General chatter - What are you reading?

View Full Version : What are you reading?

ANOther
06-24-2007, 01:55 PM
I just started Majestic Descending by Mitchell Graham, the ads make it sound like a nifty thriller.

Before that:

The Kookaburra Gambit by Claire McNab: 1 part light thriller / 2 parts lesbian rom-com (I'm not, btw): nothing special

Amen Corner by Rick Shefchik: murder at the Masters, and a Minneapolis cop/amateur golfer is called upon to discreetly investigate

Get n healthy
06-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Right now i am reading Naked by David Sedaris, okay, but not great.

I am looking forward to getting started on Everything's Eventual by Stephen King, the movie 1408 is out in theaters, i have to read it before i see the movie. So i am excited to start that book.

A book that i did read recently and really like was Dry by Augusten Burrows. Its sort of the part II of his Running with Scissors, which is also an awesome movie with Gwenyth Paltrow, i highly recommend.

walking2lose
06-24-2007, 06:31 PM
I love David Sedaris, but I haven't read Naked.

I just finished Glass Castles - memoir - very quick read, and I really liked it.

Is that Augusten Burrows Running with Scissors the story that is supposed to be true, but the family disputes it? I'd like to read it.

Get n healthy
06-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Yeah, the augusten burrows book is the one that is a CRAZY memoir. It is hysterical. Oh you have to read it. I am a reading freak and it is in my top 5 reads of all time. You dont really appreciate it until you finish it and then you think, wow, that was nuts. It is so crazy, it HAS TO be true, no one could make that stuff up. ha ha ha ha ha. It is great though. Read it, then watch the movie. The movie leaves ALOT out.

Naked is okay, i really like Sedaris, but i think coming off of an Augusten Burrows book, it was just not a good book to follow a Burrows with. Does that make sense? Like i shouldnt have gone from one comedy to another. I should have gone into a murder mystery or something and read naked with a fresh mind. So to speak.

I will check out Glass Castles. I usually love memoirs.

walking2lose
06-24-2007, 08:25 PM
If you read Glass Castles, let me know if you hate the mom as much as I did!

I know what you mean about 2 comedies back to back. I'll check out the Burrows book... been meaning to read it now for awhile

almostheaven
06-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Well, as King has changed his writing style, as Koontz can't seem to keep up with my reading and I've run out of his books until he gets more out, I've started on Pattersons series with Det. Alex Cross. I'm on The Wolf right now, and have his latest hard cover Cross sitting here waiting for me. Got another couple chapters to go on The Wolf first.

lalique
06-24-2007, 10:44 PM
I read mostly romance novels... I don't have much time for pleasure reading, since I have my nose in a textbook most of the time.

My favorite author is Luann Mclane.

BlueToBlue
06-25-2007, 02:55 AM
I'm currently re-reading the entire Harry Potter series in preparation for the finall book coming out this July. I'm on book five now; I've put all other reading on hold until I finish.

Two books I read recently, both of which I enjoyed were:
- Two Minute Rule by Robert Crais
- Promise Me by Harlan Coben (part of the Myron Bolitar series, it's probably best to start with some of the earlier books in the series).

I love action/suspense/mysteries and both Crais and Coben can do no wrong.

nicolen
06-25-2007, 03:29 AM
I'm also rereading Harry Potter before the new book comes out. I've finished the first two and am going to make a start on Prisoner of Azkaban tonight.

I tend to read a couple of things at once, so I'm also rereading JD Robb's Conspiracy in Death and am dipping in and out of Lord of the Rings - I love LOTR, but I can't read more than about 10 pages at a time before I need to have a break.

OnceUponADrive
06-25-2007, 04:46 AM
I'm a Koontz fan, myself. Just finished Watchers and By The Light of The Moon. Loved both of them. Trying to decide what to read next, maybe a girly Jane Green...

Mummy_Tummy
06-25-2007, 05:19 AM
Currently plowing through Omnibus, a compilation of two Stephen King short story collections. It's huge but then, it's Stephen King! He's a master story teller. I love the way he just takes his time and the story (or seemingly unrelated stories) travel in slow, lazy concentric circles until they all meld together. I must admit, I prefer his novels to his shorts and some of his shorts are more like novellas anyway!

Droolingly anticipating the last Harry Potter. I'll be the geek there at the bookstore at midnight, husband grumbling at my side. For the last book, we had all these drunks from the pubs walking by and saying things like "get a life" to us. I thought "yeah, read a book, drunkard" but I didn't shout it back because there were alot of kids about and I didn't want to start a brawl!

Get n healthy
06-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Hey almostheaven, i like Pattersons Cross series too. They are my old stand by when i cant find anything to read, i can always rely on that.

I am going to read the 6th harry potter book before 7 comes out. I dont know if i will read every word, but definately some chapters need revisiting. i think i read it too quickly and missed some significant meanings and hidden hints.

sfj
06-25-2007, 10:20 AM
I am reading two books right now.

The Historian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Historian) by Elizabeth Kostova

and Eaters of the Dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eaters_of_the_dead) by Michael Crichton.

alinnell
06-25-2007, 10:48 AM
I just finished Pigtopia. Odd book, but good. DD recommended it to me.

Next up is the new one by Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns. I loved the Kite Runner and look forward to this. I'll be taking it to Hawaii with me for reading on the plane.

I have I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou) and The Autobiography of Malcom X (Alex Haley) on my night stand. I may bring one with me to Hawaii in case I finish Hosseini's book.

Barbara~Harlen Coben is my absolute favorite! however I was kind of disappointed with his last book (not a Myron Bolitar book).

I read Running With Scissors. I can't say I enjoyed it. If it were true, that family he lived with is truly weird to say the least.

FrouFrou
06-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Night...Elie Wiesel & The Lost Painting...Jonathan Harr

LindseyLouWho
06-26-2007, 01:58 AM
I just finished reading The Glass Castle (all last evening) and I liked it, although I'm slightly skeptical as to the accuracy and truth to it all. If everything is true, it's amazing to think about a family living that way. It was a very quick read and enjoyable. As far as hating the mother... yes, I hated her for the most part because of her immaturity and irresponsibility. At least her father sort of redeemed himself in the end.

I bought my boyfriend Running with Scissors for his birthday, but I don't think he's picked it up yet. I may have to borrow it and read it next.

BlueToBlue
06-26-2007, 02:01 AM
alinnell - Is that "The Woods"? I haven't read that one yet, but eventually I'll get around to it. I think my favorite Harlen Coben book is "Gone for Good." Loved loved loved :love: that one.

I read "Running with Scissors" and also didn't like it that much. It left me feeling queasy. Although many of the stories were funny, some were disgusting, and some were disturbing. I think because I volunteered for a rape crisis hotline for years, he glossed over the child abuse and neglect too blithely for me (and, to be honest, I've seen enough of it in real life that I don't want to read about it anymore). I did like his second book, "Dry," however, much better.

Casandra
06-26-2007, 05:50 AM
I like reading fantasy novels like The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. I must say though, her sister Alice Borchardt is an excellent writer as well! She has a Trilogy, i believe, about the Tales of Guinevere. Its an excellent twist on the story of King Arthur and Camelot, where Merlin is the bad guy!

Very original, and well written. She has two books out so far. "The Dragon Queen" and "The Raven Warrior".

I have been anxiously awaiting the third in the series!

alinnell
06-26-2007, 10:47 AM
alinnell - Is that "The Woods"? I haven't read that one yet, but eventually I'll get around to it. I think my favorite Harlen Coben book is "Gone for Good." Loved loved loved :love: that one.

I read "Running with Scissors" and also didn't like it that much. It left me feeling queasy. Although many of the stories were funny, some were disgusting, and some were disturbing. I think because I volunteered for a rape crisis hotline for years, he glossed over the child abuse and neglect too blithely for me (and, to be honest, I've seen enough of it in real life that I don't want to read about it anymore). I did like his second book, "Dry," however, much better.

Yes, it is "The Woods." Definitely not his best work (IMO). My favorite one was "Tell No One."

Queasy--that is the perfect way to describe "Running With Scissors!"

WinterStarzz
06-26-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm currently re-reading Harry Potter (5) for the movie. I already re-read 6 for the book. Going backwards, I guess... For whatever weird reason.

A book I recently read was "The next thing on my list." It was really good. Can't think of the author. I would highly recommend that one.

mrsaugie
06-26-2007, 07:04 PM
right now i am reading Treasure of Khan by Clive Cussler. followed by probably Harry Potter 7

and if you want to count the General Class studdy guide for my ham license up grade weither or not i accutally do that is a different story though. see how it goes.

almostheaven
06-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Hey almostheaven, i like Pattersons Cross series too. They are my old stand by when i cant find anything to read, i can always rely on that.
That's pretty much where I'm at..."when I can't find anything to read". LOL Patterson is ok, for a stand by. But he's not my usual. And I'm just ascairt to try something new. There's a lot of authors out there I haven't read, but I'm nuts. See, if I start something, I HAVE to finish it, no matter how baaaaaaaaaaaad it may be. ::sigh:: So I'm afraid of trying out a new horror/sci fi author just to find I absolutely hate it after the first couple of chapters and I'm stuck. I re-read a lot of King and Koontz. I'm going to TRY King's "Cell". Hubby assures me its very similar to his old writing style, but it was supposed to be a change from his usual genre. Its laying here, but I'm hitting "Cross" first. And we're both patiently awaiting the 3rd in Koontz's "Frankenstein" series...due out last year! Grrrrrrrrrr

OnceUponADrive
06-26-2007, 09:01 PM
I just started a new one today..."Lost and Found" by Jacqueline Sheehan. The story is centered around a woman who finds a dog. I absolutely LOVED Marley and Me (I'm obviously an animal lover) so I thought I'd try another dog-themed book to keep me feeling lighthearted. I have to say, though after reading Koontz for the past month I'm really finding the writing in this book to be lacking. It just seems kind of random and very general. I'm sure the story will be good, though.

On a side note, I'm waiting for the next Christopher Paolini novel to come out. I love Eragon and Eldest (although the movie was absolutely horrible). I also have never read the Harry Potter books. I know, it's blasphemy! I'd like to start them next!

NurseMichelle
06-27-2007, 12:45 AM
Wow, I read completely differently from you guys!!! I'm a chick lit queen! Any easy, beachy read is for me! My favorite authoress is Jackie Collins~I started reading her when I snuck my mom's copy of one of her early books and got that funny feeling reading about sex and all that! LOL, I just never outgrew her, so anyways, she has a NEW book, "Drop Dead Beautiful" which I would have picked up no matter what! But~ it's a Lucky Santangelo book~who I adore! I do hate to buy a book and devour it in a few days, I'd love for it to last, but I am eating it up! Any other Jackie fans?

I have "The Kite Runner" on hold waiting for me at the library.

srmb60
06-27-2007, 01:08 AM
My first attempt at summer chick lit wasn't worth much. The Secret Lives Of Doctors' Wives by Ann Major ... pfst. I'm glad it was borrowed and I can give it back. However, I did read it through. I wanted to know who dun it.

srmb60
06-27-2007, 01:18 AM
Has anyone read a novel by Christopher Priest. He wrote the novel on which they based the movie The Prestige.

alinnell
06-27-2007, 11:06 AM
In the genre of chick lit, I do enjoy some of the English chick lit books I've read. I don't know why, but they appeal to me more than American authors. I can't remember any authors or titles, though.

athenac
06-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Right now I'm reading Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind and listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Spunkster5
06-27-2007, 02:33 PM
i've made a promise to myself that this summer for every "junk" (which are the best) book i read, that i will also read a book that teaches me something. This is the list of things i have read over the past few weeks:

1. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - love it!
2. The Witch of Portabello by Paulo Coelho - loved it!
3. One for the money by Janet Evanovich - loved it!
4. Taoism by ?? - was ok, but it taught me something haha
5. Two for the dough by Janet Evanovich - loving it so far!

once i started reading the janet evanovich books thats when i told myself i had to read soemthing that educated me as well b/c there are 10 books in her stephanie plum series!

Rosario
06-27-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm working on the VC Andrews books...

I finished the Logan Family already, and now I'm working on the Cutlers and the Landrys.

I should be reading something more mentally stimulating, but I'll save that for when I start school. :)

mariposita
06-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Just finished and enjoyed:

Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman (it's similar to The Wide Sargasso Sea in that it tells the back story(ies) of Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.)

Grave Sight and Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris. These were short and quick!

Now I'm reading The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl. I'm enjoying that too.

Get n healthy
06-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Oh my goodness, i forgot about all the sex scenes in Running With Scissors. How oh how could i forget those? (probably blocked them out) But that is right. To anyone that i recommended Running with Scissors to, i still love the book but if you are offended easily by some questionable sex scenes, better to skip it. Even if you aren't, be prepared for a lot of detail and its not the "good kind" of detail either. The boy is 13 and his male "lover" is 30...it is offensive but it is a true story. That is not really what the book is about, I was more offended at his mothers behavior than the lover that was far too old to be having sex with the 13 yo, but it does go on in the writers life, so he wrote about it. But all in all, i still categorize this as a comedy. I laughed more than i cried so to speak.

p.s. Lindsey, your bf will probably NOT like the book. I think a hetero male will really freak out to some of the sex scenes. He will probably like the movie though. My dh would have FREAKED OUT to the book, the movie was VERY tame in comparison. DH LOVED the movie.

alinnell
06-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Oh my goodness, i forgot about all the sex scenes in Running With Scissors. How oh how could i forget those? (probably blocked them out) But that is right. To anyone that i recommended Running with Scissors to, i still love the book but if you are offended easily by some questionable sex scenes, better to skip it. Even if you aren't, be prepared for a lot of detail and its not the "good kind" of detail either. The boy is 13 and his male "lover" is 30...it is offensive but it is a true story. That is not really what the book is about, I was more offended at his mothers behavior than the lover that was far too old to be having sex with the 13 yo, but it does go on in the writers life, so he wrote about it. But all in all, i still categorize this as a comedy. I laughed more than i cried so to speak.

p.s. Lindsey, your bf will probably NOT like the book. I think a hetero male will really freak out to some of the sex scenes. He will probably like the movie though. My dh would have FREAKED OUT to the book, the movie was VERY tame in comparison. DH LOVED the movie.

I don't think I laughed once. I never saw it as a comedy. I thought everyone in the book had some serious mental illness, except perhaps the author, but being with all those wackos made him a wacko of sorts also.

Get n healthy
06-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Allison, really? You didnt find running with scissors even slightly funny? I thought it was hysterical. But i guess i do consider myself to have a bit of a twisted sense of humor.

I think there is a fine line in what *you* consider mental illness, *i* consider quirky or eccentric.

See, i am even laughing now at some of the scenes in that book. Do i think it was funny for the 30 yo man to have sex with a 13 yo boy? No, that grossed me out. BUT i did think it was awesomely hilarious for a psychiatrist to have a masterbation room. For some teenagers to knock the ceiling of the kitchen out so they could have "some breathing room"...i dont know, i just loved it.

I guess to sum it up, if you have a sick/twisted sense of humor, you will love it. If you have a straight laced sense of humor, avoid this book like the pleague.

alinnell
06-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Okay, so maybe they weren't mentally ill, but definitely weird! It was a year or more ago that I read the book, so I don't remember a lot of particulars, but the thing with the doctor and his poop inspection--like palm reading only poop reading, that was just weird. I mean, who fishes out their poop to inspect it (or request that his kids do it for him?).
I wonder how his own kids turned out.
I guess I just don't have the right sense of humor to have enjoyed the book.

Get n healthy
06-28-2007, 04:17 PM
allison, in the movie, at the end, it gives details about how the kids turned out. Although i dont know how *stable* they are...there is no way they are stable coming from that much dysfunction. I cant remember now what it said, but i think they all turned out with respectable jobs and normal lives...which surprised me. Although, i know augusten ended up a RAGING alcoholic, from his follow up book Dry.

And i agree the poop thing was nuts. That is what made me decide this guy was really living this and not making it up...you just cant make something that far fetched up. LOL

alinnell
06-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Oh, I don't know.....people have great imaginations. How else do you think sci fi fantasy genres come about... Also, what about the books by James Frey (A Million Little Pieces and the follow up--can't remember the name)? I loved those books and frankly they were a whole lot more believable than Augustin Burrow's book (I haven't read Dry yet). And yet now we're led to believe that Frey's books were all made up. I don't know, they still rang true to me (I guess because we have family members with drug and alcohol problems and his descriptions were so correct IMO).

NotTheCheat
06-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Just finished and enjoyed:
Grave Sight and Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris. These were short and quick!

I just started Grave Sight after finishing the Sookie/Southern Vampire series. Those were so much fun I figured I wanted to check out her others. It is actually my gym book (I get the large print versions so I can read on the elliptical).

techwife
06-28-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm reading A Bride Most Begrudging. My next door neighbor gave it to me and said it was good...she majored in English in college, so I consider her an expert. It seems good so far. Seems to have good prose and a good voice to it. To me, voice is the most important part of a story. A bad story can be great with a good voice, but a good story can be very painful to read with a bad voice...if you know what I mean... So, my NDN knows how much I hate a bad voice, so I don't think she would give me a book by a cheesy author.

So far so good... :D

rubberlegs
06-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Am reading On the Road - Kerouac. :)

BlueToBlue
06-29-2007, 03:38 AM
I'm with alinnell on Running With Scissors--the book just wan't funny for me. For one thing, they weren't sex scenes, they were rape scenes. I don't believe that it is possible for a 13-year old boy to consent to sex with a 30-year old. Sex that is not consensual is rape. The whole poop inspection thing was just gross. And I was really bothered by the daughter killing the cat. That was awful.

And the problem is that Burroughs wrote about it all like it supposed to be funny. Like was funny that a 30-year old was repeatly raping a 13-year old, like it was funny that the daughter killed the cat. There were some things that were genuinely funny, but the other stuff really overwhelmed the rest of the book for me. I felt sick to my stomach when I finished it. But I'm the minority--I know a lot of people thought the book was hilarious.

A book that I did find to be laugh-out-loud funny is Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life (http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Ordinary-Life-Krouse-Rosenthal/dp/1400080460/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0861384-0744723?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183102953&sr=1-1) by Amy Rosenthal. No rape scenes or cat killing.

Also, I find anything by Tim Cahill (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/104-0861384-0744723?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=tim+cahill&Go.x=6&Go.y=4) to be laugh-out-loud funny, especially Road Fever (http://www.amazon.com/Road-Fever-Tim-Cahill/dp/0552771562/ref=sr_1_7/104-0861384-0744723?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183103110&sr=1-7). I've read it probaby 10 times and I still laugh every time.

srmb60
06-29-2007, 09:29 AM
I snicked a Barbara Delinsky from work yesterday. More Than Friends.
I read Three Wishes years ago and bawled my eyes out. I never do that with a book.

lizziness
06-29-2007, 10:16 AM
I am also re-reading Harry Potter-I'm almost done with book 3. I am rereading because I realized when I read number 6 finally that i had forgotten everything that had happened before. They are fairly quick and easy reads though, I'm sure I'll be done in time to read number 7.

I thought the movie Running with Scissors was hilarious - but I do have an evil sense of what is funny (the house of yes for instance). Now I think I should get the book.

Before I got sucked into Harry Potter, I started reading an Amy Tan book called The Kitchen God's Wife - what I read so far is great, and multiple times I've laughed out loud already.

The Alchemist was great, I definitely think everyone should read that book.

I mostly read sci-fi/fantasy and I am dying waiting for the next George RR Martin book in his Fire and Ice series. I think I'll be waiting another year though. :(

mariposita
06-29-2007, 11:05 AM
I just started Grave Sight after finishing the Sookie/Southern Vampire series. Those were so much fun I figured I wanted to check out her others. It is actually my gym book (I get the large print versions so I can read on the elliptical).

These were the first books I've found by Harris and I liked the sort of dour tone they have. There is another one in the series coming out in the fall. My branch library doesn't have any other of her books :tantrum:, but I was able to reserve a couple others through the county system.

kateconfessional
06-29-2007, 11:20 AM
i've just started Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris, and re-reading (because I love it so much) Interpreter of Maladies - Jhumpa Lahiri.

i really want to read The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, gotta get my hands on it!

mariposita
06-29-2007, 11:42 AM
i really want to read The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, gotta get my hands on it!

Oh yeah, that's a wonderful book!

Glory87
06-29-2007, 11:47 AM
I just finished reading Bright Lights Big *** (http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Lights-Big-***-Self-Indulgent/dp/0451221257/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1661852-6857657?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183131731&sr=8-1) by Jen Lancaster. I absolutely loved her first book, Bitter is the New Black (http://www.amazon.com/Bitter-New-Black-Condescending-Self-Centered/dp/B000O17CZG/ref=pd_sim_b_1/002-1661852-6857657?ie=UTF8&qid=1183131731&sr=8-1). Bright Lights was pretty good, but not as funny as the first book.

I am currently in a non fiction mode. I am reading Mayflower: A Story of Courage Community and War (http://www.amazon.com/Mayflower-Story-Courage-Community-War/dp/0143111973/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1661852-6857657?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183131828&sr=1-1) and One Perfect Day: The Selling of the American Wedding (http://www.amazon.com/One-Perfect-Day-Selling-American/dp/1594200882/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1661852-6857657?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183131897&sr=1-1) - they are both pretty good!

Next up - horror! I have Stephen King's book Blaze (http://www.amazon.com/Blaze-Novel-Richard-Bachman/dp/141655484X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1661852-6857657?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183131943&sr=1-1) and his son's book, Heart Shaped Box (http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Shaped-Box-Novel-Joe-Hill/dp/0061147931/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1661852-6857657?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183131990&sr=1-1). I still in the queue at the library for Rethinking Thin (http://www.amazon.com/Rethinking-Thin-Science-Loss-Realities/dp/0374103984/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1661852-6857657?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183132026&sr=1-1), hopefully I will get it soon so I can participate in the discussions in the Maintainer's forum.

ANOther
07-05-2007, 04:12 PM
I finished Majestic Descending: it wasn't as good as I expected, the second half anyway, I was kind of expecting more chases (hey, I like Dan Brown's stuff especially Deception Point), and the writer gives the heroine a grisly backstory which ended up having NOTHING to do with the main story (it probably would have been too much to expect that the backstory would connect with the plot, but then why bother with the backstory?) :blah:

Now I'm starting on Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann, about a flock of sheep solving the murder of their shepherd, who used to read books to them every night. That sounds cute