General chatter - Does Your Man Smell?

View Full Version : Does Your Man Smell?

EZMONEY
06-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Today is Father's Day. I splashed on some Old Spice after shave before we headed off to church this morning. I use Old Spice but not often, Angie doesn't care for it too much. I use it because it reminds me of my dad, that is why I use it today. Although passed almost 20 years ago I still remember his smell after shaving...Old Spice or Mennen After Shave.

Angie buys me Ralph Lauren Polo Sport, it is a little strong for me and pricy. I have found out though that if I use it there is a pretty good chance that it could be :o :love: "date night" :love: :o

I have a variety of after shaves and colognes on my shelf. From Old Spice Original ~ Old Spice Fresh ~ Mennen ~ Aqua Velva ~ Adidas ~ and Brute to of course Polo Sport.

What does your man wear? Does an after shave remind you of your dad? Do you have a favorite?

walking2lose
06-17-2007, 04:15 PM
My man smells really good -- I think it's just that I like his phermones though. Occassionally he'll use a body scrub he has that I bought him, which I buy from a girl in our area who handmakes scrubs, gels, lotions, etc. They are all scented with essential oils. The one he likes has cedar wood, pine, patchouli (I would say it's light on the patchouli because I'm not normally a big patchouli fan). It's very manly and sexy and not heavy. He has the shower gel and the sugar scrub in the same scent.

I just saw Dr. Oz on Oprah talking about phermones last week. He said little girls do not like the natural scent of their fathers - in other words they are not attracted to their father's phermones. This is mother nature at work. I found it extremely interesting because I remember being in middle school and complaining to my mom about my dad's smell -- it was sort of minerally smelling like metal. Hard to explain, but I know I did not like it. Isn't that interesting? He said that most couples really like each others natural smells.

HeatherAngel
06-17-2007, 06:40 PM
I lost my sense of smell entirely when I fractured my skull last October and severed my olfactory nerve :( But hubby still wears Chanel Platinum Sport - I used to love it, so I like thinking he still wears it :)

Heather :)

PS - My dad always smelled like Old Spice or English Leather :)

iminhere
06-17-2007, 06:44 PM
my dad was kinda stinky.....

I like a man who smells clean....like soap and water...shampoo etc...

just a touch of something light and lemony over that soap and water fresh is nice.....

there was this stuff I got from New Orleans once...J.H. Tindel Eau de Cologne...it's supposed to be inspired by the scent that Napolean preferred...

http://www.neworleansperfume.com/men.htm

lizziness
06-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I like the smell of my hubby just as is. Sometimes he'll wear this cologne that is lovely it's Eddie Bauer something or other - and I like the Old Spice fresh deodorant.

Dad always wore Old Spice, and while I don't HATE it per-se... I definately would not want my man to wear it!

charolastra00
06-17-2007, 07:00 PM
My boyfriend doesn't wear anything in particular, but I like his natural scent. Even when we're cuddling and my face invariably ends up in his armpit, it's not all that bad.

On the other hand, I have a SEVERE aversion to Axe. My brother went through a phase in middle school where he'd spray as much of that on as possible in lieu of bathing and ugggggh.

FreeSpirit
06-17-2007, 07:07 PM
I love the way my boyfriend smells. He almost always smells like old spice and car oil. It's wonderful.

Whenever I smell the old spice that he uses on someone else, it reminds me of him and I love it.

melekalikimaka
06-17-2007, 07:11 PM
My dad used to wear the standard Old Spice when I was little. Then he graduated to Gray Flannel --yuck! Today he uses something from Avon called Wild Country, my mom is pushing him to buy Driven (the one advertised by Derek Jeter :dunno:.

As for hubby, one of my favorite scents on him is Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein, it was one of the first gifts I gave him and it still makes me swoon. These days he alternates between Armani Mania (after shave) which makes my knees seriously weak :love: or maybe just a body wash like Very Sexy for Men by Victoria's Secret. This is a far far cry from when I first met him and he wore Brut :lol:

HarpoChicoGroucho
06-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Nearly all of my ex boyfriends wore AXE. I really liked it. I loved it when I spent time with them and I came home and I could still smell them on my clothes.

My dad always smelled like oil too -- except he didn't wear anything, so he just smelled like oil. He hasn't been a mechanic for over 12 years, but he still has one of his work coats, and he has it in his basement, and it STILL smells like oil. I don't think he ever washed it.

I lost my sense of smell entirely when I fractured my skull last October and severed my olfactory nerve :( But hubby still wears Chanel Platinum Sport - I used to love it, so I like thinking he still wears it :)

Heather :)

PS - My dad always smelled like Old Spice or English Leather :)

Do you find that not having a sense of smell aids in the ability to resist cravings? I know when my allergies act up and I lose my sense of smell (therefore the majority of my sense of taste as well), I easily turn down tempting foods. I always wondered if doctors would remove olfactory glands to help with weight loss. But then I noticed too, when I lost it for long periods, I stop craving the taste, and then started craving the texture of whatever food my brain zeroed in on. So maybe it wouldn't work.

AmberD
06-17-2007, 09:57 PM
My BF wears Marc Jacobs. I bought it for him, I'm crazy over it.

Dad doesn't smell like much more than dirty. Love him anyway though :)

lilybelle
06-17-2007, 11:23 PM
My DH uses the Axe body spray but sparingly. He smells good to me. My dad always used Old Spice.

Does anyone remember the perfume Emeraude from Avon? LOL, I sprayed a bunch of that on me when I was in high school and I stunk to high heaven. Also got atttacked by bees when I wore Sweet Honesty by Avon. LOL.

Clydegirl
06-17-2007, 11:52 PM
My dad was an Old Spice man. The Oh wears body sprays but he doesn't wear after shave. He always smells good. Ilove after shave though and always notice it on other people.

Lilybelle I remember Sweet Honesty used to love it when I was 15!!

Mummy_Tummy
06-18-2007, 02:47 AM
I'm worried about having an Oedipal complex now because I always loved the way my dad smelled. I don't think he ever wore cologne of any sort but when I was little, I'd sleep with the shirt he had been wearing that day. It was comforting to me, not sexy in any way. YUCK, though, to any sentence that mentions both my dad and the word sexy!

I love my husband's natural scent. In fact, I don't really like him to shower before coming to bed because then he just smells like soap and not himself (assuming he hasn't been cycling or doing yardwork!). When he does wear a product, it's Javari from The Body Shop and it is gorgeous. I like it best when he's worn it to work and come home and the scent is faint so there's his natural scent plus a faint whiff of Javari.

Then, I react very strongly to smell in any way. I like snuggling my 3 year old daughter after a bath but actually prefer the way she smells before the bath. If I don't like the way someone smells, either from too much perfume or BO or uncleanliness, then I tend not to like that person very much.

techwife
06-18-2007, 07:31 AM
I have a variety of after shaves and colognes on my shelf. From Old Spice Original ~ Old Spice Fresh ~ Mennen ~ Aqua Velva ~ Adidas ~ and Brute to of course Polo Sport.

What does your man wear? Does an after shave remind you of your dad? Do you have a favorite?

My GRANDFATHER used to wear Old Spice. I love the smell of it because it reminds me of Grampa...like I love the smell of lily of the valley because it smells like Grandma dressed for church. (she used to have lily of the valley perfume) Now...I love these scents, but I would NOT want my husband to smell like Grampa. My husband doesn't wear any cologne or aftershave. He just smells like the soap and shampoo he uses adn when that wears off, he just smells like himself, which I love very much.

As for Mennen, Brute and Aqua Velva :faint: My dad used to have an old fashioned copy machine that a guy in the fire department used to have to use for things from time to time. I'm here to tell ya that this guy used to use an entire bottle of the stuff at one time and our house would smell like that for a half hour after he left. It was AWFUL, so if you came around me with that stuff on, I'd have to tell you to take a shower. They smell like cheap, old Italian men. Or lounge lizards.

An old boyfriend of mine used to use Chaps when he'd come pick me up for a date and I quite liked that. Also, my favorite, Matthew McConaughey is the...poster child?...for Stetson and I like that, too.

techwife
06-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Oh, and my dad never really used scented things, either...but he used to keep a pack of cigarettes in his front pocket adn I used to love to sit in the recliner with him and my face was usually right next to the cigarettes and to this day, smelling a pack of cigs reminds me of my dad...so does Lavoris and Vitalis for what it's worth...

4myloves
06-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Daddy wears Paul Sebastian, and I love it on him! When he drives my car or when I kiss him on the cheek good-bye I can still smell it for awhile--and it's never too strong!

I had an ex who wore Polo. To this day, I remember him when I smell it. Not altogether good--or bad--memories, just HIM.

My DH doesn't wear anything, but I love his natural scent, unless he's been welding some particularly stinky material. I like to cuddle up to him in bed or kiss the back of his neck while he's sitting at the table, just to get a whiff of him. :)

modkittn
06-18-2007, 09:28 AM
DH doesn't wear cologne or after shave, but he wears Old Spice deodorant and that smells strong enough for me :)

junebug41
06-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Gary- since being away from my beloved, all I can think of sometimes is his smell! It's intoxicating! :faint: While he uses a scented body wash, he just naturally has a sweet, pleasant smell. It was one of the first things I noticed about him and it hasn't gone away. And I miss it terribly:(

lizziness
06-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Funny- if I smell someone that smells like any of my ex-es I do NOT like it. Especially Aspen. Blech!

alinnell
06-18-2007, 11:23 AM
No Old Spice here! My Dad wears Polo Sport and DH wears Georgio Armani Emporium (although he used to wear Obsession by Calvin Klein).

4myloves
06-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Funny- if I smell someone that smells like any of my ex-es I do NOT like it. Especially Aspen. Blech!

Yep, for awhile, Polo literally made me sick to my stomach. Thank goodness I got over that!

BabyBrownEyes
06-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Mmmm..I love talking about the way my BF smells...

he wears Adidas Sport I think....last time I checked but my favorite is when he doesn't put it on and it's been a couple hours since he showered. I also am in love with the way he smells after he's been mowing lawns all day (works for a lawn service company in the summer). He manages to smell amazing and he knows it totally turns me on. *heart pound out of chest*

My dad wears Chanel for men and I never noticed my dad's scent really. He just...smells like dad I guess. He does have that metal smell to him, but that's because he works in a plant. Hmm..interesting.

WaterRat
06-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Hmm, my Dad and then my step-dad were both Old Spice guys! DH will wear it once in while, as his Dad did too.

I used to love DH's natural smell. Back in college I'd borrow his down parka and just loved being able to inhale his scent on it. He had cancer 8 years ago, thus a lot of chemo and a stem cell transplant - he doesn't smell the same!! The chemo was the worst, it lingered in his body odor for days! Now he doesn't have a lot of natural odor, except when he's been working out or doing yard work, etc.

He wears Royall Spice aftershave that I really like, though he also likes Bay Rum, which I do not! He often uses it when he's going somewhere without me, knowing that I really don't like it.

SavingServo
06-18-2007, 03:21 PM
I know my dad doesn't wear any one scent. But my boyfriend has this mouthwash that is the exact same one my grandma used to use! :o
Thankfully he's stopped using it.

EZMONEY
06-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Oh, and my dad never really used scented things, either...but he used to keep a pack of cigarettes in his front pocket adn I used to love to sit in the recliner with him and my face was usually right next to the cigarettes and to this day, smelling a pack of cigs reminds me of my dad...so does Lavoris and Vitalis for what it's worth...

:lol: One grandpa used to use Vitalis...and I did too for awhile...another grandpa AND my dad used Brylcream on him and us boys as kids! ..."a little dab will do ya!"

Gary- since being away from my beloved, all I can think of sometimes is his smell! It's intoxicating! :faint: While he uses a scented body wash, he just naturally has a sweet, pleasant smell. It was one of the first things I noticed about him and it hasn't gone away. And I miss it terribly:(

Hope he comes home soon...or you go back home...college class right for the summer for you right?

No Old Spice here! My Dad wears Polo Sport and DH wears Georgio Armani Emporium (although he used to wear Obsession by Calvin Klein).

Sure ALLISON ~ anything will do in that heat! ;)

Yep, for awhile, Polo literally made me sick to my stomach. Thank goodness I got over that!

Don't tell Angie ;)

Justforme07
06-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Early in our marriage Aramis was popular and I always bought it for DH. For several years now he has gotten away from wearing cologne. Sometimes our sons will give him a brand that they bought and didn't like but I usually don't like it either.
This past Christmas I decided it would be nice if we both started wearing scents again. I smelled so many different types trying to decide what I wanted to smell on him it nearly made me sick. I finally decided to go with the Aramis for old times sake.

When my grown sons arrived on Christmas morning and were looking at what we got each other they took the lid off his cologne bottle and both said "oh, my gosh, that reminds me of Daddy when we were little." The smiles on their faces were so sweet as they remembered that.

Like the others my Dad always wore and still does, Old Spice. I like it on him because of the same sweet memories but it would be really creepy if DH started wearing it.

Su-Bee
06-22-2007, 03:34 PM
I used to have a friend, Mike, who smelled SO GOOD. . .just amazingly good. I would make excuses to hug him just to smell him. . .omg. . .

Well, I got him to tell me the cologne he wore. . .and I have bought it for two separate men now. . .and neither one of them smells amazing the way Mike used to. :(

My husband, sadly enough, is completely odor-free, whether he wears cologne or not. The first time he spent the night, the next day I was gonna cuddle up to the pillow he had used to get that yummy moment where you smell him again. . .and. . .nothing. Zip, zilch, nada.

lizziness
06-22-2007, 07:27 PM
I used to sit by this guy in high school - he was sort of like dirty bikerish and mannish even though we were teenagers - something about his smell of leather jacket, cigarettes and no shower just really make me go nuts. Seems kinda gross now that I think about it...

I don't like BO really but the smell of a man who has been working isn't unpleasant.
But that's just me, I also find the smell of skunk and gasoline pleasant. :)

newFannie07
06-22-2007, 09:50 PM
My DH has so many colognes and body sprays, I can't keep track of them all. I know I like Kenneth Cole Black and Drakkar Noir (OK from the 80's but I can't help it). All I know is DH usually showers just before me and then he sprays his body spray (mostly any Axe variety) in the dang bathroom. Ugh. I can TASTE it. I have asked over and over and over for him to spray in the bedroom, but he won't. It smells good later, but yuck.

Lafayette
06-23-2007, 08:59 AM
My brothers both wore Drakar Noir in lieu of bathing. To this day, the smell of that cologne makes me sick to my stomach!

My dad is a soap guy- I hear you about the cigarettes, though. They have always been in his front shirt pocket. He's one of the only men I know who has a full set of Lacoste and other high-end polo shirts with pockets like that! On anyone else, it would look dumb but, on my dad, it's just my dad!

My fiance is a soap guy, too. A different brand so nothing weird there :) I did buy him the Burt's Bees bay rum aftershave lotion. Whoa... think Captain Morgan Private Stock without the smell of alcohol. I have to go ask himk to put it on... bye!

Ellies mom
06-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Daddy wears Addidis (sp?) and Stetson on special occasions. Cologne and perfumes make my mother sick, so we never wore much smelly stuff as I was growing up.

My DH wore Red for men and Drakkar when we were dating, but now he rarely wears any cologne. I actually prefer him without the extra scents. Like so many others in this thread, I like "his smell".

Michelle
06-25-2007, 12:19 AM
My hubby doesn't wear any cologne, but I always remember my grandpa wearing Old Spice and I could smell it right when I walked in the room, but I thought is smelled really good.

BlueToBlue
06-25-2007, 02:50 AM
My dad wore (and maybe still wears) Old Spice. I can't stand the smell of it. It literally makes me sick to my stomach. He would put it on before we all got in the car to go somewhere (of course, you always put on aftershave before going out) and I had horrible problems with carsickness as I kid. I can vaguely remember be trapped in a closed car, feeling sick, with the pervasive and insidious smell of Old Spice. I'm feeling a little sick even thinking about it. Of course, it didn't help that my dad is a terrible driver--nothing like the old gas and glide method combined with the smell of Old Spice to make a kid sick.

I do remember being into Drakar Noir in high school. I think maybe my boyfriend wore it.

My current SO doesn't really have a smell and doesn't wear aftershave.

Natalia
06-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Mmmmmmm, Black by Kenneth Cole is just the best!!
I smelled it in a magazine when it first came out, but I couldnt find it anywhere! NOw I should go get some for dh..

Dh doesnt really have a signature scent..I buy him all sorts of cologne, which he wears every day. My favorite on him is probably Escape by Calvin Klein. Normally I'm not a big fan, but the smell on him is unbelievable :)

Even with no cologne he smells great. Very manly, very masculine.

My dad kind of smells like wood (hes a contractor) and doesnt wear cologne.
Never wore old spice as my mom's dad always wore that..LOL

Slashnl
06-25-2007, 02:56 PM
I've been reading this thread a lot and just decided to go ahead and post so that I can admit my sins! First of all, my DH doesn't wear cologne. It really wouldn't fit for him to have a cologne/after shave scent, but he does wear Old Spice deoderant. That fresh, out of the shower scent is my favorite!

However.... my very first somewhat-serious bf in high school (long time ago) wore Polo (the original one). College and careers took us in different directions, but he was very special to me. (We talk very occasionally and I realize that we are so different, that it is a good thing that those prayers were unanswered!!!) Anyway, to this day I lose all ability to communicate when I smell Polo. It will stop me dead in my tracks. I haven't actually seen him since high school, just once a year or two we talk on the phone or email. I asked him if he still wore Polo and he said a student told him that the original Polo is "so 80's", so he quit wearing it.

I also love Drakkar Noir. Probably an old fashioned scent, too, but love it.

LindseyLouWho
06-26-2007, 01:53 AM
I'm one of those weird people who just can't get enough of the smell of their SO. I'm a very scent oriented person, and I'm constantly sniffing my boyfriend... and he knows about it and thinks it's funny (especially after nearly 2 years of dating). I like his smell, but on top of that, I love the way his deodorant smells (Right Guard Xtreme Energy gel) on him. For Christmas, I also bought him some cologne because he had expressed interest in having some, but we could never find one that didn't smell too strong (and manly... we both hate the smell of most men's colognes)... so I found Gaultier^2 (vanilla and amber... so it's sweet and spicy), which I believe is unisex. I *love* the way it smells, and he usually only wears it when we're going out to dinner or what have you, so that makes it extra special.