Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Default Fat distribution?

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this topic, but I didn't know where else to post it...

Does anyone know why some people gain weight in certain places, and others gain weight in others? I've always wondered, but have never been able to find a clear answer besides genetics.

Second question: where do YOU gain the most fat?

I personally grew love handles after gaining a load of weight (but no gut, thankfully - I always thought maybe people grew "jelly rolls" because their stomachs were so fat that they had to expand to the sides, but that's definitely not so! haha) I also gained some on my butt, thighs, and face, but the love handles are by far the most obvious (in my eyes) and unquestionably the most bothersome!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 259/140/140

Height: 5'6"

When I was younger I used to gain in my hips and butt, but always smaller in the belly and up top. Well since I gained well over a 100 lbs and lost it, I have no butt and my hips are much smaller. I have belly fat. Well not really belly fat just a bunch of loose skin that looks like belly fat. I also have boobs. Before I gained weight I wore a size 34B. After my weight gain I wore a 44DD. Now since losing weight I wear a size 36C. I guess our body changes as we age, gain and lose, and just plain genetics all play a role in where we have the most fat.
Terrie
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Genetics is the best answer i have for the first question. for the second, i think i gained the most in my belly and thighs. i was just looking at my body in the mirror last night trying to decide how many pounds of fat i had to lose and from where. and besides you know wanting to lose a few inches in the arms and shoulders and back areas, my most troublesome area is my belly and thighs and maybe my butt. hips are really okay, although i know i have to lose those alittle more as my waist measurements go down, but yeah....stomach and thighs and butt it where the most fat is stored.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #4  
...to everything

S/C/G: 170/170/120-130?

Height: 5'3"

Besides genetics, I really don't have an answer for the first question, either. Sorry!

I guess I'm fairly "lucky" in that I tend to gain weight all over - although my thighs will always be fairly heavy and I will never have a tiny waist or small chest, when I gain weight it's pretty evenly distributed. I'm thankful for that! At the same time, though, I don't see huge differences when I lose weight, because I'm losing it from everywhere, too!
RidiculouslyAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #5  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I tend to gain all over... to a point. The it goes straight to my butt and my belly after that.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

I agree it's all genetics. I gain in my thighs and belly mostly.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #7  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Probably a bit more on the belly/waistline, but otherwise I seemed to have gained it all over ~ probably one reason I didn't really noticed until I found out I needed new jeans.

Genetics has a huge play in it, but I believe that dietary factors come into play too -- those who eat a lot of highly-refined/processed foods laden with fats/sugars are more likely to gain fat around the middle (the bad kind since that increases risk for diabetes/cardiovascular diseases moreso than fats around hips/arms/legs).
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:51 PM   #8  
Ready to do it!

S/C/G: 215/ticker/164

GENETICS!! LOL-Aren't they just NOT Fair!! I agree! But I might be able to elaborate a little more. I read this in my Atkins Book a few years back. Let me know if you guys have heard of this or if I'm explaining it wrong...

There are 2 basic ways to gain weight. In your stomach area (round) or hips and thighs/ limbs (Pear shaped) . Typically you will gain weight all over but you should be able to figure out where MOST of your fat deposits. When you gain fat in your stomach it puts you at more risk because you are gaining fat around important organs and such. Pear shaped is more of a surface fat. It's just over your muscle... and is supposed to be easier to lose....

That's what I remember from what I read. But I think that still goes back to GENECTICS!
4thebigday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:54 PM   #9  
Ready to do it!

S/C/G: 215/ticker/164

Forgot to say where I gain! I pack it on in the hips/butt/thighs. And arms. I HATE That!! The odd thing is that I noticed my figure stays the same...it just gets larger to scale!! Hahaha. *sigh*
4thebigday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #10  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Most of my weight is in my legs (thighs and calves). My butt and hips are pretty much proportional and I have a defined waist. It's definitely mostly in my legs, I even have thick ankles! lol
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #11  
Yes, indeed.

S/C/G: 176/170/125

My weight is all in my midsection, and if I'm overweight at all I get a horrible double chin. My arms, legs, and thighs are all fine - and my tush is embarassingly small in comparison to my belly. Just within the past year, some of my fat has managed to shift to back fat - which I hate more than anything. There's nothing like rolls poking out underneath your bra and showing through your shirt. =/
cupcakesundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:49 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesundae View Post
My weight is all in my midsection, and if I'm overweight at all I get a horrible double chin. My arms, legs, and thighs are all fine - and my tush is embarassingly small in comparison to my belly. Just within the past year, some of my fat has managed to shift to back fat - which I hate more than anything. There's nothing like rolls poking out underneath your bra and showing through your shirt. =/
OMG! your fat distribution is just like mine!! I have nice legs with thighs that don't rub together, great calf muscles, toned arms, LOVE HANDLES (but a flat stomach, is that weird or what?), and a DOUBLE CHIN that is thankfully shrinking now that I am. By the time I hit 155 (no longer overweight), it will probably be gone. I used to have a white girl booty, but now that I've gained, I've thankfully gained some junk in the trunk and now get lots of compliments on it Haha... I hope it doesn't shrink along with me

We are genetically screwed.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:56 AM   #13  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Hmmm, when I put on weight I put it on in my face (thats why its sooo annoying because everyone notices when I put on weight), I also put it on in the boobs (the problem with that is when I've put on weight "suddenly" I get stretch marks on them) and I have MASSIVE stretch marks on my love-handles... ****... I just put it on everywhere... Lol I was going to go on to say in my upper thighs and arms.... my stomach and waist are always the LAST to show signs of getting bigger. So I know that when my stomach or waist start to disapear I know that I've put on weight BIG TIME! Last semester I put on like 14 pounds in a couple of months... Bad news where stretch marks are concerned.
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #14  
Happy New Rears!

I always wondered about weight distribution, especially on men, like my Dad for instance. He has thin, fit legs, arms, normal face/chin, small butt but a big round tummy.

I gain weight everywhere but my boobs, they are always small no matter what
ThinGirl in FatBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

My trouble spot is my stomach. First to come, last to go.

I have such a weird body shape. Seriously. I have no hips, but a huge booty. I have a stomach, and I have big boobs. Last time I was this weight I was a 36B, and I'm a 36D now. I was a 40DD when I started losing weight. I think it's weird... the only way I can tell that I'm losing weight, is to look at my boobs in comparison to the rest of me!

I hate my stomach, though. It's my least favorite part of me. It's so hard to find pants that don't leave me with a muffin top. Grr.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote