Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #1  

Default Anyone exercise just a little?

Hi, all. Well, today was the first time I've exercised in months. About 2 years ago when I was really gung ho into weight loss, I was exercising at least 5 days a week (usually 6) for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours a day. I lost 50 lbs. and looked good. I started a new job in 2005, got stressed, and pretty much stopped my healthy eating and exercising. I regained 30 lbs. Anyway, my local gym is having a special ($60 for 3 months), and I took advantage of the offer, thinking that if I'm consistent, I'll purchase a longer membership. I just worked out a mere 30 minutes today (20 cardio, 10 minutes of various resistance exercises: "girl" pushups, assisted pull-ups, some situps, walking lunges), and I'm already sore tonight (can't wait for tomorrow-- ).

Anyway, this time around, I don't want to hurl myself gung ho into the exercise thing because I know I'll never stick to a rigorous schedule longterm (I didn't last time). So, I'm thinking of working out just 3 days a week for a maximum of 1 hour at a time (I'm starting w/ 1/2 hour while I build up my stamina). Does anyone else here exercise only for about this length of time? If so, what have your results been?
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Wow - compared to me, your plan sounds like LOADS of exercise!

I started week two of the Couch to 5K running programme yesterday, so I am basically doing that three days a week. I might get out on my bike on the weekends, but honestly, so far, that's it for me - half an hour, three times a week, so yes, I guess I only exercise a little bit.

I plan to add some weights in sometime soon

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #3  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Your story sounds just like mine...I began losing weight in 2004...lost almost 50 lbs between the end of 2004 and the beginning of 2006. I was working out almost an hour and a half at least 5 days a week. The end of 2006, I bought a house, moved, and got a promotion at the job...and my weight suffered. I have put back on 30 of the 47 that I lost, which is why I'm here now.

I started out with only 30 minutes a day...but the good thing that I've found is that on the days where I REALLY don't feel like going to the gym, I tell myself to go and do 20 minutes, because that would be better than nothing at all. I NEVER end up doing just 20 minutes, I always end up doing a lot more.

Stick with it, and good luck!
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/115

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnm39 View Post
I just worked out a mere 30 minutes today (20 cardio, 10 minutes of various resistance exercises: "girl" pushups, assisted pull-ups, some situps, walking lunges), and I'm already sore tonight (can't wait for tomorrow-- ).

Does anyone else here exercise only for about this length of time? If so, what have your results been?
This is a great workout, don't beat yourself up about it. I started at this rate too (about a year and half ago) and I'm miles ahead now. You're sore- which means your resistance work went well. Remember, you just have to keep challenging yourself. Your body will adapt in a few weeks and you will just keep getting stronger and stronger.

I started at a 20:00/mile pace... I'm down to sub- 8:00/mile... I also started at 10 girl-pushups, I'm now at 80+ military push-ups... ***just be patient, keep challenging yourself when the time comes, and have faith that it will work!***
marblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:14 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblez View Post
I also started at 10 girl-pushups, I'm now at 80+ military push-ups... ***just be patient, keep challenging yourself when the time comes, and have faith that it will work!***
Oh My--that's fabulous! You've really given me hope. Pushups are one of my greatest challenges, and I'm reallly focused on building up to at least 25 pushups in a row. As far as resistance training, this time around, I really don't want to focus on weights. If I can do pushups, pull-ups (that's a REAL challenge for me), situps, and lunges with ease, I'll be satisfied. I'm hoping that the portability of these types of exercises will help when when I'm not in a situation where I have access to weights.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies!
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote