Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:13 AM   #1  

Default **Scale Panic, SOS!**

I bought my scales about a year ago. Admittedly they were cheap, but they seemed to be accurate-ish...certainly not overly complimentary anyway, when I bought them my friend's scale said I was 130lbs, MY scales said 140lbs!

Anyway, I've been using them for about a year, as have my family occasionally.

I make it a policy in general not to weigh myself on any others. But I couldn't help it...weighing on my boyfriend's scale this morning (first thing, naked etc) I was 132lbs, whereas mine say I'm 126 or 127lbs now :-(

How can I verify which ones are right? I feel so fraudulent for posting 126lbs now if I'm actually bigger than that...my boyfriend's scales weren't that expensive either admittedly.

I guess I've gone down 14lbs anyway, but what my weight IS, I'm now in doubt of.

help
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:23 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Stick to ONE scale. Though it may be off by a lb or 2 - it doesn't matter. It WILL show you how you are doing and your PROGRESS. Scales do vary. Why drive yourself nuts? If your BF scales says 132, it probably would have said 146 when you started - the same 14 pounds - GONE. That's all that counts.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:32 AM   #3  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I agree.
I use to have 3 scales that I would use to weigh myself and they would all say different things.

Just weigh yourself on one scale. Even though your weight might be a little off.... the pounds you lost will always be the same.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:38 AM   #4  
Meg

You can check scale accuracy by weighing something you know the weight of, like a 5 pound bag of flour or 14 pound box of kitty litter or something like that.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Relax! Relax! You're not any fatter because you weighed yourself on your bf's scale rather than your own scale. It doesn't really matter whether you are 126 or 132 because these are just numbers and the important thing is how you look and feel. *Your actual body is the same regardless of what the scale says!*

I had the same dodgy scale for about 12 years. I knew it was off but I figured that it doesn't really matter because all of my weight gains and weight losses have been measured on that same scale. I recently bought a new, digital scale that is pretty accurate and I've been weighing myself on both each time so that I don't accidentally mistake the new scale's numbers for a gain

Just pick a scale and stick to it, and don't fuss about a little inaccuracy.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree with the others that you should stick with one scale (but it sounds like you already knew that). Sometimes I weight myself on other people scales when I'm out of town (but I never count them).

To check the accuracy you could weight something you know the weight of like Meg said but I would suggest using a weight if you have one (like a 3 pound hand weight) because you know exactly what it weights.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I bought a digital scale a few years ago. One time, it messed up and showed me weighing about 10lbs more than I actually did. That was enough to send me on an eating journey that lasted a few years. The moral is, don't let the scale get you off track. Ditto to what everyone else says. Weight loss is weight loss.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #8  

Damn straight ladies, thank you for telling me like it is, I needed it!!

I'm silly

emily
xxx
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Emily!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote