Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/163.5/130

Default So frustrated

My weight just refuses to budge. It goes up a pound, down a bit, but seems to hover aroudn 163 and has for the last few months. Recently I started really pushing the cardio and logging my food, but it's not helping!!

I am so frustrated with this, I thought counting calories would help! For reference I am eating about 1300-1500 cals a day and walking 3-4 miles or doing a Turbo Jam. Eating more doesn't really seem to help, I just put on more weight. ARGH!!!!
AnneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Try dropping your calories then. Drop them to 1200 for a week or two and see if that helps to get your weight back going down. I did that one week about 3 weeks ago. I only ate about 700 calories for about 4 days and even as i started back eating more calories, my weight still dropped a couple ounces everyday. (I am not recommending dropping your calories to 700. I only did it because i was so upset over something personal in my life and when i am upset, i don't eat. But as I started feeling better, i started feeling more like eating. So please don't drop them down that low.) But dropping to 1200 for a week or two would be okay. Then maybe if your weight starts to drops you can start to maybe up your calories by 50 each week until you get back to 1300 or 1400.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/192/150

Hi Anne I am not sure what kind of diet you are on but I must say I feel your pain. I see no results and I also have upped my cardio and have lowered my calorie intake and yet no results. There are times when I feel like giving up and just eat what I want but I know that would be worse because I gain weight just by breathing in food. I try to eat low carb and eat fruits and Veggies. As of last week I upped my Cardio. I know 30 min a day isn't going to work so now I am trying to get at least 50 min. I am on the Fat Smash diet but I have just been having the most awful cravings. I just wanted to drop by and let you know I understand and hopefully all our hard work will pay off.
Fashion Nelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

FWIW I stopped working out due to an injury and did not change my intake and i started losing....

sometimes we so underestimate what we need to eat in order to lose esp if we are working out hard.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

First, continue tracking what you are eating and logging it somewhere. And make sure you track EVERYTHING you eat - every bite. You'd be amazed at how fast an extra bite here and there adds up! I agree with lumifan4ever that if you're not losing at 1300-1500 calories, that means you need to go lower, at least for a while. Everyone requires a different calorie level to lose at. Losing weight is a scientific process that is the result of having more calories going out than are going in ... if you're not losing weight either your calorie level isn't low enough OR you're kidding yourself about how much you're eating and you're really eating more than you think. It's easy to do! Everybody misjudges what they eat, if they aren't really meticulous in keeping records.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:46 PM   #6  

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am keeping very detailed records for the last few weeks. I am just fed up at this point!

Last edited by AnneH; 06-15-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:39 AM   #7  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

At first sight, I'd say either drop your calories by 100-200, or maybe up your exercise/change your routine (for instance, add 5-10 minutes of jogging in the middle of your walks). It's hard to tell, of course, since our bodies are all different and do'nt react the same way, but that *could* work.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
FWIW I stopped working out due to an injury and did not change my intake and i started losing....

sometimes we so underestimate what we need to eat in order to lose esp if we are working out hard.
I've heard of this happening to other people I know, too. I think exercise is great for toning and general fitness. However, I think weight loss is mainly affected by eating. Just my humble opinion.

AnneH, have you tried cycling your calories (i.e., eating the same number of calories overall each week, but eating a different number each day)? For example, if you were on a 1500-calorie-a-day diet, that would equal 10,500 calories a week. You could eat 1000 calories one day, 1400 the next, 2000 the next, etc. I do this just because I like to have more calories on some days than others. However, I've read about many people who've broken through plateaus by doing this.
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there! Don't be discouraged! You aren't gaining, and that's a good thing!

Me, I'm just an old fogey who doesn't believe in upping calories to lose weight and doesn't believe in cycling. I hit a stuck place for awhile, and when I went back over what I'd been doing, I found that my calories may have been averaging OK, but on a couple days a week I was, shall we say, out of range on the upper end. That can stall weight loss. Also, I was exercising a lot and I thnk I wasn't eating enough protein. So, I changed my nutrient percentages protein/carb/fat to be closer to 30/40/30.

I'd say, instead of averaging 1300-1500, drop it so that you don't go above 1400. See what happens then, after a week or two.

Keep going!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:55 PM   #10  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

hi!
I would suggest possibly taking a look at the content of your food..some people tend to stall when they eat too many starches, or evn too much fruit, even when they are well within their calories for the day.
Everyone says calories in vs calories out- which is definitely true to an extent But, we're not all machines and sometimes our bodies don't make sense..kwim? And apparently the more sugar (any form including fructose) and starches get your insulin higher than protein , fat, or non starchy veggies..making it potentially harder to lose weight. It is called the "fat-storage hormone" for a reason So maybe try upping your protein and replacing some carbs with high fiber ones.

Drink lots of water?? LOL

Weigh and measure if you aren't already to make sure you aren't adding 200cal of butter to your omelet, or 3oz of cheese instaead of one.
And sometimes I think you simply have to wait it out..let the scale cave before you do..

YOU CAN DO IT!!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:21 PM   #11  
Proud Army Mom!

S/C/G: 202/185/165

I know how you feel! I'm kinda in the same boat. I haven't posted here in a while, after gaining back some of what I lost last year (ignore the ticker weight, 'cause it is sooo wrong!) and at the moment I weigh 186. But i stopped by and saw this thread and boy can I sympathize with you at the moment. I have a chronic joint disease and on dr.'s orders I cant weight train. but i can walk and swim. so three weeks ago, I "got back on the wagon" when my MIL called and said she was buying DH and I a carnival cruise to mexico in september for us for our 20th anniversary/b-day presents. OHMYGOSH!! I gotta drop no less than 20 pounds by then. So i decided to start walking for 30 minutes every day (been reading that "You: On A Diet"). I'm now up to 1.5 miles every morning, burning an average of 150 calories, I'm taking in on average about 1300 (I use Fitday so I've been keeping a close eye on it) cals per day. and you know what?? In 3 weeks, I've not lost ONE DANGED POUND!! Not one! Talk about frustrating!!! When I didn't exercise, I dropped weight like a fiend I tell ya! So, I've been considering stopping the daily walk just to see what happens. but i hate to do that, because it's soooo good for me. I too am so frustrated that I'm about ready to give up. So anyway, I feel your pain. I know how you feel.

Last edited by mel67; 06-16-2007 at 11:27 PM.
mel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #12  

Yay - down 2 pounds again!! I took the suggestion and switched to light/no exercise for the last 2 days and stuck to my range and I'm losing!

Too bad because I really like to exercise. I will do it 2-3 days a week and take a few days off and see if that works better.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, it means a lot and really did help me keep my sanity and for those of you in the same boat - try less exercise for a while. Not sit on the couch and eat tho.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #13  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

well if you LIKE the exercise then continue to do it and INCREASE your calories. add a high quality snack....
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote