Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc - Diet-to-Go weight loss

View Full Version : Diet-to-Go weight loss

workit120
06-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Hi! I am new to this forum. I have found so much wonderful information on all of the delivery services. I recently ordered the low fat menu from Diet To Go (before I read this forum). I was also planning on ordering a week of Diet to Your Door (BistroMD) next week. Has anyone had any long term success with either one of these programs? I read about great success with NS (I tried that one twice and couldn't stand the food, LOL ...it is the only one I have ever tried), JC, and ediets express. Most people say that NS and JC food isn't very good and I was wondering why people have so much more success with those than with DTG or BistroMD? I would like to lose 60 or 70 lbs. The plans are basically 1200 calories and that would leave me starving. I can add some snacks of my own but I was wondering how many calories I can eat and still lose weight? I'd like to gradually wean down to 1200 calories so that my body doesn't get stuck at a certain weight and then I would have to cut my calories even more to lose more weight.

Suzanne 3FC
06-16-2007, 12:30 AM
I don't know... I think maybe Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig have been more popular long term because they are cheaper and probably easier to afford for those that have a lot of weight to lose. That's just a guess. Diet to Go and BistroMD are definitely higher quality and better tasting. But they also cost more. DTG offers both a 1200 and a 1600 cal plan.

BistroMD is also available through SamsClub at a discounted rate.

workit120
06-16-2007, 01:04 PM
You are probably right! The cost of doing one of the more expensive plans for 8 months (just a guess at how long it would take to lose 60 or 70 lbs) is thousands of dollars. BistroMD would cost almost $5000 without snacks! JC seems to be about the same price as ediets and DTG (if you were to buy the good frozen food). I can't decide if I should try BistroMD or ediets next. Did you find that BistroMD or DTG tasted better than the other one? You had great reviews of both of them.

Thank you so much for your help :)

Suzanne 3FC
06-16-2007, 02:45 PM
When I tried BistroMD, I wasn't vegetarian, so I didn't mind eating so much chicken. And you better like chicken on this diet :lol: At least it was real, not McProcessed. They also include some seafood, pork, and beef, but chicken is the most popular ingredient. They were very creative, and it was all delicious. Each meal came in a large bag containing smaller individual bags because each component was wrapped separately. Some things needed to cook longer. You could use the microwave or drop the bags in boiling water. The vegetables all tasted like they were just picked from the garden and nothing was overcooked.

DTG meals were usually packed in one container that resembled a large lean cuisine black plastic baking dish. I chose the vegetarian meals, so I had various casseroles, burritos, and that sort of thing. Everything was really delicious (except those nasty soy meals), but heating them up was a little tricky because they didn't include directions and I didn't know which resulted in best quality - microwave, oven, or what. One of our members chose DTG with regular foods, not vegetarian, and she said they were fabulous and she couldn't believe they were diet food.

Fortunately none require a long term commitment, so it's easy to cancel or put them on hold while you try another service. I recommend trying them all before deciding. There's also no reason to stick with just one for the duration of the diet, especially if you are picky or get bored easily like me :lol:

We also tried the 3 Hour Diet which was really good! We won't put up a review yet, we're waiting for Jennifer to try it. Their foods were fresh, not frozen. FYI- the 3 Hour Diet and the eDiets meals are made by the same company. The main difference between them is that with the 3 Hour Diet, you can pick and choose your meal choices from the very beginning. eDiets makes you take a preselected menu for your first week (or maybe two?) so if you have any dietary restrictions, then you are out of luck.

kerfuffle
06-17-2007, 04:15 PM
I'm on Week 7 of the BistroMD food delivery service. I was quite successful losing weight through Jenny Craig, but after two years of Jenny Lasagna and Pesto Pizza, I needed a change. I also wanted the convenience of home delivery, which JC doesn't offer in my area. I tried DietToGo for 1 week, but became quickly frustrated with the lack of proper heating instructions. My meals were inconsistently labeled, which wasnít helpful. I did like the breakfasts (much more so than the BistroMD options) and thought the dinners were pretty good. I did not like the lunches and didnít think they included enough vegetables with them. So I moved on to BistroMd. I intentionally passed on programs like Seattle Sutton and the 3 Hour Diet because I like the flexibility that comes with having a frozen food over fresh food service.

PROS
The BistroMD dinners/lunches are tasty and creative. It is a meat-centered program. The vegetables taste very fresh and are part of almost every meal. The food is pretty bland in the spice department, but that isn't a huge concern for me.

I think the best thing about the BistroMD plan so far is that these meals actually fill me up. The calorie count of the meals are higher than the JC meals, Whenever someone sees me eating one of these meals at work, I get comments like "Wow! That's a lot of food!"

ISSUES
I am not impressed with the breakfasts whatsoever. If there was an option to do so, I would take off breakfast altogether. They send a week of hot chocolate (with aspartame) to supplement some of the 100 calorie breakfast options (sad bagels, 100 calorie muffins, cardboard chocolate breakfast biscuits. I think this is lame way to supplement a low calorie food item. And does the doctor think aspartame should be part of someoneís daily diet? I do like their waffles; it is one of the few breakfast options that is over 150 calories and doesn't require the hot chocolate calorie supplement.

I did not sign up for their snacks, figuring I could come up with more creative snacks than what seemed to be on their menu. A daily snack choice on their menu seemed to be this "fruity shake". This seems to be a more calorie-dense type of food that will still leave me hungry. For a morning snack, it seems like a high-volume food choice would be better for dieters. A shake just doesn't fill me up. Iím sure itís tasty; I just think BistroMD could have provided a better snack choice.

BistroMD at Work
If you are used to popping a JC lunch into the microwave at work, be prepared to do some higher level of prep with the BistroMD meals. You can't just pop frozen BistroMD meals into the microwave. You have to soak the meals, drain extra water, remove the food from the supertoughbags, and then finally, eat the food!

Ordering Food
The BistroMD website is very 1990's. They clearly do not know what "usability" of ďdata drivenĒ means in terms of website design and development. If you sign up for the 5-day plan, be prepared to select from a 7-day plan. There is no way to submit substitutions except through phone or by email.

The Price
It isn't cheap, but cheaper than things like the Zones Chef Delivery Service. You can buy it through Sam's Club at a significant savings. However, I wanted the flexibility to make substitutions, so I'm willing to suck it up.

Weight Loss
But at the end of the day, what do we care about? Weight loss! After 7 weeks on the plan, I have lost 7 pounds. That feels pretty good!

workit120
06-17-2007, 09:15 PM
CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss!:carrot: That's great!!! It seems like every delivery program has pros and cons about it. I am excited about my DTG delivery this week. One thing I noticed is that they want you to order for the next week by Friday. I might not get my order until Thursday so I won't know if I like the food yet. I have gone over all of the menus and BistroMD sounds the best, but the one that is the closest to how I usually eat is DTG. I just eat fattening dinners and desserts instead of healthy food. If I can stick to it - it could help me learn to eat the right portions and much healthier at night. The BistroMD has too much lean protein and veggies for me right now. I am not used to eating like that all the time. It reminds me of the Atkins diet. I have tried to eat like that before (alot of lean protein and veggies) and I start to shake and get headaches. My whole family gets like that. All of the delivery programs sound good but based on what I think might be an easier transition compared to how I eat now... I think DTG is a good choice. It sounds like the biggest complaint is the lack of reheating instructions. I hope I don't get frustrated with that. I will probably get bored with the 4 weeks of food and then it repeats. I will probably switch to another delivery service. It is nice that we have that option. I never had any idea that so many of these services existed until I came here! I love this forum!!! Even though you are on BistroMD and I am getting DTG ... it would be nice if we could still support each other and cheer each other on:) I would love to have a diet buddy or buddies (if anyone else is interested).

Suzanne, thank you for your help too:thanks:

staciec878
06-17-2007, 09:37 PM
I had to stop JC because it was too expenisive for me, and maybe I could have stood it longer, but the frozen food was just getting to me. But having someone cook for me and deliver it to me? If I could afford it, I would probaly try it.

workit120
06-17-2007, 09:57 PM
I understand where your coming from! We just moved into a nicer house and we are at the end of remodeling it. My husband isn't used to the bills and everything yet (much higher than our last house). He is not very thrilled about me spending $500+ on food a month just for me. I think he is hoping it will be like when I tried Nutisystem for two weeks and quit. I have heard that Diet to Go is MUCH better so I am hoping that it is the perfect solution for me.:) Have you tried Nutrisystem? I believe it is much cheaper than JC.

kerfuffle
06-19-2007, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the support. I'm very excited about the weight loss. I certainly hear you about the differences between Diet-to-Go and Bistro MD. I really didn't have a big problem with the Diet to Go food...I seemed to remember they had a very tasty tuna melt, but I did not like having directions. But I think with these plans, there is only so many menu options that they can possibly rotate. I have a feeling I'll be trying all of them, just for the variety. I'm sure that in a few months, I won't want to see any chicken! I've never tried Nutrisystem, mostly because my friends who were on it weren't able to stick to it. I did actually like the Jenny Craig food...but I just tired of it.

Sam's Club sells the Bistro food at a discount. Though it isn't cheap, I justify the expense by firmly believing (and convincing myself) that this is a small price to pay for health. I think that it is very expensive (social cost/health wise/emotionally) to be overweight in this society. So well, that's how I say, "I deserve this!" Perhaps my credit card won't agree, but it's my self-talk...

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=348106

workit120
06-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Kerfuffle,
I completely agree about how you justify spending your money on a personal chef. I was just telling my friend the other night that if I was going to spend money on anything it should probably be my health. We all spend money on so much junk (cars, homes, plastic surgery, hair, nails, spa treatments, clothes, etc). It makes much more sense to spend it on getting healthy.

It does take a huge toll on us to be overweight in this society. I hate going out to any place that I might see someone I know from the past. How sad is that? I live on the coast in a resort area and there is alot of competition to stay thin because of bathing suit season.:beach: I lived in St. Louis for a while when I was a teenager and it was not like that at all. To make things worse - I used to be a model in my 20s and now I have gained so much weight that people don't even recognize me. I just can't take the look of shock on their faces when I run into people. I hate it. Anyway - I received my DTG package this morning. They tell you to start with dinner on the first day, but I started with breakfast so that I could have my calories counted for me today. So far I have had breakfast and lunch and they were really good. Dinner and dessert is where I fall off track everyday so I am a little nervous about tonight. :stress:

workit120
06-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi! I just finished my first week on DTG and I have lost 4 lbs. :carrot: I still have a really long way to go! It was pretty easy on DTG. I was hungry at night since I usually ate the bulk of my food for the day at night. Wow, were my portions out of control! It brought back memories of when I really used to eat normal sized portions that looked like the DTG portions. I am getting used to eating like this. The nice thing is that I don't feel deprived. The food is really good! I haven't had any trouble with my meals so far. They do include reheating instructions. My husband was jealous of my meals so he had me order him a week of just lunch and dinner in 1600 cal. They did a good job of making the changes he requested, but they sent him the same size meals that I order on the 1200 cal. 3 meals a day. That is only 700-800 cal. in his 2 meals for the day. Not enough for a man! Now I am having trouble getting through to customer service. He wants to cancel. They also sent a notice that stated that they will be raising their prices on July 10. :?: I don't think it will stop me from sticking with it as long as I continue to lose weight :) How is everyone else doing?

StillTryin
07-02-2007, 05:04 PM
I have thought about trying DTG, but I need to eat dinner with my family. I wish you could just get the breakfast and lunch portions of it.

StillTryin
07-03-2007, 04:55 PM
OK, after I posted this I called DTG and asked them about just breakfast/lunch and they do not do that because it isnt feasable (profitable) for them. So what I did is order 1 week of the 3 meals per day. So I will eat breakfast every other day and lunch every day with thier food, on the odd day when I do not have thier breakfast, I will just have a bowl of cereal (I like my cereal anyways) then save my dinners for the next week and use them for lunch. This way I get 2 weeks worth of food for the price of 1 week. I will just have to make sure I be VERY careful at dinner time with my family. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

workit120
07-03-2007, 09:08 PM
It sounds like a good plan to me! I hope you do well! If it works..... it will probably cost less than any other plan you could try.

To answer your question about the taste of the food..... I think it is personal preference. It depends on what you are used to eating and what you expect. I think the food is really good. I have only tried Nutrisystem and that was terrible. I am on my third week of DTG and haven't had any trouble sticking to it. The good thing is that if you don't like it..... you can cancel.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-blue3/slider-scaleblue/lb/200/135/194/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

Amarantha2
07-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Do they pack this food in ice? :)

workit120
07-04-2007, 03:57 PM
It comes frozen in a styrofoam cooler packed in dry ice. There is also a smaller cardboard box that contains your nonfrozen stuff like whole fruit, fruit juice, breadsticks, condoments, etc. that is just packed with an ice pack.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-blue3/slider-scaleblue/lb/200/135/194/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

StillTryin
07-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Well my first shipment should be here today or tomorrow. I wish I had a tracking number, I will have to check to website to see if you get one. I am excited to try it. God knows something should work, right?

workit120
07-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Of course it will work! :)

I was irritated at how vague they were with when you will receive your shipment. Might be shipped Mon. or Tues. and could take 3 days to arrive. I called to see if they could tell me exactly when they were shipping it out. She looked at the computer and told me. I am only three hours away from them so mine only takes 1 day to get here. I usually get an email from UPS on the morning it goes onto the truck to be delivered.

StillTryin
07-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Workit120-
This is the way I see it. I main problem is that I have a family to eat with at night. I try to do good even then, but around 7-9pm I get the "munchies" so I need to concour that battle. I do not want to spend a small fortune either because that takes away from my family budget...that is why I am thinking of stretching my meals to last 2 weeks, that way it is cheaper than the other meal replacement plans out there.
What do you think? How much have you lost again?

Amarantha2
07-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the info, Workit! I was thinking of trying DTG just for the great convenience, but don't think it would stand up to being left on my porch for even an hour, since it is usually in triple digit heat here.

workit120
07-05-2007, 08:26 PM
StillTryin, I think it is worth a try. You just have to be careful about dinner. You could do well for breakfast and lunch and then eat more than you think at dinner.
I know what you are saying about the munchies at night. I used to eat most of my calories at night between dinner and dessert (I love sugar). I am much heavier than you so I eat my DTG and a couple hundred calories in dessert. As my weight goes down towards yours... I will have to give up dessert. :( I am on my third week of DTG and I lost 6lbs in the first two weeks.I weigh myself on Tue.

workit120
07-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Sorry about that last post. I accidentally hit send. Anyway, I took off for the fourth of July so I don't expect to lose this week. I think you have done a great job of losing the weight that you have taken off already!!! That had to be hard.
I just switched to the 1200 cal. lunch and dinner plan because my doctor put me on a med. grade shake twice a day (gross) for health problems. They equal the calories of the DTG breakfast so I will drink one for breakfast and one later to even out my calories. If I ate all three meals and the shakes... I would take in too many calories to lose weight.
None of this is easy but you have done great so far! I know you can do it! If you don't see results... you can always cancel.
Oh, did you set it up as a every other week order? They automatically make it a weekly delivery once you order. Wasn't sure if you realized that and didn't want you to get a delivery next week.

Amarantha, the reason they pack it in dry ice is because it doesn't melt in hot temperatures. You could always call and ask them about it. I would think that they deliver all over the South. You could try a week and see what you think. :)

Amarantha2
07-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks, Workit! :wave: But I was crazy to even consider it. Even dry ice doesn't last long where I live if I don't take food delivery packages in right away. It'd be great if they had a pickup station here. Maybe someday.

Good luck on your program!

StillTryin
07-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Amarantha-Maybe you could have them deliver it to your work, that is what I do, since our UPS guy doesnt get to our house until about 5pm, it would have to sit in his HOT truck all day! This way it is at least in the air conditioning of my office with me when it arrives.

Workit- I need to call them this morning and tell them not to send any this week then when I am ready to make it a regular thing I will call them and start it up on a every other week delivery. I kinda wish they shipped on Fridays since then you would get it like Monday..but I guess it is better than the food sittin all weekend waiting...

workit120
07-06-2007, 03:07 PM
StillTryin,
Did you get your shipment today? I think they have to send it out on Mon. or Tue. because UPS doesn't run on the weekends. Mine is shipped on Mon. and it arrives on Tue. so it isn't too bad.

Amarantha,
Too bad about the DTG/heat situation. :( Maybe in the future you could find something that works for you. The convenience is very nice. It is the easiest thing I have ever tried. No weighing, measuring, grocery lists, cooking, etc. I have lost weight eating healthy in the past but having to do all of those things does add stress to the situation.

StillTryin
07-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Yes it arrived today, I only got the 5 day supply so I put all of the meals into the freezer and the "sides/extra" stuff in the crisper at home, I will bring in a 5 meals to work on monday and use the breakfast every other day. So I have 2 "work weeks" worth of meals. It sure looks good, I am excited to try it monday.

Amarantha2
07-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks, Still Tryin', good idea about delivering it to work, but I work on the road or in my home office most of the time and don't have a regular schedule. I think that's a great idea for those who work in an AC'd place on a schedule, though. It'd be something to look forward to during the workday, getting your meals.

Workin' It, yea, I hear ye 'bout how it would help with the stress of trying to "diet" when juggling food, etc.; I think it'd be like being Oprah with a chef or somethin' get my meals already picked out and delivered. :)

Today I was browsin' the "diet" food sections of my favorite grocery and realized they have extensive selections there, more than most stores I regularly shop in. So I started to think of it as my personal Diet Home Delivery Pickup Shoppe and bought a lot of selections. I don't usually buy the "diet" food, but really need some prepackaged convenience in my life right now. So we'll see if this plan works out.

workit120
07-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Amarantha,
That sounds like a great plan. As long as it is healthy, low fat, and low cal. you can do it! You have lost alot of weight already! I don't know if this would help you or not - when I first started DTG I knew that I needed more than 1200 cal. and less than 1600 cal. I Google searched "How many calories do I need a day" and there are alot of websites that tell you how many calories you need in order to lose weight. It is based on age, height, gender, and activity level. You sound like you are on the go alot. DTG cooks the food and counts the calories for us. You could get your premade diet food at the store and count the calories for yourself. Then you will have what everyone else has with these diet plans.:)

StillTryin
07-09-2007, 10:15 AM
well today is going to be the tester week. I start the DTG meals today. I am excited but also a little nervous. I have to say I may end up switching to just the lunch/dinners if I do keep with it, since from what I see so far the breakfast is nothing more than what I can already do. So we shall see.
Wish me luck!!!

workit120
07-09-2007, 04:44 PM
StillTryin - Good Luck!!! I'll be cheering for you!:cheer2:

StillTryin
07-10-2007, 10:55 AM
OK today I had the Cran-Orange Muffin, ewwww not the best, very dense and very BLAH. But the lunch was good yesterday. I did my weigh in today and was down 1 lb. So that helps me want to stick it out.

StillTryin
07-10-2007, 03:34 PM
WOW, still not impressed, my lunch was a chicken salad sandwich on a kaiser roll. Sounds good right? Well it was soggy as crap, the sides were also not the best. I did eat the sandwich since that is what I have here to eat, but I can tell I will be hungry at dinner for something better.
Tomorrow is another day with it. I am going to stick it out and see how the days to come go.

beckym123
07-10-2007, 05:23 PM
I have been very dissapointed in the DTG customer service. I was on DTG for 2 weeks, and then put the diet on hold for a week while on 4th of July vacation. Not one order I placed was correct. Instead of signing me up for the 5 day lunch/dinner, the data entry people messed up and had me down for 7 day full plan!!! Each time I called they assured me my corrections were made, and I should not have any further issues. Well each week since then has been wrong. I never recieved the proper subsitutions, or the correct credits. I just recieved my credit card bill....and there were no credits!!! I was billed wrong for the 1st week, and I was billed for all the wrong meals. Make sure you check your bill!!!!

The food was ok....but not worth the hastle, and billing.

StillTryin
07-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Yeah I do not think I am going to order again, I ordered the 5 day full plan and for what it is I can make a weeks worth of lunches and freeze them like they do. Especially since the food isnt spectacular. So I will just figure out some time to make 5 lunchs ahead of time on Sunday and freeze 3 of them and bring it all to work on Monday. I Bring all my lunches on Monday that way when I am rushed the rest of the week I do not get to work and have the "crap I forgot lunch, oh-well may as well order out". But I am going to finish my DTG I have 2 weeks of lunches since I do not eat the dinners at home I use them for lunch at work. I will use the rest of the breakfasts this week though.

Mirtika
07-11-2007, 09:48 AM
I started up again with Diet To Go. I had tried it earlier in the year, just not to cook. I also tried Bistro MD, but I got so sick of chicken and I didn't like the flavor. I do like the vegetarian Diet To Go, but only when I substitute a lot (ie, take out all the soy dinners and the ones I don't like, and order more of the stuff I like.)

I didn't order the low-fat (the menu didn't do it for me, since I can't eat seafood and I don't like turkey, so it meant TOO MUCH CHICKEN ). The vegetarian suits me cause I love cheese and beans and pasta and eggs, and the diet features quite a bit of those.

I had problems with orders being wrong earlier in the year (and got credited), but it's been smooth sailing so far for the last three weeks. I've lost 4 pounds, but I haven't followed it perfectly. I've overeaten stuff eating out. Sigh.

Still, I would say if you're going to do DTG, definitely do the vegetarian. And the breakfasts are nice. Those blueberry and those apple pancakes and soy sausages are very tasty. (Waffles are not. Bland and dry). And the yogurt/muffins and pleasant. IT's also nice that you can have a dessert with some of the options: brownies, angel food cake, peach crisp (not that crisp), and a thing with mandarin oranges and a vanilla pudding mixed together that I like.

I wouldn't do Bistro MD again, though. I really found the lack of whole grains and the overabundance of chicken distasteful....not to mention boring.

I think once healthier, less salty options become available in frozen foods, it will be hard for these companies to keep customers. Right now, I use DTG cause it's got a fresher taste and less salt than buying frozen, pre-measured meals. Although, for those who like pasta, I tried KASHI's pesto penne primavera and liked it a whole lot. Nice fiber content, good pesto flavor, whole grain pasta. A winner.

Ultilmately, these plans are not solutions. They are things to try and learn portion control again, to get remotivated, or to give a person a breather from shopping and cooking (that's why I signed up again, since I'm working on a novel and want to finish it before fall is done, so I dont want to take time to cook right now or go to the grocer's two and three times a week). Or all three.

Me, I keep forgetting portions. I really do have portion creep issues. And I hate shopping and cooking. So, for now, it's one tool. It's not a lifetime thing and it's not perfect.

But yeah, I'd stay away from the DTG low-carb. Tried it. YUCK. Vegetarian is nicer, much. :)

Mir

StillTryin
07-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Portion control is not my issue at all, infact it is rare that I actually finish any meal. But I like to SNACK and I love FATTY FRIED FOOD, SALTY FOOD, SWEETS, you name it.....so for me personally it is about learning how to substitute healthier snacks.

StillTryin
07-11-2007, 12:45 PM
OMG I just tried the "Cinnamon Power Bar" UGGGG, it was GROSS, I took one bite and threw the rest away, it was DRY and tasted like....well it was just NOT good. So sure hope that lunch is better today, it is the Turkey pastrami on Rye, and I know I will be HUNGRY then, since the Bar was not good.

beckym123
07-12-2007, 11:52 AM
I was doing DTG with one of my friends, after 2 weeks we figured out that we good make better tasting meals that were healthier. DTG does not really use whole grains (only a multi grain dry roll....which only seemed to be good toasted). I like whole wheat pasta (especially the trader joe's kind), and kinda got used to it from doing WW many times around. Portion size is key with this diet, since the food itself is not really all that healthy, it's just small portions. I am trying to train my body back into eating smaller portions. When i did WW, I got so used to getting "more bang for my buck", so i would eat HUGE salads and other things because i could. Then, when i went off WW, my body was used to these huge portions, so when i cheated i cheated big!!

I like the idea of DTG, convenient and easy....but expensive, bad customer service, and the food's just so so...

My friend and I have already made our own meal plan for 4 weeks. We are going to trade off dinners, and make our own lunches.

StillTryin
07-12-2007, 12:15 PM
yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I think this weekend I am going to our major city's grocery store to get some whole grain buns, and some low fat meats to make sandwiches for lunch's next week. I can also definately do a better job than what they have done. But it was worth a try.

gina1221
07-12-2007, 08:56 PM
hhhmmmm... I just finished my first week of DTG and I only had one meal that I didn't like (the meatloaf and that was just a texture thing I couldn't get around). I absolutely loved the chicken fajita dinner. I'm doing 1200 cal breakfast, lunch, and dinner 5 day plan.

It is kind of expensive but I definitely prefer it to Nutrisystem (:barf:)... and I agree that customer service is pretty bad. My first order was wrong and my second order was missing my substitution... but nothing so bad that I wouldn't give them another try. I want to try it for a full rotation of the 4 weeks and then I will probably switch to just the lunch and dinner for 5 days. I practice my portion control on weekends (so far so good).

I guess it's not for everyone but so far I'm pretty happy with it... just another perspective.

StillTryin
07-14-2007, 11:31 AM
OK I had the Chicken Fajita Dinner yesterday it was good. That was the first meal that I have had so far that I can actually say that about though. The 2 sandwhiches were "ok" and the breakfasts, like I mentioned, ewww.

I bought some whole grain bread last night and some lean turkey/chicken so I am going to try to make some sandwhiches this weekend and freeze them like they do for next week and see how that goes.

houseelf
07-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Okay, I just had to jump in here. I have tried just about all of the diet delivery programs. I did JC using a lot of the frozen foods for about 3 months. I had slow steady progress with that. The DTG is actually costing me less than JC due to the fact that I don't have any add ons to purchase, plus the order is a little cheaper than my usual JC order. I have ordered the nutri system food - I say ordered because I could not bring myself to eat much of it. And now I am on to Diet to Go. And I LOVE it. I have the traditional 1200 calorie plan without subs. I found out quick that the food was much better in the oven than the microwave due to the moisture. They seem to really put a lot of effort into the flavor.

I am sure that I could cook something comparable, and I WILL do that once I have lost the weight. Right now I am looking for something that is convenient and that gives me no wiggle room because I obviously do not do well when left to my own devices. I honestly did not think I was eating much before I began any of these 1200 calorie programs, and I LOVE healthy food (but have a sweet tooth :( ). Now I know that I was obviously eating much more than I thought because at 1200 calories, I am usually in a constant state of slight hunger. I can deal with that as long as the scale reflects the suffering. ;)

Well, I just wanted to throw my experience out there.

houseelf
07-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Oh, I forgot to add that they now have cooking instructions on the back of each package. I have read that they did not have them, so this must be a recent change. Don't forget - the oven is much better than the microwave!

workit120
07-19-2007, 12:56 AM
I have to agree with Houseelf. I like DTG. None of the delivery programs are all that great and they all have drawbacks. I never used to eat muffins before this so I guess I don't know the difference between good muffins and bad muffins. I used to eat yogurt or a bowl of Cherios for breakfast so getting an omlet, pancakes, muffins, etc. is like a little treat to me. Some of the meals are things I would never eat so I just sub those. Some of them don't taste very good to me so I sub those too.
I have been on DTG for a month and I cheated 10 times!!! I still lost 7 lbs. I think that is pretty good for 20 days. I have a sweet tooth too and I am having trouble controling it. I get hungry at night since that is when I used to eat a big dinner and dessert. I have the worst lack of willpower.
I also heat my meals in the oven. I don't cover them. I pour off any excess water from thawing and cook them in the oven. I only microwave the chili or things like that. I would imagine that makes a difference since it probably makes them taste more like a freshly baked dinner that you made yourself.

gina1221
07-24-2007, 01:00 PM
I guess I just need to vent...

I've received three shipments from DTG and each one has been incorrect or had some type of problem. I have been charged for substitutions that I did not receive, I have received the wrong calorie allotment, food for the wrong number of days, juice containers arrived empty, and of course, I have not received re-imbursement for their errors nor have I received credit for their special offer of "free meals" even though it shows on my invoice they charged my card the full amount. And now they are not responding to my emails. Unfortunately, it has come to the point that I have given them until tomorrow to get it ALL corrected or I will have to go with another service and file a complaint with the BBB.

Is it just me or is anyone else having these types of problems with them?

I have mostly enjoyed the food but don't like paying for things I'm not getting. :mad:

workit120
07-24-2007, 02:24 PM
gina1221,

Do you know where your service is located? Mine is in Lorton, VA and they have been pretty good. They have made all of my changes and the charges have been correct. I keep waiting for it to turn into a disaster after all of the horror stories I keep reading about. Last week they sent me all of the breakfast sides when I didn't order breakfast and the extras for a 1600 cal. meal.

My husband had a problem with them. He ordered the 1600 cal. meal plan with 2 meals a day. They make it sound like you can get 1600 cal. even if you only eat 2 meals a day. He put the order in Sun. night and their cut off day is Fri. at noon. It was really too late. The shipment arrived for him on Tues. anyway. It was all meals for the 1200 cal. plan. None of the extra sides were there. It was a mess. I called them and got the run around. They finally said that they would charge him for the 1200 cal. 2 meals. They did put the difference back on the credit card. I told them that he forgot to put in the code to receive his $18.00 off of his first order and they said that they would put that on their as well. They didn't. He gave the meals to me and gave up. He only eats twice a day and the 2 meals for 1600 cals. is only part of the whole days cals. He wouldn't get nearly enough calories for one day. There would only be 1000 - 1100 calories a day in those 2 meals and that is not even enough for a woman - much less a man!

I was ordering the 2 meals 1200 cal. plan. I had to add a medical shake that my doctor was making me drink. I switched back this week to the full 3 meal 1200 cal. plan. I reordered online with the 3 meals instead of 2. A woman from DTG called and actually had the nerve to tell me that I need to CALL in my changes because she has to call and verify all of the online orders and it was inconvenient for her to have to call me when I already have a standing order. I told her that I reordered with 3 meals instead of 2 and she said that I need to call that in the next time. I was a little shocked. She was kind of rude and pissy because it irritated her that I had put in my order online.:rolleyes:

So far, they haven't done anything so bad that it would make me leave. I do like the food and would like this to be the answer I have been looking for. Nutrisystem and JC have their acts together much more than DTG, but I prefer this food.

gina1221
07-25-2007, 11:18 AM
workit120 -

My service is out of Lorton, VA also. I finally got a response from them yesterday after I wrote and said that if I hadn't heard from them by today at noon then I would stop using their service. They have offered about $60 credit for all of the issues and were very apologetic. I will give it another couple of weeks and see if it improves any, otherwise I will try the eDiets Deliciously Yours program.

For DTG, I have been submitting my changes online and no one has said that I need to call but then again I haven't received any of my requested substitutions either... hhhmmmm. They will definitely lose me if I have to start calling in every change.

Here's hoping they get their act together soon. It sounds like most people like the food but the service definitely needs improving.

Thanks for letting me vent yesterday. :D

workit120
07-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Gina 1221,

I jinxed myself! I had one meal that was wrong yesterday. My sub was on the print out sheet, but I got the regular meal instead. I just called them and they were very nice. They credited me for the meal and said that it would be applied to my next order.

I don't know why you have had such a problem with them. They have answered the phone every time I have called - except once. Then, two people called me back to see what I needed.

That women who told me to call in was talking about when I buy my entire 1200 cal. meal package. Not the weekly changes. I submit my meal changes online. I always make sure that I submit them by Wed. Maybe that helps - I don't know. It doesn't make any sense that I have had pretty good customer service and you haven't when we are dealing with the same place.:?:

sweatpea
07-27-2007, 07:53 PM
I have found that when calling in I am unable to reach an operator if I press option 2 for customer service. I always press option 1 for first-time buyers and asked to be transferred to an operator. It usually takes me two calls to get a hold of a live person. I have a feeling that there are plenty more sales people for first-time buyers, than customer service people for existing customers.