General chatter - Carpet or hardwood floors? PLEASE HELP!!

doIlookfat?
06-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Which would you prefer if you were house shopping? My mom is selling grandma's house and she doesn't know which one a perspective buyer would want. I told her I would try to get as much responses as possible. She is afraid to make the wrong decision. Right now she is leaning on carpet, but I said hardwood.

Please help!:^: :^: :^: :^: :^: :^:

Heidi

sockmonkey70
06-13-2007, 12:31 AM
I would say neither. Real wood can be hard to maintain, and carpet is a pain too.

Go with a wood finish vinyl or linoleum. Looks great, and easy to maintain.

BlueToBlue
06-13-2007, 12:34 AM
Hardwood is definitely the way to go. Your mom's real estate agent should be able to give her advice like this; part of the real estate agent's job is to give you suggestions for how to make the house more marketable. Right now hardwood floors are much more popular than wall-to-wall carpeting. All the houses in our neighborhood that have new or refinished hardwood floors (or even laminate flooring) go faster and for more money than the ones with wall-to-wall carpeting.

On a personal note, when I moved into my current house it had wall-to-wall carpeting that we pulled up so we could refinish the hardwood floors underneath. I was shocked at how disgusting those carpets were. Having seen what was underneath them, I will never consider living with wall-to-wall carpeting again. The floors were filthy; so much dirt it looked like a beach. And there were mushrooms growing under the carpet and numberous pet urine stains. Nasty.

And real wood is a cinch to maintain; easier than linoleum or vinyl, which is easily damaged. I've lived in my house for seven years. We had the hardwood floors refinished before we moved and they still look brand new. The only thing I ever do to clean them is sweep/vacuum. The linoleum in the kitchen however, which was installed at the same time, has not held up nearly so well. It is nicked in several places, has started to discolor, and is starting to come up at the seams. The same thing goes for the wood floors vs. linoleum in my parents' house--so it's not just me. These days, hardwood floors are all finished with polyurethene, which is very hard to damage. The hardwood floors from a couple of decades or so ago were much harder to maintain, but that just isn't true anymore.

Of course, this decision should also be made with consideration for the neighborhood. If it is mostly starter homes and rentals, the typical buyers may not be able to afford hardwood and you won't get your investment in it back. If it all the other homes in the neighborhood have hardwood, you would be crazy to do wall-to-wall carpeting. This is why it's good to talk to a real estate agent who knows the local market. No one responding on this forum had any idea how your Grandma's home compares to other homes in the neighborhood, which is going to be the most critical factor in selling in it.

Glory87
06-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Hardwoods all the way - it was one of the deciding factors when I bought my house. I looooved the way the floors looked in the sun. I used a swiffer every couple of days and mopped every 2 weeks - no issues keeping them pretty.

NurseChef
06-13-2007, 05:58 AM
I would pick the wood flooring that Home Depot installs. It snaps into itself and happens to be beautiful. It also is nice because the pieces can be taken out and a new flooring can be installed.

Many people have allergies. Carpets are pretty but collect allergens. After awhile, they mat down and look bad. It's costly also to get a company in to do carpet cleaning.

I prefer beautiful area rugs. Makes the room beautiful. I have to keep our berber carpet for now because my Mom is just shy of 80 y/o. If I had the house on my own, this carpeting would be all taken up except for the bedrooms. I like carpeting there.

chevyjnova
06-13-2007, 06:22 AM
Hard Wood.....So much easier to maintain and you always have the option of area rugs.

sfj
06-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Hardwood. Looks so much nicer than carpet. If she puts carpet in they will probably just rip it up anyway and put in the hardwood.

settie
06-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Hardwood - richer looking, easier to maintain - also, if there is anyone with asthma or dust type allergies they are far better than carpet.

nelie
06-13-2007, 10:00 AM
I just bought a house and the whole first floor is hardwood, I'm in love!! :) It took us about 2 seconds to decide we wanted to buy it. (That isn't the only reason, there were a lot of factors)

Also, I would suggest going with a lighter hard wood. It makes the rooms look brighter. We saw a lot of places with lighter hard wood and darker and I always thought the lighter looked nicer.

SoulBliss
06-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Hardwood! Hardwood! Hardwood!

I saw the house I currently live in and there were hardwood floors (oh, JOY!!! :D ) and much to my dismay, when we actually moved in, they had CARPETED it! :mad: It was almost a deal breaker (seriously). :(

lizziness
06-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Wood or wood-looking flooring. Bamboo and Cork are good alternatives for renewable resources.

nelie
06-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Oh another piece of advice. I don't know the official name for it but stay away from linoleum wood flooring. I saw a house with it and was instantly turned off.

SoulBliss
06-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Oh another piece of advice. I don't know the official name for it but stay away from linoleum wood flooring. I saw a house with it and was instantly turned off.Is it Pergo?

nelie
06-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Is it Pergo?

No, Pergo actually looks decent. It is linoleum like and looks very obvious.

JayEll
06-13-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm just buying a new house, and one of the selling points for me was that they had put hardwood floors in part of it. Real hardwood--not Pergo. But part is also carpeted. So, we kind of have it both ways.

Jay

mals1
06-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Hardwood! Carpet can get disgusting. Our next house will definately have harwood in the main areas/carpet in the bedrooms is fine. Ceramic tile or vinyl that looks like tile in the bathrooms and laundry room.

alinnell
06-13-2007, 05:39 PM
I love hardwood floors and had them in my house in Utah, but here in So Cal the trend is tile and we have a lot of tile! It certainly isn't as warm as wood, though. I have a friend who recently put bamboo flooring in her home and it looks fabulous (just like wood--well, I guess it is a type of wood!).

milleradah
06-13-2007, 05:40 PM
i would say hardwood too i have them threw the house and it was one of the mane reasond we bought this one. i love them

freiamaya
06-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Hey, if your mom is selling your Gramma's house, you may not want to invest in hardwood. Most buyers out there want a home that is absolutely clean and fresh. For the cost of hardwood, you can replace the carpets with new, neutral ones that aren't too expensive and repaint the place to boot. Some say that hardwood is a selling feature, but it really depends on the room and the type of hardwood -mid-tone oaks are out of style, dark wood is somewhat overdone, and trends are towards lighter woods. You might turn off a buyer if you offer oak floors and they want bamboo or natural maple or stained-coffee colored ones. A buyer will look at oak floors and say, boy - what a shame, I hate the color and what a pain to replace them with the bamboo that I want. They will look at a brand new carpet and say, boy - what a shame, but the carpet is new and we can save up to replace it with the bamboo flooring that we like in the future.
If I was to LIVE in the place, I would prefer hardwood. If I was buying a place and the carpet was new, that would be fine, too. If the carpet is OLD, forget it! That is a real turn-off. So is laminate flooring in most above-ground locations. While I have it in my place, UNLESS it is done really, really well, it tends to tell a buyer that you've gone on the cheap. (I expect a ton of hate mail for that, but it is TRUE, from a buyer's persepctive). The same goes for vinyl linoleum, press-and-stick tiles, and wood-tone vinyl flooring. Parquet flooring is an option, and preferable to laminate flooring at about the same cost, but again this option isn't generally well liked by the average buyer.
SO, go for a nice, not too expensive, sisal-type (i.e. low pile) neutral carpet, with an OK underpad (don't go nuts with respect to $$$), and you should be fine.

newFannie07
06-13-2007, 11:11 PM
My vote - hardwood or Pergo type floors called laminate flooring I believe. I don't like Pergo brand itself but had my house done with Aalco(sp?) brand floors and I LOOOOVVVVEEE them. No more vacuuming. Just a swifer dry and wet is all you need.

Kerri

zenor77
06-13-2007, 11:49 PM
As someone who grew up with asthma (and DH never out grew his) I'd say hardwood. New carpet will off-gas VOCs and carpet gets gross really fast. Even if carpet looks clean it most likely isn't. I would be a lot more willing to pay a higher price if the house had hardwood versus carpet, but neither would be a total deal breaker (one way or the other.) Flooring is an easy thing to replace.

Margarita
06-14-2007, 12:11 AM
One of the reasons I bought my current home is for its beautiful oak floors. Wall-to-wall carpet is harder to clean. It harbors all sorts of dust and allergens. For me, wood or high-quality linoleum (the kind where the color goes all the way through instead of just on the surface) is the way to go.

Natalia
06-14-2007, 01:38 AM
HARDWOOD!!!! ;)

I much prefer hardwood over carpet..and I think the majority so. You've got people with allergies who can't take carpeting, and even if you prefer the carpeting it's perceived (and rightly so!) as being less sanitary/grungier than hardwood. Hardwood looks classic and modern at the same time. It goes with everything. Super durable, super easy to keep clean.
My current home is completely hardwood (although it does need to be refinished!) and when we build our next home I told dh its totally hardwood with tile in the entry and bathrooms..he says laminate :no: When is he going to clue in that I'm the boss? :D

sockmonkey70
06-14-2007, 01:48 AM
These days, hardwood floors are all finished with polyurethene, which is very hard to damage. The hardwood floors from a couple of decades or so ago were much harder to maintain, but that just isn't true anymore.

Ahhhh well then that clears up my biase towards hardwood. I lived in an older rental property with beautiful hardwood cypress floors.. Which upon close inspection were really nasty. There were cracks between the wood panels which had collected years of dirt, they were scratched, and part of it was discolored. I don't think they had been finished properly or something, because they were a pain in the butt!!

Now my new house (built in the last two years) has some sort of non wood flooring, which is just finished to look like wood (not sure what the heck it is but it looks great and is so easy to clean up), coupled with ceramic tile in the kitchen and bathrooms. There is carpeting in the bedrooms which I haaaaaate. It stains so easily, and since I have physically pulled up carpet and seen what lurks underneath, I know it is NOT pretty.