Old 06-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #1  

Default Hi Everyone I'm new here and having a tough time...

My name is Amanda. I'm a 27 year old wife and mother of a six year old and an 8 month old. My weight and my waist is at an all time high of 208 and I know I need to lose weight... I want to lose weight.. I just have no clue where to start. I've dieted in the past and the thing that was easiest for me to follow was Weight Watchers so I suppose I should just restart that.

I just don't understand why it's so hard to get started on something you know?
Aces21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #2  
doinTHEbestIcan

Height: 5'4"

I understand Amanda. The first day is always the hardest but once you get past that you will be smooth sailing from there!

Good Luck!!
mrsgeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I did weight watchers at home back in the day and lost about 80 lbs. I gained 15 or so back, so I figured WW would work again, after all, it's what worked intially, right?

However, when I started, I wanted to lose weight so damn fast that I did a horrible job of sticking with it, bingeing because I was upset at the lack of weight loss ( isn't _that_counter intuitive?)...

I recently moved, and have stuck w/ the program for almost 3 weeks...with no scale. I'm not saying you should eschew the scale, but i found what really helped for me was just incorporating it into my life and letting the weight loss happen rather than wrap my life around weight loss, and let my loss, or lack thereof,dictate how I should feel. Have I eaten perfectly? No. Have I worked out like I should? Probably not..but when I lost all that weight before, I just let it happen. I find when I obsess about it, it's almost like that keeps me from either staying on plan or seeing a loss.

Also, I find that by also looking for non-scale related successes also helps. With no scale, I go by my clothes fitting, how I feel, little things like that, is it easier for me to do a crunch? Can I lift more weight? It's much more encouraging that being slave to a number.

Whatever program you choose, be sure you can do it for the long haul. I envy those who have huge success on Atkins, but I know that's not for me. It's not wrong or bad, just not right for my life.

Boy, am I long winded...sorry!! Everyone on these boards is hugely helpful,there is always someone who is going through what you are. Don't be afraid ot ask questions to anyone. Help is on it's way!!
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #4  

The hardest part is getting started. I have started and stopped a million times, it seems. But usually, once you get started, you kind of fall into the routine and it gets easier. Then it just comes down to fighting temptation and cravings, if that is something you battle. If you find the secret to getting started, let me know!
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #5  
Mom to an active 1 yr old

S/C/G: 175/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'8

I completely understand. I know it's hard to start anything new...but honestly once you start it and get use to a routine, you will be feeling great about it and want to do it even more.

I have a one month old and I know that it can be hard to find the time to exercise...especially since you have two children. But even if you can find 10 mins here and there to exercise, everything will add up and count. Good luck on doing the weight watchers..I have known many people who have been successful with that program.
Alaynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 350/310/154

Height: 5'8

The hardest thing is getting started again, especially when you fall into a rut with your weight. It took 3 weeks of me putting my coat on and getting ready to set off and deciding against it before I got my head out of the sand and plucked up the courage to go to a WW meeting earlier this year. I kept convincing myself that I would give myself one more week. I thought I was the fattest person alive and was really embarassed to even go to the meeting. I even spent the last day of 'freedom' (as I then thought of it) eating obscene amounts of junk. But when I finally went, I was pleasantly surprised!

Just try to break through that wall of fear; I found that there's no need to be so worried about the initial part of the journey. Yeah it's scary, but it's kind of exciting too.

I find that WW really works for me, especially the Points plan. That way I can cook big low fat meals and snack too. I can also fit in the odd takeaway or lunch on the go if needs be without it wrecking my diet. It's not for everybody I guess, but as someone who LOVES to eat, I would whole heartedly encourage you to give it a go again.
Lex In The City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #7  
~~Joanne~~

S/C/G: 178/151/150

Height: 5'3

You can do this! We are here for ya!
wateraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

I am the queen of starting diets and quitting after a week or two when I get bummed out that the weight that I put on over 'x amount' of years didn't just vanish in 'x amount' of days.. lol. But look at me now, I'm losing! Wanna know how? It's a secret. Come closer.

Don't diet! Make it a lifestyle change. Decide to live healthier and make small steps. Soon they will become habits. I don't drink diet shakes or eat diet food. I eat real portions of yummy food, and if there is something that I really want, then I work around it for the day. I am very in tune with my body right now and know when I need to up or lower my calories to lose. I don't feel deprived.. I feel completely satisfied and actually feel like I eat all day long! And the best part of all, it shows on the scale. And it's so easy! So take my advice- don't look at it as a temporary diet. Look at your life, what you buy, what you cook, how you prepare it, what you do on a daily basis, etc. Make healthier choices at the store and learn how to prepare food in a healthier way- it will allow you to eat more of the things that you love and feel good about it, and you'll be making a great choice for your children. If you don't get out much, try getting out with another mom and walking, or do some exercise tapes while the kiddos are napping. You can do this. If I can, anyone can.
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

I did weightwatchers twice. Both times it worked for a while but I fell off the wagon when I hit a plateau. This time I've decided to count calories instead and it has been working well because I don't have the pressure of paying to lose weight. I feel like I really learned my basics about healthy weight loss from Weight Watchers, and it was definitely a good place to start.

If you are having trouble getting started, try making a few little changes. Take the kids out and run around in the park, replace snacks with fruits and vegetables and drink 8 glasses of water. Little steps can be enough to help you start feeling better, then it will be hard to quit!
Romeos Girly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #10  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

Height: 5'6"

deciding you want to loss weight is the right start and in my opinion you have to really want to do it and it is hard to get started you need to set time aside for the exercise and really pay attention to what you are doing but after a while it just becomes a routine. it is getting it started that is the hardest.
mrsaugie is offline   Reply With Quote