General chatter - How does someone register as domestic partners in Calif?

06-12-2007, 07:41 PM
My DD will be getting married in Feb. However, she wants to add him to her insurance right now. She has much better insurance and it would save them several hundred $ per month.

How does she register?

06-12-2007, 07:53 PM
She is not eligible under CA law. Which I personalliy think is a little silly, but there you have it.

06-12-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm from Arkansas and I know next-to-nothing about California law. However, according to the information on the California Secretary of State's website, "persons of opposite sexes may not constitute a domestic partnership unless one or both of the persons are over the age of 62." The domestic partnership status seems to be for those who cannot get married due to laws against same-sex marriages and also for those (of the opposite sex) who would be placed in extreme economic hardship by getting married due to the loss of Social Security/retirement benefits. Here is the website I looked at:

It seems to be like the regulations of most corporations that offer domestic partnership benefits: if you CAN get married, then that is what you have to do. If you CAN'T, then you can register as domestic partners. Hope this helps.

06-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Our company insurance (BC of CA) allows you to add a domestic partner by filling out an "affadavit of domestic partnership." It has to be notarized and they'll add the partner to the insurance (for the additional fee of course). I suggest you have your DD contact her employer and/or insurance directly to see if they will allow this or not.

06-12-2007, 09:59 PM
My sister's friend was in a similar situation (though in a different state). The girl and her fiance were having a big wedding six months down the road, but she changed jobs and lost her insurance. His insurance wouldn't cover her unless they were married, so they married quickly at the courthouse, and still had the church wedding on schedule.

06-13-2007, 02:08 AM
alinnell is right, your DD needs to ask her employer about this. When my SO lost his job, we considered adding him to my insurance as a domestic partner. We could have done this but my company will not cover the cost of his insurance, so it would have been very expensive to add him. The cost of employer-provided health insurance is much higher than the premium you pay; your company covers most if not all of it for you but they are not required to cover this cost for domestic partners. In my case, my company covers my health insurance premiums in full but the actual premiums are around $500 per month--which is what we would have had to pay to add him to my insurance. It was cheaper (by a couple of hundred dollars a month) just to buy insurance for my SO on our own.