Old 06-26-2007, 08:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Default It stops now.

I need to come clean - with myself more than anything else. I am not trying. I'm really not. I cannot recall the last day I actually followed my plan to the tee for the entire day.

I am not down & out about this. I am happy with the fact that I have found a comfortable rhythm in which to maintain the 30lbs I have lost for a year now. I think that will really help me when I reach my goal weight to maintain it.

But the fact is I am not trying to lose right now & to correct that I need to stop pretending to myself that I am.

Thank you for letting me confess. The act stops here & now. Maybe it's ok to take a break from weight loss - but it's not ok for me to lie about it to myself. That's just not productive.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #2  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I took a break over the winter... and i lied to myself as well.

you are 100% right, it's ok to take a break and do the maintaining thing.... but we have to be aware of what we are doing.

btw for me once i knew i was taking a break I was ok with it and shortly thereafter I got back on where i needed to be and resumed losing.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #3  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Can I tell you, Lifeguard, that this REALLY resonated with me? I've done it before, and could all too easily do it again. Please remember that I am speaking only for myself, and that I have no idea whether or not this would work for anyone else, but when I start reaching for stuff I shouldn't be eating TOO OFTEN (once in a while is okay, I think) I slow myself down by taking a couple of Hoodia tablets two or three times a day for the few days it usually takes me to get back on track. I don't know if saying this is a big NO-NO here, but I've seen other products discussed, so I guess it's okay. I'm not promoting this as a WAY OF LIFE, or even as a long-term weight loss solution. But for ME, it does work to get me past those nasty if-I-ignore-it-it-won't-hurt-me days.

Good luck!

Ella
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:45 AM   #4  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

I took a 6 month break and totally lied to myself. I think it's normal to "fall off" the wagon, it's if and when you don't get back on that would become the problem. But, you're here and coming clean to yourself which is the strongest part. Congrats on coming back on the saddle. Wow, I think I have a theme today :P
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #5  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Lifeguard, you are doing the best thing, by coming clean here, and wanting to start again. Last May I went down to 250, and then little by little my plan went in the garbage, I gained the weight I lost back and more, and now I am relosing the weight I lost and trying to loose more. So it is a good thing that you reconized this , get back on plan because you can do this!!!!! cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:32 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good for you for coming clean so to speak. I think it is so vital to be brutally, brutally honest with oneself. I see nothing wrong with taking a break in actively tryint to losing weight for a bit, as long as you own up it. No, I've been on a plateau for months now and have no reason why.

The fact that you've maintained a 30 lb loss is awesome. And something to be super proud of. Good luck to you on this very long, never ending journey that we are on. Because it never stops, does it? It might change as we go along, but it's an ongoing process. I wish you continued success.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the show of support. I really, honestly have not let me weight loss to date slip, but I have not been making the effort to move down.

I will get there - but as long as I am able to learn from every stumble along this journey each one is part of the success.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

Confession is good for the soul - and the body as well sometimes! So I'll join you. Though I have continued to actively try to lose weight, I have allowed some of my former mentality to slip back in. The "one cookie won't hurt" mentality. I see thin people eating cookies all the time, after they've downed hot dogs and potato chips and whatever other garbage that's on the menu for them that day. I know when I shop for my husband (who's losing weight faster than me), that he's got pop, pork chops, hot wings, chips and dip, etc. on his list while I'm "stuck" with fruit and veggies and grains. So, I've noticed a little bit of the "how fair is that?" resentment creeping back in as well.

And, of course, I have acted on it. I haven't ever gone crazy, and I'm always within my calorie limits, but over the past week or so, I've eaten small portions of cookies, chips, cheese, and other foods not on plan for me, which only left me feeling more deprived.

So, I will join you, Lifeguard. It stops now! (Actually, I stopped yesterday - the same day as you.) I had discontinued using fitday, and I'm again taking the few minutes needed to measure and then log my food. So now, if I decide to take a bite of of something, I have to commit to logging it - a great deterrent for me.

I also went to the store and bought only the healthy food that seemed the most appealing to me. I like potato chips, but I LOVE raspberries. I'm done feeling sorry for myself. If Robin can end one of the "best days of her life" eating Kashi cereal while her daughter indulges in ice cream and not resent it because she had just enjoyed the rewards of those types of choices, I will choose to do it as well.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #9  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Good post, LaurieDawn. I guess I have to join in with you and Lifeguard. I haven't been totally off plan, but I haven't been giving it full effort, either. I can give you a list of excuses with the primary one being that I've been really busy, but that is lame. I should be able to find time for this stuff.

Anyway, kudos to both of you for being up front and honest!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #10  
returning to myself

Height: 5'6"

thank you Lifeguard...I have only been doing "just enough" ...

I need to really commit....
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Hey lifeguard,
good to see you are still around....congradulations on coming clean...its not easy. We've got an accountability thread going...come join us if you want some help staying on track
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #12  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

There are so many people out there (like me!) who don't yet have the control needed to maintain their weight if they take a break. Shoot there are weeks that I want to bang my head against the wall because I'm thinking I'm doing everything right only to have a small gain! I think it's a huge accomplishment that you've managed to keep off the 30 lbs while not actively sticking with a program you set for yourself!! You're obviously doing something right!!
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:32 AM   #13  

I lost 40lbs two summers ago, and only in the last 8 months or so I've gained back 28lbs, but during that year and a half, I maintained the loss, and took a "break"... I'm regretting it now, I wish I would have kept up with it...

No use crying over spilled milk though. Important thing is, I'm getting back on track now, and so are you!!
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote