Does it Work? - Alli - What is it, and does it work?

Suzanne 3FC
06-14-2007, 11:58 AM
What is alli? Alli is the same medication as Xenical, but in a nonprescription strength.

How does it work? Alli blocks part of the fat you consume from being absorbed. It is a "fat blocker" and can block up to 25% of the fat.

Can't I buy fat-blockers on ebay or at the health food store? It's not the same thing. The so-called "fat blockers" that have been available for years are usually chitosan and studies have shown them ineffective. Alli, on the other hand, has been proven to work. You'll probably see a lot of knock-offs hit the market soon, but don't fall for their claims!

Does this mean I can eat french fries and butter again? Sorry! Alli works with a low fat diet to help you lose weight. If you consume more fat, you'll have more unpleasant side effects.

What kind of side effects? Since alli works to block fat from being absorbed, the excess fat must leave your body. You may have oily stools, or an oily discharge, or gas with oily spotting. You may have problems controlling your stools. :o

If I have to eat a low fat diet anyway, why bother taking the pills? A lot of people have problems sticking to a low fat diet, or any diet for that matter. Alli works for you in two ways : First it will help you consume fewer calories from the meals you eat, since the calories from the blocked fat are exiting your system instead of being absorbed. Alli claims you can lose up to 50% more weight than by following the same diet without Alli. Second - Knowing you may suffer unpleasant side effects can help keep you on track so you don't overeat or cheat. It can help to change your eating behavior.

How do I know what I can eat? The alli starter pack comes with diet suggestions. You can also sign up for the alli plan online, which we think is free as long as you have a special code from your alli starter pack. Plus, there are two books you can purchase - One is called Are You Losing It? and is a small book available at drugstores or online at http://areyoulosingit.myalli.com/BuyTheBook.aspx The other is a more comprehensive book with menus and recipes called the alli Diet Plan and is available at Amazon - the link is at the right side of this page.

Does it really work? Yes, it works :) But it may not be for you. And it's not a cheap or instant way to lose weight. You'll spend a lot of money to lose a few pounds. Whether or not you choose to try it is up to you. Like every other diet option, there isn't a 'one size fits all' answer to weight loss.

If you try alli, we'd really appreciate it if you would share your experiences. Does it work for you?

NightengaleShane
06-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Eww... those side effects... don't sound like a force to be reckoned with, but if I'm desperate enough and my weight hits an unstoppable plateau, then maybe I'll try it.

onthetee
06-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Do they recommend it for a specific weight range?

bobbigene
06-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Considering the side effects that are possible, including have to make a mad dash to the bathroom, :tantrum: I would think that someone who only wants to loose those 10 pounds before the class reunion would think twice. But then again, who knows!
http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar083/slider-ard/lb/0/75/2/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/)

debalina
06-20-2007, 08:33 AM
I bought the 90 count Alli yesturday - but will start taking the pills tomorrow. It recommends starting the low fat diet 2 days before starting the pills. Ever since I saw the commercial and researched it online, I have been thinking about getting them. I kinda bought it on a whim, but 2 things made me do it. Number 1 is I need an extra boost and if I eat too much fat at a meal, I will have the "slip slide and away's" and that will teach me really fast to not do that again. :) Number 2 is I had the money and if I didn't do it yesturday, it would be another month before I could afford it.

I looked at the booklets they give you and they have some great recepies and nothing fancy that will break the bank - like some other recepie books I've seen. I'm looking forward to this and I know it's not a "miracle pill". I just wanted some help to give me inspiration. I will keep everyone posted each day.

Suzanne 3FC
06-21-2007, 11:05 AM
We've started a new thread in General Diet Plans for those taking alli. If you currently take it, please share your experiences and tips here - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115809

cuppajoe
06-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Me too!

I just bought the starter pack today and have read through the info booklets. It claims to boost your own weight loss efforts by 2 pounds per 5 pounds lost. So I went for it. I've been eating pretty low fat for 2 weeks so I feel ready to start taking it tomorrow. They recommend that you never have a meal over 15 grams total fat in it while you take this pill and NO WAY am I gonna risk those side effects!

For the curious--a 30 day supply starter pack cost me $60.00 Stay tuned! I'll post results here, too.

cuppa

Turbomer
06-24-2007, 10:29 AM
What happens when you stop taking it?

Nikki5184
06-26-2007, 12:48 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all, i'm brand new to the site. First of all, i think this a great online community! Good luck to everyone and congratulations to everyone who has already made such progress. I've seen some great inspirational stories and weight trackers on here. I'm excited to get started!

I am 23 and attempting (yet again) to lose the weight that I gained in college. I have been at my current job for almost a year and I travel a lot., which makes it hard to stay on track - but I've been making it a priority! I did South Beach for awhile and lost 15 lbs, which I've kept off. However, I plateaued. I eat pretty healthy usually and just need a kick start. I bought Alli last night and will start taking the pills this week. I think it will keep me on track and give me an extra kick in the butt to get moving at the gym. I started at the YMCA about 3 weeks ago and still going strong!

Has anyone had any of the awful side effects? Are those only associated with the slip-up "burger and fries" or can it happen with low fat foods too?

I'll keep posting my results with Alli...

tkt117
06-27-2007, 02:36 AM
Hi Nikki,
There is another forum for people taking alli which is really helpful. So far, the people that I know that have had one of the unmentionable accidents has been from eating food that is really high in fat... pizza...bratwurst... hamburgers. I have not heard of anyone having an accident that was following the plan as specified.

I have not had any problems yet and I have been taking the pill for over a week now. I am really careful about what I eat and writing it down.

Good Luck... I hope it works for you!

popcornlvr
06-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi alli friends!
I started taking alli 2 days ago and am also following WW. So far no problems, except I felt a little queasy last nite. Had chicken breast for dinner, low fat too. I was scared to take the pills, but what the heck, try everything once is my motto!

balloonlady
06-28-2007, 02:46 PM
I just finished my first full week of alli and for me it does work. It's not a magic pill that will melt the pounds off, but the fear of treatment effects kept me honest to my eating plan. So far I've not had any side effects, but I am being very careful and aware of what I eat. I lost 3lbs this week. next week I'm going to add some exercise to my routine, which I totally neglected this week.

Amarantha2
06-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Alli really does seem to be a class-act as to totally informing the consumer of what it does and doesn't do, who should and should not take it, etc.

I was seriously considering it for awhile to help me beat this regain and push on to my goal, since I'm struggling so much with it all now. But reading the book that I bought over the counter (Are You Losing It?) and looking at the extensive displays in the store now that it's out, plus looking at the package and the web, I can see that it is NOT for me because I don't weigh the minimum for my height that they specify and because I don't eat that much fat, even though I had always thought I ate a higher fat diet than is usually recommended, but I guess not.

Anyhow, I wish the best of luck to those who are successfully using this program.

FresnoBeeDude
06-29-2007, 10:05 PM
I am so sorry if my questions have been answered already. I quickly glanced through the support thread on this. I am always willing to try something new, but I want to know if this is even beneficial to me. I have lost 233lbs since the 1st of January 2006, by dieting, exercise (just started gym/water aerobics at the YMCA), working out, cardio, walking, etc. I have kept a diary of the foods I have eaten, as well as the carbs, and the calories. I havent "watched" my fat intake, but I have switched to fat-free/low-fat choices. My dinner tonight was only 11g of fat.

I mentioned the above items, as this is what people have mentioned that Alli recommends. I know about the "treatment effect", but since I don't eat 15g of fat per meal anyways, will this pill work for me? Should I save my money? I like the part about losing an extra 50% of your weight, but will that apply to me for someone who has already dieted/exercised? Or, is this product intended for those just starting?

Edit: After talking to a pharmacist at a RiteAid, we decided that this would not be beneficial to me. I went back and read my food labels. For breakfast I had 1g of fat, for lunch I had 6.5g of fat, and for dinner a whopping 11g. I walked 6.28 miles today, and that was my "lazy day" (no gym, no aerobics, nothing). Total calorie intake for the day was 1705 calories, and only 202.5g of Carbs( after subtracting out 29g of fiber). I think I will just continue on my own plan.

aymster
07-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Those side effects are also in 1/4 % of people. That's extremely high! I would consider one's Omega/flax intake as well.

At my pharmacy, we won't let anyone buy the product before talking to a pharmacist. We are true health care professionals who honestly care about our patients and want them to fully understand what they are taking and that they are commited to dietary and exercise lifestyle changes. We never judge and are there for encouragement.

I encourage everyone to talk to their doctor AND pharmacist before trying this product! And good luck to all!

Ant Bee
07-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Hi all! :wave:

I've been on alli for a week - not one problem with 'treatment effects' - prally because it's done a good job of keeping me in check. I've tried many things for weight loss, and this has been the first time I haven't wavered after a couple of days. The biggest plus has been that I feel satisfied/full all the time. Strange! My mind is now off food. I'm usually thinking about my next meal as I'm eating the current one, but now I feel kind of free/able to get on with the day.

AND the myalli.com site is worth its weight in gold to me = Really helpful.

Hey, I'm a big skeptic, but my MIL was on Xenical 3x/day for a year with terrific results and is now only taking 1 pill a day for maintenance. She convinced me to try alli. I'm now four lbs. down after week 1...you know, peeps take a daily pill for blood pressure control and cholesterol reduction, why the hubbub about one for weight control? If it works for people, hurrah.

Jury's still out but things are looking up,
-Bren

Phoenix32203
07-22-2007, 10:18 AM
I have been taking Alli for 4 weeks and have lost 15 pounds. For 4 weeks, I have been ON PROGRAM. I count calories and fat grams and have not strayed. Alli helped me do this. It has been a behavioral tool for me--I want to stay with in the suggested ranges to avoid te's. It may sound silly, but after 20 years of not being able to stay on a diet for more than two days, it's apparently just what I needed to stay on track. I am eating healthier than I have ever eaten in my life, and I have not experienced one te.

To be honest, I would take it if all it did was keep me on the straight and narrow, but as a bonus, it's helping me lose faster. I take one with each meal and I know it's removing 25% of the calories of fat I consume each and every time.

I would say it is definitely worth a try!

nelie
07-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Well the real purpose is to use the pill to "encourage" you to follow a low fat diet so I'd stay under their limit of 15g of fat per meal. The pill itself doesn't absorb enough fat to make more than a slight difference in your weight loss but the fact that it helps you make a behavioral change in your diet is where you will see the weight loss.

cara1980
07-25-2007, 04:56 PM
A brief warning about Alli.

I started taking it yesterday and had horrible stomach cramps and heartburn. I called the company and was told they do not offer refunds since it was an over the counter product and that the side effects were listed on the bottle. I told her it doesnt say anything about heartburn and said if you experience cramps to contact the Dr. The lady kept pushing me to see the Dr and I told her I was fine before I took the pills and now Im sick. I demanded a refund since I only took 3 pills and supposedly they are sending it to me.:mad:

Heather
07-25-2007, 05:01 PM
A brief warning about Alli.

I started taking it yesterday and had horrible stomach cramps and heartburn. I called the company and was told they do not offer refunds since it was an over the counter product and that the side effects were listed on the bottle. I told her it doesnt say anything about heartburn and said if you experience cramps to contact the Dr. The lady kept pushing me to see the Dr and I told her I was fine before I took the pills and now Im sick. I demanded a refund since I only took 3 pills and supposedly they are sending it to me.:mad:

I don't want to downplay your misery, but is also possible that something else made you sick -- just because one thing happened before the other doesn't mean it's the cause... I hope you feel better!

cara1980
07-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Well all I know was I was fine before I took them up until 45 minutes after taking the pill. I took 2 more that day before the meals and I stayed sick until the next day. Around noon I started feeling better so I do think it was the pills.

Hun.e.B
07-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Thats kinda the point to the pills, stick to the plan and you dont get side effects. I've never had the side effects. Plus you are supposed to eat lowfat for 2 - 3 days before even starting the Alli. All meds effect people differently. I'm glad you feel better, Alli just isnt for you.

Azure
07-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Here's my take, which I posted in the Atkins forum:

"I think Alli's more of a psychological aid than anything else. I did the math. Alli suggests a low-fat, reduced calorie diet in addition to taking the pill--and the pill itself works to block about 25% of the fat you eat. So, I took a 2,000 calorie diet (I'm assuming most women would be eating less). Alli suggests no more than 30% of your calories come from fat--so on a 2,000 calorie diet, that's about 600 calories coming from fat. Alli blocks 25% of the fat you consume, so that's only 150 calories blocked in a day.

If you're a woman and eating less total calories and therefore, also eating less calories from fat, the calories blocked in a day is even less than 150. So, really, you could cut out 1.5 ounces of cheese a day and avoid 150 calories...or two slices of bread. Y'know?

You need to burn 3500 calories to lose 1 pound of fat--and Alli's only going to block 1050 calories per week, assuming a 2,000 calorie diet at 30% fat. If you're eating less calories and less fat--you'll be burning less than 1050 calories per week with the Alli alone.

I know a woman on Alli and she feels it's helping her--I think spending the $$ on the pill and taking a pill helps her to feel motivated. I know there's a eating plan and exercise plan that comes along with the pills, and that's likely doing more for weight loss than the pills themselves. I'm glad Alli seems to be helping my friend feel on track, but I think the actual drug's benefits are pretty questionable, considering how few calories it actually blocks."

Ant Bee
08-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi again! Alli is doing what it advertises - blocking some of the fat I eat and keeping me in check.

It's easy to assume there's low bang for your buck, or say "it only blocks x amount, so you could just eat less cheese," but the problem comes when you don't eat less cheese, or two slices of bread. Alli is there when you slip. We all slip.

Doing the math and measuring cost of pill vs. fat blocked would make it appear expensive...if that was all it does. But it's more than that for me, so the cost is not a factor. Effectiveness is.

Soooo, from one who has taken it for a month, it's not just psychological aid. It's been a lifestyle change for the good. I'm down 14 pounds since July 4, and it was done with ease. Since I feel better and can fit into my shorts, I was able to start my fitness program yesterday = tennis, a former passion. Alli gave that back to me.

Just my two-cents. :smug: Good luck to everyone, whatever path they choose.

over52
09-23-2007, 09:29 AM
:dizzy:I just bought some and took it for the first time yesterday. I ate a low fat meal and have decided to combine with weight watchers. I have had no side effect yet. I do agree that I think it will be a motivator to me and help keep me on track - especially at work. I lost, gained, lost and am just tired of floundering. Ready to loose it and maintain!!!! :p

delia1
09-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi,

what is the minimum weight/height to take alli? If it's not listed on the package, how would a person know if Alli is ok for them to take before spending the $?

Thanks

KforKitty
09-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Here's my take, which I posted in the Atkins forum:

"I think Alli's more of a psychological aid than anything else.

but I think the actual drug's benefits are pretty questionable, considering how few calories it actually blocks."

I don't agree. I'm on the prescription strength Orlistat, Xenical and if you look at my ticker I was following a low-fat diet before taking the Xenical. Yes I was losing weight and lost 23lb in 3 months. However 16lb of that was the first month, 4lb the second month and only 3lb the third. I was making a lot of effort for little result.

Following the same type of diet and taking the Xenical I've lost 20lb the next two months. Xenical has made what was before a real struggle into something quite easy.

I too did the calculations and figured out about 145 calories a day not being absorbed by taking Xenical. But I'm sure like any drug, actions will vary depending on the individual and the types of food an individual eats. I would see the 145/150 cals a day as an average rather than an absolute.

I do think there are some psycholocial effects but these are as a result of the success I'm seeing rather than any placebo effect.

Kitty

lkpink30
10-02-2007, 09:58 AM
My father has taken Alli since it came out he has lost at least 20 lbs. He maintains a healthy diet (not overly strict though - he has a piece of cake at a party or soemthing) and exercises at least 3-4 days a week. He has only had one episode with the "treatment effects". I've seen it work so it does. I think I am going to attempt it.

Mark
10-06-2007, 05:19 AM
The side effects aren't very bad, but it may cause pre-cancerous lesions of the colon:

krzwife
10-24-2007, 10:26 PM
What?? I don't recall ever seeing that reported anywhere.

vixjean
12-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Are these addictive?

Switzie6
12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
I was taking Alli but had to stopped because I was going through a change in prescription drugs that caused my digestive track to be all messed up. I plan on going back on soon. It did seem to help the short time I took them but you definitely can't eat too much fat or you will know it. Though that is the point.
They are not addictive because unlike many "diet" pills it only works in your stomach. It's not mood altering and doesn't effect any other part of your body. I'm no medical expert but I would say there is no way you can get physically addicted to it.

raj
12-05-2007, 09:36 AM
I heard about Alli long ago. Like Azure said it is the diet rather than the pill that makes you lose weight.
I quote some info here Consumers desperately searching for solution to their weight challenges now have easy access to the new FDA-approved over-the-counter (OTC) weight-loss drug Orlistat, marketed under the name Alli. Lest you think this is a brand new drug that will deliver the much sought after solution to the obesity epidemic, think again. This “new” drug isn’t new at all. Orlistat is simply a lower-dose version of the prescription weight-loss drug Xenical, which has had zero impact on moving the fat meter in our society. Making Orlistat available to consumers over-the-counter only means that tens of millions of people will now have false hopes of sustained weight-loss while being exposed to toxic, synthetic chemical compounds.
So this is supposed to be an old drug in a new bottle. A prescription drug made an OTC just for company profits.
the drug interferes with the absorption of essential fatty acids. Given that most overweight people are already extremely deficient in omega-3 fatty acids, DHA and other healthy oils, this Alli drug is likely to put them in an even worse state of deficiency.

The drug works by interfering with the digestion of dietary fats, you see. That may sound great if you're eating a diet of fried foods, hydrogenated oils and processed meat products, but even if you block the absorption of those obesity-promoting fats, you're still left in a state of deficiency concerning the healthy oils like omega-3 fatty acids. And if you eat more flaxseed or take fish oil capsules, guess what? Alli will interfere with those, too, causing you to miss out on at least some of their benefits.

there was a funny article on Alli. I cannot post links so do a search for ""Miracle" weight loss drug Alli delivers more than you bargained for (diapers optional)" With the double quotes in google and you will get the article.
After coming to this forum I see that this article might be a little exaggerated.
The truth however is that if you take a high fat diet with alli you might have anal discharge. I think that is the motivating factor like it says in the article. The most motivating factor is that if you have a "side effect" in public then you will have to move to another city and hope no one has taken your video.

I find alli will make you lose only 5 of the 15 pounds you lose with it. The other 10 pounds you lose because of your diet.
But then only "we" know what "we" are going through. And sometimes "we" are ready to take that risk or do anything that will keep "us" on track.
I find only two supplements that actually work. One is Garcinia Cambogia(not recomened for diabetics as it reduces blood sugar levels and a person on insulin might get hypo) which has not side effects at all. This one i can personally vouch for. I have a sort of an eating disorder and I binge for day consuming 5000+ calories of fast food and during one such 10 day binge i actually reduced 3 kgs.
The other one is Fucothin. i cant vouch for it but i am taking it. After the research I have done on it. I find that those that "condemn" it only do so because there are no human test only lab test on mice. The human test that were conducted were not for weight loss but for it effect on cancer and it is really a superfood. So I am not losing anything by taking fucothin. I am going to go by the lab test on mice and the feedback on several forums by users that it works for them. All of them said it got rid of belly fat which is what i am looking for.

KforKitty
12-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Why rubbish a drug that's been properly tested over many years with real clinical outcomes and then promote other products that have not gone through the same rigours?

Kitty

p.s. lost 33 lbs on Orlistat in just over 4 months

Amy8888
12-05-2007, 01:52 PM
I am now on Weight Watchers but I posted to this thread awhile ago, and I just have to respond to Raj. What's with the confrontational tone of your post? First, I don't think you posted anything new. I think most people here are pretty aware that most of the drug's effects aren't due to the fact that it blocks fat absorption.

Your statement regarding the fact that the weight loss is just due to the diet is flawed. I know if I'm taking a pill that's going to make bad things happen to my digestive system if I go off the diet, well, I'll be more likely to stick to the diet. So it's not the diet per se, it's not the fat blockage per se, it's the fact that while you're on the pill you're more likely to comply with the diet plan.

As for the claim that Orlistat hasn't made an impact on obesity rates, how could it? Xenical was a prescription drug, and it was prescribed for a very small percentage of obese Americans. Orlistat has only been available for what, 5-6 months now? And the cost is prohibitive. Many people cannot afford the cost of the drug, so they choose not to take it. Not everyone who's taking it started when it first came out on the market, and if you're losing weight in a responsible manner, you do so slowly. So I think it will take some time to see any effects on the obesity problem.

As for your claim that it's just a drug company trying to make more money, well duh! That's how things work. Allegra did the same thing. I'm there there are hundreds of drugs that became non-prescription, and I'm sure drug companies wouldn't have pursued non-prescription status if it weren't profitable.

And while I applaud your general approach of critical thinking, I scratch my head at this statement:

The other one is Fucothin. i cant vouch for it but i am taking it. After the research I have done on it. I find that those that "condemn" it only do so because there are no human test only lab test on mice. The human test that were conducted were not for weight loss but for it effect on cancer and it is really a superfood. So I am not losing anything by taking fucothin. I am going to go by the lab test on mice and the feedback on several forums by users that it works for them. All of them said it got rid of belly fat which is what i am looking for.

How could you be putting something in your body that you can't vouch for? How can you be taking any pill that wasn't tested on humans? If you're so concerned about the effects of a drug that has gone through many clinical trials, why aren't you concerned with a drug that hasn't even been tested on humans?

Berlin
01-15-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm gonna try it!

sumu1
01-16-2008, 12:16 PM
This is not a miracle drug and they let you know right of the bat. If you think that you can eat like a mad man/woman this isn't the case. All this does is allow people the opportunity to add some benefit to your already existing HEALTHY diet. I just started it. This morning, of my 350 cal breakfast,2 waffles with jelly, coffee with creamer and a pear, 130 cals of that is from fat intake. Alli will help block it and send some of it out of the body. But you must watch your fat intake or Alli will give you adverse effects ( pardon my bluntness but it'll give you the runs). The pills aren't addictive and if you want to have a high fat meal on occassion don't take the pill before you eat. No adverse effect. I figure, I'm committed to the program, and this way I can focus on losing 10 lbs and Alli can help me add maybe another 5b to my loss without doing anything else. If it can help keep me on the path and can assist me in getting from 156-@141 instead of 146 why not? Of course, I'm also a short termer on Alli. 2 bottles and I'm done. Everyone has to make their own decision. No miracles here. Don't expect one just hard work.

amoracash
01-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey all,

I wanted to talk about my experience with Alli. I bought the starter pack read all the instructions and informational material and figured that it was pretty easy. It was pretty easy. According to your weight, it tells you about the highest amounts of grams of fat you should be having at each meal. Mine was 18. It worked well when I didn't eat to much fat and there were no unpleasant side effects. However, one day at work, the salad bar where my office usually orders from had a flood and we could not get food from there. I had many bad experiences with other restaurants that had salad so I didn't want to order. So we decided to get beef patties w/cheese for lunch. I thought it was a bad idea to take the pill with this meal because I was certain the amount of fat was over the limit. I took the pill anyway and OMG :o at first everything was okay while I was at work. I had a little gas and that was all. I usually eat lunch around 1 to 2pm. When I left work at 5:30pm I was still pretty okay. As I approached my home, I began to have horrible stomach pains... and I felt like I had to go to the bathroom immediately. I felt as though I could not hold it. The pains were intense and I had to have my husband drop me off in front of my house, so I could run in while he looked for parking. When I finally reached the bathroom, it came pouring out like a faucet. I felt releaved at this point, but didn't know that it was not the end. When I wiped myself, the tissue was orange, and it look like water. I thought Wow :whoo: this is crazy. I got up and proceeded to carry on with my daily home from work routine, but found that my stomach still hurt and I had to go back to the bathroom, this time I unleased so much. When I wiped the same thing happened but it was a lot more. When I looked in the toilet I was shocked.. the orange stuff I had seen on the tissue was all over the toilet bowl. Apparently, the orange stuff was all the grease/fat from my food, it was great to see that the product actually worked, but I was pissed at how many times I had to ****, which was about 3 for the night.

The great thing about Alli is that it works, and the unpleasant effects will stop you from eating the wrong thing and taking the pill. However, if you know you had too much fat, you just don't have to take the pill, which is also not good cause then u may eat it anyway. All in all I took it for 1 month and lost about 5 pounds, without working out.. Just walking a bit more, cutting soda and juice from my diet and eating better. Imagine if I had been working out and not cheating on my diet once in a while....

Well any questions let me know....:):thanks:

lillypop
02-09-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm on Xenical and its working for me. I've also changed my diet but its little things, like knowing that I am going to crap myself if I pick between meals and that's enough NOT TO!! :D

alli4me
03-20-2008, 11:24 PM
hello all,

I just was so happy to have found this board, I have started alli today, so am looking forward to seeing how this works. I hope all will share they alli day with me also. I am off to bed, and will check back in tomorrow....nice to have found this site.

nancy

nelie
03-21-2008, 08:32 AM
If you are looking for support for Alli, check our general diet plans area
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

There is usually a support thread going. This thread isn't for support, just for general questions and discussion.

Dinkster
03-25-2008, 11:40 AM
I started Alli on March 17th. The first two days I took it before all three meals. Then I realized since I do eat low fat anyway, I didni't need to take it for breakfast or lunch so now only take it once per day at supper time. So far, today is my two week point, I have lost eleven pounds.
Yes if you eat to much fat you will suffer with the trots. lol So far I have not had a problem because I am on a low fat diet anyway.
So my pills were just under $60 for 90 and since I am only taking it once per day that comes to $20 per month for a little diet boost that is working for me.
Foe me, I think taking it just once a day is a little psychological boost as well to help me stay within my fat grams allowed per day for myself. I will check in next Tuesday with my weight loss again. we will see if it continues. I hope so.

Annie

dreamergonzalez
03-29-2008, 12:13 PM
I tried this for about a month. I didn't have any of the side effects that they stated, but I found it hard to meet my fat intake per meal. You weren't supposed to exceed more than 15 grams of fat per meal, but you have to eat at least that for the pill to work effectively. I lost about 8 pounds on it, but it was hard to get the fat that was required. If you have no problem eating the fat content, then Alli would be for you. :carrot:

petunia
04-29-2008, 07:00 PM
I started taking Alli almost a week ago. I haven't had any problems because (as my dr. said) count your fat carefully. I'm also doing w.w so my question is if my points are 26 per day. How do I know what my calories should be? Any one know the range for this. Thanks

Mom2QJandT
04-29-2008, 09:46 PM
26 POINTS equals roughly 1300 calories. That's a rough estimate.

petunia
04-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks so much, I've been looking all over for this info. I'm so used to just counting points (and going over) that I'm hating counting fat grams and calories.

Epica
05-03-2008, 06:44 PM
I wish it was sold in my country =(

petunia
05-04-2008, 02:48 AM
I wish it was sold in my country =(

what country? can't you buy it on line?:carrot:

petunia
05-04-2008, 03:00 AM
Read your blog, your more secure than I am. Very nicely done, I enjoyed reading it.

Irish Mom
05-11-2008, 07:37 PM
So let me get this right.... You are told how much fat to eat in order for the pill to be effective? Eat too much and watch out, but what if you don't eat enough fat? Does it not work? Where is the cheapest place to buy it? I saw it for like $69 at Walgreens for like 90 pills, but Sams club had 150 pills for like $63. Is there a better deal? Anywhere online?? Is the diet plan included in the package (I don't want to risk an explosion at work, I may wear a diaper to start). Also any other tips/advise not included in the package but you learned thru trial & error? Thanks so much for any advise, Thanks:dizzy:

dreamergonzalez
05-12-2008, 08:54 PM
I didn't eat enough fat in my meals, so I didn't lose any weight. I didn't gain any weight either. I maintained my starting weight and fluctuated between a two to three pound weight loss here and there, but I always went back to what I started. I didn't have any "explosions," I even tested it by eating something really fatty. Things didn't taste right either. If I ate something with a high fat content, I felt like my mouth was coated in vaseline. There were benefits, but it only helped me switch to a low fat diet. I bought mine at Wal-mart for a fairly decent price. It's all about if you're willing to change your diet.

DaisyNicole
05-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Has anyone here with a diagnosis of IBS tried Alli? I have IBS usually with the 'D' symptoms as opposed to the 'C'. I am looking for an extra boost as i have hit a plateau after only losing about 15 of the 60 lbs in the 4 months i have been active in my lifestyle change. i hit the plateau about a month and a half ago. Just wondering if the "side effects" would hit me even worse since i already have a bowel problem.

Thanks!

WormwoodDoll
06-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey guys. I am thinking of taking Alli because I have heard good things about it. I read that you only get the "treatment effects" when you eat too much fat in your meals. I believe that Alli is to help people who lead an unhealthy lifestyle, and it really makes you aware of the things that are good and bad for you. It comes to the point where you can stop taking Alli once you've become satsified, and then you have learned a healthy lifestyle. It's not a pill for someone to be able to lose weight while eating crap. You have to be dedicated to eating the right choices. The treatment effects are a reminder that you are making bad choices.

Roseblush
07-02-2008, 05:50 AM
I am surprised there isn't a very active post with people using Alli. I have started the program and find that it is helpful. Just need to stick to it like with any diet program.
Any Alli long timers out there?
Roseblush

KforKitty
07-02-2008, 06:01 AM
I am surprised there isn't a very active post with people using Alli. I have started the program and find that it is helpful. Just need to stick to it like with any diet program.
Any Alli long timers out there?
Roseblush

I'm a long time user of the prescription version, Xenical, as its not available OTC in the UK. I'm on my 11th month and will reach my anniversary at the end of this month. I've lost 63lbs on it in those 11 months and 23lbs before taking it. As you say it works if you stick to it.

Kitty

sandyfanny
07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
What happens when you stop taking it? According to the information that comes with Alli, all of the fat you eat is digested since there's no pill to block it. You're also advised that you may gain weight after you stop if you're eating an inappropriate amount of fat. You're also advised that you may want to go back on Alli for periods of time if you're having trouble maintaining a new weight. But the idea here is to learn to eat healthy, low-fat foods as a way of life.

I don't know; I love mayonnaise, hard cheeses, and butter. I'm not eating any full-fat cheese, using whipped butter, and fighting the fresh tomato with white bread and mayo urge. At least I'm measuring the mayonnaise, and using a fat-free Vidalia onion salad dressing - which has tons of sugar I'm sure. I hate that so many things that are fat-free and advertised and packaged as healthy for weight loss are so high in sugar and other unintelligible ingredients.

Zima
07-07-2008, 12:56 PM
LOL! I tried Alli a few months ago. Oh man. I was at work (I'm a substitute teacher and was subbing for a preschool teacher) and I had to get up to get some crayons or something for the students. When I got back to my seat, I noticed that it was covered with this brownish yellow BILE. I hadn't even NOTICED anything coming out of me or felt anything wet on me at all. Well, I excused myself to the bathroom, grabbing the chair to take with me. My pants were covered with the bile, and it smelled soooo bad. I had to throw the pants away when I got home, and I was in the bathroom for about 20 minutes trying to clean off the chair.

Sooo embarrassing. I think a big part of it though was that I wasn't eating a low-fat diet. So yeah, I suggest to anyone that wants to try Alli, PLEASE don't eat fatty foods with it.

WhiteRabbit
07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
I had a neighbor who was obese and did very well on the prescription form of this many years ago. However, I read in Consumer Reports that Alli was not the strength of the prescription version, and did very little to help lose weight in a healthy fashion, and keep it off. I was bummed because I was going to give it a whirl. On the other hand, I have less than 20 pounds to lose, and it probably isn't the best solution for someone in that situation.

Any thoughts?

Prufrock
07-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Roseblush...I have used Alli for 13 months. Feel great...practically no problems with it. Happily 70 lbs lost!

CaffeineIV
08-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Sorry, may be repeating stuff but I don't have time to read all the posts. My mom talked to a pharmacist. She's always hoping for a way to lose weight so she can go from about 185 to 105 without doing anything. :( The pharmacist told her that yes, it will work but they strongly recommend wearing a pad as well as dark coloured pants because of how little control you will have over your ability to get to the bathroom in time. Thankfully she decided not to try it.

KforKitty
08-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Sorry, may be repeating stuff but I don't have time to read all the posts. My mom talked to a pharmacist. She's always hoping for a way to lose weight so she can go from about 185 to 105 without doing anything. :( The pharmacist told her that yes, it will work but they strongly recommend wearing a pad as well as dark coloured pants because of how little control you will have over your ability to get to the bathroom in time. Thankfully she decided not to try it.

I'm sorry but that's a load of rubbish. If you follow the dietry advice, 'accidents' will not happen.

Kitty

raspswirl
08-29-2008, 01:46 PM
I was wondering if anybody out there with IBS has tried Alli. Does it make the TE worse?

Amy8888
10-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Hey all! I just started a new Alli support thread in the General Diet forum if anyone cares to join in.

HikariNoMiru
11-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Alli suggests that you take an extra change of clothes everywhere you go. Alli broadcasts itself as a "fat blocker", it does block fat, however they fail to mention that Alli well.... to be blunt... it makes you **** your pants.
Think carefully about using this product before you use it...
Is losing weight worth ****ting yourself?

KforKitty
11-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Alli suggests that you take an extra change of clothes everywhere you go. Alli broadcasts itself as a "fat blocker", it does block fat, however they fail to mention that Alli well.... to be blunt... it makes you **** your pants.

I'll repeat my reply above:

I'm sorry but that's a load of rubbish. If you follow the dietry advice, 'accidents' will not happen.

Kitty

Amy8888
11-24-2008, 10:50 AM

I've been on it for a couple of months, that never happened to me. In fact, sometimes I find I'm kinda plugged up. Strange, but true.

KforKitty
11-24-2008, 11:36 AM
I've been on it for a couple of months, that never happened to me. In fact, sometimes I find I'm kinda plugged up. Strange, but true.

Absolutely Amy, I find if I don't eat enough fat that I get bunged up. I think its really about finding the perfect balance.

Kitty

Jenniferk2008
01-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Like many of you, I picked up the Alli brochure when it first came out and immediatly said "NO WAY" when it described how you should take other sets of clothes with you when you go out, and to wear dark colored pants - just in case! I don't think this sounds all that healthy to me - or NORMAL! :)

Jenn

flatiron
01-07-2009, 04:22 PM
I put an extra set of sweat pants in my truck "just in case" as the booklet recommends and I have been on the Alli Plan for 2 months not and haven't used them yet, in fact haven't even come close to using them.

I think the book recommends this just to cover their tails because SOMETIMES someone will have a bad reaction. But I really believe if you follow the plan and eat low fat like the plan requires it is far and few inbetween that people will have a bad reaction.

Incidently I have eaten well and stay full and I have lost 25 pounds so far. It is working for me.

Does Alli work for everybody? Evidently not but name one thing that works for everybody???

It works for the majority of people who follow the directions and the only way you will know if it will work for you is to try it.

The horror stories that abound on the web and on forums crack me up.

I'll bet my last dollar that 90% of them are from people who bought Alli and didn't read the books and just kept eating what they always ate (or like my sister THOUGHT she was eating low fat but was not!) and when $#^& in their pants them blame Alli and say it doesn't work.

Well if you eat 10 lbs of fat laden food and you take Alli and they says that you will drop 25% of the fat you eat done blame the plan when you drop that 25% in your pants! :D

irishsarah
01-12-2009, 09:37 AM
I took Xenical for a short while before my insurance stopped covering it and never had a problem. I also took Alli for awhile and again, never had a problem. Most people won't if they STICK TO THE PLAN. Most people will not have "accidents" unless they consume too much fat. If you don't want to deal with the consequences, then don't take Alli. My Da tried Xenical and was rather casual about how much fat he was actually taking in. He had problems. That's the deal. He stopped taking it. Again, you've got to stick with the low fat diet if you don't want a problem. Read labels carefully, don't assume you know the fat content of everything. If you are conscientious of what you are eating, you should be fine.

I just order a 120 pack and can not wait for it to arrive! It does help. Its not a cure all but it helps.

webweevil
01-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Just a question about fat content. Staying under a set number of fat grams is the only concern, not whether it is a good fat? I love olives and nuts which are considered healthy food items by many people, yet they are very high in fat. Should I decide to take Alli, would I have to limit my intake of both olives and nuts? I know they are high in calories, but fat is high also. Good fat, bad fat. Is there a difference with TEs?

Second, if I decide to go out for pizza one night, if I don't take a pill, will there still be a problem? I read somewhere on this board that you needed to stop taking the pills a few days before a planned high fat meal. I usually don't plan that far ahead.

nelie
01-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Alli takes the fat out of your meal, regardless if its good fat or not. If you eat over the recommended grams of fat within a specific meal, then you risk encountering the effects.

Also from what I've read, Alli stays in the body so if you don't take a pill, then go out for a high fat content meal, the alli already in your body will react to it and again you risk encountering the effects.

Remember though that the amount of calories that alli removes from your food on a daily basis is pretty minimal. The power of alli is it is supposed to keep you 'on plan' in regards to a low fat diet.

Amy8888
01-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Webweevil, I believe you do need to consider overall fat, doesn't matter whether it's good or bad. I think I remember reading something in the booklets that you'd have to remember that olives have fat, or something. You could eat olives and nuts, just in moderation!

They also warn against splurging and having a meal with a lot of fat. I think you'd want to be on Alli for awhile so your body can adjust, and then see how you feel about skipping a pill to splurge a little. I would probably recommend skipping the pills that entire day and maybe the next day if you were going to eat a lot of pizza.

Ten Years
01-19-2009, 10:42 AM
I was wondering if anybody out there with IBS has tried Alli. Does it make the TE worse?

I have battled IBS all my life and I was concerned about the TE also. I have been on Alli for 2 weeks and lost about 11 pounds total. I take doxycycline for the IBS (started at 4 times a day but with my improved diet and exercise I find I only need them once a day now).

As far as TE, I have not had any. However, everytime I go there is a little orange oily film. Certainly no trouble with control or spotting or abdominal pain.

webweevil
01-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Well, I started on Alli on Friday 16th. So far, so good. I'll give it a week or two before posting an update. It seems strange that there are quite a few people that started taking Alli and posted results a week or so down the road, but hardly anybody has posted results a few months down the road. Seems odd.

Raven
01-25-2009, 11:20 AM
I used Alli and Xenical off and on for a few years. Alli does work, it just didn't work for me because of the mindset I had when using it. I took Alli when I ate too much fat and it helped me not pack on more pounds. Unfortunately I wasn't eating any better and I wasn't losing any weight. If you are the type of person who will change your eating habits to avoid the side effects, then Alli may be for you. Unfortunately, I realized that I used Alli to support my bad eating habits -- eat a pizza, take some Alli; have a cheesesteak, take some Alli.

Since then, I've found that a moderate/higher fat diet with more protein and less carbs is best for me. I focus on good fats from olive oil, flax, fish and don't want to "eliminate" these with Alli.

iminhere
02-03-2009, 01:04 AM
I use Alli with Stillman's Protein PLus which IS a low carb low fat plan. I don't eat much fat on Stillmans, but when I have something higher in fat like ground beef then I take an Alli. It seems to work for me and I have no treatment effects. if you stay lowfat then the Alli flushes a percentage of your dietary fat and it is not digested...that equals CALORIES. I got mine on Ebay pretty cheap and I don't take them at EVERY meal, just ones with fat, so it hasn't been very expensive.

what I'm hearing here is that it mainly works because it keeps you compliant...but think about this: even if Alli only blocks 25% of your dietary fat think how much better your food tastes WITH that 25 %. for ME, by blocking that 25% (AND keeping me honest) it makes my lowfat diet that much more palatable.

contrygrl1979
02-24-2009, 07:55 AM
I was using it, but I didn't have any luck with it. Actually I had the opposit affect, I ended up constipated. So it may work for other, but not for me. I felt miserable while taking it. Alwasy gassy and felt bloated. I had more luck losing weight. But just watching what I ate. I wasn't reaching my 1800 calorie intake, or the 60 grams of fat per day. But maybe I wasnt' doing it right. But its just not for me.

Lawrencia
03-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Well, I started on Alli on Friday 16th. So far, so good. I'll give it a week or two before posting an update. It seems strange that there are quite a few people that started taking Alli and posted results a week or so down the road, but hardly anybody has posted results a few months down the road. Seems odd.

I have been taking Alli for over a year. I take it off and on. I don't take the pill when my meal is very low in fat or high in fat. I've never had a problem with Alli, and tend to think that people who do are ignoring the diet restrictions for taking the pill. I calorie count, and I figure the impact of Alli into my count. I like it.

kandiapplred
03-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I have been taking Alli for two weeks and have had no side affects. I normally stick to the 15 grams of fat or less per meal. I have friends that has tried the Alli pills before but because they ate too much fat, they had bad experiences. I call this pill my honest pill and it does keep me in line with choosing the right food choices. I have lost 5lbs in 2 weeks so far and I am very excited about the continuing my low fat diet and the pill.

candoit61
03-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I had taken Alli and it did help and I lost some weight. I just didn't take when I knew I would have too much fat.

The only bad affect it had on me was that my thyroid level went way down. I am on synthroid and have had a throidectomy. So if you have any thyroid problems, check with your Dr. It took about 5 months until my level came back up.

Sue:hug:

glitterducky
03-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I don't think it was answered....what happens when you stop taking it?

Amarantha2
03-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Glitterducky, that's a good question.

Thighs Be Gone
03-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Glitterducky and Janga,

Depending on the user the weight can creep back on. That is true no matter which method you use for weight loss. I use Alli under the care of a physician and see it like this. If I had a thyroid condition, I would take medication for it. If I was a diabetic, I would take insulin. How is it that weight should be any different? If something is working for someone, more power to them.

Amy8888
03-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Well, I would say that once you stop taking Alli, it is hopefully because you have learned the healthy eating habits you need to maintain a healthy weight. So like with any diet, when you are done losing and are in maintenance, you just have to watch yourself and make sure you don't start gaining again. I don't understand where the confusion is about that.

keikoasmom
03-09-2009, 11:28 AM
I used Alli for 5 months and lost 4 pounds. I kept going up and down on it losing and gaining the same 5 pounds. But the stomach problems-it's not just anal leakage, if you don't eat the right combinations, it's also bloating, cramping and digestive problems.
Now it's been over a year since I used Alli, and I am still having stomach problems and anal leakage.

Amy8888
03-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Hmmm, a year after stopping a drug and still having problems? Sounds like you should go to a doctor! I know I would!

Thighs Be Gone
03-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Amen sister!

Losing and regaining the same four pounds? The plan is proven to work if it's followed. Taking the pill alone--nope it won't work. How many calories were you ingesting daily? How many fat grams daily? What was your exercise regimen? Side effects occur at least 90% + of the time because of going off plan.

nelie
03-09-2009, 07:17 PM
With Alli, you can eat processed low fat products or high sugar/carb items and it'd have no effect. So you'd need to eat a low fat diet along with reasonable amount of calories.

LucasMom
03-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I have taken both Xenical and Alli. Let me tell you NOT to eat anything high in fat and if you do be VERY NEAR a bathroom. Wow, not pretty. I only take it on the weekends occasionally, as I am a teacher and cannot use a restroom at a moments notice. Give it a try, but be very careful with what you eat. I did not have significant weight loss, but I only took it for awhile. I was too nervous to shat myself!! Ugh, sad but true!

Amarantha2
03-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Sounds interesting.

To clarify my previous post, I am not confused, just interested in weight management topics in general and participating in the forum and think that's a valid question with any weight loss aid, what happens when you quit taking it? :)

I have no opinion on Alli other than to be honest I have a generally unfavorable view of weight loss aids in pill form in general and nonprescription ones especially. I used to feel that Alli was probably one of the most effective concepts to be found in the drugstore because it didn't seem to be dangerous and addressed the issue of behavior modification.

But in some instances I've heard people say that they indeed modify their behavior with the drug to avoid the effects of overeating but that when they eat the proper diet that goes along with it, they take the pill and that absorbs some of the calories of the healthy meal.

I have that reservation about Xenical also, personally, just my opinion and not for the world trying to tell anyone else they shouldn't do what they want to do as I'm only interested in what I do. :)

For me, it's better to learn (and I'm still learning) how to eat the proper amounts of all the nutrients, including fat, which is essential to our bodies' functioning instead of having calories absorbed that I do eat.

But to each her own.

Thighs Be Gone
03-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Glitterducky and Janga,

Depending on the user the weight can creep back on. That is true no matter which method you use for weight loss. I use Alli under the care of a physician and see it like this. If I had a thyroid condition, I would take medication for it. If I was a diabetic, I would take insulin. How is it that weight should be any different? If something is working for someone, more power to them.

Quoting from my above post.

Thighs Be Gone
03-12-2009, 06:07 PM
:DFor me, it's better to learn (and I'm still learning) how to eat the proper amounts of all the nutrients, including fat, which is essential to our bodies' functioning instead of having calories absorbed that I do eat.

But to each her own.

...and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his *** everytime he hopped...sorry, couldn't resist:D

Amarantha2
03-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I don't understand this comment or its intent, Thighs be Gone.

:D

...and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his *** everytime he hopped...sorry, couldn't resist:D

Thighs Be Gone
03-12-2009, 11:38 PM
never mind :)

Amarantha2
03-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Very well.

never mind :)

k8zilla
03-23-2009, 11:17 PM
i used alli last april for about a month alongside a low fat diet and 3-4days a week at the gym, attending water aerobics class/zumba classes... i lost 22lbs in about a month and a half on this plan in preparation for a vacation but as soon as i got home the weight came back and i feel this had something to do with not using alli after.

i feel like it really works when you use it with a low fat diet and exercise as an "extra push."

the side effects only show their ugly head if you stray from the plan, eat less than 15grams of fat per meal and you'll be in the clear...think that you can eat fatty foods and rely on a miracle pill and you'll regret it later. if anything, i love the idea that there are repercussions for straying, it keeps me on track and really kept me motivated.

i just bought another bottle and have started my diet. my goal is to lose 60lbs total by my birthday in november and with alli's help i believe it is possible.

sunspell
03-24-2009, 11:42 PM
wow! I will have to check this out!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wnEhXoy/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnEhXoy/)

alextif
04-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi everyone
I am looking for people who tried alli, in Michigan.
If it work, or did not work, your experience interest me. I am a french journalist making a report on alli, as it comes to France in few weeks. I really like to have a fair view about it.
So please if you know someone, who loose weight, are still on alli diet, or had problems with it. Let me know

Thank u all.

tanya7768
04-02-2009, 05:41 PM
I was going to go buy Alli today, but after doing alot a research, I came across a site where people where saying that Alli caused them to have divaticulitis(sp?) and strokes, now I'm nervous, has anyone heard this or experienced this?

tiaracer89
04-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Hello, I am new to this site and hope it has a lot to offer me in terms of help and motivation. I was a little hesitant to try this product. I am gonna officially start taking the pills on 4/13. I wanna get in the habit of a low fat/calorie diet. I'll let everyone know how this works for me! YAY! :)

alw3
04-12-2009, 08:19 AM
My two cents on Alli and all of the OTC products: Like most people reading this I have been dieting for many years and think about dieting and weight loss every single. Anyway, I have tried nearly all the OTC products and of course, most did nothing. Alli does work. But not to a great extent. If you use it regularly (I did not say daily) but regularly every time you eat a high fat meal (i.e. whenever you eat out) you will prevent about a pound a month from being gained. And there really is some relief that you can do something about the meal after the fact, even tho the orange oil you see in the toilet each time only represents about 100-150 calories. Yes, if you take alli during or right after a high fat meal, you may have leakage you cannot control within 12-36 hours. If you eat a high fat meal and are feeling brave (and maybe have some Depends on hand) take 2 alli pills with a high fat meal. Even more calories will be released (more orange oil in the toilet). If you are not eating what you feel is a high fat meal, don't take alli. What's the point? The only other OTC product I have had success with, and it is only minor, is SlimShots, which decrease the appetite somewhat. If you take two shots in the morning you will eat less during the day. DO NOT take alli and SlimShots in the same day, as it is couterproductive. Anyway, this is my 2 cents on dieting.. I have been trying to lose 30 pounds for ten years. I have gained and lost 10 pounds dozens of times, but I do feel like if I did not constantly think and worry about it I would be heavier than I am now. I have been approx. 30 pounds overweight for 10 years, but what if I had not worried and obsessed over it all this time? Surely it would be more now, and I find some success in that. Does anyone else ever feel this way?

maryquitecontrary
09-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I have to agree with a lot of the other women. One of the biggest motivators for me is the scare of slipping up, and experiencing "treatment effects". Especially because my family thinks its really fun to offer me really unhealthy food to see if I will cave. With the alli pills, I consider what my family offers, and then think about whether or not I want to be able to make it home with out any emergencies. That helps a lot.

stellarosa27
09-16-2009, 08:40 PM
I used Alli for a few months - it helped me lose weight, but I felt horrible. I combined it with WW, and since WW calculates points based on calories, fat and fiber, I don't think I was getting enough nutrients. I gave it up after 2 months and have still continued to lose.

But those side effects... I will say that after the first time I ate too much fat, my experience prevented me from EVER doing it again.

MandyT
10-06-2009, 01:01 PM
I love Alli! I took Alli back in July before I fell of the bandwagon. I took it AS DIRECTED (NEVER ate over my fat gram allowance) and combined it with doing Turbo Jam daily and lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks which is much more than I'd ever lost with restricting cals & exercise alone. I noticed a HUGE difference and plan on taking Alli again as soon as I get the money (it's a bit pricey for me). Oh, I should also say if you plan on taking it I'd be a good idea to start restricting your fat 3 days before starting the pills as anything you've eaten up to 72 hours before can cause a dreaded treatment effect ;) Just a warning.

Redzodd
10-26-2009, 11:30 AM
I took Alli for about a week and a half after losing 22 lbs on my own watching calories and fat. They tell you not to exceed about 15 grams of fat per meal, but they DO NOT MENTION THAT YOU SHOULD BE EATING AT LEAST THAT. I was already averaging only 6-8 fat grams per meal and when I started the Alli, that was appearently not enough to sustain my body. Consequence: I STARTED LOSING MY HAIR!! Not a little, a lot. Handfuls, I developed very thin spots on the sides of my head in a matter of a week. Suspecting it was the pills I checked the website, Alli claims that hair loss is not a side effect, but others have reported the same problem. Appearently, the science behind it is that if you are not getting enough fat in your diet, your hair can switch from the normal growth phase to the resting phase, causing much more than average hair loss. You then have to wait several months for the growth stage to start back up. Well, it's been about three months and my hair is finally starting to fill in again. I stopped taking the pills when I noticed the effect, so I can't say whether or not they work for weight loss, but if u try them, be sure to get all of your required fats.

Sarilyn
11-10-2009, 06:17 PM
I started taking Alli when it first came out and it seemed to work. I took it with a regular diet and exercise plan and lost about 20 lbs. Then I got sick (NOT from the Alli) and gained all that back plus 25 more since. I am now ready to lose all that and more, and Alli is back on the plan.

I have had the Alli effect and have to say that it is not pleasant at all, but it is controllable with proper diet. If you have a lot of negative side effects you may want to rethink your diet plan. Alli is not a magic pill, and can only do do much without your helpl I am the first to admit that I love McD's french fries (I could leave the rest of their stuff) and you will pay for eating things like that. It does make you think before you put anything in your mouth however, and that is a strong motivator for me.

hotstuff
01-02-2010, 09:54 PM
I tried Alli a while ago. I thought I was eating well, but if you forget to factor in your olive oil and vinegar dressing on your salad, you end up with ruined undergarments. Gross, but true.:mad:
I stopped because my stomach was really upset. I also don't think I was getting enough minerals and vitamins absorbed into my system. My hair got really dry, my nails were breaking, and I felt a general nausea.
I'm not a big believer in pills as it is, and I think the best way to get healthy is watching what you eat and getting (or staying) fit with exercise.

cmk79
01-19-2010, 05:07 AM
I recently started taking Alli to aid in my weight loss.I don't expect it to magically make all my fat disappear, but I'm hoping it will help me lose a little more weight than if I didn't use it.

kristinb
01-20-2010, 05:39 PM
I have been taking Alli for 9 days now. For the first 6 I stayed within my weight watchers points range and exercised furiously (exercising comes easy to me). But on day 7 I lost it and ate 3 pieces of pizza, a cheeseburger and fries (ah!). And then yesterday I got through work behaving well but then ate 4 lean pockets when I got home! Obviously I need to work on this but did I blow the 1st 6? I mean lets face it, if I was good at controlling my eating, I wouldn't need Alli in the 1st place. By the way, the side effects are very gross as speculated.

yellowsubgirly3
01-20-2010, 08:07 PM
I first want to say I am sorry if this has already been posted somewhere on this forum topic... I looked through the posts and I couldn't seem to find one but I might not of looked far enough.
Anyways, I am curious if Alli really is as good as I hear? I do hear some bad effects with good outcomes though... Can I hear your opinion??

I am thinking about trying Alli out becuase I want to tame myself to eat less. I seem to like to eat. When I am bored I eat. When I am sad I eat. I just love to eat and food is really good! It doesn't effect me in ways it effects other women, but I am still young. (<- I don't want to know what happens when my metab. goes away!)

jewels05
01-20-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't know much about it... but to me, it just doesn't seem natural to take diet pills.

bensempress
01-20-2010, 08:25 PM
There is a sticky all about it right here in this thread...

yellowsubgirly3
01-20-2010, 08:34 PM
There is a sticky all about it right here in this thread...

What is a sticky? sorry :?:

nelie
01-20-2010, 08:42 PM
In most forums, we have sticky's which are usually the first top posts in a forum. Also, if you search for 'alli' using the search box, the first link is the Alli Sticky.

NightAngel26
01-24-2010, 07:04 PM
So, Alli is the thing nowadays? I'm impressed that the FDA passed it here. I ordered it today (the starter kit (60) at Wal-Mart is 25.00 right now). When I receive it and start I will update if I can still find this thread.

I do well most days on my diet and exercise plan, but when I go off, I go waaay off, so this ought to be interesting. TTYall lata

NightAngel26
01-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Oh, and as a post-script, here's some history: I've tried many things, not all but many. I'm a sucker for a fad sometimes. I've been obese for a long time. I've tried Sensa, Weight Watchers, Atkins, Vegetarian menu, low carb, low fat... the all fruit detox (for quick weight loss... and gain when you're done), lemonade diet, all fluids (nothing like wanting to rip someone's face off at the end of the day!)... extreme calorie restriction, water pills, a few diet pills, appetite suppressants, oh yes and Stacker. I'm not saying all of these are useless, but I am an emotional eater, not so much effective using appetite suppressants if it's not hunger that gets me. That, and some of these are "fit into those jeans by next week" diets... and the list goes on... so, here we go!

NightAngel26
01-24-2010, 07:12 PM
oh yeah (yes me again!) I think it's recommended to get a good multivitamin with it because I'd bet it saps other nutrients with this blocking system....

nelie
01-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Well the FDA is investigating Alli/Xenical/generic Orlistat due to liver damage. So it is passed but it is also under investigation.

NightAngel26
01-25-2010, 02:02 PM
I saw that investigation... that would suck, and I wouldn't want that, but I'm hoping that that's not the case with PROPER use... but I still did order it. I also saw something about gallbladder issues, but hey, I don't have one. :^:

sweetnlow28
02-20-2010, 01:34 PM
I have been wanting to try Alli for some time now but I am in Canada and it has not been approved for use here :( . I was hoping someone may know if there is any plan to bring Alli, or something similar that is over the counter to Canada? Do any Canadians know if there is a legitimate way to order it here?
Thanks for the help :)

marielenrdz
02-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Hello all! Love reading the experiences on this forum, but rarely post. I have been using Alli during lunch & dinner for 5 days now with no prob. I usually eat low fat & have not "tested" the side effects until last night.

I ate so much buttery cheese pizza last night that I felt drugged & sluggish! Bad, bad, bad. So I was expecting a volcanic intestinal reaction as a result, but nothing happened. I had a regular BM & a little gas, but nothing else.

Makes me wonder if Alli is working with my body. Has anyone else had this experience?

KellyGrrl
02-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Alli 100 percent works. For me the side effects didn't kick in until about 24 hours after eating the "bad" food.

I no longer take it because I found for me I wasn't very healthy on it, eating a lot of processed foods just because they were labeled "low fat" and I could eat them on the diet. But I lost 38 pounds in 2 months on Alli!

littlerozzee
02-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Hi Sweetnlow28. There is something similar in Canada. I can not remember the name of it and I have not tried it yet but I saw it in the GNC store. When I asked about it they said that it was the same thing.

Sorry I can not remember the name but I am sure they will know what you are talking about if you go in and ask them.

Good Luck
Diane

marielenrdz
02-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanx Kellygrrl for the input. It's Sunday & I ate all this pizza Fri with no treatment effects. Regular BMs (maybe a little more frequently).

Sorry for the TMI, but I just want to make sure it's working. I'm desperate for an additional boost to my calorie counting. It's most frustrating when u sacrifice & count & are a "good girl" yet the scale doesn't move....or worse...goes up! That's usually when I cheat, out of pure frustration.

I PIGGED out again today. I need to get on track. I've done fairly well losing 20-16 lbs (I keep going up & down those last 4 lbs!) since December.

I'm hoping Alli is that boost I need to get over the slump & stop binging out of frustration!

Those of ya'll who have lost weight w/ the help of Alli while NOT experiencing treatment effects....your input is needed. I don't plan on continuing w/ the binging. But now I'm concerned that because the 2 times I did binge, I didn't find orange splashes in the "john", then maybe Alli isn't working for me.

I was hoping this would be my saving grace since it works with digestion & not mind, hormones or heart. SlimQuick worked for me but caused a massive panic attack out of the blue after 2 1/2 weeks of use. Don't need that kind of crap since I'm all ready prone to panic & anxiety!

postscript: sorry for the long post!

NightAngel26
02-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Well, I think I've been on Alli for about 3 weeks now. My period set me back a bit... I gained right before it and lost after. I have lost approximately 15lbs or so. I lost 5 lbs before I started Alli. As for treatment affects... I had absolutely none my first week-week and a half. I did pig out once or twice too. I did however gas up the place...but also I had been taking calcium supplements (the multi thing never said about calcium but I figured logically it has to block it) well, calcium by itself actually binds you up... so that might have been it. Sometimes I do eat bad, sometimes I get mild/moderate affects...sometimes none. It still seems to work regardless, unless I binge at an extreme level (one time I ate 5 tacos, some fried chicken, potato, etc - 3,000 cals) I still lose or stay the same.

Most days I stick to my diet (1,200-1,500) and fat. Being an emotional binge eater, its a tough habit to break. You will probably see the grease eventually after a bit taking the meds... if not maybe it means you aren't eating too many crappy foods.. and congrats!! Anyway, for the record I love this, I've been able to stick to it better than anything I've ever done, and it really seems to assist my work!

marielenrdz
02-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanx NightAngel. I'm an emotional eater too! Makes it so hard to take this weight off. I was cleaning my closet & found old food diaries from 2000!

It was sad! I've had some progress with Alli today, finally. Saw a greasy film in the toilet bowl water. Something must be working! Yay! Gross, I know but I feel like we're all family here so I don't mind sharing TMI if ya'll don't mind hearing it!

Well, here's to less of me in the next few weeks!

trafficjambooty
04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
I ruined 3 chairs at work because of this product. never again!!! :sorry:

NightAngel26
04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Yeah Alli may not be ok for everyone, either physically, or some people aren't ok with the affects. Sorry it didn't work for you. I have found lately that it seems like my body has gotten used to it, so I'm trying out alternating it every other week. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet, or if that's enough time. I may just go back to using it regularly, there was still progress just not as much.

FeliciaHingston
04-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Alli worked well for me for the time I took it. The side effects were not bad and it forced me to pay close attention to meal planning. After my second month, I was tired of taking pills and decided to do things on my own without assistance. Without the little blue capsules, I kind of fell apart. To me that was a sign that I needed to learn to manage my food intake without assistance. Still, I'd recommend Alli to anyone who is willing to stick with it and follow the guidelines closely.

jessi9523
05-07-2010, 06:13 PM
i'm brand new to this site, but obviously i'm not new to dieting. so, hey!

as for alli, i take it. i took it for about 4 months the last time i was on a diet, and lost about 45 pounds or so. (then gained it all back through a rough spell-you know how that goes.) I've been back on alli again for about 2 weeks. i like it. ill always recommend it to bigger women. i will not recommend it to my skinny friends who want to lose 3 pounds though. (isnt that annoying?)

its so easy. you just drink a ton of water (something youre already doing) and pop a pill before you eat. also, take a multivitamin before bed. who knows what kind of nutrients might be swept out of your system along with the fat.

the unpleasant side effects: yea. they're pretty unpleasant. but as soon as you stray from low fat food, you'll know why. your poop, in general, is going to be a bit more oily. but if you grab a taquito from the gas station because you were running late this morning, havent eaten all day, have a pounding headache, and are running late yet again, you are going to regret it in a few hours, i promise. its like pooping a cut of pizza grease.

but, if you follow your diet, its a great aid. good luck ladies!

nubianlocs
05-31-2010, 05:20 PM
Well I've been taking Alli for almost three weeks. The first few days I had a very low but constant headache. I noticed it more after each pill. By the third or fourth day I didn't have anymore headaches. I had previously been doing the extreme fat smash diet on and off for a while so I pretty much am okay with eating a low fat diet. I have not had any of the treatment affects at all. Maybe three times I had to skip a pill because I was out and knew that my meal was over the allowable fat limit. I won't be weighing myself until later on this week. From what I can tell from my last weigh in. I've lost around 5 pounds. I do exercise though. I mainly workout at home using my Wii fit games. I have My fitness coach, EA sports active, walk it out and wii fit plus. I mix it up a bit so I don't get bored.

NightAngel26
05-31-2010, 06:34 PM
well I haven't been on plan, or taking the pill well. I just wanted to update and say that Alli was proven to be linked with liver damage in rare cases. They will be putting it on the label and researching further. The way I see it, regular pain meds have the same warning... but it's a heads up for people concerned.

LouisaH
06-16-2010, 01:45 AM
Our bodies NEED fat. Just like they need carbs and protein, and all the other nutrients IN FOOD. Not in vitamins or pills, but in food. I just don't get why taking a pill that will screw with your system like this would be worth it. All it's doing is making you stick to your diet or poop fat. GROSS! I was wondering when the obvious "linked with liver damage" or whatever other FDA doomsday story would come out. Eat a healthy diet of real, whole foods, and get off the nutritionist scams that are only out to make the pharmaceutical, medical, and health insurance industries money and you'll be fine!

End of soap box. (sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone; I just think all these things are dangerous and unhealthy).

happynottsgirl
07-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Alli is great for a boost. I was against it initially, I feel so sorry that I was actually angry at my mother and a total 'health snob' towards her when she started taking it :( I'm someone who loves to work out and eat healthy, and I saw that as though she were giving up. However, her life is not as flexible as mine, I work from home. She works like 12 hours a day, and she took it for about 4 months and lost 20 pounds, you're not supposed to take it for longer than 6 months.

Anyway, so because of some issues it became impossible for me to work out and eat healthy all the time (short stint living in the middle of the jungle in PR where there is no public transportation and fresh food is impossible to find or too expensive, and where most definitely I can't go for a walk or run without getting insults from 'men', I don't drive and depended on someone taking me to the gym, this person was abusive), so because of all that I decided to take it for a while. I took it for about 3 days but was feeling too nauseous and stopped. Thinking back, I was eating TOO healthy and TOO low fat and was exercising strenuously at home. A few months later I decided to try it again, and I am currently on it. I am using it as a 'solution' to my current situation. I hate this place, I did not want to come and live here, and I am thankfully moving to the UK in September, I will be using the alli until then. I think it's good as a temporary relief for people who need a boost or are in a desperate situation, but definitely in the long run this will deplete you of your health. Like I said, I'm someone who actually loves the gym, I can't wait to move to the UK, I will be buying a bike :D but where I am now I just don't have the tools, I tired and tried and tried, and you can see that reflected in the people here, the majority is fat including my family.

Wanted to add, I was working out at home but the abusive person (my brother) would get angry and start yelling and throwing things if he saw me on the treadmill happily working out. He was the one who months before would take me to the gym and began demanding more and more money to do this favor, it got impossible, I suspect he is mentally ill. About a week ago I had to stop talking to him altogether for my sanity and self-respect, anyway I feel I'm more in the UK than here atm, less than two months left for this nightmare to be over.

NightAngel26
07-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Really? You're not supposed to take it more than 6 months? Is this a new thing because of the warning? I've been off and on this since January. I became concerned about bowel trouble because of a sharp pain in the left side. Yes, you'd think I'd stop but it's a pure motivator for me to keep going. The doc doesn't seem concerned about my use of the product and with the possible warnings back when I started I had them check out my organs and again a couple months ago just to be safe. We certainly had to up my intake of bulk :barf: fiber though to fix this other problem...and most certainly before Alli I never had any problems with these things.

I'm sorry your brother made things really difficult for you. He sounds rather like he might have a personality disorder of some type, and dangerous. Good for you for getting away from him.

I'm not a gym-goer, I'm uncomfortable being looked at exercising most of the time so I exercise mostly at home. I do have a bunch of equipment though, but my wii fit and other programs are getting the most work put in lately (new toys). I love to swim as well and find that really burns some cals...soon swimming season will be over though :(

NightAngel26
07-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Hey LouisaH... how ya doin? Well, I know that there are risks in this product, as I hope all are aware of who use it. Some of us here have tried pretty much everything out there and so might turn to Alli...and by pretty much everything I mean fad diets, weight watchers, Atkins, straight veggies, straight fruit...etc...etc. Just cutting calories, just cutting fat...just not eating...eh. The list is long. So it's understandable that they like something like this. It really works, it's the Only FDA approved product of it's kind. That's why I tried it. Can it be a problem? yes. Thank you for putting it out there. Also, it won't take all of the fat out of foods, just up to half....the reason it targets fat beyond the obvious is that fat calories are much more than other calories and so it cuts down on how many are absorbed overall. I do think that it takes away more than fat though, that it drains of other nutrients, so yes it can be risky there as well.

I guess after my long drawn out drawl....basically it does have it's risks, we're (the majority) are not taking it so we don't have to exercise or change our eating.....it's just a helper. I have seen people use it badly though, even the maker probably expected this. No offense, just felt the need to reply in some way.

happynottsgirl
07-28-2010, 10:01 PM
About the 6 month thing, I think my mom told me that, and also I read it in one article, so yes I have no idea if this is in the official directions.

In my opinion, if I needed to take it for long (for example lot of weight to lose, not my case) I would go on and off it, as in give the body a break here and there to restore itself.

The gym-going for me is recent, at the beginning I started working out at home because I had a terrible self-image and wanted to lose weight before joining a gym. I got to the point where I felt like I didn't look too bad in exercise clothes, and now I love the gym hehe.

Kobies Mom
08-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Hi all I used to use this product when it was prescription Xenical and it was aweful...I was afraid to try the otc version. I've been using a product that works in the stomach and not the colon with no side effects and works really well...there are products out there that are better.
Has anyone had the oil leakage with this stuff? Not fun...

Amy8888
08-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Alli is scam. It almost ruined my friend's life... :(:(:(

Don't you love drive-by posts like this with no explanation? Really makes me question the poster's validity. Like perhaps they have no experience with Alli and just want to stir things up?

I tried Alli a couple of years ago but was not committed to it. I re-joined Weight Watchers a year ago and I've done pretty well, but I've been on a plateau for a few months. This is despite joining a gym and actually going! So I decided to re-try Alli. I bought the 60-pill supply just for a boost for a few weeks to finally get me over the plateau. And you know what? I think it's working! I'm not doing anything different than I have been.

Let me repeat that. I am not doing anything different than I have been doing. I've been counting my Weight Watchers points, working my butt off at the gym 5 times a week for months. Now I have added Alli, and I am seeing the scale move.

So yes, I think Alli works but it's not just a magic pill. No, I have not ruined any chairs or experienced anal leakage. Once I am done with this bottle, I will be done with Alli (at least for some period of time). I made the conscious decision to buy Alli to get me over the plateau I've been in, and it's been very motivating to see the scale move again. You really need that when you're following a weight-loss plan for a long time! It's easy to get discouraged!

So if you're interested in Alli, and you are really committed to the lifestyle change prescribed by all the Alli material, I think it can be a major blessing.

kim150
08-07-2010, 08:32 PM
I dont even 'use' Alli for the fat absorption disruption features. I take one each morning. It helps me grab an apple instead of a candy bar, or a serving of peanut butter on bread, b/c I am afraid of side effects. It is a reminder to me to be aware of the tiny portion/large calorie nature of fat-intensive foods. I do eat certain fat-rich foods, such as avacado pieces, etc....plus water and fat soluble vitamins, but I dont 'grab' these while at work....I plan them....just my two cents....=}

kim150
08-07-2010, 08:46 PM
oh, btw i am a 45 year old female, and I run 12- 15 miles per week, with no health issues to date. I have appreciated Alli's contribution to my weight-control arsenal....I am at the border between obese and overweight per the
BMI charts....ugh...middle aged and still fighting.....((((sigh)))))))

Krazy
08-23-2010, 02:13 PM
I've been using Alli since August 15, and I've lost 2.5 pounds. I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but I'm pretty happy with it. I usually eat 35-40 grams of fat per day, and I haven't had any disgusting side effects yet.

dudesmom
08-23-2010, 05:20 PM
I started using Alli in July because I could not keep myself away from the fatty foods that I loved to indulge in. I saw Alli as a means to modify my eating habits, because I was just not able to say "I need to stay away from these foods because they make me fat and unhealthy." Alli makes me say "I need to stay away from these foods because if I don't, there is going to be some icky-ness occuring in my back end region!" I see this purely as a behavior modifier, but one that has really been beneficial to me. I have never had any of the side effects, mostly because I stay far away from high fat food. I feel that I am now in control of my eating and that I have the ability to say no to bad foods because I've been doing it for so long now. When this bottle is done, I'm done. And I believe the 6 month time period that people are referring to is just based on effectiveness, it generally doesn't have any effect on weight loss after the 6 month period.

NightAngel26
08-28-2010, 08:24 AM
so let's see... I've been on Alli since some time in January. What I can see is that it does work, that there has to be a good bout of exercise and eating control or it won't work and there will likely be side effects. I've taken to taking it irregularly because after a few months it appears to stop doing anything. I think the body gets used to it. I have to say though that going off of it seems to allow for weight gain of 5-10 lbs afterward, probably because he body has to get used to regulating it's own processes again. This of course is speculation, but I've been on and off of it and the effects remain the same for me.

for those who feel that exercise is the reason for the loss.... I've exercised alone in the same manner as I have taking Alli, and it makes a lot less of a difference...dieting also has about the same effect...I'd say they're right...Alli makes for 50% of the deal or so. Hope this helps. :cool:

NightAngel26
08-28-2010, 08:29 AM
just for a heads up..... I had been having side pains in my left side just at or under the bottom of my rib cage. They were sharp at first. I went in to my doc because I was worried about the possible side effects I've heard of and she said it was bowels, that on that side in that spot that's all there is really. So even though I was going to the bathroom...and a bit more frequently on Alli, apparently it doesn't necessarily clean everything out and you can imagine what happens then. So, they expressed my need for that fiber stuff you mix into drinks :barf: which I dutifully worked on. I'd say after that and some laxative it was much better. The reason I expressed this here is that never... NEVER in my life have I had a bowel issue, so I'm connecting it to the Alli. I can see why it might happen, after all it sort of makes our body double up on waste. Just a little info for anyone who might be in the same boat. :^:

SomethingHasToGive
09-07-2010, 09:30 PM
So after reading almost all of these post, old and new, I have ordered the starter pack, it isn't here yet but should be soon. My only hesitations are what and were I am eating at work! Because of where I work and limited options of bringing my own, we eat fast food 4 or 5 days a week :( I have recently started ordering salads each day except 1 day, and I'm not missing the hamburger and French fries all that much. However with the TE I am already scared to eat lunch and I don't usually eat breakfast.
Any suggestions to eating fast food while taking Alli?
Thanks,

NightAngel26
09-21-2010, 07:21 AM
hey, so you're worried about fast food with Alli? Well, I hate to be a downer but it will probably affect you. Everyone is different though...but I'll tell you how it works for me....yes I do give in to the fast food sometimes...and sometimes more than I should. I find that small servings of it aren't too bad but when you go med and large it tends to get messy, especially with fried foods like french fries. I find pizza to be one of the worst as well but one piece seems to be mostly ok. If you eat 3-4 pieces in one sitting you can expect issues anywhere from before you even finish the meal to the next day in the afternoon. :devil:

oh, and yes I'm still taking it but I think my body adjusts to it so I'm trying a two week on, one week off method...the leveling out seemed to start after about three months for me...just no result, even if I ate junk nothing happened....quite strange. The two on one off seems to reset it for the most part.

aaop2011
01-02-2011, 11:26 PM
I have read reviews on 'alli' and I have had a great laugh by some who just did not 'do' or 'go' by or one who took an 'alli' pill with slimfast, then could not understand why they excess bowel movements! lol on a good note, since you KNOW the effects of 'alli', I eat a banana every morning, (which does help with 'loose stools') with a cup of coffee and maybe have a slice of toast. For lunch, I eat maybe 2 ounces of cheese or cheddar with fruit, grapes, an apple, now for dinner, it is free game. I have lost 23 pounds in three months and have gone from a size 22 to a size 16-18 pants. I do not go hungry, I plan what I have for dinner, bar b que chicken, pork ribs, with mashed potatoes, lasagne, spaghetti w/ meatballs. as long as you eat between 1000 to 1200 calories aday, and with small grandkids around all of the time, I know I do pass these calories. I usually take one pill a day. On weekends maybe two. It is slow weight loss, but the weight will come off. Bottom line, I am losing, not only weight, but inches. I have finally found something, that actually works and no hype. I do want to thank 'alli' for all the help it is giving me. ;-)

NightAngel26
01-04-2011, 04:33 PM
aaop2011- hey thanks for writing about your experience. It's been a while since snyone posted on here. My use of Alli is sporadic as I find that it slows terribly over time and I have to stop and restart to get any change....either way certainly it's a useful tool in the battle of the bulge.

Asherah
01-07-2011, 02:12 AM
So reading this forum gave me the confidence I needed in alli to order it. I started running every other day and taking alli on the 1st of January. I'm down 3lbs! Its a big enough loss that I feel accomplished without feeling like its totally unhealthy. Mostly it works as aversion therapy for me. I avoid fatty foods as much as possible b/c I fear the dreaded treatment side effects. For the first time in my life, when I eat out I'm bringing half of my food home for later! I've never been able to do this before! Fat grams aren't everything to a healthy diet but it keeps me honest. Also the myalli program (which can be used through the code in the starter pack) is really excellent for meal planning. It was a unexpected and wonderful surprise! I'll write back in a month after I finsh my small starter pack with the results. I'm hopeful!

NightAngel26
01-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Hey Asherah, that's cool you decided to check it out. I myself had trouble with the site, mostly with the forums....they just didn't change much...but it's been soem time since my starter pack so they hopefully fixed the bug.

I'm back on my Alli, I was off for a while because there's no point in taking it if you eat really badly...which I did and gained the entire 35lbs back I lost while on it at the beginning of last year. :o

I'll tell ya, it gives me headaches..started after the first few months I think.. and a lot of fat generally means the yucks....also some belly cramps at times...but I think it really helps. It does slow down though and a little exercise at least is key.

Let us know how it goes, love to see progress reports! :carrot:

Aunt Sheshie
02-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Has anybody had any numbness of toes/fingers/whatever that you can associate with taking Alli?.. I decided to try Alli to maybe bust me out of this plateau I've been on for a few weeks... I was on it for only a day & started noticing some of my toes were tingling... by the end of the second day (yesterday), almost all my toes, on both feet, were numb & white... this morning, they were still numb, so I'm discontinuing Alli for the time being to see if the feeling comes back... I really wanted to give Alli an honest try, but that side effect, if it really is from Alli, is more than I can take...

BTW, I googled "Alli numbness" & got a few hits...

Best wishes & congrats to all who are successful with this product... wish I could join you...

hugs :hug:

Updates:

2/12/2011 - After being off Alli almost 2 days, the feeling in my toes is coming back... right foot almost all the way back, left foot much less numb than yesterday...
2/14/2011 - Right foot back to normal, left foot only a couple of toes with numbness on the tips...

NightAngel26
02-15-2011, 11:48 AM
That's an interesting side effect...I don't recall anything like that, but I get numb and tingly hands and fingers anyway from what I guess is carpal tunnel... but not all the time...just when there's a lot of wrist/hand activity like typing and definitely writing. keep us posted...it's good to know what's out there.....maybe it has a link to poor circulation? Not sure.

PrimeTime
03-02-2011, 02:42 PM
I want to try Alli really bad but after reading this forum, I'm still debating if it's worth it. I've managed to lose 10.8lbs in a month on my own. It's just a tad bit scary having to worry about anal leakage...lol

NightAngel26
03-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Hey, it's cool that you're considering it... definitely a personal thing of course. You're doing very well on your own. Remember that if you're just starting out it's going to slow down, it's supposed to. This would happen with or without Alli.... either way it can be a little expensive to keep buying, I'm still using it off and on but having trouble with keeping a good diet to make it useful.

Thighs Be Gone
03-09-2011, 10:21 AM
I am a user of ALLI. What I can say is that it's a help. Do you need to be careful what you are eating? YES. Do you need to read the enclosed materials before you start taking it? YES. Do you need to follow the plan they lay out (that includes nutrition within boudaries and moderate exercise)? YES.

Alli does work.

kellyg
03-15-2011, 03:01 PM
I posted this in the calorie counters forum and thought I should post here as well:

Studies have show that when combined with diet and exercise, people seem to lose 6 pounds more annually (and that's if taking the higher dose prescription drug Xenixal) when compared with controls who diet and exercise without alli.

Does it work? Yes. It's mechanism of action is to inhibit pancreatic lipase in the gut and therefore inhibit breakdown of fatty acids so that you excrete them without digestion.

Is it worth it? Probably not. For a few extra pounds yearly, you are exposing yourself to a possible risk (there has not been enough long term studies on potential risk factors), dealing with the awful side effects (flatulence, oily stool), and paying a decent amount for the pills. Very few physicians would recommend it but few would discourage you from it if you really insist.

dragonlady1978
03-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Personally I cannot believe that the FDA would approve a medicine for weight loss if 6 pounds a year is the benefit.
The expense to your wallet and your health just doesn't seem worth it. Let's spend $600 to be 6 pounds lighter in a year...oh, and by the way-don't forget to factor in the cost of a couple new pairs of underwear lol.

Yet another to add to my list of many reasons that I don't have trust in what they say.

I have taken some risks experimenting with diet pills over the last 15 years or more that in hindsight were pretty stupid. Something about getting older and still being fat in spite of it all that makes me be alot more wary and skeptical.

kellyg
04-01-2011, 03:30 AM
Personally I cannot believe that the FDA would approve a medicine for weight loss if 6 pounds a year is the benefit.
The expense to your wallet and your health just doesn't seem worth it. Let's spend $600 to be 6 pounds lighter in a year...oh, and by the way-don't forget to factor in the cost of a couple new pairs of underwear lol.

Yet another to add to my list of many reasons that I don't have trust in what they say.

I have taken some risks experimenting with diet pills over the last 15 years or more that in hindsight were pretty stupid. Something about getting older and still being fat in spite of it all that makes me be alot more wary and skeptical.
Absolutely agreed. The FDA is led by pharmaceutical companies and politicians. They really don't give a crap about what's healthy or good for consumer's wallets. I never put anything in my body that hasn't been approved by the FDA...because I believe they have really low standards for what they'd accept and if it's not a popular enough product to warrant investigation or receive approval by the FDA, I don't want that anywhere near me. Now for the things the FDA approves, I do my own research and make a decision. pubmed is an amazing resource...Everyone should just look at the clinical studies done on the products. If it hasn't been tested, it's sketchy!

No effective diet pill is healthy!!! Everything will cause long term complications and eventually cause you to gain weight! (try exercising with heart problems, which is what most of these drugs cause) They're still trying to find a pill solution to this obesity crisis (arguably one of the most researched fields in medicine today) and not a single thing out there has worked. So pills are not the answer...at least not yet.

Mishflynn
04-08-2011, 02:47 AM
For breakfast , i have Bran flakes with Semi skimmed milk . Obvisley there is "some" fat in the milk. Would any one bother using Alli with this?

shutterbug711
04-18-2011, 06:39 PM
My husband has been on Alli for 6 weeks and I'm following the exact same diet & exercise program as he is. Our weights are close and he's only a few inches taller than I. I've lost 10 lbs since he started, he's lost 5 lbs. He started a new bottle because he says the threat of crapping his pants works for him.

BTW, he's had no side effects yet.

mrs_streams
04-20-2011, 06:22 PM
I everyone! My dr gave me a 20 pill starter pack with a bunch of books and flip chart. I am loking everything over and going to start Friday; as it seems I need to prepare.

Butterfly2011
11-03-2011, 02:46 PM
My question is

is it better to do 15g fat per meal w/ Alli

or have less fat per meal & ditch the Alli?

I just realized that my fat is way below what I am supposed to have for being on Alli....why increase my fat just to take Alli?

joltyness
11-03-2011, 03:27 PM

Thank you for saying this. I was going to post something similar. My sister took Alli for a little while, but the messy stools got tiring fast, so she stopped. She gained back what little weight she lost very quickly. Sixty dollars flushed down the toilet... literally.

Not to mention that Alli perpetuates the false notion that all fats are bad. What about unsaturated fats, which help regulate your cholesterol? Alli blocks those as well. Say good-bye to your Omega 3 supplement!

I don't see the harm in this if used by those seeking to lose 5-10 pounds and already exercise and have a low-fat diet. Unfortunately, most see it as a quick way to lose lots of weight fast, which is unhealthy in and of itself without the help of an expensive pill that makes you crap your pants.

Really, do you guys want to spend $50+ a month for the rest of your adult lives on this stuff?

Slow Weave
11-13-2011, 11:02 AM
When I was on it I found it worked but not enough to make me stay on it. I have a hard time staying motivated. I have gone to the Ideal Protein diet which has worked for me much better. Each person is different so I hope Alli works better for you than it did for me. Good luck.

RockemSockem
11-13-2011, 04:00 PM
I've had a hard time committing to it, same with any exercise or diet plan, however when I consistently take it with every meal (that I feel like I need to), it absolutely helps me lose weight. Either way I have to watch what I eat and exercise but without Alli, I was just maintaining my weight, once I started taking it (about 3 months consistently) the scale has finally started moving.

I know people who have had no success with it, and people who had way too many side effects. So I guess it all depends.

For breakfast , i have Bran flakes with Semi skimmed milk . Obvisley there is "some" fat in the milk. Would any one bother using Alli with this?

I definitely would not, if there's not enough fat it can give you some serious cramps. They also tell you how much fat a meal should have before you take it and I've found a lot of diet meals don't have enough.

Side effects wise for me, if I eat the recommended amount of fat I don't get the...mess I'll say. Take it with a cheeseburger and fries and you'll regret it.

The key for me is, I drink a big glass of fiber with every single pill, binds up any oil that may come out.

I still take supplements (Fish Oil included) but I take it at a time when it's not effected by the pill and I do not take Alli 3 times a day, my breakfast never has much fat, and sometimes my dinner doesn't either.

michelereith
11-15-2011, 07:06 PM
I have been reading the replies from the past years and I'm thinking about starting this and picking up the starter kit from Costco today. I quit smoking recently and I feel like if I even look at food I gain weight. I'm at my highest ever. I started back exercising the past couple of weeks but I am hoping with Alli that I will be more motivated to eat healthier considering the side effects. I am seeing some good consistent pointers:

1. Eat low fat (15gm per meal of fat)
2. Continue to exercise
3. Take a fiber supplement
4. Take a multivitamin (is it best to take the multivitamin at night after I eat? Also, is it okay to take fish oil at night too?)
5. Drink lots of water

Are there any other pointers for success while using Alli? I appreciate the encouragement!!!

RockemSockem
11-16-2011, 01:07 PM
4. Take a multivitamin (is it best to take the multivitamin at night after I eat? Also, is it okay to take fish oil at night too?)
5. Drink lots of water

Are there any other pointers for success while using Alli? I appreciate the encouragement!!!

For me, it's better to take my multi and fish oil in the morning before I take Alli so it can absorb without any residual Alli interference.

Alli takes a while to work its way through my system so when I took fish oil at night, after having taken Alli earlier in the day, it blocked my fish oil absorption which makes for a troublesome morning :( .

Wimpster
12-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Alli is a fat absorption pill and has some appetite suppressant properties. At $50 or so a month, it's a legitimate question, "Does it work?"

It certainly does work for some people, as seen in these posts. But that is almost besides the point. IMHO, this type of product, while possibly helpful, is preventing you from transforming your mind and body to a healthy place.

Is it possible that you sometimes, or maybe oftentimes eat when you are not really hungry?

For most of us, the answer is absolutely YES! That being the case, what benefit is there to a pill that suppresses your appetite but then you eat when you're not hungry anyway?

The Mayo Clinic estimates the weight loss benefit of Alli to be about 3 lbs per year, compared to a sensible diet and exercise program. You can read about it on the Mayo Clinic website.

Having periods of real hunger during the day is normal during the weight loss mode and beyond. It is not something to be feared but something to expect and be grateful for...it means you didn't overeat at the last meal and that you are dropping pounds...yeah!

ubskinnyagain75
03-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Alli - I tried it a couple of times but it made me have stomach issues and bathroom issues even when I was following a low fat diet. What a waste of cash. I'm on Medifast now and your body NEEDS some fat believe it or not. Alli blocks it all and that's not healthy for you, your heart actually needs to have some fat around it for protective reasons (dr. told me this). Alli is just another quick fix.
LOW CALORIE DIET AND EXERCISE - THAT'S WHAT WORKS!!!!!
HIGH CALORIE DIET AND NO EXERCISE - THAT'S WHAT WORKED TO GET YOU FAT!
Reverse it!

Ellie143
04-12-2012, 08:30 PM
I took Alli for 2 years. I lost weight. 30 pounds. However it messed up my gallbladder pretty bad. And the stools really nasty. Also the flatus smell, yuk!

Within a short time I put the weight back on.

surfergirl2
06-04-2012, 06:42 PM
I was thinking about trying this but i would just do one pill a day, for my largest meal, dinner. I was thinking it would safeguard me from overeating because of the nasty side effects if you do overeat. Has that worked for anyone?

Also, i've looked at a couple places online and they all say out of stock. Is it available in stores right now?

ringmaster
06-04-2012, 08:43 PM
I don't know if I posted this here already- but every time I see Alli brought up I think "if they could just fix that poopy problem it might be the near perfect diet pill"... like why hasn't science found a way so that issue can be controlled and actually make this a more practical diet pill? Other pills suppress your appetite so you don't eat those bad foods, but Alli could almost let you eat anything you want - and eliminates the most calorie dense part of most of our favorite foods, that fat- so it would cut alot of calories for us! (of course we would still have to get around the sugary foods).

nelie
06-04-2012, 08:45 PM
I don't know how it'd be a perfect diet pill since really it only reduces the amount of fat calories you ingest, approximately 100 calories/day on a 1500 calorie/day diet. That isn't a lot. The 'poopy' problem is actually the 'magic' of the pill. Of course you could just eat a low fat, high sugar diet and the poopy problem wouldn't exist but then you can still overeat.

surfergirl2
06-05-2012, 12:16 AM
I think it just depends on the person. A long long time ago i was on Xenical briefly, and yes it could disturb my digestive system and you could definitely tell it was working, but it was never that bad. But more than eliminating fat, i want to use it as a safeguard against eating huge fatty meals. If nothing else, the threat of diarrhea will make me stop eating (i hope).

classykaren
06-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Hello friends Did anyone see Dr oz? Is anyone on Dr Furlman's diet?

eightiesbabe84
06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
If you decide to try it JUST DONT CHEAT!!!! I jumped on the band wagon as soon as it hit the market........cheated once and ended up....OMG! just trust me. I gave up because if I could stick to 10gm of fat a day; I wouldn't need a pill to lose weight!! $140.00 bucks I will never see again

Exhale15
06-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Dr. F's diet has gotten rave reviews. I was on it for a while, but fell off. I go back and forth; the smoothies are great. It's a bit tough to stick to, but many have with good result.

cbart123
06-18-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't know if I posted this here already- but every time I see Alli brought up I think "if they could just fix that poopy problem it might be the near perfect diet pill"... like why hasn't science found a way so that issue can be controlled and actually make this a more practical diet pill? Other pills suppress your appetite so you don't eat those bad foods, but Alli could almost let you eat anything you want - and eliminates the most calorie dense part of most of our favorite foods, that fat- so it would cut alot of calories for us! (of course we would still have to get around the sugary foods).

That "poopy problem" is the mechanism by which it works. Its so reliable that they expect users to modify their behavior while on it (or else they have a treatment err... effect).

I tried it a couple of years ago and didn't get more than some warm runs in my clothes. However, that's not to say it wont work for you. Honestly, we owe it to ourselves to try things and not go on what "everybody else" says. The products that I've had success with, may have not have worked for you etc.

happynottsgirl
11-18-2012, 04:24 AM
I am one of those people who have used alli without problems. This is my second time using it. Will only use a 90-pill bottle so just a month. So far it is working great. What I like about alli, is that you always lose weight, at least me anyway, every single day, even if I am not eating the healthiest diet. I eat pizza sometimes and still no problem.

My mother used it when it came out, at the time I was vehemently against using any kind of pill and I remember being very rude to her about using it. A couple of years later I decided to give it a try.

happynottsgirl
11-18-2012, 04:26 AM
I've had a hard time committing to it, same with any exercise or diet plan, however when I consistently take it with every meal (that I feel like I need to), it absolutely helps me lose weight. Either way I have to watch what I eat and exercise but without Alli, I was just maintaining my weight, once I started taking it (about 3 months consistently) the scale has finally started moving.

I know people who have had no success with it, and people who had way too many side effects. So I guess it all depends.

I definitely would not, if there's not enough fat it can give you some serious cramps. They also tell you how much fat a meal should have before you take it and I've found a lot of diet meals don't have enough.

Side effects wise for me, if I eat the recommended amount of fat I don't get the...mess I'll say. Take it with a cheeseburger and fries and you'll regret it.

The key for me is, I drink a big glass of fiber with every single pill, binds up any oil that may come out.

I still take supplements (Fish Oil included) but I take it at a time when it's not effected by the pill and I do not take Alli 3 times a day, my breakfast never has much fat, and sometimes my dinner doesn't either.

Yes, you should be eating fat in order to take it. The first time I took alli I was having dinners like tuna and spinach. I felt nauseous and now I know why. When taking alli I think it is better to have a more fat and protein based diet than carb-based diet.