Whole Foods Lifestyle - What's in your CSA box this week?

View Full Version : What's in your CSA box this week?

Suzanne 3FC
06-20-2007, 07:19 PM
CSA - Community Supported Agriculture - You buy shares in a farm, and get a box of produce every week. Your box will vary depending on what's in season.
For more information, go to http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

================================

I just received sugar snap peas, green beans, cucumbers, summer squash, greens, red head lettuce, a huge bundle of rosemary, and gooseberries! Everything is organic :)

I know some of you do this, what did you get?

mariposita
06-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Nuthin! (Seriously, my CSA switched to dryland farming methods last year, making the growing season really late :snail:, more or less the end of June through the beginning of November. I am anxiously waiting for my first box, but it is interesting to hear what other people are getting, depending on where they are. It sounds like you got a lovely box. I love gooseberries!

zenor77
06-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Wednesday is our CSA "veggie day" as well. It makes the middle of the week more exciting!

Today our box contained:

Celery
Carrots
Snow Peas
Baby Red Onions
A Very Small Broccoflower
Cauliflower
Zucchini
Green Leaf Lettuce
Red Leaf Lettuce
Butter Lettuce
Savoy Cabbage
Strawberries

Everything in ours is organic too.

bargoo
06-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks for reminding me , I used to get this when I lived in another community and could not locate it when I moved I remember we just called it SHARE, I checked on CSA after seeing your post , there is a pick up location less than a mile from me.Thanks!

hidingtazz
06-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Is $500/year about average?

mals1
06-21-2007, 02:20 PM

I see ours is $400 for a growing season of June-September. Ouch...Years ago we belonged to one in Colorado. I thought we paid $300...

SoulBliss
06-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks for reminding me , I used to get this when I lived in another community and could not locate it when I moved I remember we just called it SHARE, I checked on CSA after seeing your post , there is a pick up location less than a mile from me.Thanks!

Where I live, there was a program called "SHARE" which was a discounted food program but not a farm support program.

zenor77
06-21-2007, 02:30 PM

Ours is $672 for the entire growing season, April through December. It's actually less than I was spending at the farmer's market here anyway. We eat A LOT of veggies.

LindaT
06-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Suzanne, being that you are another old maid like me, :p :lol: do you find this cost effective? I am worried about getting too much or things I cannot stand and having it spoil.

bargoo
06-21-2007, 02:57 PM
soulbliss, I think you are right about SHARE ,you had to agree to do volunteer work and it was $14 a week.This quite a while ago. I realize CSA is not the same , but the benefits are similar.

bargoo
06-21-2007, 03:01 PM
LindaT I see you are in San Jose,too, well, I am actually in Saratoga. I live alone and would punch anybody's lights out if that called me an old maid.I haven't started CSA yet but I will share with someone what I cannot use.

junebug41
06-21-2007, 03:14 PM
-black rasberries
-green beans
-broccoli
-squash
-more squash
-yet more squash
-zucchini
-cucumber
-white onion
-yellow onion
-tomato
-lettuce

Oh, almost forgot about the eggs!

LindaT
06-21-2007, 03:15 PM
LindaT I see you are in San Jose,too, well, I am actually in Saratoga. I live alone and would punch anybody's lights out if that called me an old maid.I haven't started CSA yet but I will share with someone what I cannot use.

hehehe Suzanne cannot reach me all the way here!

Spinymouse
06-27-2007, 12:32 AM
onions
chives
scallions
lettuce (2 kinds)
chard
strawberries
heirloom broccoli
purple potatoes
carrots
radishes
garlic scapes
dill

Just saw this topic today! Thursday is my pickup day so I'll post an update in a couple of days! I absolutely love doing the CSA thing! You eat differently with a CSA that is for sure!
I have got to tell you all that I had a beet left over from the previous week. I had seen Rachael Ray on TV at a friend's house - making crab cakes using potatoes as a binder. I thought it sounded good and I got some fresh crab meat. I used the purple potatoes, since that is what was in the bag - and the beet with it (as well as onions, garlic scapes, spices) and I had the most brilliantly bright purple crab cakes!!!! Really - they were wonderful!!

phantastica
06-27-2007, 11:03 AM
My mom and I thought about going in on a CSA share, splitting the box, but we didn't get to it this year. They're an awesome program! We did SHARE a while back too, and that's a good program. Back then it was called Fair Share.

I'm envious now!

mandalinn82
06-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Tomatoes (either cherry or red slicers)
Apricots
Onions
Potatoes
Chard
Summer Squash
Garlic
Parsley
Beans
Sweet Corn

SOOOOOOOOOOO excited about the first of the tomatoes. Our particular CSA grows 20 different tomato varieties regularly, and over 100 in a test plot. Loves it.

zenor77
06-28-2007, 01:22 AM
This week we got:

Celery
Carrots
Snow Peas
Baby Red Onions
A Small Broccoflower
Cauliflower
Zucchini
Green Leaf Lettuce
Red Leaf Lettuce
Butter Lettuce
Cabbage
Kale
Strawberries

mandalinn82~ You are so lucky that you already have tomatoes! I can't wait for the first ripe tomato of the summer!

Spinymouse
06-30-2007, 01:28 PM
This time it was:
2 kinds of lettuce
potatoes
carrots
arugula
2 kinds of basil
teensy apricots
purple pole beans
yellow tomato
bok choy
purple onions
unidentifiable red leafy thing

Someone asked if it's too much stuff for an old maid -- well being one of those, I think it is too much stuff IF you think of it as just having some vegetables to have with dinner. But this has changed my entire way of eating. Instead of thinking what I want to eat and going out to buy the ingredients, I look at what I have and think of what I can make with it -- kind of a reverse way of menu planning. I put arugula in a potato casserole. I'm planning a moroccan vegetable dish that I have never made before, because it will use up the beans and the apricots and the carrots. I think it's great fun. Luckily I am not following any regimented diet plan so I can use all the stuff I get.

SoulBliss
07-10-2007, 07:04 PM
This is my CSA:

http://www.bewiseranch.com/csa.htm

mtest39
07-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks to this thread, I looked into my local CSA today. They won't deliver to me because I live on the wrong side of town, but I can pick it up a mile or two from where I work. It will be sooooo much cheaper than buying organic produce at Wild Oats and it's local. I'm so excited. I am going to tour their farm and get signed up for next year.

SoulBliss
07-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Mtest39, that is great news! :D

ennay
07-27-2007, 11:41 AM
ohhh hadnt seen this thread before

lettuce
zucchini
cucumbers
candy sweet onions
green beans
cabbage
basil
blueberries
peaches
and I think a pepper.

tomatoes arent ripe in oregon yet

ennay
07-27-2007, 11:46 AM

Mine is..$288 for a June- October CSA - I know there are year round ones here, but in oregon year round means a LOT of lettuce and greens for several months.

mariposita
07-28-2007, 01:44 AM
purple beans
green beans
sugar snap peas
kale
flat-leaf parsley
zucchini
patty pan squash
cabbage
broccoli
a ginormous outer space-like kohlrabi
beets

Spinymouse
07-30-2007, 01:38 PM
strawberries, strawberries, strawberries.....
I will chant "I love my CSA" but the only bad thing I can say is....TOO MANY strawberries. I don't like strawberries. I don't want one strawberry cell anywhere near my mouth. The people I know that I give them to are starting to get sick of strawberries. I wish those strawberries would just turn into a gas and disappear.
This week there were TWO boxes of those little red monsters.

lavidasofa
07-31-2007, 09:06 AM
This is what I received :) ON stands for Ontario, which is where I live. I find the lettuce heads are HUGE these past few months.

ON Green Leaf Lettuce
1lb ON Potato
ON Zucchini
ON Black Kale
1lb ON Baby Bok Choy
ON Cabbage
1lb Yellow Onion
Avocado
1lb Red Plums
Cantelope
3 Peaches
2 Gala Apples

WaterRat
07-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Spinymouse - I'm betting you could pass those strawberries on to someone, most people love strawberries. :lol:

We don't subscribe to a CSA, but between our own garden, the U-pick farm and shopping at the local organic farm (5-7pm Fridays only) and the farmer's market (Fri only), we do pretty well. Tomatoes are just starting here. In fact, we're just starting to get much beyond greens and radishes! We have however had lots of strawberries and rhubarb, and the raspberries are just starting. And I had my first broccoli last week. It's soooo nice to have good, local, fresh produce. I only get it about 3 months a year so I really try to make the most of it. I also try to freeze enough to get us through most of the winter so I'm not buying mediocre stuff that I have no idea where it was grown.

ennay
08-01-2007, 12:09 AM
lettuce
carrots
cucumbers
squash squash squash
beans beans beans
cantaloupe (ick)
eggplant
basil

mariposita
08-01-2007, 12:41 PM
tomatoes
potatoes
beans--enough to freeze yay!
zucchini
patty pans
flat leaf parsley
kohlrabi
beets
green and purple peppers
pea pods
peas
cabbage

Great variety this week! Also got carrots, radishes, a 7-pound cauliflower and a huge broccoli from my neighbor this week. How lucky is that?:carrot::broc:

Elanajel
08-05-2007, 09:07 PM
I haven't been thrilled with mine so far. Part of it is just the way it's working out--we bought a 1/2 share ($300) and it's turning out to be way too much for each week (esp. things like chard and collards, which DH and I like but not every day all day).

Other items so far:
radishes
zucchini and yellow summer squash
sweet corn
beets
collards
Swiss chart
various lettuce: redleaf, greenleaf, romaine
scallions
a different herb each week--lemon balm, parsley, chervil, sage, rosemary (the herbs might be the best part!)

I'm looking forward to the tomatoes; I'm sure those will be better.

In any case, it's local and certified organic so at least it's a good cause. Has anyone posted recipes somewhere?

sarah44
08-05-2007, 10:49 PM
I don't belong to a CSA, but I go to the farmer's market every week. This week I discovered "chameh" melon - it's beautiful and delicious, very crunchy and sweet. The texture is less mushy than canteloupe or honeydew:

http://3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/sarah44/files/2007/08/2007_08_02-chameh-mellon.JPG

I didn't take this picture, it's from a cooking website, but it shows how pretty these melons are. So if anyone gets one in their CSA box, now you'll know what it is!

mariposita
08-06-2007, 01:01 PM
I haven't been thrilled with mine so far. Part of it is just the way it's working out--we bought a 1/2 share ($300) and it's turning out to be way too much for each week (esp. things like chard and collards, which DH and I like but not every day all day).

You can blanch and freeze the greens for later if you have too many.

lavidasofa
08-07-2007, 02:24 PM
This what we're getting this week

ON Red Leaf Lettuce
QC Broccoli*
.5lb ON Green/Yellow Beans*
ON Bunched Carrots
ON Green Cabbage*
ON Zucchini
ON Black Kale
1lb ON New Potatoes
.5lb ON Baby Bok Choy
Avocado
ON Cantelope*
4 Bananas
4 Peaches
4 Royal Gala Apples
4 Valencia Oranges

Spinymouse
08-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Hey, how do you grow bananas and oranges in Canada?
Well it's more of those blasted strawberries here, and wonderful heirloom tomatoes, chard, lettuce, lavender,basil, squash, red leaf lettuce, bok choy, potatoes, onions...
It's getting more challenging here to use it all as one person dropped out (we were splitting a whole share 3 ways, now down to two.) When you blanch and freeze do you have any problems with freezer burn? I haven't tried this with greens.

mariposita
08-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Spiny, I haven't had problems with freezer burn. I just put in a ziploc bag and squeeze out all the air, seal, then stack the bags in the freezer. I do use them up within 6 months or so, which always helps.

ennay
08-13-2007, 01:14 AM
OK LAST week I got

leaf lettuce,
green beans,
summer squash (8 squash!!)
cucumbers,
basil,
cherry tomatoes,
Sweet Banana peppers,
beets, and
new potatoes - yukon, purple and red

I got my box tuesday but was too sick to use any until today and I still had most my box from the week before. I roasted a huge pan of zucchini and eggplant from last week's box and I am going to use it in omelets and sandwiches all week.

I have 2 huge bags of beans, I need to sort out any that went bad and tomorrow I will need to blanch and freeze or cook and eat them. I got seriously behind and a new box is coming tuesday!!! ACK. Its hard when I am almost the only one eating it.

mariposita
08-13-2007, 10:31 PM
purple beans
red cabbage
green peppers
crookneck squash
flat leaf parsley
huge bunch of beets--yay I love beets
cucumbers
a huge Armenian cucumber
garlic
red toms
yellow toms

And they say that next week one of my all-time faves will start: the lemon cucumbers! Gah, I love those things! :drool:

ennay
08-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Oh we had lemon cucumbers the last 2 weeks...yum yummy!

got the list this morning for todays pickup:

triple sweet corn,
summer squash,
cucumbers,
lettuce,
beets,
cabbage,
peaches,
an herb(cilantro, basil, or dill),
assorted hot peppers(long, black pasillos, jalapenos, long, yellow hungarian wax, cream colored mariachi, and heart-shaped poblanos),
potatoes,
and tomatoes or eggplant.

Yikes this looks like a big week and I still have lots leftover from last week. Gotta get cooking! I may need to make a big batch of southwest lentil soup to freeze (its like a minestrone except lentils instead of pasta and cumin and cayenne instead of italian seasoning)

modkittn
08-15-2007, 04:52 PM
I only learned about this a couple weeks ago, but they sound great! I'm thinking of doing it next year. Its $500 here for a full share, and no one near my house does a half share. There is a place near where I work that will do a half share, but I'm not guaranteed to always be in on the day they do pickup :(

ValentineNicole
08-15-2007, 06:43 PM
There is not a CSA drop off near me at all :(
I do, however, stop at a local produce stand from a nearby farm quite often. It's right next to my grandma's nursing home (She had a stroke :( ), so I stop over there on my way to visit. Today, I got some of THE most fabulous peaches ever, a huge tomato (gone! Oops, lol), pluots, mango pluots (!!!), blackberries, and muscadines (Mmmmmmm)
It's fantabulous!!!!! :D

Spinymouse
08-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Let's just say.... it's beginning to look a lot like GAZPACHO!
Anyone have a great recipe?

SoulBliss
09-22-2007, 12:21 PM
No, I don't have a recipe really...I just chop it all up (tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, hot peppers) and blend half of it and then add in fresh cilantro (no parsley for me) lemon or lime juice and a pinch of salt.

I got my weekly CSA and it was GREAT! Last week was wimpy (the small boxes looked to be as big as the large boxes) and it looks as though they made up for it this week!

Its still all organic stuff ;)

Broccoli (2 large crowns)
6 Limes
2 containers of heirloom tomatoes (my DD was so cute when she opened the box and saw that we had 2 containers...she exclaimed: "Ooooo! 2 CONTAINERS! We won't have to worry about running out!" :lol: )
1 container of cherry tomatoes
10 Pears
10 Oranges
1 bunch of arugula
4 heads of lettuce
6 zucchini
2 cucumbers (the BEST cucmbers I have ever eaten! We ate them last night with the heirloom tomatoes, hummus, avocado and seedy bagels)

SoulBliss
09-28-2007, 09:50 PM
I LOVE my CSA!!! I feel so blessed to get so many things fresh from the farm! Today, I have:

Slicing tomatoes (about 5 pounds!)
1 pound heirloom tomatoes
2 pints cherry tomatoes
3 cucumbers
6 limes
1 bunch dandelion greens
4 heads of assorted green leafy lettuces
4 large zucchini
1 large bunch bok choy
4 large broccoli crowns
6 orange beets
Oranges (about 5 pounds!)

ennay
09-29-2007, 08:48 PM
sniff sniff only 2 more weeks left

SoulBliss
09-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Why? We have year-round CSA plans here in California. Is there no Fall/Winter crop available in Oregon?

misslis
10-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks to this thread, I've just signed up w/ the CSA program at a local farm here in Washington. It's year-round and they buy from other farms in the winter to allow for more variety in the boxes. The boxes come in three sizes and I pay $29/box for the small one. I didn't have to pay any money up front, they just charge me the day before the pick-up day. I can cancel any time or suspend it if I'm going out of town or something. They also display the contents of your box online the Friday before it ships so you can make changes to it until noon on Monday. So if they put something in it that you hate, you have the option to substitute for something else. AND they let you permanently exclude three things. Awesome! I'm so excited!

mandalinn82
10-24-2007, 07:46 PM
I, regrettably, had to drop my CSA box, and I felt TERRIBLE about it. What happened was that the city in which my farm was located had an outbreak of mediterranean fruit fly, which isn't native in CA...they think someone brought back produce from Hawaii or another state where it is a problem...anyway, they basically had to quarantine my farm, and only limited produce could be sent out from them (only items that are proven not to be attractive to the medfly). Since the box was eating such a large portion of my weekly produce budget, I couldn't stick with them with the very limited boxes for very long, so I had to drop it. Which made me feel SOOO terrible, because obviously they need the money most at this time. I just couldn't afford to both support the farm AND buy my conventional produce.

It was a sad thing for MANY reasons, though, including the total loss of the heirloom and regular tomato crops. They did, however, have a tomato-sauce-canning party with the members (apparently you can take cooked tomatoes out of the quarantine zone, but not raw ones). They couldn't even send all the leftover, unsaleable produce home with their workers...it all had to be cooked or destroyed.

Ready2ShedLBS
11-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks to everyone here I am going to join an CSA, around here the organic one operates April-November, and its like $720 or $30 a week. Which I spend $30 a week anyways and I dont get near the amount of produce you all are getting and it certainly isnt organic, but WALMART which has the crappiest produce ever but hey.. you have to do what you have to do. Anyways.. yay.

errantbehavior
11-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Thanks so much for posting about CSA's. I'd never heard of it before, and the website you gave is wonderful- I found about 6 farms in my area with a wonderful variety.

I'm off to spread the word to everyone I know!:carrot:

Spinymouse
11-16-2007, 12:14 AM
From this week, and last week, and 2 weeks ago,
Anybody want some SQUASH????????????? Of various kinds???????????????
It does inspire one's creativity.

SoulBliss
11-16-2007, 11:26 AM
I WISH we had squash! We just keep getting so many tomatoes and lettuces!!! It's not salad weather! :lol: I'll post later when I get my CSA box tonight and hopefully there will be something other than TOMATOES and LETTUCES!!!

SoulBliss
11-17-2007, 02:33 AM
Well, it was.......drumroll please........ Loads of tomatoes and lettuces again! :/ Oh well. I also got arugula, cilantro, rainbow chard and broccoli. I miss the heirloom tomatoes.