Desserts - Bownie recipes

View Full Version : Bownie recipes

SusanSil
11-20-1999, 09:53 PM
Can someone re-post this recipe? I am in the middle of a major kitchen renovation and all my cookbooks are packed away.

I tried doing a "search" and nothing came up. I'm pretty sure I got it from this site.

I recall it contained cocoa power, applesauce, 3 egg whites, as part of the ingredients. I remember they were l point and about 80-90 calories.

THANKS! Wanted to add them to the holiday buffet (which I am helping to cook at my friend's -- since I am kitchenless!)

Susan

JaneStarr
11-21-1999, 12:15 AM
Fudgy Cocoa Brownies
1/2 c apple butter
3/4 c. sugar
3 egg whites
1/4 c. + 2 T. cocoa powder
1/4 c. + 2T. unbleached flour
1/4 c. oat bran
1 t. vanilla
1/3 c. walnuts(optional - pts do not include)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine apple butter, sugar, and egg whites and stir to mix. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Coat an 8 inch pan with nonstick spray and pour in batter and spread to even out. Bake for 23-25min. or until edges are firm and center is almost set. Cool at room temperature, cut into 16 servings and serve

Serves 16
Calories=76
fat=0.5gm
fiber=1.6gm

[This message has been edited by JaneStarr (edited 11-20-1999).]

SusanSil
11-21-1999, 01:34 AM
Dear JaneStar/Goldie:

Thanks for the quick response. The one I used to make didn't include oat bran, but I'll try this one. Thanks!

Susa

rapunzels_glory
12-21-1999, 09:35 PM
20.5 oz package light brownie mix
Cooking spray
4c raspberry lowfat frozen yogurt, softened.
1/2c chocolate graham crumbs
2c fresh raspberries

1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) Prepare brownie mix according to package directions, using a 13x9 inch baking pan covered with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 20 min. Let cool completely.
3) Spread frozed yogurt evenly over cooled brownies. Sprinkle crumbs over yogurt; cover & freeze 5 hrs or until firm. Cut into bars and top each bar with 2 tb fresh raspberries.
Yield: 16 servings
4 pts, 221 calories, 3.1g fat

Kari_P
01-08-2000, 12:03 AM
* Exported from MasterCook *

Candy Bar Brownies - 3 Points

Recipe By :JoAnna M. Lund
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bars & Brownies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup pourable Sugar Twin
1/4 cup Brown Sugar Twin
1 egg or equivalent in egg substitute
1/3 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons Land O Lakes no-fat sour cream
1 1/2 cups Bisquick reduced fat baking mix
1/4 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-by-8 inch baking dish with butter flavored cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine Sugar Twin, Brown Sugar Twin, egg, skim milk and sour cream. Add baking mix, peanuts and chocolate chips. Mix well to combine. Spread batter into prepared baking dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes. Cut into 16 bars. Serves 8 (2 each).

Serving size (2 brownies)
According to the newsletter:
Per serving: 141 Cal, 5g Fat, 4go Pr, 20g Carb, 274mg Sod, 38mg Calc, 1g Fib
Healthy Exchanges: 1 Bread, 1/4 Protein, 1/4 Fat, 1/4 Slider, 11 Opt. Cal. Diabetic: 1 Starch, 1 Fat
Weight Watcher Points: 3

Source:
"Healthy Exchanges® Food Newsletter, August 1999"
Yield:
"16 brownies"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Submitted by Effiemae on 7/29/1999 to the Healthy Exchanges Website. MC formatted by Pamela S. on 7/30/1999. Shared by Pamela S. on 1/5/2000 to the Weight Watchers Forum.
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Kari_P
01-08-2000, 12:06 AM

Chocolate Zucchini Brownies - 3 Points

Recipe By :JoAnna M. Lund with Barbara Alpert
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bars & Brownies Make-Ahead

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup pourable Sugar Twin or Sprinkle Sweet
1/2 cup Land O Lakes nonfat sour cream
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup grated unpeeled zucchini
1/4 cup (1 oz) chopped pecans

"I can imagine some people making a face or saying "Eewww" at the thought of a grated green veggie in something as lusious as a brownie, but just wait until you tast these moist and delicious confections! And just think- a serving is actually TWO brownies."

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 11-by-7-inch biscuit pan with nonstick butter flavored cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and Sugar Twin. Add sour cream, water, & vanilla extract. Mix well to combine. Fold in zucchini and pecans. Spread intoevenly into prepared biscuit pan Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Place biscuit pan on a wire rack and allow to cool. Cut into 16 bars. Makes 8 servings (2 each). Freezes well.

Serving size (2 brownies)
According to the cookbook:
Per serving: 135 Cal, 3g Fat, 4g Pro, 23g Carb, 179mg Sod, 28mg Calc, 2g Fib
Healthy Exchanges: 1 Bread, 1/2 Fat, 1/4 Vegetable, 1/4 Slider, 17 Opt. Cal.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch/Carbohydrate, 1/2 Fat
Weight Watcher Points: 3

Source:
"Dessert Every Night Cookbook, page 267"
Copyright:
"Healthy Exchanges, Inc. 1998; ISBN 0-399-14422-6"
Yield:
"16 brownies"

NOTES : Submitted by Heather on 7/30/1999 to the Healthy Exchanges Website. MC formatted by Pamela S. on 7/30/1999. Shared by Pamela S. on 1/6/2000 to the Weight Watchers Forum.
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

runner
02-20-2000, 07:06 AM
Better-For-You Brownies, Jodified

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa 2 points

1-113 gram jar Heinz Simple Goodness Prunes with Pears (this is baby food, or plain pureed prunes work too) 1

1/2 cup boiling water 0

1 teaspoon coffee grounds (instant or regular) 0

2/3 cup whole wheat flour 4

1/2 teaspoon baking powder 0

1/4 teaspoon salt 0

1 large egg 2

1 large egg white 0

1 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar 17

2 tablespoons oil 6

1 teaspoon vanilla extract 0

Total Points 32
/ 16 brownies = 2

Preheat oven to 350. Coat 9" square baking pan with cooking spray.

In medium bowl, combine cocoa, baby food, coffee and boiling water. Stir until cocoa is dissolved. Let stand until completely cool, about 10 minutes. (Have any of you ever been too impatient for instructions like this? I have. Hot ingredients cook the eggs. http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif )

Combine flour, baking powder and salt.

Scrape cooled cocoa mix into blender or food processor. Add egg, egg white, all but 2 tablespoons of the sugar, oil and vanilla. Process until smooth. (I don't know if this is really necessary - you may be able to mix it well enough by hand.) Add to flour mixture and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Pour batter into pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. (This gives it a nice crust.) Bake until brownies are firm around the edges and just set in centre, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cut into 16 squares. Enjoy! http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb/smile.gif I love these, they are moist, chocolate-y, and satisfying. I have done a million versions of these, trying to perfect them, so if you run into any problems (or an improvement!) please let me know.

If you are vegan or just want to avoid the eggs, grind 2 tablespoons flaxseed to a coarse powder in a blender or food processor. Add 1/3 cup water and blend until mixture is viscous, scraping the sides as you go. This replaces the egg, the rest of the recipe the same.

Heavily modified from a recipe in Vegetarian Times, January 2000. (I highly recommend this magazine and Veggie Life for great low-point, high-flavor food! Even if you're not Veggie! http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb/smile.gif )

[This message has been edited by runner (edited 02-19-2000).]

Sunr1se
02-20-2000, 08:11 AM
Thanks Jodi!
I was thinking, if you eliminated the sugar and used Splenda instead, total points ould be 15. That would be a way to cut them down to a point each. Dunno if it would compromise the flavor compared to the real sugar though. Well, thanks again! They sound yummy!

cub77cub
02-20-2000, 08:40 AM
Splenda doesn't taste any different than sugar..IMHO!!!! I've been substituting it in everything and the taste is great! Michele

SueC
02-20-2000, 10:01 AM
Runner - thanks for posting this recipe http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb/smile.gif!

Sunrise - Just so you know, Splenda is NOT calorie-free. It does significantly reduce calories. It weighs in at 96 calories a cup. So instead of counting 17 points for the cup of sugar, we'd have to count 2. A great improvement in the point count, but sadly, we still have to count it.

Sorry for being a fuss-budget.

Sue

New-Me
02-20-2000, 10:48 AM
Thanks so much Jodi. Will try these soon!!

Annette

Frieda Wallace
02-20-2000, 11:36 AM
Can someone here tell me where to find
Splenda? Please don't tell me I have to go
to Canada!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb/eek.gif

New-Me
02-21-2000, 05:43 AM
Freida

You can order splenda, which I did yesterday and got an e-mail saying it had been shipped today. Great service!! Am anxious to try it.
None of the stores around here have heard of it so for me it was the only way to go.
www.splenda.com (http://www.splenda.com)

Annette

Race-ya
02-26-2000, 11:01 AM
I made these brownies tonight and I have to tell you, they are wonderful! One small glitch, I used plums instead of prunes. http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb/redface.gif I bought the wrong one type of baby food. Also, I am far too lazy to use a food processor and they turned out beautifully. Well worth the effort and the points!

runner
02-26-2000, 05:08 PM
Race-Ya!

So glad you tried the recipe. And as for the plums instead of prunes, that just shows that there are many more options for this recipe than I thought! Glad you found one more. I've heard of people using baby-food jars of pureed sweet potatoes too, though I haven't tried that yet!

Runner/Jodie

Race-ya
02-27-2000, 09:35 AM
Runner -
I think I saw another thread where you were talking about something called Veggie Times. Can you give some more details about this? I think I might be a vegetarian in sheep's clothing.

runner
02-27-2000, 03:02 PM
Race-ya:

I buy two veggie mags, Vegetarian Times ( www.vegetariantimes.com (http://www.vegetariantimes.com) ) and Veggie Life ( www.veggielife.com (http://www.veggielife.com) ). I don't know that I can recommend one over the other, they are both excellent. What I love is that it's just good food, vegetarian or not! Much of it is low-Point as well, especially the Vegan recipes. My non-veg friends love eating over, which tells me a lot. http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb/smile.gif If you have any other questions, let me know.

runner/Jodie

do you run too?

[This message has been edited by runner (edited 02-27-2000).]

Race-ya
02-28-2000, 08:16 AM
Thanks Runner. Bookmarked both sites. I am working towards running again! I will let you know when I get there. Right now I am doing fast walking! (about 3 miles a day) My goal is to run a mini in May 2001. I like long range goals these days!

Kaitlyn
12-01-2000, 03:48 AM
Here's a recipe for something I have been working on... fat free brownie mix in a jar. Almost everyone I know is health conscious but are also plagued by an insatiable sweet tooth (like me)! So I'm whipping up a few batches of these, and putting them in jars and giving them away as little gifts. Hope someone else out there tries this... they're really good and fudgy (I like fudgy brownies better than cake-like).

(almost) Fat Free Brownie Mix in a Jar

In a medium bowl, combine:
1/2 cup unsifted flour
1 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup Ghiradelli powdered chocolate
1/4 cup Dutch Cocoa powder
1 Tbl. plus 1 tsp. powdered egg whites
2 Tbl. Cornstarch
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Stir together gently with a wire whisk until all ingredients are combined. Store in a sealable container.

When it comes time to bake them, here are the instructions (which I affixed to the top of the jars on an index card.)

You need: 1 8 oz. container of fat free vanilla yogurt (I like Dannon the best)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Empty dry contents into a medium bowl. Add the yogurt and stir well. Mixture will be rather thick.

Lightly spray an 8 x 8 inch pan with cooking spray, and spread the brownie mix into the pan.

Bake for 31-33 minutes, until brownies test ALMOST done.

Cool completely and enjoy!

Notes: Turbinado sugar is just like Sugar in the Raw, I think. I just like it better than granulated white stuff. It can be found, along with Ghiradelli chocolate at most grocery stores, but my favorite place to shop is Meijer's. They never are out of what I need.

Also, I say remove from over whenbrownies are almost done because they will continue to cook a bit out of the oven. The tooth pick will have a littl bit of residue on it, but nothing gooey.

Lastly, these brownies are best when totally cooled down. So resist the temptation, because it's really worth it.

Enjoy!
Kaitlyn

lighter
12-02-2000, 01:23 AM
What's the point count?

------------------

Ann P

Kaitlyn
12-02-2000, 02:58 AM
Oooops... hehe...
I don't have any WW software or point counters, because I don't follow that program. If anyone wants to run it through, that would be excellent.

JaneStarr
12-02-2000, 01:14 PM
I put it into MasterCook and this is what I came up with.

Jane

Fudgy Brownie Gift Mix In A Jar (LF) -- 2 pts

Recipe By :Kaitlin from the 3FatChicks Board
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Dry Mix
1/2 cup unsifted flour
1 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup Ghiradelli powdered chocolate
1/4 cup Dutch Cocoa powder
1 tablespoon powdered egg whites -- plus
1 teaspoon powdered egg whites
2 tablespoons Cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Extra Ingredients To Bake:
8 ounces fat free vanilla yogurt -- Dannon preferred

In a medium bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients

Package as a gift and include a recipe card which says the following:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Empty dry contents into a medium bowl. Add the yogurt and stir well. Mixture will be rather thick.

Lightly spray an 8 x 8 inch pan with cooking spray, and spread the brownie mix into the pan.

Bake for 31-33 minutes, until brownies test ALMOST done.

Cool completely and enjoy!

Also, I say remove from over when brownies are almost done because they will continue to cook a bit out of the oven. The tooth pick will have a little bit of residue on it, but nothing gooey.

Turbinado sugar is just like Sugar in the Raw, I think. I just like it better than granulated white stuff. It can be found, along with Ghiradelli chocolate at most grocery stores, but my favorite place to shop is Meijer's. They never are out of what I need.

Also, I say remove from over when brownies are almost done because they will continue to cook a bit out of the oven. The tooth pick will have a little bit of residue on it, but nothing gooey.

Lastly, these brownies are best when totally cooled down. So resist the temptation, because it's really worth it. Enjoy! Kaitlyn

Per MC assuming 12 servings:
112 cals, 1 g. fat, 1 g. fiber = 2 pts

Per serving: 112 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (4% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; trace Cholesterol; 78mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Here's a recipe for something I have been working on... fat free brownie mix in a jar. Almost everyone I know is health conscious but are also plagued by an insatiable sweet tooth (like me)! So I'm whipping up a few batches of these, and putting them in jars and giving them away as little gifts. Hope someone else out there tries this... they're really good and fudgy (I like fudgy brownies better than cake-like).
(almost) Fat Free Brownie Mix in a Jar

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

christineu
12-04-2000, 05:24 AM
Here is a link the the recipe I use and have coverted for chocolate muffins or brownies. I also included the instructions on how to make mixes ahead to keep in the cupboard or for gifts.

Enjoy,
Christine
http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum24/HTML/000210.html

monie
01-27-2001, 08:58 AM
I am looking for the measurments to make my own "No Pudge" brownies from scratch.

christineu
01-29-2001, 12:58 AM
Click on this link to the muffin/brownie receipe I post a while back- http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum24/HTML/000210.html

I even include instruction on how to make dry mixes to keep in the cupboard for those chocolate emergencies.

Christine

cassie99
05-16-2001, 12:11 AM
i had my ww meeting today they gave a wierd recipe

1 box low fat brownie mix

1 can black beans

2/3 cup water

Drain black beans well,place contents in blender until smooth,add brownie mix and water. Place in a 9 by 12 baking pan and bake according to box instructions. It counts as 3 points for a 2 by 2 piece

gtera
08-09-2002, 01:48 PM
Ok.. I'm and American living in Holland and need to know how much fiber is in a box of Betty Crocker Brownie Mix. American products are few and far between here and if you do find them, they're expensive. I'm making a dessert but I can't calculate the points because there are no fiber measurements. Could someone please tell me how much fiber is in the entire mix?

Thanks!
Tera

:stress:

lighter
09-14-2002, 04:15 PM
This is from a Betty Crocker Low Fat Fudge Brownie Mix (Sweet Rewards)

18 servings per package
Per serving:
130 calories
2.5g fat
1g fiber

You just add 2/3 cup water to the mix.

moonspinner
10-13-2002, 07:50 AM
Chocolate Chunk Brownie
serves 1
3 points
3 TBS of Betty Crocker Double Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix
Enough Water to thin into a batter

Place mix and water into a small custard bowl and microwave on high for about 30 seconds.

It tastes like a rich chocolate brownie and will only cost you 3pts.

3 TBS of mix =120 calories 3grams of fat 0 fiber

amcap74
10-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Help! Somebody recently posted a whole bunch of chocolate recipes. I printed them out and now I can find the thread on here. Hopefully the "publisher" of these recipes will see this post and be able to answer my question.

One of the recipes was for Diet Coke Brownies. It included 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix and 10-12 oz. Diet Coke (depending on consistency you like.) You could either bake in a 9x13 pan or in 24 mini muffin tins for 2 pts. each.

Well, I made these last night. I used 12 oz. Diet Coke because I like a cake like consistency. I encountered 2 problems: 1) After filling all 24 mini muffins, I still had LOTS of batter left....I feel jipped; 2) even though I sprayed the muffin tin and baked for 30 minutes, the tops came off leaving the bottoms in the tin.

The bottoms came out easy enough with a spoon and it tasted GREAT! But they didn't look very pretty for the company I was serving it to. Any ideas what might have happened? I'm guessing I should've used less diet Coke, maybe only 10 oz. and maybe should've baked a little longer to let it "set" more. ???? I'd like to know before I try it again and waste a box of mix.

Kelly_S
10-23-2004, 11:15 AM
Try using cupcake paper liners instead that is what I have done and when they cook you just peel the paper off.....So if you had more batter left over make more...don't feel jipped...you'll will have to refigure the points based on the 'brownie mix' nutritional info divided by the number of brownies you get....

wand1164
03-27-2005, 12:36 PM
This was 1 of my favorite recipes when I did the selection plan but I can't remember how much of what. It was made with jello, can of pineapple & buttermilk. I'd really appreciate it if someone posted it. Has anyone converted it to points? Thanks!

CookieInGeorgia
03-29-2005, 10:55 AM
BUTTERMILK SALAD

1 pkg strawberry jello (6oz)
1 can crushed pineapple (20oz)
2 c. buttermilk
1 c. chopped pecans
1 Cool Whip (9oz)

Combine jello with crushed pineapple and heat. Do not boil. Add the buttermilk, nuts and Cool Whip. Mix and refrigerate until congealed.

Taken from
Our Blended Heritage
First United Methodist Church
Cochran, Georgia
Miss Louise Wilder

wand1164
03-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Thank you, I actually found it last night. Can someone convert this to points please. The WW recipe is:

1 can unsweetened 20 0z crushed pineapple
1 pkg (6 oz) sugar free jello
2 cups low-fat buttermilk

The instructions are the same but no Cool Whip or nuts. I guess you could add the lower cal Cool Whip. This sounds gross but it is really good!

bsutton
03-29-2005, 10:28 PM
Tonight at our meeting someone was asking about a brownie recipe that was made out of black beans does anyone have this recipe and how many points that it is per serving? Thanks for the help

bsutton
04-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Okay I found it. I don't know why I didn't try the search bar on my computer.
Thanks for the help

2big4mybritches
04-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Here, I found this one in Mothering Magazine Online. You could prolly use unsweetened applesauce instead of oil and half the egg yolks, and limit the nuts in this to cut some cal. and fat. I wanna try this!

Black Bean Brownies

By Cathe Olson Author of Simply Natural Baby Food available at simplynaturalbooks.com
Moderator of Mothering's Good Eating! Discussion Forum

I cannot take credit for the idea of using black beans in brownies. The original recipe was from "The Brilliant Bean" by Sally and Martin Stone. However, I have modified it to use half the amount of butter, maple syrup for sugar, and grain coffee substitute instead of real coffee. Even with these changes, this is a rich, moist, fudgy brownie that is sure to satisfy your chocolate craving. Best of all, you can feel good that you are getting lots of calcium and protein from the beans and eggs. There is no flour in this recipe either for those on a low-carb or gluten-free diet.
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
4 eggs
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 cups or 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, pureed
2 1/2 tablespoons instant grain coffee substitute (like Cafix or Inka)
1 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, almonds, or other nut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil or butter an 8-inch baking pan. Melt chocolate and butter or oil together in small saucepan. In mixing bowl, beat eggs and maple syrup together. Add melted chocolate mixture and beat well. Beat in bean puree and coffee substitute. Fold in nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until set. If you press your finger in the middle, it should make a little dent. Don't overbake. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares.

Yield: 16

Note: Puree beans in food processor or blender. If using food processor, chop nuts first and set them aside. Then puree beans. That way, you only have to wash the food processor once.

wand1164
06-15-2005, 07:49 PM
I'll post this 1 just for a reference

Black Bean Brownies

1 Box Betty Crocker Low Fat Fudge Brownie Mix
1 (15 oz.) Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1 Cup Water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Puree the beans and water together until smooth. Stir into the brownie mix until combined. Spray a 9X13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 25-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 2 inches from the side of the pan comes out almost clean. Cool completely and then cut into 24 pieces. Don't worry, you can't taste the beans. This brownie is more like a dense cake like brownie.

Serves: 24
Per Serving: 102 Calories; 2g Fat (15.2% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 131mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 0 Lean Meat. WWP: 2

teacher56
06-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Thank you, I am going to try these this weekend.

dlr50
11-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Does anyone know the recipe to make your own "no pudge" brownie mix rather than buying it?

amorgan
12-09-2005, 04:05 PM
I have this one posted someone a while back but have never tried them

1-POINT BROWNIE

3/4 C flour
1/4C plus 2 T cocoa powder
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C Splenda
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 C unsweetened applesauce
3 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, Splenda, baking soda, and salt and mix well. Stir in applesauce, egg whites, and vanilla. Spray an 8" square baking pan with cooking spray. Spread batter evenly in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 min. or until the edges are firm and the center almost set.

16 servings, 1 point each

These are cakey brownies rather than fudgy brownies. I think they are as good as the No Pudge mix, and they are only 1 point instead of 2 points. I usually cut these into 8 servings for a nice-sized 2 point brownie.

Tip: I found unsweetened applesauce in single-serving containers. That way I don't have to open a big jar of applesauce when I want to make these.

christineu
12-28-2005, 08:16 PM
I reposted my old recipe for brownie or muffins that could be made a mix also- the original post was so old that it doesn't always come up on searches anymore. Here is the link: Christine's Chocolate Muffins...or Brownies Mix (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1054583#post1054583)

boo613
01-01-2006, 10:40 PM
These were cookies - I don't remember if I got them through a Weight Watcher meeting or a womans magazine (the weekly ones at the checkout register) but I lost my recipe and I miss these.

Do these ingredients look familiar to anyone?

Lofat Brownie Mix
Bran (Oat or Wheat)
Orange Juice

I think these were pretty much the only ingredients but I can't remember the quantities of the bran and the orange juice (yes, I know what you're thinking .... a really adventurous/desperate woman would experiment!!!! Aaahhh there lies the rub!!! I'm not that adventurous - desperate maybe, but not adventurous ;)

Can you help me out please?

Betty (wish I had a snappy tag line too!)

AnnieRu2
01-02-2006, 02:59 PM
I know what recipe you are talking about and I even have the original article taped into my WW spiral notebook. It came from Woman's World magazine in 1999.

High Fiber Chocolate Cookies

Makes 24 cookies
91 Calories
2 grams Protein
1 gram fat
9 mg cholestrol
19 grams carbs
58 grams sodium
3 grams fiber
1 point each

1 box (15.1 oz.) low fat fudge brownie mix
2 1/2 cups unprocessed wheat bran
1 cup calcium and vitamin-C enriched orange juice

Preheat oven to 375. Coat 2 baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
Combine all 3 ingredients. Drop by 2 TBS 2 inches apart.
Bake 12 minutes (centers will be soft)

I found it easier to put into a mini muffin tin. I think they actually taste better the next day. They seem to be moister.

AnnieRu2
01-02-2006, 02:59 PM
I know what recipe you are talking about and I even have the original article taped into my WW spiral notebook. It came from Woman's World magazine in 1999.

High Fiber Chocolate Cookies

Makes 24 cookies
91 Calories
2 grams Protein
1 gram fat
9 mg cholestrol
19 grams carbs
58 grams sodium
3 grams fiber
1 point each

1 box (15.1 oz.) low fat fudge brownie mix
2 1/2 cups unprocessed wheat bran
1 cup calcium and vitamin-C enriched orange juice

Preheat oven to 375. Coat 2 baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
Combine all 3 ingredients. Drop by 2 TBS 2 inches apart.
Bake 12 minutes (centers will be soft)

I found it easier to put into a mini muffin tin. I think they actually taste better the next day. They seem to be moister.

boo613
01-02-2006, 04:32 PM
You and I read the same article!!!! Thanks so much - I loved these and have missed them. Don't know why I thought it was Weight Watchers maybe just the WW connection

kaleidoscope*sky
01-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Just had to say that I mixed up Christine's Brownie Mix recipe, using half white, half whole wheat pastry flour, and Whey Low sugar. I tried the "No Pudge" method of mircowaving a single serving in a small bowl (2 tablespoons mix, 1 TBSP plain NF yogurt, a little vanilla), and didn't find it to be very chocolate tasting and quite cakelike as well. Any suggestions on improving the chocolate flavor (more cocoa?), or making more moist (more yogurt)? No Pudge is very good, but expensive, and I http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/tulip-bar/sliderbug/lb/154/140/145/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)'m a do-it-myself person. Thanks!

sharebear
01-23-2006, 11:37 PM
Hi Wanda,

I found a similar recipe, and it had the points listed. Here it is:

20 oz can crushed pineapple in own juice
2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 large pkg orange sugar free jello (orange is not my favorite, so my family and I substitute cherry or strawberry. They are all good.)
8 oz fat free cool whip

Place pineapple with juice in saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from
heat, add jello and stir until dissolved. Stir in buttermilk and let cool about
20 to 25 min. If you do not let it cool, the cool whip will melt. Fold in cool
whip. Do not stir too much, only until blended well. Pour into a 9 x 13 glass
dish and chill until firm. Cut into 12 squares.

serving size = 1 square

recipe source:dottisweightlosszone.com

christineu
01-27-2006, 01:43 PM
I've never used Whey Low- I don't even like using Splenda much in baking (and I refuse to use NutriSweet, sacarin, and other 'chemical' sweeteners in baking because some of them change chemically with heat). I have used dry whey powder (Bob's Red Mill- extra sweet grade) to substitute for part of the surgar in some recipes- you can even use powdered milk that way (process it so it powder-like first so it dissolves easier). You can usually replace up to 1/3 the white sugar, depending on the function of the sugar in the recipe of course. You may need some real sugar or add in some fat- looking at the bakegood recipes I found using WheyLow, they all seemed to have normal amounts of fat. Also, when you substitute whole wheat flour, its not 1 cup=1cup...its more 1 cup all purpose flour= 1 cup- 1Tablespoon whole wheat flour...and usually never more then 1/2 of the total amount of all purpose flour should be substituted.

As for getting a chewy, brownie-like- instead of more cake like- make sure you aren't overmixing...which can be easy to do with only making one serving at a time. Also, remember that it will continue to bake when you remove it from the oven- regular or microwave- so take it out before its completely done and let it sit to finish off. Another thing you might want to try is substituting some of the flour with oat flour. You can make oat flour by processing oatmeal (old fashion or quick cook) in a food processor until its flour-like. I use it a lot of my baking to add texture, moisture & demension to the overall taste. I process up 5-6 pounds at a time and just keep it on hand. You can also go the extra step to toast the oats in the oven first to give the oats a more nutty flavor to your bakegoods without the extra calories & fat that real nuts can add. Also, if you do want to add nuts to low fat/low cal bakegoods, I find I get more flavor if I toast them first and then chop them fairly small and sprinkle ontop of the bakegoods before baking. Occasionaly I might add a couple tablespoons finely chopped to the batter for something like banana nut bread type stuff.

You can easily add more cocoa powder to the brownies- the strength will varry from manufacture to manufacture and even batch to batch. I usually buy the Hersey's cocoa powder for general baking, though it is nice to get some of the top quality ones if you can. It is so hard for me- a life-time chocoholic- to admitt I can't eat chocolate anymore. I still love it psychologically, but my tummy just doesn't tolerate it any more and lets me know when I over do it. I would love to play around with some of the new ideas I have for the brownies and some other chocolate recipes I have, but its so hard when I can't taste them personally...and my family gets tired of being ginea pigs after a couple batches.

One of the hardest things with using yogurt in baking is the difference in consistancey/water from brand to brand. I buy the fat free, no sugar added, plain yogurt at WalMart. It tends to be drier then other brands I've used- it happens to the be the cheapest and one of the few I can have allergy-wise. I know if I freeze it, it will be more watery and I will sometime pour the water/whey off before adding it in or if the recipe has other liquid ingrediants, I'll cut back on some of the others slightly. The yogurt you use may be a lot more watery, so you might try a little less next time; which would also make it less cake like.

Hope this helps...