Old 06-22-2007, 08:05 PM   #1  

Unhappy Nature's Own Wheat Bread...

isn't available where I live. I'm so disappointed!

Does anyone know of a high fiber bread (that I could count 2 slices as one starch) that's available in Wisconsin?
WITeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #2  

Height: 5'2"

Hi Teresa,
I am also from Wisconsin and unfortunately I have not found a high fiber bread that qualifies 2 slices - 1 starch which is sold here. When I started and was on red with lites, and had 3 starches I was searching for such a bread. Now I am on gold with lites and I only have 2 starches. At this stage of the process, I really have to separate my starches (breakfast and lunch almost never at dinner) and use the lowest calorie choices for starches in order to continue to lose. I wish I had known that when I started so that is why I am passing along the information to you.
Best of luck with your journey....
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #3  
LAWL Salt Police

Wonder makes a lite bread that is suitable for the program, but i think it still counts as 1 slice = 1 starch..

sorry...

Can you ask your grocer to carry the natures own?
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #4  

Thanks for the starch advice Lynn. That makes sense. I'm on purple w/ lites, so I get 2 starches also.

Thanks Dan, I guess I'll just have to make due with the lite breads available to me. I've checked with Nature's Own directly, and this is the response I got...

June 22, 2007

Control ID: 29175

Thank you for contacting us about our Nature's Own Double Fiber Wheat
bread. We appreciate your interest in this product and I wish I could
tell you that it is available in your area, but, unfortunately, it's not.
Our products are currently available in the Southeast, Southwest (New
Mexico), and mid-Atlantic states. Wisconsin is not yet in our market
area.

Because of the freshness and softness of our breads, we do not ship them.
For that reason, we do not accept orders to ship them to other parts of
the country.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us. Our market territory is
expanding every year and I hope that one day you'll be able to find our
baked foods in your local stores.
WITeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #5  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

that sucks! i'm from SD and will be moving back there next year and since i've been in NC, i've been buying that bread. it's really good!
i'll be sad when i move and can't find it anymore. guess, i'll have to use my starches elsewhere. maybe by then they'll have made it to the midwestern states!
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #6  
Started LAWL 5/21/07

S/C/G: 266.5/256.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi there! I asked my cousin (who is a counselor at a COD) regarding this bread topic, because it's such a big deal to me to eat a sandwich with 2 slices of bread (and of course I only want to count it as 1 starch). She said that the prerequisite for 1 starch is that it needs to be roughly 50-65 calories total. So, we'd need to find a bread that is roughly 25 calories/slice (regardless of the fiber content) for 2 slices to count as 1 starch. I hope that helps. (And if anyone finds one, please let me know!!)
Sarrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:02 PM   #7  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Sara Lee Delightful Breads (white and wheat) is 40-45 cals per slice and each slice has 2G of fiber.

Also, some of the the flatout breads have lots of fiber......you can find locations/stores, but I've seen these at Super Walmart.
http://www.flatoutbread.com/movie.html
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Before I found the double fiber bread I always used (and still do) the 4" whole wheat pitas by Toufayan. They come to the grocery store frozen and are usually stored by the deli. I just split them horizontally and they are great for tuna melts and open-faced veggie burgers, but also for sandwiches.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 283.6/262.4/175

Height: 5'9

I asked my COD if I could count the Natures Own Lite Wheat as 2 slices per starch and she looked at me as if I was crazy and said she didn't know of any bread that counted that way (she's a bit of a hard as*). It's 40 cal per slice - that's the lowest I've been able to find anywhere. Which bread are you using as 2 slices per starch? I would love to be able to have an actual sandwich!!!
FatGalnAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #10  

I'm using the Nature's Own Double Fiber Wheat Bread. I e-mailed the LA Dietician to specifically ask, so tell her to contact the nutritionist on your behalf. Here's part of the e-mail... (the slushy reference is Joni's recipe that's posted in the recipe threads)

Thank you for contacting us. You can count the Cherry Lemonade Super-Slushie recipe as 1 Fruit exchange. Also, 2 slices of Nature's Own Double Fiber Wheat Bread = 1 Starch.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #11  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Cassi - I just bought some Toufayan Pita Low Carb bread and 1 loaf is
130 calories
2.5 g fat
580 mg sodium (LAWL won't like that part)
16g carbs
9g fiber
11 g protein

Do you think LAWL would consider the entire pita as 1 starch based on the high fiber, protein, etc? or am I dreaming?
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:40 PM   #12  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Also, you might want to ask your grocery store manager if he/she will order a specific type of bread for you. My grocery store, (it is call Shnuck's) will order anything for me, from sea food to cookies. It may be worth checking into. Good luck
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #13  

Joni - I submitted your question to the dietician and will let you know when I know (probably Wed.)
Old 06-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #14  

For Joni...

Thank you for submitting your question to our Nutrition Department.

We do not recommend the Toufayan Pita “Low Carb bread” or any other form of low carb bread as they have not been designed for use with our program. For optimal nutrition, encourage you to choose nutrient dense, complex carbohydrates such as whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, oatmeal, baked potato, sweet potato, whole grain crackers, peas/corn, barley, etc. Be sure to space starches exchanges throughout the day for a balanced and consistent intake.

We will forward a copy of this email message to your center so that they may further assist you with your program.

We wish you continued success with your program.

Sincerely,
The Nutrition Department
Old 06-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #15  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Okay, here is my take on the bread issue. According to the Insulin Resistance Diet book and my sister's dietician, dietary fiber is not digestable. Therefore, when counting carbs, it is okay to subtract the amount of dietary fiber grams from the amount of carbs. This is why, I am assuming, that the LAWL dietician will allow 2 slices of Nature's Own double fiber. Let me break it down for you:

Nature's Own- 50 calories per slice, 13 carbs, 5 g. of fiber. 13 c - 5 f = 8 carbs. There are 4 cal in 1 carb, so subtract 50 cal from 20 cal (5 from our fiber x 4 cals each) and you get 30 cal per slice. This, to me, is why it is okay to eat 2 slices, you are still really only getting 60 calories.

Now, for those of us who cannot get Nature's Own, lets break down Wonder bread: There are 40 calories in a slice, 10 carbs, 2.5 grams dietary fiber. 10 c - 2.5 F = 7.5 carbs. 40 cal - 10 (2.5 x 4) = 30. Two slices equals 60 calories. I say, let them eat bread!

There may be some holes in my theory, however I have done quite a bit of research online. If anyone has any other insight, I would love to hear it.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote