Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #1  

Default New How to lose weight prior to surgery

Hi, I need to know how you all have lost weight prior to surgery? What protein powder is the best and where to get it? I am from southern Maine and will have surgery at Beth Israel Boston MA at the end of summer. Thanks. Janice
jcg3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Hi Janice,

I am preop right now too and I had to get my BMI to 60 or below prior to surgery. I am almost there right now. I was 83 pounds above where I needed to be and as of today I am 25.5 pounds away. I tried with all my heart to diet and exericse never cheating and I only lost 19 pounds in 6 months so I talked to my Dr. about it and I decided to do the Optifast diet for 12 weeks to take some of the weight off. I have lost 57 pounds since April 16th with that. It is only drinking 4 shakes a day plus one of their soups and one of their bars. It is hard but it is working for me. I hope you are able to find something that works for you real soon.

hugs,
Annie
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:50 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I didn't have to lose weight before surgery but my friend did and she went on a supervised liquid diet.

What kind of surgery are you having?
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:35 AM   #4  

I am having gastric bypass. in the Fall. What is Opti fast? You have done so well to loose over 80 lbs good for you. How do I subcribe to this this thread I cannot find anything to click on? Janice
Old 06-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

I had to lose 10% of my excess weight prior to surgery at Brigham & Women's in Boston. I was told to do two protein shakes and one small high-protein, low-carb meal a day. I used EAS Myoplex Lite for my protein drinks after trying several and deciding that was the one I liked best. I got it at Vitamin Shoppe but I think GNC also carries it. When shopping for a protein shake, the important things to look for are grams of protein (high is good), grams of carbs (low is good), total calories (up to 200 is standard I think). The kind of protein they use, isolate versus ?? also matters but I forget which is which!!!

JMO but all the pre-mixed protein drinks tasted worse than drinking paint so I bought samples of different protein shakes and experimented to find brands and flavors I liked best.

PS - I you click "go advanced" as the posting option, there is a drop-down near the bottom for thread subscription, which defaults to "do not subscribe".
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #6  

thanks very helpful
Old 06-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

hi jcg!!! nice to meet you. have you discussed some options with your docs at Beth Israel? they might have some ideas.

i'm a nectar protein fan, but EAS was pretty good as well. whatever you choose, remember this - you're loosing weight to have surgery, NOT as the answer for the rest of your life. so it really doesn't matter HOW you take it off right now. OptiFast works great for some people. but they're all quite strict.

it's worth the effort. oh, and my pre-surgery weight loss was a byproduct of having my sleep apnea corrected [a long story - i was VERY ill before the surgery, and once the sleep apnea was corrected, the weight literally FELL off of me].SO, DON'T GO BY ME!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #8  

thank you so much. Where do I get the nectar? You have done incredible loosing weight. Good for you. That gives me hope.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:03 AM   #9  

You can get Nectar at Vitamin Shoppe (and online). If the store doesn't have the flavor you want they will order it in. Vitamin Shoppe will also take it back if you try it and don't like it.

Jiffy turned me on to Nectar when I first started and I do like it do. It is more like a fruit drink and I enjoy it when I am tired of all the milk-based "heavier" shakes. Also, Nectar makes individual "to-go" packets in a couple of the flavors and I ALWAYS bring a couple with me when I fly as they are very easy to drop into a bottle of water and airport food is the worst!!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:23 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

nectar has to-go packets???: where did you find them, Kier??? i go to the vitamin shoppe in ummm. route 46 east past totowa - west paterson i think it is.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #11  

I got my "to-go" packs from a WLS website called bariatriceating.com but I'm pretty sure that other sites have it to. I think they call it "Grab n' Go" and it comes in lemonade, iced tea and peach.

Enjoy