Old 06-27-2007, 05:55 AM   #1  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Default Vegetarian Garbanzo Burgers

We had these for dinner tonight, and they passed the Tom (I-AM-A-CARNIVORE!) test!!! Even the kids ate theirs up quick-like! The recipe is from South Beach and it's a definite keeper! The chick peas were nice and roasted. Mmmm!

Serves 6

Ingredients:
2 cups canned garbanzo beans, drained
1 stalk celery, finely diced (I diced up three scallions instead - cannot stand celery!)
2 tablespoons shredded carrot
1/4 onion, minced
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
(I also put in a tablespoon of minced garlic. Next time I might try adding some Mrs. Dash as well for extra flavor.)

Instructions:
Mix all ingredients (except oil) together in a bowl. Form 6 patties. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook
until brown on each side. (I baked mine in a 200 (C) degree oven for about twenty minutes, turned them, and then baked about ten minutes more. I put a slice of Provolone on each patty with about five minutes left in the cooking time. I served them on whole wheat buns with a little smear of mayo, a dab of ketchup, baby spinach leaves, sliced onion, and sliced tomato, with kosher dill pickels on the side. Next time I will crush the beans a little before mixing them in with the other ingredients, and I may throw an egg in there to bind everything together as they fell apart a bit on turning.)

Nutritional Information:
137 calories
7 total fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono)
0 mg cholesterol
16 g carbohydrate
5 g protein
4 g fiber
262 mg sodium

Enjoy!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Kara, funny you posted this today. I was just looking for a recipe I pulled out of a magazine for chick pea patties with tsatsiki. I thought I might fix them for lunch today. But I think you blended everything together in the food processor to make the patties. I'll let you know how they turn out fixed that way.

They turned out pretty well! Here's the recipe:
1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
1 egg
2 Tbs ww flour (I used 4 RF triscuits instead)
4 scallions
dash salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano (dried)
Process all in food processor to get a thick paste. Form into 4 patties. Fry in fry pan with olive oil or cooking spray.

I ate mine with tsatsiki on top. Would also be good in a pita with lettuce and tsatsiki.
Here's the breakdown from Fitday per patty: 177 calories, 6 g fat, 25 g carbs, 7 g protein. That's using olive oil in the pan. I got this recipe from Eating Well magazine and only changed the flour to whole wheat.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 06-27-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

hmm, so what's the verdict - is it better to mush the chick peas a little, a lot or not at all? Can't wait to try these!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:31 AM   #4  
Working on healthy

I made these last night and they were a hit. Of course I tweaked a little I pulsed the whole thing in the food processor and added 1 egg just to make sure they held together (I don't trust bean burgers ). I also added some yeast flakes and garlic granules and replaced the ww flour with quinoa flour. We will definitely have these again.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

I refound this recipe today and made these for dinner. Tonight's flour was brown rice. Obviously it's just a binder so any flour works. We enjoyed them and are looking forward to the leftovers. I think I'll play with this recipe and add different seasoning next time