South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 06:02 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Phase I Beachers - Week beginning June 24

This thread is for new folks, old folks restarting and anybody working on Phase I. Post your questions, concerns and helpful hints in here.

(Remember to join us on the Daily Chat too. There's more to life than dieting; it just doesn't feel that way sometimes. )
Old 06-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

Well I've cleared out my fridge, cleared out my pantry of all non SBD friendly foods. and I begin phase 1 tommorrow(Mon. Morning).

This is take 2 for me, I did SBD for 6 months in 2004. I posted here a few weeks ago, preping myself to start phase 1. I did not have a start date then.

I live in rural India, and need to travel 2 1/2 hours one way to Pune, which is the biggest city where I can get lowfat dairy and tofu(f/f is non existant). So I'm stocked up for the most part, and ready to roll! The peanut butter I bought had sugar, so I will roast and grind my own in small batches.

A few questions, I can't find red/yellow capsicum on phase 1 or phase 2 list, can I have them on phase 1? Also ditto for squash?

kitty
Old 06-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Nice to see you back and posting with us, Kitty!

Capiscum is called red or yellow peppers on Phase I and are a definite yes for Phase I. The only squash allowed on Phase I are summer squash like zucchini, crookneck or spaghetti. I realize you may have problems finding some North American foods in India but am sure we can figure out substitutes.

Good for you to prepare so far ahead for this! Be sure to check in daily.

(Going to add capiscum and aubergine to the food lists. Everyone is not American.)
Old 06-24-2007, 11:19 AM   #4  

Great! There is a squash here called Dhoodi Bhopla it'a a long squash with edible flat seeds, larger than zukes though the consistancy of Zukes sort of....
I think I'll eat those. I bought a few zukes while in Pune but they are so expensive, and considered exotic, while dhoodi bhoplas are grown locally and are "light " like zukes. What do you think? kitty
Old 06-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #5  

Height: 5'9

I'm going to be starting tomorrow as well Kitty, good luck!!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:46 AM   #6  

I just got back from trader joes...thought I would share my list, maybe there will be a meal/snack idea that someone hasnt tried

Veggies:
snap peas
red onions
sliced mushrooms
cucumber
cherry tomatos
romaine lettuce
celery
garbanzo beans
black beans
refried nonfat black beans with jalepenos
broccoli florets
green beans
edemame
eggplant hummus
mild red salsa

Nuts:
almonds
cashews
natural peanut butter

dairy:
laughing cow light garlic flavor
75% reduced fat cabot cheddar cheese
low fat cottage cheese
greek nonfat plain yogurt

protein:
frozen cooked shrimp
turkey bacon
frozen precooked chicken
eggs

Misc:
snap pea crisps
no sugar added chai mix
trader joes cilantro salad dressing <1gm sugar per serving and its sooo good!
jarred minced garlic

Old 06-25-2007, 05:41 AM   #7  

Well, this is week 2 on P1 for me. Had a bit of a slip over the weekend - had a sausage roll. And a pasty. And a strawberry flan. But on the upside, I felt physically ill after eating it, soam not even tempted to do it again. I think the problem was that I'd had salad for lunch every day, and I was getting bored. So this week is the first week I start working from home (eek!!!) I toddled down to the library and picked up a slow cooker (crockpot) cookbook, and have planned some more interesting lunches. Especially as it's chucking it down outside, and rain is not conductive to eating vast amounts of salad.

And I've insired my very skeptical mate to try SBD, and she's coming over for a big 'cookoff' together, as she just isn't confidenet enough to leave to ready meals behind. So that will be really fun. Looking forward to week 2, am really stating to feel a difference. Obviously not getting smaller, with being 15 weeks pregnant, but people have commented that my face is thinner, and OH has said my tummy pouch is now more baby than mummy. I feel a lot better in myself as well. So I'm pleased!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 208/204/165

Height: 5'7"

So I haven't posted since last week and I kind of fell off the wagon. DH and I are getting ready to move (we close on our first house on Thursday!!!) and I am coordinating a major meeting at work for Wednesday, needless to say I have been a little stressed. I haven't made it to the gym and I didn't eat well over the weekend. I am starting phase 1 over, because let's face it, I did really well the first week but never made it all the way through....GRRR!

The good thing is that I haven't gained any weight and my shape has been changing a bit so three days off haven't done too much damage....now I just have to make it through this week.....
Old 06-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #9  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazio2008 View Post
Misc:
snap pea crisps

hate to be the party pooper I am but those are PUFFED and FRIED...

very much NOT SBD legal in any phase.

that being said I LOVE trader Joes and welcome to the beach.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:22 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 133/133/115

Height: 5'3

Hello there, everyone - I just wanted to welcome the new beachers and give them some encouragement. I started Phase I for the first time last monday and can't believe a) how painless it's been to follow the plan and b) that I can actually see a discernable difference in my body. It truly is amazing how your body can change after only a week of following the plan. You know those folds of skin (and fat) that some of us have between our upper arms and chest? I've ALWAYS had them, even when I was extremely thin, but they are literally melting away. I'm really in shock. So to everyone who is beginning today, know that sticking with the plan can result in really fast (and motivating) changes. Good luck, newbies, and thanks to the "regulars" who have been there with ideas, answers and support!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 238/Tick/185

Height: 5' 8"

Happy Monday newbies!!! You totally can do this! The results are amazing and you just have to train your body...I know I know easier said then done!!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #12  

Thanks for the welcome! Day one went pretty painless. I just hope I can create a variety on the limited availability of SBD foods I can get locally.
Which is salads, beans, vegies and chicken, and I have canned tuna and eggs too.

available locally: tomatoes, cukes, spinach,califlower, green beans, cabbage, eggs, the squash I mentioned earlier today, whole chickens...(I'll clean, cook and freeze the dark meat till later, phase 2) legumes of most shapes and sizes. I bought from Pune(3 hours away) : lowfat processed cheese and skim milk, olive oil, a few packs of mushrooms and canned tuna.

If anything jumps out to yal as something creative to do with the ingredients I have, please share! I really don't want to get bored the first few days!
Good night all! kitty
Old 06-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #13  

Nessa: thanks for the heads up on those, I had no idea! Guess I should have read the bag, I remember someone posting it on another message board or something. To my dad they will go, he will eat them! again, thanks, I had no clue!

Erica and missmess: thanks for the encouragement!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 02:53 PM   #14  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

one thing i've learned here is READ THE INGREDIENTS AND the NUTRITION LABELS
Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #15  
Banishing the Belly

S/C/G: 180/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Phase 1 Beachers,

Indigal, you have all those lovely Indian spices to make the veggies taste WONDERFUL! At least to me, who has to go to an Indian restaurant to get them. I found some Tikka Masala mix in a jar and basted it on some very nice steamed cauliflower during phase 1. And red/yellow capiscum with onions and chicken would make fantastic fajitas. But stop me, I'm drooling now.

Welcome Fazio! Your list sounds great and much better than mine was. I couldn't give up full-fat cheeses during Phase 1 or now in Phase 2 either. It sounds like you're going to do great.

Lisa and Oberon, we all have slips. I did very well the first 12 days of Phase 1 but then began to feel resentful and deprived at the end. I fell off the wagon and landed with a big thud the last night of Phase 1 when I pretty much gorged on the low-sugar granola I had bought for my first Phase 2 breakfast. Just get back on track right away and keep moving forward. Its the cumulative progress that will matter in the end.

Erica, isn't it great when the rolls and folds seem to disappear? It's like magic to watch it evolve. I haven't seen much as I've only lost 6 lbs., but with the daily workouts I've been doing, I can see some nice shoulders poking out of the fat and it makes me so happy! Congrats to you for sticking with it!

All of you are giving your bodies such a gift. We all draw inspiration from your success and are ready to share strength if you should struggle. Keep rolling one good day into another and it will yield such satisfying results. YAY, YOU!
Closed Thread