Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-14-2007, 11:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Ugh.. Why?

Things have been going so well for me. I have been totally on track for the past 5-6 weeks (longest ever), and have lost about 10.5 pounds. I have been eating very well and have felt full and satisfied every day. I haven't deprived myself of anything, and have learned to eat the things that I love in moderation. I have been a bit frustrated... because honestly, I don't look any different than I did when I was 30 pounds heavier, and I am even the same size . For a while, I was working out often, but I got frustrated and got off track, so lately I have been working on the 'eating thing' first- and planned to incorporate the gym again next month. Still, I have lost 10.5 pounds or so since getting back on track- which of course, I am proud of. However, I can't say it's not a little frustrating to feel like I look exactly the same and my clothes fit exactly the same (really, they do). So anyway.. back to my point. I know that working out should really get things moving and yadda yadda, I am aware of the logistics behind it all, it just doesn't help how I feel- kwim?

So, today is my husband's birthday and he really wanted to go to PF Changs (keep in mind we already had a 500-600 calorie breakfast out). I learned when we went for Easter that apparently everything there is SO awful for you. I mean REALLY BAD.. not a 'little bad', and there really are NO healthy options. I know now that I just should have said no! I did tell him how bad it was and tried to get out of it.. but part of me wanted to go and pig out (sick, I know). But I agreed to go. I had a few bad-but-not-absolutely-terrible items in mind, some of which they didn't even have in the end. Ugh, so I ate... a lot. Then we went out for cheesecake.. ahh. And a few minutes ago, I found myself in the fridge eating cold leftovers from dinner.. or rather, shoveling cold leftovers into my mouth without even tasting them. I don't know what came over me. I was definitely not hungry.. in fact, I feel stuffed and actually rather disgusting and have since I was still sitting in the restaurant.. like that feeling where you can almost still feel your dinner in your throat. So why on earth did I do it? Now I just feel so gross.. I can't even describe it. I don't feel like I have been depriving myself or anything so it's not that.. I don't know WHAT it is.. but I really feel sick to my stomach now. I am talking probably a 4000-5000 calorie day. Not good.

Ahhh.. what am I going to do? I seriously want to throw up (like literally) right now. I know tomorrow is another day and all... but I just don't know what came over me and it's almost scary! I feel so disgusting physically and mentally right now. I wish that you could erase a bad day.
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Don't beat yourself up too much over this! This happens to everyone from time to time. Tomorrow is another day, just get back in there and keep on going!

I don't know if this is helpful, but from my experience, I think it's more a matter of reprogramming your body/brain. You can't expect to have your body reprogrammed in only 6 weeks. It's going to take awhile and you may have some more days like this. I find it helps to consciously focus on what I'm eating. If I don't, then I just shovel it in and 5 mins later I can't remember what I ate (or at least what it tasted like.) Mindless eating is a habit, habits can be broken, but it may take a little time. Keep working at it and soon it'll be easier! I don't view "off-plan" days as failure, I view giving up as failure. As hard as it is try to keep positive. You can do this!

I don't know what plan (or lifestyle change) you are doing, but I always thought that PF Changs had a lot more healthy options then most Chinese places. You can order brown rice, the Buddha's Delight can be ordered steamed, and I've ordered the chicken wraps as my entree before. Have you looked at their website? The calorie counts on there are for the entire dish, so if you split it with other people it's not so bad.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:32 AM   #3  

This is what I had (ahhhh).

Half:
Shrimp Dumplings (Pan Fried) (330 cal/13 g fat/0 g fiber/26 g carbs)
(the steamed aren't much better)

All of this, after shoveling the rest in my mouth tonight, yuck:
Crispy Honey Chicken (Dinner) (1110 cal/39 g fat/0 g fiber/121 g carbs)

I would say 1/4 of this:
P.F. Chang's Fried Rice Chicken (1220 cal/44 g fat/0 g fiber/151 g carbs)

1/2 of this:
Garlic Snap Peas (210 cal/10 g fat/0 g fiber/23 g carbs)

And then there was the cheesecake at a french bistro afterward. My breakfast was 600 calories, I believe. I guess my day wasn't THAT terrible.. about 2300 before the cheesecake. So maybe it was only around a 3000 calorie day if I am lucky.. which isn't THAT terrible, really. Tons of carbs though. I feel a bit better now.. I actually got sick shortly after posting before (not intentionally, don't worry!) and feel a bit better now. You better believe that I will be getting back on track tomorrow! I definitely don't want to gain back anything I have worked so hard to lose.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Sweetheart, I know it's tough, but you just have to keep on going.

Did you take any before pictures? Have you been taking measurements?

Even if you don't like working out, even half an hour walk every couple of days would be beneficial. Is there anything that you enjoy doing that could help with your exercise?

I know that when I first lost weight, I started at 234 and I could STILL wear the same pants at 190. My stomach is definately my problem area.

You see yourself everyday... so of course it's going to be hard to notice a difference. I swear I look exactly the same as I did at my starting weight, but I know that is impossible.

Persistence is key... just keep on going. I know it's rough, but, it's part of the journey.

Good luck.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:06 AM   #5  

Yes.. I did take before pictures (I really look the same, lol!).. and measurements. I have lost 5 inches in my hips and 2 in my waist.. but I am exactly the same size and honestly don't look any different, and clothes fit exactly the same! My hips/stomach are definitely my problem area as well. I don't mind working out, but I really haven't had the time in my life to commit to it- so I wanted to get the food thing down again first before I got back into the gym, hopefully next month! It's a million degrees here, so being outside any longer than necessary is pretty much out.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:23 AM   #6  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

I can probably tell you exactly what your problem is.

I just bet, since breakfast, you have felt guilty for the rest of the day
for enjoying the day without dieting, right? You've put on so much
pressure on yourself to be GOOD everyday, that when a special occasion
comes up like today, you hate yourself?

STOP. RIGHT. NOW!!!!! Just stop beating yourself up for being like any
other person enjoying one day without dieting.

This is what I do, I don't know if it will help you, but here goes:

My diet is calorie counting. I cycle my calories around everyday. Sunday
was my youngest daughter's birthday, so I planned ahead, shaved some
calories off of the day before and day after, so I could enjoy the day
with her without feeling "bad". I didn't go overboard, and neither did the
rest of my family, as we're all on the same "diet" if you will. I told my
kids- enjoy today! A birthday is a special day, and we have five of them
within the year. The next two don't come up until November, so we have
plenty of "dieting" to do inbetween.

Oh, and you know what? We're going to my brother-in-law's wedding next
week, which is in Texas- we're from New Hampshire. So, we all decided
we're going to enjoy the rehearsal dinner as well as the wedding dinner by
taking extra walks, swimming, and shifting our calories around so that we
can enjoy the meals without feeling guilty. Why should we feel guilty for
being like everybody else? Think that the skinny minis of this world drive
themselves crazy over a small piece of wedding cake? This is an event,
along with our birthdays, that I consider "special". Rather than feel
guilty about it, we're just merely going to shift calories around, get in
some fun exercise, and enjoy it. How many times will their uncle get
married? Once. So, we're going to enjoy it!

Fourth of July- same thing. We won't go crazy, but we will have a nice
picnic lunch at the Kang (one of our favorite summer swimming holes up
here) and have a nice BBQ at home with friends, with a golden cake topped
with whipped cream, strawberries, blueberries, and oranges. That may sound funny, but my
three kids love three different fruits, so I compromise and put 1/3 of
each fruit on, so they can all enjoy it. No guilt, we will somewhere make
up for it.

The other night, at my daughter's sports banquet- they had a BBQ that we
didn't know about ahead of time. My youngest two looked at me, and I said
"go ahead! we'll just take a two mile walk when we get home." That's
exactly what we did, and they enjoyed it very much. They were careful,
taking one hot dog, small handful of chips, and an ice cream sandwich,
which was 120 calories I saw on the package. I didn't have one, but I had
a hotdog, some macaroni salad (about 1/4 of a cup), and a handful of
chips. We were all full from the BBQ, so we didn't need any dinner or
snack afterwards.

Now, we could have walked out, and my kids would have missed out-
especially my oldest daughter, who has several friends that are graduated
and she may not see them again after the summer. Would it have been worth
the 600 calories to pull them away from this event, and set them up for a
lifetime of feeling guilty anytime they enjoy something like everybody
else, or do I let them enjoy it, like we all did, and watch them portion
control themselves, without guilt? See where I am going with this?

We feel so damn guilty about small things in life. I was thinking about
how many "special occasions" there are this year coming up- birthdays,
holidays, and one wedding. I counted 14 days total out of 365 days. I am
not going to beat myself up for enjoying them, and those that I know ahead
of time, I will plan for by eating less calories for a week or two before
it happens or a week before and week after. Things that come up
unexpectedly like the BBQ at DD's sports banquet the other night- enjoy it, just portion control it so you don't overdue it, and shave off about 50 calories a day and work it off by exercising until you've made up the difference.

Now, isn't that better than feeling guilty?

Oh, and don't feel bad about pant sizes- you're losing it elsewhere, so
relax. Your face, hands, arms, chest, legs, ankles- many, many parts of
the body are dropping that weight off- be proud of yourself! Eventually,
you WILL see the difference! Today, I had some lady who works at the
grocery store ask my children as well as myself if we had all been
dieting. We smiled and said yes, and she said it showed on all of us! None
of us feel we look any different, but that's because we see ourselves
everyday, so we won't notice the difference right now on ourselves. But,
others do, and that's all the proof you need to know that it's all worth
it in the long run. Oh, and you still won't see a huge difference
in photos yourself, because you're biased. I bet if you put pictures up of
before and after right now, we could all pick out the areas that you've
lost and see the difference.

Hang in there! I hope you feel better, and stop feeling guilty for being
human! Just make up for it somewhere else, and enjoy the memory of having
someone else cook for you, lol.

Last edited by Steelslady; 06-15-2007 at 04:31 AM.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Steelslady made a good point... that weight has to be coming from somewhere!!! You're so much closer to your goal now!
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:43 AM   #8  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypurple View Post
Steelslady made a good point... that weight has to be coming from somewhere!!! You're so much closer to your goal now!
Exactly. Not to mention, just about every woman I know has the same problem- the stomach and butt areas are the last to go. My best friend has a tiny torso, but big stomach and butt with thinner legs. Anytime she diets, it is agony for her emotionally, because the top part of her body is tiny compared to her butt and stomach. I told her, she gives up too quickly- got to give it more time for the fat to burn off of those areas. Women are prone to gain most of it there, and for some reason, it's always the last to go, making us feel frustrated because the pant sizes aren't coming down as fast as we would like.

I sure can relate, as I have the same problem. When I weighed 190 back 12 years ago, my torso was skinny, as well as my arms and legs, but I had a bubble butt and a super sized stomach, lol. I was just getting down to 170 and finally losing in those areas when I got pregnant with my youngest. Of course, I haven't seen the single digits since then, unfortunately, but I am determined that by this time next year, I will be in those digits again.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:43 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey MAMA2!

Yeah, I wondered how that birthday "day" was going to turn out.

I've got a couple of comments. First, if you're like me, your waist will be the last thing to slim down. I could wear a size 14 or even 12 now easily if it weren't for my waist. The good news is, the smaller you get, the quicker you'll see a difference. It's like the changes speed up. So don't give up!

Second, I'm going to go against the flow of "don't beat yourself up" a little bit. I don't think it's helpful to beat yourself up, of course, but I do think that it was a bad experience, and not something that happens to everyone now and then. Yes, I have days where I go over my calorie allotment, but I don't have days where I eat uncontrollably, which is what it sounds like happened to you.

Certain foods are a trigger! One of the worst is carbohydrates. It's like once you get going, you just want more of everything. You really experienced a binge.

Purposely throwing up is not an option. There are names for that cycle, as you know.

So the lesson here might be--you can't afford slippery slopes. You can't go into a Chinese restaurant and eat like there's no tomorrow. I'm sorry to say that people who want to lose weight AND keep it off have to be aware, always, of what they are eating and how much, and be able to put on the brakes. I have to disagree with Steelslady in this regard. I don't think of my program as "dieting," I think of it as how I eat, and there isn't any "day off." That's just a recipe for weight gain.

So pick yourself up, MAMA! Get back on track and learn from the experience! You can do this--just don't give up! Keep going!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:41 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

Hang in there! I'm convinced that when you get to a point where you're getting disillusioned and starting to think that you're NEVER going to lose a significant amount of weight that you're really poised to take a leap forward! You have to keep pushing through, though! Remember that there will always be days you are feeling down about your diet, days when you fall off the wagon - this is something you are committing to for LIFE, and that means it won't always be perfect. That's okay! Slog through the bad days, jump back on that horse tomorrow.

Let's put this day in perspective. Let's say you ate 3000 calories. Not a great diet day, for sure! But you probably ate only 700 calories more than your normal pre-diet self. That means the MAXIMUM damage you did is to put on 1/5 of a pound! That's only .2 of a pound! Practically NOTHING! Like I said, this change is supposed to be for life - 1/5 of a pound here or there is not going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

But, anyway, as others have said ... you ARE making progress, lots of it! Look at those inches fall away! Sometimes it's hardest for us to see changes in ourselves, but you WILL see them at some point. Keep going forward. The changes are there and you are getting better every day. And besides, this is for more than just a trim waistline (though you will get that, too) ... this is to help you live a longer, healthier life. This is to help you be able to move around easier, breathe easier, sleep easier, and enjoy life!

And may I say that I think this "wait til I get the food started and joing a gym next month" stuff is bull hockey? Screw the gym! Get out your sneakers and go walk - today! And tomorrow! You need to make it a habit to incorporate movement into your life nearly every day. It will help weight loss and improve your health AND make you feel better. Go for it!
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #11  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

As for your size, I went from 220 to 190 before I went from a (very tight) 16 to fitting into SOME 14s. I think that the more you weigh, the more it takes to lose before you drop a size. Even at 175 now, I fit into some 12s, but some 14s still. The last time I took my weight loss journey, I was 230 and in 16Ws and got down to a 10 and some 8s once I was at 150. Anyway, I'm rambling and I think my point is that EVERYONE is different. You are shorter than me as well, so it may take a few more pounds before you go down a size. But THIRTY POUNDS is amazing. You should be so proud!

Second, as for the birthday day... just let it go! Move on. Today is a new day! The next time a day like that happens, remember how you felt yesterday and try to plan a little better. Drink more water. Bring a snack bar with you to have before you go into the restaurant. Order oatmeal for breakfast instead of pancakes or eggs or whatever else is on those nasty butter filled breakfast menus

Good luck, I know you can get through this!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #12  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i hear you. I can tell you that i started at 286 wearing very tight 28s. at 256 i was still in 28s. at 246 I was STILL in 28s at 236 I noticed changes.

and all of a sudden WOOSH you can see it. 30 pounds when you have to lose 100 is really not much and it really really is hard to see.

what i used to get me through is how much better I felt. how much better I can breathe how much better I can move.... how much better my blood work is....

as for PF CHANGS.... since I don't count calories but I eat whole foods I would have eaten brown rice, steamed veggies and lean protein.... and had cheesecake and no guilt...

it was one day... you just need to string good days together and over the course of a year or longer it works... it sucks that it takes so long for us but that's the way it is... and after all we have to do it for the rest of our lives...
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Mama....I have to agree with everyone else. Don't beat yourself up. But I think i really agree with JayEll...if chinese food is your downfall...you're better off skipping it. Maybe not forever, but definately until YOU start to see some improvements in your pants size and can handle sharing an entree with someone. I know you say you only went down in your waist and hips so many inches, but are you measuring everywhere?? You have to look at your body as a whole. We don't just gain weight in our belly's and hips. We gain in our face, our necks, our upper arms, our chest, our upper belly, our mid-belly, our hips, our thighs, our calves. Do you measure all of those places?? I do. Well...not my face obviously. lol. But my neck. I really did, no lie, i measured my neck. I measure all of those places, I compare and subtract and get a grand number of inches lost. I might have only lost half an inch in my waist and hips, but when I lose a half an inch in all of those places, i get a grand number of 6 inches lost. And that sounds great to me and keeps me motivated to keep going. So, please don't get discouraged. 30 pounds so far is awesome. And about the pants size. I do believe that the larger you are, the longer it takes to drop a size because they make it bigger at the larger sizes so more people can wear them. Does that make sense??? If a pants size went up every inch, pants would have to go up to like size 50. Can you imagine having to be a store that has to stock from size 0 to size 50??? That would be like 25 different size pants!!!!! Notice that some clothes go from 1xm 2x, 3x instead of numbers. Anyways, i'm just rambling. Let me stop.

Just please don't get discouraged. You are doing good. Just stay out of chinese restraunts. :-)
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:21 AM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

MAMA - I will say that you should use your bad day as a learning experience. How did you feel? You felt sick. Do you want to repeat that feeling in the future? I don't think you do.

I eat out once a week and I remember the days where DH and I'd go out to eat and we'd be super stuffed. Since weight loss is a priority for me and I enjoy eating out once in a while, I've had to try to teach myself skills on eating out. Basically, portion control, portion control and portion control. Choosing better options is also part of that. Part of the portion control aspect comes from practicing at home. I try to have small, healthy meals at home which I can try to translate to eating out. I don't think I've mastered eating out but I will say through practice, I'm a lot better than I used to be and I don't remember the last time which I felt overly full from eating out.

As far as losing weight and not noticing it, really I have noticed weight loss from the strangest places. Collarbones showed up, my shoes are a lot looser, etc. Fat doesn't always disappear from the places you wish it would
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:22 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Hey MAMA2!

Yeah, I wondered how that birthday "day" was going to turn out.

I've got a couple of comments. First, if you're like me, your waist will be the last thing to slim down. I could wear a size 14 or even 12 now easily if it weren't for my waist. The good news is, the smaller you get, the quicker you'll see a difference. It's like the changes speed up. So don't give up!

Second, I'm going to go against the flow of "don't beat yourself up" a little bit. I don't think it's helpful to beat yourself up, of course, but I do think that it was a bad experience, and not something that happens to everyone now and then. Yes, I have days where I go over my calorie allotment, but I don't have days where I eat uncontrollably, which is what it sounds like happened to you.

Certain foods are a trigger! One of the worst is carbohydrates. It's like once you get going, you just want more of everything. You really experienced a binge.

Purposely throwing up is not an option. There are names for that cycle, as you know.

So the lesson here might be--you can't afford slippery slopes. You can't go into a Chinese restaurant and eat like there's no tomorrow. I'm sorry to say that people who want to lose weight AND keep it off have to be aware, always, of what they are eating and how much, and be able to put on the brakes. I have to disagree with Steelslady in this regard. I don't think of my program as "dieting," I think of it as how I eat, and there isn't any "day off." That's just a recipe for weight gain.

So pick yourself up, MAMA! Get back on track and learn from the experience! You can do this--just don't give up! Keep going!

Jay
Thank you!! I just wanted to clarify that I did NOT intentionally throw up. In fact, I HATE throwing up.. it's such a creepy feeling. I actually ate so much that I made myself sick