South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:38 AM   #1  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

Default picnics!

So, summer is here and for many people, that means outdoor festivals, trips to the beach, days at the lake, and general outside fun. What are your favorite places to go for picnics and what types of food do you like to bring?

This summer will be the first where I'll be able to go to the beach with any regularity, so that's exciting. I grew up 5-6 hours from the beach and now, once I figure out public transportation, I can be at my favorite beach within an hour or so! Also, Boston has all kinds of outdoor events like free movies and concerts. Tomorrow I'm packing a picnic for my boyfriend and I to go to see a free movie on the river (which is why I'm looking for ideas.. haha!).

My favorite picnic foods are now all banished from my diet, so I tried out some roasted chickpeas today since they're so portable and my boyfriend loves them. I went a little overboard on the garlic, but I like them! Much better than popcorn for a movie. I'm thinking about making some stuffed mushrooms because they're easy to grab and go, as well as being one of my favorite foods in general.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:02 AM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...stuffed mushrooms! They are so incredibly good! Have you tried a veggie antipasto? You'd need a fork, but I make that every Saturday for my lunch to go.

Kara
Old 06-22-2007, 06:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

The girls and I love to picnic in the park, and even in the back yard on nice days. I like to roll up baked chicken strips in romaine lettuce with a tiny bit of Ranch dressing. I will also sometimes roll up some roasted chickpeas and red pepper strips in a lettuce leaf, too, or just have raw veggies with hummus. I also like to pack some fresh fruit, especially grapes.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:52 AM   #4  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I just love "simply naked" pita chips with bruchetta and it's portable and easy to portion out "for the road". I have found a lot of different kinds of jarred bruchettas that are 2 or less sugars.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:38 AM   #5  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i have a great pasta salad... everyone loves it... more veggies than pasta and you need a plate and fork but if you want i can figure out how i make it.. at least give you the ingredients... LOL i never measure...

we are not much for picnics or such... we are bbq at the house folks.. chicken on the grill.... roasted veggies... that sort of thing.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #6  
Allie

I love pasta salad but whole wheat pasta and I are not friends. I never measure either with anything.... and rarely just flat out use a recipe. It's almost a fault....

My family always did BBQs and hauled a little grill everywhere. I don't think city officials would be too happy if I set up a grill in the middle of the part, sadly.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:18 AM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Allie, how was your picnic? What did you pack?

Kara
Old 06-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #8  
Allie

It would have been nice if the weather wasn't so menopausal! Cold and hot flashes! Plus it started drizzling a few times, but other than that it was fun. There's no film next week but after that, I think this will be our new free Friday night date. :P

I brought these really yummy breadsticks that were completely whole grain and only 40 calories each. I had them plain and made some cheese dip with goat cheese and chives for my boyfriend. I also made stuffed portabello mushrooms with spinach and crab for me and a little bit of goatcheese for him. To snack on during the movie, I brought garlic roasted chickpeas and for dessert I brought blueberries, plums, and apples.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #9  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Great date night. The food sounds yummy. Glad you had a great time.
Closed Thread