inconsistent with my workouts (missed 2 days)
- I would rather do housework than work out
- I really need to concentrate on drinking enough water
- I have difficulty in the evenings when I'm tired from work (Monday evening I found myself standing in front of the refrigerator saying (outloud) "I had a plan to deal with my sweet tooth. Now what is it?" Eventually I remembered and was able to ingest appropriately.)
- My life is an "on the go" life. It's a challenge to maintain a food journal.
I didn't realize that I'd learn 5 such things about myself in 5 days. But I did. So, I'll be doing the challenge for myself again starting on Thursday.
(That does NOT excuse me to go off track today and the 4th.)
Thanks for joining me on this short journey.
Cammie

Slashnl
07-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Housework beats out working out? I guess it is the lesser of two evils!
Thanks for starting the thread. It makes you take a hard look at what you do over the weekend!

iminhere
07-03-2007, 11:59 AM
well..I did pretty well for the 5 days as did ALL of us!!

YAY!!!

I learned a few things too...

I look forward to the next one !!!

Steelslady
07-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Hey, we need to keep this going for another five days. It's been working- I have the sore muscles to prove it. :rofl:

When do we start again? :D

hopingtobehopeful
07-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Hi ladies, this was Great! Thanks, Cammie for starting it.

I learned that:

1. Just because it's a weekend, I can eat sensibly.
2. Walking 3 miles a day will NOT kill me.
3. It's easier when I know others are out there!

Looking forward to this week's challenge!

I LOST 2 POUNDS! :carrot:

Steelslady
07-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Congratulations on the loss, hopingtobehopeful! We can and WILL do it! :carrot:

Slashnl
07-03-2007, 02:36 PM
So, Cammie is going with Thursday (I think?), so should we start a new thread on that day or just keep this one going?

iminhere
07-04-2007, 12:57 AM
:goodscale

hey...

:dancer:

guess what....

I lost 2 pounds tooooooo...!

OH yea.....

srmb60
07-04-2007, 05:27 AM
Thursday? I can do that.

Good work everyone!

Slashnl
07-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Laura!!! 2 pounds is great!
Congrats!!!!

hopingtobehopeful
07-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Hooray for us! :D

Are we on again today! I'm in! :carrot:

iminhere
07-05-2007, 01:28 PM
I am in too....should we use the same thread? or start a new one???

CAMMIE!!!!!!!????????

ShyCammie
07-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Hey everybody,
CONGRATULATIONS ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is fantastic news!
Let's use this thread for now. If it becomes a tradition, we can start a new thread next month.
I didn't do horrible yesterday, but I've found it's hard to journal (or type) with a 2 yr old...;)
Plus yesterday I got back on the bike...it was 15 mins out over 20 coming back (against the wind)...daughter was like, "Ok, mommy, can we go swimming now?" :D
I'm doing great today. Got exercise done, (*cross trainer) and am headed out to an appointment and grocery shopping. Will bike tonight (I hope).
I'm still stoked about this 5 day challenge...(that's funny because I'm not usually stoked about something like this for any time longer than a few days).
Gotta run, will check in tomorrow.
Cammie

christabell3
07-05-2007, 01:38 PM
I have the weighted hula hoop it's fun, but the first few times I was black and blue around the waist looked like I'd been beat. So wear a couple of shirts. good luck and I'm in on the 5 day also

Steelslady
07-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Laura- way to go!!!! :carrot:

Today, I went for a bike ride with my younger two kids. I had to stop, though, as I didn't realize my brakes were gone on the bike, and of course, a car was coming at the same time a giant hill was just below us.....thank goodness I was able to pull over just in time and drag my foot to slow the bike down.

Also, I did hula hooping for a bit today- got to keep it up for 11 seconds straight a few times. :rofl:. I also went around the cove on my boogie board, kicking my legs around the lake, but it was so cold, I got out after 15 minutes.

In spite of my exercise "problems" (no brakes on bike, too cold to swim for too long) I got some exercise in, that's all that matters. :D I'm trying to use the outdoors as much as I can for now, so that my body gets used to different exercises, and changes my routine around so that I don't get bored using indoor exercise tapes and equipment.

I love this challenge- it keeps me honest! :carrot:

iminhere
07-06-2007, 12:28 AM
those weighted hula hoops are killers!

hopingtobehopeful
07-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi 5-dayers!

Yesterday I did great with my food. Logged in to Fitday, planned what I would eat, ate regularly so as not to get too hungry and stopped eating at 7pm. (Who is this woman? ;) )

Exercise - not as good. Went for a walk but only about 1/2 mile because it was so humid. But I gotta tell ya - that's more than I've done in the past so I'm not too unhappy.

Today, I'm leaving the office at 1pm - hair cut, manicure, grocery shopping then home for a walk with my mom.

I don't log in over the weekend so here's my plan in advance:

Eat like a human!
Walk whenever possible.
Clean the house Saturday morning.
Garden in the afternoon.
Be nice to my poor mother who makes me nuts (I'm her caretaker, say a prayer for us both).
Town fair on Sunday afternoon.

I'll check in later!

:hug: Hope

iminhere
07-06-2007, 01:16 PM
good for you Hope....keep up the good work...

I am still on plan....again yesterday I felt like I overate but when I logged everything in I was ok...

still swimming...havent gotten out for that walk yet, but doing alot of housework....

srmb60
07-06-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm all over the map on this one. Yesterday I ate a truck load and today I couldn't care less about food. I did, however, exercise both days.

iminhere
07-07-2007, 12:54 PM
I am liking the challenge ...it keeps me mindful...plus I feel like I am only dieting 5 days at a time!!

ShyCammie
07-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Laura,
That's part of what works for me too.
For me it's just a "Five Day Focus." If I'm more focused on my "hard days" it seems that they're easier. (That may sound stupid, but it works for me. "It's just 5 days," I keep telling myself. My activity levels are definitely up and (relief) so is my motivation.
(For instance, today driving in to work, I remembered that I forgot some necessary items for tonights activities. Normally I'd drive home at lunch time, get what I need, and not work out. Not today. I'm planning on leaving early and coming back to work out.) Why? Because today's a focus day.
I'm glad this concept is working for someone else too.
Cammie

hopingtobehopeful
07-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Good morning all,

Congratulations to everyone for hanging in! I agree, it's easier focusing on a few short days vs. how much time it's going to take to lose this weight and get in shape. When I think about the long haul, I get scared that I will slip back into bad habits. But when I focus on today, I can do it. The old saying, "It's easier to eat an elephant bite by bite than with one big swallow." Of course, I am trying not to feed my elephant, just this human body!

Did pretty good over the weekend. Never once di I eat unconciously. Everything that went into my mouth was thought about. I did have a small popcorn at the movies Saturday night, but I planned for it and had a small dinner before hand. Had 1 cup of reduced fat ice cream last night, but again, I planned on it in advance. Ate a ton of veggies and good fruit. Walked on Saturday and also cleaned the garage, which is hard work. Weeded the gardens on Sunday with a lot of deep knee bends and then went to a fair and did a lot of walking.

Exercise is a hurdle for me. I have so little time in my life that I'm trying to incorporate it into my regular activities. (Thus the squats while gardening. I'm sure my neighbors were getting a kick out of it.)

I love, love this thread!!!! And having all of you out there and working is a great help!

iminhere
07-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I am down 2 lbs again this week!! :carrot:

hopingtobehopeful
07-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Iminhere! You rock!

iminhere
07-09-2007, 08:56 PM
thank you Hope!!

we ALL rock baby, YEA!!

:grouphug:

ShyCammie
07-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Five day results:
Laura - FANTASTIC news! Your work is paying off!
As for me, I've got some NSVs...
My activity level has significantly increased. (From Thursday 5 July thru Monday 9 July I had only one day that I didn't exercise at least a little and that was Thursday). My actvities included biking, walking, "hiking" (read walking in a nature park), and water jogging.
My food journal was sporadic at best, but by Monday I actually got the whole day into the journal - Yay! When I figured out that I ate 850 calories for supper (oh my gosh! :fr:) and (you're not going to believe this...) 105 carbs! I realized that my carb count is definitely too high for me to expect weight loss. (I guess I suspected that.)
Also in my journal, I asked a rather pointed question: What is an "active life"? What was an active life 50 years ago vs 100 yrs ago? Or compared to my 2 yr old daughter's activity level?
I consider my life sedentary. I work in an office cubicle (on the 3rd floor of a a walk-up), but when does it become "moderately active"? (Relative to today or 50 yrs ago.)
I also wondered if I laugh enough. Joy, less stress, etc, that all produces endorphins which help lose weight.
Anyways, I'm reviewing my week and learning (again) from it. I may not be seeing results like Laura (congrats again), but I'll get there. In my next 5 day challenge, I'm thinking some weight will come off. After all, I just have to journal for 5 little days, right?
Cammie

hopingtobehopeful
07-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Hi Cammie -

Great post. i wonder about the activity level definitions myself. I also work at my desk all day, but since June (and a move to a new building) I've added significant walking to my daily activities. 2 quarter mile trips for coffee, 1 one mile round trip walk to the bank and a short lunch walk, maybe half a mile. So I am walking about 2 miles each day as part of my regular activities. On the weekends, I am gardening, cleaning and walking about a mile. I've also included the old WW tip of adding steps - parking in the back of the lot, etc. So, have I become moderately active now?

Also, mentioning joy and laughter - I think these are things to be more conscious of. It's amazing when we clear our minds of the overeating fog, how more connected to our lives we become. Embracing this is the key to making this a way of life vs a diet.

Okay - done with the philosphy! I am looking forward to my weigh in tomorrow! Even if it's no change, it means I own this 7 pounds I've lost!

Have a great day everyone! Hope

iminhere
07-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Cammie...you are doing well on the activity...I DO swim everyday, but I need to exercise more...

maybe we should start a daily exercise accountability thread??

but I will admit....you dinner calories were almost MY WHOLE DAY!! and the carbs were 3 days worth for me....sometimes I fantasize about sandwiches.....I'd rather be fantasizing ABOUT SEX!!

THAT'S what's great about journaling...b4 I started I had NO IDEA how much I was eating!

but now I need to get out there in the morning and walk...I need to do it in the morning...otherwise I run out of time....

that is my next goal...

ShyCammie
07-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Hey there...
I'm back on "day one" and I know that this is indeed a "tough day." I'm tired and have had 2 cups of coffee :coffee: already.
BUT, I KNOW that this 5 day challenge has really helped me re-focus.
I only have to make it through Monday.
Because today is normally a day when I get the "munchies" at work and go home tired only to eat a large amount of un-healthy food, I've tried to prepare myself. I have celery and peanut butter for the munchies at work and I have the chicken in the crock-pot cooking at home. I even got the beets out and ready so all I have to do is pop them in the microwave.
I also plan to go grocery shopping tonight so, I'll have a ton of stuff to do instead of sit like a blob. (I'll have to wash the fruit, put the salads in containers, cut the cucumbers, etc).
So, anyways, this is day one for me so far...
Anyone else planning to challenge for 5 little days, again. :D
Cammie

hopingtobehopeful
07-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi Cammie - I'm in! This is going to be a tough one because my mother and I are having company today through Monday and we have lot's of eating plans already. Tonight is fine because I started a low-fat chinese chicken crock pot dish this morning. With a salad and I skip the rice - pretty on-plan.

The rest of the time is going to be eating out so I hope I can order sensibly. My relatives stress me out a bit and I have a tendency to eat in defense!

Good luck to all! I love the 5-dayers!

ShyCammie
07-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Hoping,
SO glad that I'm not doing this by myself!!
I can relate to the worries of eating out, off schedule, and with the stress of family!
I've been really trying to figure out what I'm going to do during my vacation to see my Dad, his wife, then later my Mom. My Dad and his wife love to go out to eat at some great restaurants. And it's SO kind of them to take me and my daughter. BUT the food is SO good, and there's WAY too much of it. Because I'm trying to keep my daughter "within reasonable" behavior for a ritzy restaurant, I gulp down my own food and am still hungry, remembering only how good it tasted. Aauggghhhh!
I've been busy trying to figure out how to overcome this two week obstacle. (Especially since I'll be out of internet range:stress:!)
So, here's the deal...I'm with you. How ever you need support.
But I'm going to be pretending that you're at every meal with me on vacation. You're going to be looking over my shoulder and making faces like, "Do you really want to eat ALL of that?" After all, I'm going to have to report back to you when I get back from vacation.
If there's something I can do for you while you're in the "unroutine" of family around, please let me know.
I want to support.
Cammie

hopingtobehopeful
07-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Cammie - When do you go away?

I just took a walk and thought about what I am going to do during the next five days. So here's my plan so far:

1. Don't beat myself up. :club: A bad meal is not the day of the plan.
2. Always order a salad with dressing on the side to start.
3. No bread before dinner. :nono:
4. Don't beat myself up. :club:
5. Order marinara sauce at the Italian restaurant and try and order 1/2 portion.
6. Ask myself, what would Cammie do?:hug:
7. Split dessert 4 ways and have a bite of creme brulee.
8. Don't beat myself up. :club:
9. Order coffee with milk right after the entree to remove the yummy taste.
10. Move, move, move! :carrot: Offer to get things for everyone. Run up and down stairs, get the mail.
11. SMILE!!!!!! :D

Any other suggestions to survive the relatives invasion?

hopingtobehopeful
07-13-2007, 09:57 AM
I made it through Thursday, with company, on plan! Down a pound this morning! Life is good! :carrot:

ShyCammie
07-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Yay Hoping! :cheer::congrat:
You're doing excellent! And that's just more motivation to keep yourself "within bounds."
I'm excited too.
According to the scale this am, I'm down to 234... :goodscale
I'm just so excited.
(My knees hurt like heck and I still have to finish my journal :write: from last night to see how the cals/carbs came out.)
But man...I'm totally motivated to get out there and work out tonight and this weekend! :bike2:
I'm actually excited again. :trampo: (THAT is increadible.)
Keep taking care of yourself so well, Hoping. You're doing FANTASTIC! :goodluck:
Cammie

iminhere
07-13-2007, 11:14 AM
good job everyone...I am STILL ON PLAN!!

hopingtobehopeful
07-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Okay ladies,

I'm off for the weekend! I went on-line and got the menu from the restaurant we are going to tonight and figured out what to eat and stay on plan. Hoping that Saturday and Sunday are not too outrageous. At least I know I'll be moving a lot because I've planned all sorts of walking :cb: things with my company.

Cammie - Isn't it amazing to be excited about something like this? I'm psyched too! :dancer:

Laura - Hooray for being on plan-day 2! :cp:

Good luck to everyone! I'm with you in spirit! :hug:

iminhere
07-14-2007, 02:02 PM
YAY US!!!! :cheer:

we are AWESOME!!!! :cp:

I am almost to my first 10 pound mark ...ONE MORE POUND TO GO!!!!

WOOHOO!!! :woohoo:

thanks you guys.....you help me everyday!! :grouphug:

hopingtobehopeful
07-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Go Laura! Go Laura!

I'm a pound away from 10 too. At least I was on Satuday morning. Things went downhill from there. Although I walked Saturday AM and had a beautiful salad for lunch at the lovely restaurant, I also had bread with BUTTER :o and a dessert. Dinner was a bowl of ice cream :o !

Sunday - confession time - English muffin and fruit for breakfat (not bad), lobster roll dripping in BUTTER :o for lunch with loads of GREASY :o onion rings, hot fudge sundae for dinner! :o

Today, however I'm back on track and hopefully will be back to last week's weight in a couple of days. :carrot: I didn't even bother with the scale this morning.

In self-defense, I had my mother, and my 2 aunts with me all weekend and they are VERY difficult! I love them but, enough!

Hope you all have a great, on-plan day! :hug:

Love, Hope

ShyCammie
07-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi Ladies! GREAT Challenge work!

Laura - FANTASTIC!! Keep inspiring me!
Hoping - You did better than me this weekend and I didn't have the stress of relatives. You're almost to 10lbs! Wow.

I have to admit, it was a tough weekend for me. First, I didn't weigh myself at my normal time on Saturday am...instead, I weighed late and allowed myself to get discouraged by the number on the scale. Then, I was a slug. I mean seriously, I did very little besides watch my daughter and TV, cook, and go to church. (Then after church we went grocery shopping and I succumbed to donuts. ARRRRHHH! I started going to church Saturday evening so that I wouldn't be tempted by donuts and coffee afterwards!) I certainly didn't exercise! I blamed it on being tired. (There is at least some truth in that. I had difficulty keeping my eyes open at work on Friday and we didn't go to be early on Friday night despite my efforts.) Sunday, not much better exercise-wise. I did go for a walk while my daughter rode her tricycle (obviously not speed walking:^:). My nutrition was fine Sunday with the exception of eating like, half a water melon (not in one sitting, just throughout the day).
I have relized that the scale number thing is significantly impacted by my water and salt intake. (Last week was kind salty.) And I didn't make things better by drinking only 1 qt water on Sat and 2 qt water on Sunday.
The other thing I realized this morning, is, the number on the scale SHOULD NOT impact how I feel about myself or about my plans/need to exercise and eat right. Exercising and eating right are what I need to do to be "nice" to me rather. Sitting around feeling defeated...that's not helpful to improve the situation, nor is it something "nice" for me (think opposite of a present).
This weekend also got me thinking about another subject though. How do I tell the difference between being tired and "taking a break" and being lazy?
I found myself "going there" in my mind, attempting to mentally beat myself up for being lazy. The reality is July 5th was my last "non exercise" day before Saturday July 14th. So, was it horrible? Does that make me lazy?
I shoulda/coulda cleaned house, done laundry, etc, but I rested. Does that make me lazy. (No, I don't have mountains of laundry, just one load of darks and one of lights...but the house could really use a vacuum.)
Am I expecting myself to be supermom...or am I lazy?
I don't know.
But it's Monday, and yes, I'm tired. I think I'll feel better after my walk today. And it's going to be a nice long one. (I'm going to treat myself.)
Wish I'd have logged on this weekend and been inspired by everyone here.
Cammie

Slashnl
07-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Sounds like there have been some ups and downs with everyone. I've been stuck in the downs for awhile, but I'm breaking free of that today. I know it is already well into the 5-day challenge, but I just couldn't get it together! My eating has been ok, but I haven't exercised much at all. Today, my 11 yr old son and I went walking/running. He is getting ready for football, so he does more running. I do much more walking, but try to jog a little bit too. So far, so good on food. It's been hot here, so I've had no problem getting enough water!!

Hope everyone else has a successful week!

iminhere
07-16-2007, 11:56 AM
hi everybody...today is weigh in day and I didn't make the 10 pound goal..:(

I stayed on plan and did well on the challenge, but I only lost one pound...:?:

I guess I will have to try harder this week....

Slashnl
07-16-2007, 01:02 PM
It will happen for you Laura!! Just hang in there!

ShyCammie
07-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Well Ladies,
It's Thursday again.
My weight hasn't budged.
I'm absolutely exhausted :faint: having a daughter who wouldn't go to sleep until almost 11pm last night and then didn't want to get up or be cooperative this morning.
I'm having a hard time keeping my eyes open. :coffee:
BUT, that's why I know that this challenge is right for me.
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday...five little days for me to refocus my energies on eating right and working out.
It's going to be tough to work out when I'm this tired. But, I'm hoping it will energize me again.
Hope we all see results this week. (I'll keep moving even if I don't though.) :kickcan:

Slashnl
07-19-2007, 10:39 AM
So far so good for me. Got up early and walked/jogged. I really struggle to do that even though I feel so much better when I get it done. I was thinking the other day that this challenge should start on Monday.... but then I realized that I wanted it to start on Monday so the weekend could be free and I wouldn't feel any guilt for giving in to bad habits. So... duh!... that's why it is great that this starts on a Thursday. I'm working on it!!

hopingtobehopeful
07-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Hi girls!

Didn't want you to think Im not playing this week! :D I've been sick the last couple of days with ovary issues (jeesshhh!) so I have not been on track at all. The good news is that I've only gained one pound and I think it may be water weight, although I can't be sure anymore! I'm having surgery on the 2nd and that should make a big difference in how I feel.

Meanwhile -

GO 5-DAYERS GO!

Laura, remember when we were glad we only GAINED one pound? (That was today for me!) One pound down is FABULOUS you sweet thing!

WE ARE BEAUTIFUL and SUCCESSFUL and IN CHARGE!

My goals for the next five days:

Walk EVERYDAY day!
Situps (50) once a day.
Try to remember that icecream does NOT cure cramps!
and have some fun!

I'll check back in on Monday! I'm off tomorrow and only check in from work.
Have a great weekend everyone!

ShyCammie
07-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Well despite exhaustion, I got in my 40 minute walk today. Nutrition's been good...tonight's supper is the real test.
Cammie

iminhere
07-20-2007, 12:41 AM
hi...my weight isn't moving...I feel like I have TOM but I don't...that happens sometimes...I feel like I get it every month, but I actually only get it every 4 months....

ugh...

still on plan...even tho I don't wanna....

ShyCammie
07-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Laura,
I totally understand. My ticker's been at 237 for probably a month, maybe more. Does that mean that I've strayed from my plan? (Yeah, a day or two, but nothing dramatic.)
I figure I'm going to keep at this ("doing the right thing for me"). It really doesn't matter when the scale moves. (I admit it would be SOOOoooo nice to get some postive feedback from the scale. But staying the same is better than going up.) Eventually, I figure it will go the direction I want it to as long as I stick with things.
As for the "feeling" you've got TOM, I understand-a little. I have PCOS, so, I've felt like I had TOM a lot, but got no period a LOT throughout my life. Unfortunately, it wasn't on any kind of cycle and was impossible to predict. It may be possible that your body is prepping the egg, just not ovulating as the hormones in your system decrease. (Personnally I use progesterone cream around day 18-day 25/26 in order to give my body the extra pop on the egg.) The cool thing is, at this point in our lives, we can chart our cycles and know that even if we don't get TOM, it's the right time to get it. We know what's going on.
Anyways, you have my support. You're doing a fantastic job of sticking this plan every day no matter what that darn scale says. (Personally, I think I'll be super disappointed if I don't see a change in 2.5 months, but I keep telling myself that's no reason to give up...modify, maybe, but I have to be consistent.)
You have helped me to be consistent by being consistent yourself.
Thanks.

hopingtobehopeful
07-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Hi all, I'm off today and wouldn't normally try to get in on this ancient computer I have at home, but I'm off today (said that) and in danger of going a little food nuts. You are my support today.

Laura, the scale will move eventually. Our bodies are just making some adjustments. I find it very difficult to be patient when I know 10 years ago, I could lose 5 pounds in a week. But logic says, if we lower our caloric intake and up our exercise, it will happen. Hold on to the logic and don't listen to your emotions.

Irregular menstrual cycles are new to us to so, like Cammie says, chart where you are and look for patterns. I have had my period for 10 days now and can't even say what's normal for me anymore. Water weight? Who knows?

Okay now - please celebrate with me.........

I have lost 10 POUNDS! 10 POUNDS! 10 POUNDS! Is it water weight? Who cares? I would change my ticker but I think my computer would crash LOL.

Slashnl
07-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Congratulations, Hoping! That's great news! Keep on with the losing!

iminhere
07-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks Cammie...I will keep trudging along...I have just been feeling a little sorry for myself...I HAVE stayed on plan tho...and that's good....after all...we won't get ANYWHERE by giving up ...!! right?? :hug:

HOPING!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!
:bravo:

:woohoo:

:congrat:

iminhere
07-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Laura, remember when we were glad we only GAINED one pound? (That was today for me!) One pound down is FABULOUS you sweet thing!

OMG!!! YOU"RE RIGHT!!! I forgot about that! :lol:

Slashnl
07-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Hey Laura, I understand feeling sorry for yourself! I've been stuck in that for a couple of days now. But, I'm also staying on plan. We're here at the weekend, which is a struggle for me normally, so I'm really trying to be careful. Hope everyone else has a good weekend!

iminhere
07-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks Diane...yea..I am still on plan too....weigh in is Monday...I don't have high hopes, but at least I'm no longer moving in the other direction!!!

txgirl
07-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Hey, is this still going on???? I need a challenge for Monday thru Friday. The weekends are sorta "not orgainized" because all the family is here and I can't just eat my regular lean cuisine lunches. Can we have a group that is serious Monday thru Friday?

I would love to be in that group!

Let me know if you are on board with this????
Terri

txgirl
07-22-2007, 07:29 PM
I guess it has been a long time since I posted because it shows me only having one post. I guess that gives be a "do over". I am blogging on 3 fat chicks blogs and now I will try to post on this community place more often.

If you don't have a blog here - get one. It is so nice just to vent to your self.

-Terri

ShyCammie
07-23-2007, 10:44 AM
First things first:
Hoping- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D
10 POUNDS!!! That's a big sack of potatoes!
Sounds like you're feeling better.

Welcome TX Girl, Terri! You're welcome to join and use any 5 days you want. The reason I focus on Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, is BECAUSE they are so "not organized"! For me that makes it very hard to do things healthy, like, not eat the donuts that I ate this weekend.

Aside from the donuts, all the other nutrition was good and even as I put the donut in my mouth I was thinking, "Do I really want to do this? I'm going to have to admit it to Hoping, Slashnl, an Laura...I need to time things better so I'm not hungry when I'm so close to donuts..." In the end, I did eat the donuts. But I ate them slowly, I enjoyed them, and I set the rest aside (previously unheard of).

Weekends like this past one are very hard for me. I read the Harry Potter book from when it arrived (11am) to 6 am the next morning, allowing my daughter to play and watch way too much tv. But then my sleep cycle was all out of whack and that made the rest of the weekend difficult.

I'm "on a jet plane" tomorrow to go on a 2 week vacation. :cool: I've made plans to walk each day, the nutrition will be challenging for me, though. I'll also be out of contact with y'all. :( The support you provide me has done worlds of good.
Please keep me in your thoughts as we drive into August. I'll be back on the boards for sure by 8/9 August.

Slashnl
07-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Have a good vacation Cammie! We'll be looking forward to hearing from you again when you get back.

I did ok this weekend. Not great because I was lacking in formal exercise, but on plan for food. We went fishing, so I wasn't sitting on the couch, but it still isn't all that active!!

Welcome Terri! I just started blogging on 3FC recently. You'll have to tell me what your blog is called so that I can look for it!

Hermit Girl
07-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Count me in. It's Monday today, and the five weekdays I generally have to myself, so, my challenge is to keep my walking everyday up, and eat watermelon all day (I do cook & eat dinner with my DH in the evening).

In fact, every Monday is good for me to start fresh ! :carrot:

hopingtobehopeful
07-23-2007, 04:57 PM
CAMMIE! Good luck on vacation. We're thinking about you the whole time! Remember to try your best but don't beat yourself up!

Welcome everyone else and GREAT job to Diane and Laura! We made it through the weekend. I'm with Cammie - the reason I need the 5-day challenge is to make it thru sat-sun. Other days I'm fine! So even if they still aren't the best days on my plan, they are BETTER and that's a start!

Slashnl
07-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Yes, it went pretty good for all of us, I think. Hopefully with our new additions to the thread, we'll all keep doing our best!

txgirl
07-24-2007, 05:18 PM
I am all over this 5 day challenge thing. I have been on Weight Watchers (many times) but (this time) since end of March. I have lost 15 lbs want to lose about 5 more. Even when I am at my most serious at losing - I don't usually write things down on the weekends. I loosen the rules a little. So being serious Mon - Fri is right up my alley.

I have a blog on 3fatchicks blogs. It's called Stop Bouncing! Bouncing refers to my weight bouncing around. I want to get to my goal and STAY there. Funny huh? How many times have we all said we were going to do that????? I usually lose weight - get comfy with feeling better - stop keeping up with points and then what happens??? weight bounces back up. I don't want that to happen again this time!!!

So the blogging and talking to you guys on this forum really helps.

Thanks for listening to my rambling. Talk more later,
Terri:dizzy:

hopingtobehopeful
07-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Okay, Wednesday is usually our reflection day, so I'll start. I did great with exercise, medium with food plan and I'm giving myself the big thumbs up for not such a bad 5-days. I reconfirmed that I eat when I'm bored. I also reconfirmed that I hate to cook and, unless it's there and ready to eat, I am likely to stray from a well-intentioned meal to an english muffin with peanut butter. At least it's better than the Doritos I used to go for!

Diane (SLASH!) and Laura, WE MADE IT THROUGH!

TXGIRL, welcome! Doesn't matter which 5 days you choose. 5 days is so much better than no days, right? Weight Watchers is a great plan. I'm doing calorie counting and eating every 3 hours. Working at the moment but you never know when I might need to change it.

As for the bouncing, well I've done 180 to 160 to 150 to 167 to 145 to 135 to 165 to 175 to 180 to 165 to 175 to 202. So I know!

Meanwhile, I'm working on some goals for the next 5-days and will post them like a good doobie.

iminhere
07-25-2007, 01:10 PM
heyb everyone! I haven't been online because I haven't been feeling well...this site is really hard on my PC and I just haven't been feeling up to sitting here and WAITING while my PC freezez up and so on...

HOWEVER...I plan on reading through the threads and catching up with everyone!!

YES Hoping...we made it!! I DID finish the 5 day challenge...AND I have reached my 1st 10 lb goal...YIPEE!!

hopingtobehopeful
07-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Go Laura!

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:
:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

(That's 10 cheers! One for each pound!)

Yeah, this site will make you crazy on a slower PC. I don't even try it at home1

But anyway, HOORAY!

iminhere
07-26-2007, 02:21 PM
thanks for the cheers hoping!!

actually my PC wasn't all that slow b4 I came on here....

hmmm....

still reading threads trying to catch up!!!

hopingtobehopeful
07-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Okay, it's Thursday 5-Dayers! I am driving 5 hours each way this weekend to pick up my mom and staying overnight at a relative's house. In the past, that's always been an excuse to stop at Micky-D's and eat FF's and 1/4 pounders. No Longer! Here are my goals:

1. Take a survival bag on the trip with me with water, gum, celery, bananas, any healthy food that can be consumed while driving.
2. Take a quick run around each pit stop, which should be many because of all the water I will be drinking!
3. No family-related-stress-eating!
4. Have fun!

What are your goals?

hopingtobehopeful
07-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Okay, I am headed over to my tracker to ADD back 1 pound. I am very sad:(
But I am still going to keep at it because someone on this website said, "What are the alternatives to not working at it? GAINING?"

I would like to think it's muscle because I've been moving a lot more. I would like to say it's water weight because my cycles are so screwed up. But, it doesn't matter. I will be fearlessly honest and say, I probably ate too much food this week! :o

Still sticking to my goals for the weekend. Have a good one every one! :D

iminhere
07-27-2007, 01:34 PM
hey Hope...that has happened to me a couple of times too...it may BE just water...but if it IS too much food...well..at least you know what to do about that!!!

still on plan!!

hopingtobehopeful
07-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Okay, I made my 7 hour-each-way-torture road trip Saturday and Sunday so no exercise but I did well on my food and water intake, so I don't feel badly about it.

Still struggling with this one pound I added back last week :mad: . I keep expecting to wake up in the morning 3 pounds lighter. My July goal was to be 190 and I'm still 193. So hopefully, that miracle will happen when I wake up tomorrow.

Hope you all are doing well and still on target. Have a great day!

txgirl
07-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Being serious for 5 days really works for me. I'm starting today - Monday.
So far I've had coffee and a Pria bar (3 pts). I never count my coffee points - I don't know why - I just never have. I know I will go to the rec center sometime today and work out. I made bean and veggie soup to eat all this week. I need something low cal to eat when I'm looking to graze - so that will do the trick because it is only 2 pts for 1-1/2 cups.

Well, I hope you all have a great day!
-Terri

Slashnl
07-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Ok, I sucked on this challenge. The weekend did me in. I admit it. I'm getting back at it today, but the weekend was not good. I didn't get exercise, unless you count the minimum walking done while shopping for school supplies (I'm NOT counting that). It was kind of a tough weekend dealing with some MIL health problem issues, so that's why it happened as it did, but that shouldn't be an excuse. It doesn't make it easier to deal with it when you're off plan! Anyway, not asking for sympathy here, just 'fessing up to what wasn't a good weekend.

hopingtobehopeful
07-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Slash - some weekends are harder than others. Hope the MIL thing is okay. I do have to say that my "bad" weekends lately are better than my "good" weekends this past winter!

This Thursday, I am having surgery and so I'm bowing out for the 5-day. Who knows, maybe I'll do great! I won't be able to have anything to eat from Weds midnight to Thursday at 6pm. I pick Thursday, 5:59pm as my wieh in this week! ;) (How much do ovaries weigh anyway?)

ShyCammie
08-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi ladies,
It's so inspiring to see all the "tough stuff" y'all did while I was vacationing and probably gaining 2lbs a week instead of losing.
So, now that I'm back, I have to admit, yesterday's exercise was NOT good. (It just plain didn't happen.) No excuses. I made choices that did not include exercise. Then, last night I ate a burger and fries, and a brownie. (We went to a children's concert and I hadn't packed the food the night before.)
So today, Saturday, and Sunday are definite exercise days. I'm doing a fitness assessment today at the gym, so I won't have to worry about walking in the heat and humidity (which wouldn't be horrible since I shower afterwards anyways). Saturday and Sunday are just going to be "getting back in the habit" days. It's important that I really focus on getting things done (beside's the laundry). I'm going to try to find ways to check in on the weekends. It's a matter of creating a new routine in my life.
TX Girl - today's the last day of your 5 day challenge. How'd it go? Any insights as to what worked for you?
Cammie