Old 06-23-2007, 09:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 124KG/115.5KG/75KG

Height: 168cm

Unhappy Please Help

I need to lose a whole person off my body and it's all so overwhelming where do I start?
jiggleybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi and welcome to 3FC. You've already made a start. You came here!!! A great, motivating, supportive and friendly place full of good advice and people.

As far as where to start other then that, well I think THE most important place is in the brain. Are you ready for this? Are you ready to work at losing weight? Are you ready to give up the high calorie/high quantity of food in order to GAIN a better, fitter, healthier and HAPPIER you. Once you make the DECISION to no longer be fat, I mean really, really make that DECISION, the rest falls into place.

I always thought that I wanted to be thin, well I did - I just wasn't willing to work at it. And then some 20 years later - I made that DECISION. I decided once and for all that I no longer wanted to live my life being miserable. Settling for second best, when first was WELL within my reach.

I started by emptying out my home of all junk. ALL. I set some very strict beginning rules. No junk at all - even in moderation at the beginning. I knew eventually I could have an indulgence every now and then, and I do, though rarely. If ever I go over my calories for the day - it's on the healtly stuff.

I stock my home with nutritious healthy foods. Tons of fresh vegetables. Lots of lean proteins like chicken breasts, fish, fat free yogurt. I start off my day with high fiber cereal and skim milk.

I count calories as that is a way for me to set limits for myself and be held accountable. Fitday.com is a good online calorie counter. I eat every 2 1/2 hours or so, so that I am never hungry. Good healthy foods that keep me satisfied. No garbage. The more garbage I ate - the more I wanted. I was pleasantly surprised that the cravings practically ceased when I completely elminated the junk.

I am also a huge believer in planning, planning and then planning some more. I NEED to kmow what's on the menu for the whole day and the week. It really keeps me on track. Much harder to veer off of a good plan.

I also added exercise into my life. Slowly at first. I think I walked 15 mins. 4 or 5x a week. And I slowly increased as I went along. Exercise is a MUST.

I also kept a journal and wrote in all the many reasons for wanting to lose weight. I would read it often and add to when I had cravings. It was and remains very valuable to me. I also keep a weekly log of my weigh-ins in there.

The first few weeks were tough. You MUST stick to it though NO MATTER WHAT. It does get loads easier as you start to see results, feel better and the cravings diminish.

I have lost 1 person and 1/2 practically. So trust me - it's doable. I don't miss any of the food - AT ALL. I have never, ever been happier. Or healthier. You CAN do this. WITHOUT A DOUBT. Losing the weight was the best DECISION I've ever made in my life. So, getting back to the original question and just to reiterate - that's where you start. By making the decision. I wish you tons and tons of good luck. I look forward to hearing from you and hearing about your progress.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #3  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Could not have said it better myself. I also know what's it's like to need to lose a person. Heck depending on the people I've lost two people. Did it the same way Robin is telling you up above.

This is a great place to start and finish with lots of help in between.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #4  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

with all the good info here!
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

It starts with the long term commitment. I was 39 and felt 50. I thought "I want to be fitter at 50 than when I turn 40". A long term goal.

I started more slowly, in other ways. At first, all I did was bring my lunches and snacks to work -- rather than eating pizza or mozzarella sticks for lunch and snacks from a vending machine -- and paid more attention to portions. After losing about 12 pounds in the first month (starting at nearly 300 pounds), I started calorie counting, and now focus on eating healthier foods.

WELCOME!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #6  

I have started and stopped so many times I lost track many years ago. One of the things that has really made a difference for me this time (and I trust will continue to make a difference) is positive affirmations. It sounds quite New Age-y, I know, but it helps me. For example, when I consider going back to my fast food habit, I say, "I don't eat that type of food anymore" - even though I had had it only a few days before when I first said it. Or when life gets busy, "I find time to exercise every day because it's a priority for me," etc. Like everyone has said, the most important thing is to make that decision. Then, at least for me, to continually reiterate those decisions to myself.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #7  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

I'm in total agreement with the responses you've already received, and have just one thing to add.

Where do you start? You start right here with TODAY. With this MINUTE. The longterm can seem so overwhelming that you almost talk yourself out of it before you ever begin. So start right here, right now. Worry about today, and save tomorrow for tomorrow. You may even have to bring it down to a smaller time frame than today....maybe this AFTERNOON, this HOUR, or even this MINUTE. What ever you have to focus on to get through this moment, do it. You won't regret it.
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #8  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi , and welcome to 3FC!!!
I think this is the best place to come to become a healthier person and lose weight. There are lots of great people who are great examples and inspirations.
The only person who can make you want to do this is you, there are going to be days you are not going to want to do it the first few months, but you are going to have to talk yourself into it, and not beat yourself up if you fall off the wagon, you just need to accept your mistake and get yourself back on the plan. I have alot to loose, but I believe I can do it, and if I can do it , and the others here can do it, so can you. On the web you can find lots of information, and places to begin. I use fitday.com to count my calories, and exercise, and it is working. There are days I need to push myself, to do this, but I think being a healthier person, having a body that I feel good about is more important than not doing this and gaining the weight back.
So I wish you luck on this weight loss, and know that you are not alone , I hope you continue to post here, and am sure you can do it.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:55 PM   #9  

You can do it!! Just take it one day, and one pound at a time!
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote