Does it Work? - The diet plate

View Full Version : The diet plate

crazy helen
06-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi Girls,

I have been counting my calories recently, and I don't mind weighing my breakfast out, or measuring my lunch, but my husband always cooks my dinners and I find that I often end up overeating, simply because my plate is piled high and I feel I should finish it. I've seen a few adverts for the diet plate, and I like the idea of controlling how much I eat. Has anyone tried it? And what did you think? http://www.thedietplate.co.uk/index.php

Suzanne 3FC
06-20-2007, 11:16 AM
I've seen a lot of people ask about it, but I don't recall anyone saying if they liked it or not. :dunno:

It looks like it might be worth a try! Another suggestion might be to use a smaller plate. Several diet books suggest using a 7 inch plate instead of a standard dinner plate. I've tried it and it really did help me :)

nelie
06-20-2007, 11:18 AM
I use a salad plate as my dinner plate. and I make sure it isn't "piled high". It works pretty well.

Oh also at the recommendation of Suzanne, I bought kid sized bowls too. Although I was able to find some bowls that were smaller but the kid sized ones were more economic.

indigal
06-20-2007, 11:41 AM
At first glance, they kinda remind me of those childrens colorful cartoony plates. I found a lovely set of blue square salad plates that I use as my everyday dinner/meal plates... I have guests a lot...nobody has ever said "Gee these plates are too small" The presentation looks nice, and you can't put too much on them. So all who dine with me benefit w/o knowing!...

ddc
06-20-2007, 12:10 PM
I read in the book "Mindless Eating" about the Idaho plate method in which you split your dinner plate in half and fill that half with non-starchy veggies, the other half of the plate, you cut in half and can have your protein on one side and your starch on the other side. So, you have half a plate of veggies, one quarter of your plate meat and one quarter starch. I try to follow that way with my family. I feel it's a really good balanced way to eat. My only problem is finding veggies that my kids will eat. You can only have green beans so many times a week!! (that's about all they like). They have a website www.platemethod.com. You can request a complimentary copy of the guide without having to purchase the placemat. I was going to get a placemat, but the shipping was way too much for what it was, I thought.
Also, the book Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink is a very good read. It's not a diet book, but is about the psychology of why we eat like we do. He's a professor at Cornell Univ. and does all kinds of interesting studies.
Best Wishes, Donna

KiDaisy
06-20-2007, 01:24 PM
I am a huge fan of the smaller plate - they have great ones at Target for 2 bucks each. I also use Measuring Cups as serving spoons - my little guys think it is cool and my hubby does not care - but if my portion should be 1/4 cup, then that is what goes in the bowl. It has really helped me get a grip on my portions.
KM

ladybugnessa
06-20-2007, 01:40 PM
it's a cool looking plate.

i do the half veggies 1/4 protein 1/4 starchy item plus a big bowl of salad for dinner...

crazy helen
06-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll try eating on a smaller plate and see how I go with that, its a really good idea. I'll keep you posted on what I find. Its a shame the diet plate is so expensive, I'd have been really happy to try it if it had been cheaper.

Suzanne 3FC
06-20-2007, 02:41 PM
I use a Spongebob Squarepants plate and bowl set :)

ladybugnessa
06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
I use a Spongebob Squarepants plate and bowl set :)

I want PICTURES! oh that's too funny...

crazy helen
06-21-2007, 03:57 AM
I'm thinking of a pirates of the caribbean plate then Johnny Depp can stare up at me whenever I finish eating (I know I'm very strange) :D

StillTryin
08-27-2007, 05:19 PM
I use the salad plate and dessert bowls...they are MUCH smaller and make a big difference. So I say, why spend more, when you have something that will work.