Old 06-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #1  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Default Curse you, soy sauce!!

The scale says I am up 1.6 pounds from yesterday. I know that cannot be. I only ate 1067 yesterday. I did 40 minutes on the elliptical. What could be the cause??

SOY SAUCE!

I know better than to weigh myself after eating soy sauce, but I could not help it. I even used the low-sodium option.

And still, my feet and fingers look like my skin is going to burst.

Off to drink MORE water
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think you have figured out the cause and the solution.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #3  
Willpower Again!

S/C/G: 152/150/125

Height: 5-7....BMI 125.6! yikes

OMG! I know exactly how you feel! I am a complete songe when it comes to soy sauc and the problem is that I love sushi soI have to have it at least once a week!

Yes the soy sauce is a problem but I will say one thing....my regular waiter at my sushi place as told me that the low sodium has more sodium than you would think and that all americans hahaha do low sodium not even realizing the regular is much better for you....so I always go with the regular!

Try it and see what happens! lol
I feel your pain girl! I really do! keep a smile though ....I always say that when you can laugh at the bloating it goes away much faster! lol
Shoocraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoocraze View Post
Yes the soy sauce is a problem but I will say one thing....my regular waiter at my sushi place as told me that the low sodium has more sodium than you would think and that all americans hahaha do low sodium not even realizing the regular is much better for you....so I always go with the regular!
How could full sodium soy sauce be "much better for you" The difference is that typically low sodium soy sauce has 40% LESS sodium than regular soy sauce!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #5  
Willpower Again!

S/C/G: 152/150/125

Height: 5-7....BMI 125.6! yikes

That's what he said........I have no idea.......he said that we 'Americans' as he puts it think that the Low Sodium is better for us and it's not....something to look into though...ey?
Shoocraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:58 PM   #6  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
That's what he said........I have no idea.......he said that we 'Americans' as he puts it think that the Low Sodium is better for us and it's not....something to look into though...ey?
Yes, I encourage you to look into this by simply reading the bottles the next time you eat there (or by doing an internet search) and you will find that there is no truth to his biased statement, which just sounds like an odd gross generalization and is inaccurate to boot.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

SoulBliss,

I've seen that some lower-quality low sodium soy sauces are loaded with sweeteners or other artificial stuff (not the higher-quality ones though). Maybe that's behind what the waiter was saying?
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #8  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsysunqueen View Post
SoulBliss,

I've seen that some lower-quality low sodium soy sauces are loaded with sweeteners or other artificial stuff (not the higher-quality ones though). Maybe that's behind what the waiter was saying?
That's immediately what I thought. Either that, or maybe people use a higher portion of the low-sodium to get it tasting as salty, so it ends up being the same or higher because of the bigger portion size?

Just wild conjecture here, though.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:30 PM   #9  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsysunqueen View Post
SoulBliss,I've seen that some lower-quality low sodium soy sauces are loaded with sweeteners or other artificial stuff (not the higher-quality ones though). Maybe that's behind what the waiter was saying?
Hmmm...

All I know is that a minuscule amount of sweetener added to a condiment which is sparingly used wouldn't make it automatically unhealthy, so it doesn't seem likely that he meant that.

Most people don't regard artificial ingredients as "unhealthy" either, so I doubt he meant that. Hopefully a sushi place isn't using the low-quality soy sauce and reduced sodium soy sauces to begin with, right?

Who knows what he meant I'd ask him what he meant by that statement, both about "Americans" and the soy sauce, personally!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I always buy low sodium soy sauce and I only buy soy sauce that has the following ingredients:

Water, soybeans, wheat, & salt. If they add a bit of alcohol to it to preserve freshness that's okay too. I won't buy it if it has any other ingredients in it; which means no Kikkoman (that's the only kind I've ever seen in restaurants too.)

Onthetee~ Drink lots of water and you'll be okay in a day or two! Just ignore the scale inbetween now and then. I have the same problem when I eat Thai food (fish sauce is really salty too.)

From what I understand traditionally, in Japan, sushi is not eaten with soy sauce anyway. The restaurants make their own sauce and it's only used for the nigiri sushi, not for rolls. Perhaps the waiter should be making fun of "Americans" for using soy sauce as a condiment (versus as a cooking ingredient.) Or perhaps he should not poke fun at those who spend their money at his place of employment! Okay, off my box now...
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:57 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 150/129/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Maybe he was talking about light soy sauce (Usukuchi) which is light in color but is actually a lot saltier.
swirlybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:07 AM   #12  
Finding My Bliss

Default Usukuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlybee View Post
Maybe he was talking about light soy sauce (Usukuchi) which is light in color but is actually a lot saltier.
Possibly, but in the context of server to customer in a Sushi eatery, that doesn't make sense either because Usukuchi is usually used in cooking, is not a common sauce to use and is not customarily on tables in restaurants (or in most "American" homes).
Old 06-25-2007, 05:31 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 150/129/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
Possibly, but in the context of server to customer in a Sushi eatery, that doesn't make sense either because Usukuchi is usually used in cooking, is not a common sauce to use and is not customarily on tables in restaurants (or in most "American" homes).
I brought it up because my Japanese fiance made the mistake of thinking that light soy sauce = lower sodium. When we were out in the Japanese market, I told him I wanted to get soy sauce with lower sodium and he got the Usukuchi. After tasting it, I asked him if he was sure it was less sodium cuz it was uber salty. He said "yeah, it says light in the bottle" or something to that effect and so I was thinking that maybe the waiter made the same mistake.
swirlybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #14  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlybee View Post
I brought it up because my Japanese fiance made the mistake of thinking that light soy sauce = lower sodium. When we were out in the Japanese market, I told him I wanted to get soy sauce with lower sodium and he got the Usukuchi. After tasting it, I asked him if he was sure it was less sodium cuz it was uber salty. He said "yeah, it says light in the bottle" or something to that effect and so I was thinking that maybe the waiter made the same mistake.
He sounds like my DH! Adorable, but not always focused, often lacking in attention to detail.

Usukuchi is "light" in color and is used for dishes where the darker color of other soy sauces is not desired. It is actually higher in sodium than other soy sauces.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

I do notice on La Choy that the Light has more calories than the Regular. Don't know why...
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote