Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Why did I do this?

I had heard mixed reviews about Fiber One Bars. On one hand, people seemed to rave about how yummy, sweet, and delicious they are. On the other, some people seemed to complain that they cause intense stomach upset/gas/bloating. But I decided to give them a try. I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious the Chocolate Oat ones are. More like a dessert than a healthy snack for sure. REALLY GOOD! I was happy to have found a good snack option until...

about 30 minutes later. Now I would like to die! I have never had such awful stomach cramping before. This is absolutely TERRIBLE! I can't buy that this is just because it's high in fiber. I eat a lot of fiber and have never had this reaction. I will be throwing the box away as soon as I can actually move . I have heard that Gnu bars don't cause this reaction, but you can only buy them online and they are very pricey. So much for a yummy healthy snack bar. If it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is!
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

What about Odwalla bars? I've never had a bad reaction to those.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 7'

Sorry about that but thanks for the warning!!! Hope you feel better soon.
HocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:16 PM   #4  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

I wonder if you're having a reaction to the sweeteners in them? I know it wreaks havoc with some folks stomachs. I hope you feel better soon.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Do they have Malitol in them ? I have learned the hard way to avoid anything with Malitol.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:11 PM   #6  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Sorry to hear you had a reaction! I've never felt bad after having them, my favorite is the peanut butter and they are so sweet I treat them as a dessert or sometimes I'm just craving some sweets and they do the trick beautifully.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

I googled it (fiber one bar reviews) and apparently it's VERY common to have these issues. Yuck. I had it around 11am and am still feeling the.. err.. effects, the worst (WORST) ever gas bubbles feel like they're doing karate in my stomach. EEEEK.

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/20...bar_review.php

http://www.iateapie.net/reviews/arch...r_one_oats.php

So.. those are gone. I may try the Kashi TLC cherry dark chocolate bars next.. but I'm a little scared!
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Considering that many granola bars have 2-3 grams of fiber, and these have up to 15, it very well could be the fiber. Even if you're normally eating a lot of veggies, adding an additional 15 grams of fiber to your normal daily total can have an impact. On the other hand, you might be reacting to another ingredient.

I've never had a problem with them, but I make sure to only eat one in any given day, because I was diagnosed with "colitis" years ago (probably would be IBS today) and eating too much fiber, or too much fat will wreak havoc with my digestive tract.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #9