South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #1  

Default I'm a new poster....longtime lurker!

I've been following the South Beach Diet for a little over a year now. I've lost a total of 45 pounds using tips and recipes ya'll have posted. I have seemed to hit a wall though and need mostly encouragement.
On January 5th, 2007, I was diagnosed with Uterine Cancer. I had a hysterectomy on Jan 31 and the doctor PROMISED to help me hit my driver's license weight on my birthday two days later. I was just three pounds over that weight and he laughingly told me he did what he could. Everything was fine and dandy and I was not so patiently waiting my 6 week clearance so I could get back to walking my three miles daily. Well.....he found cancer cells in the fluid in my abdomen and I had to start chemo. Don't be alarmed, though....I'm almost done with chemo.....2 more treatments and I have a good prognosis. The problem is that I have not been able to do much walking from nerve pain in my feet from the chemo and things that were my staples on the SBD now make me gag. I can't eat ham....even the thought of it makes me queasy.... and eggs....barfo!.....and artificial sweeteners leave a horrible medicinal taste in my mouth. Through all of this, I've gained back 10-15 pounds that I thought were gone forever. I'm not supposed to try to lose weight while on chemo, but I don't want to pack on the pounds either. Has anyone had the experience of trying to get back on weightloss track after chemo? I'm hoping the cravings for sugar leave once I'm done ......believe it or not that is a side effect. I've never been one to crave chocolate ice cream before.....now it's an everyday thing. I'm also hoping that when I can stop taking steroids the weight disappears, too. I guess all I'm looking for is a little encouragement, that YES I CAN LOSE THE WEIGHT again...It just seems as though all that hard work was for naught.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #2  

Crabby- as much as i would love to give you tips to help you lose weight, I feel its more important for you to focus on getting through chemo before you start trying to lose weight. Through family and friends that have been through chemo, i know that quite a few of them gained weight their first round or two of chemo, and then lost weight with the chemo. Never had to go through it myself, but I have known alot of people who things kinda evened out after chemo was over. Take care of yourself! I'll keep you in my thoughts!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 360/354/250

Height: 5'11

Hi Crabby,

I agree with stardusterika, focus on the Chemo first and once you are all through with that and feeling better then tackle the weight loss issue (heck we'll still be here to help & support you). I've never been through this situation or any like it, so I am sure it's not easy and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Crabby, first of all, for all that you've been through. I agree that right now, getting through your chemo should be your first priority. Just be sure to make all your meals healthy ones with plenty of fruit, vegetables, protein, and whole grains. Once you are finished with your chemotherapy, you should have no trouble at all getting back on track with your weightloss. I'll be keeping you in my prayers, good luck.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

You're in our thoughts and prayers! What an amazingly positive attitude you have through all of this. I can't wait to hear the great news of your remission!

Kara
Old 06-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #6  
Banishing the Belly

S/C/G: 180/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Crabby,

Yes, you CAN lose the weight again. I used to work in an OptiFast clinic and a lady there gained 100 lbs from being on steroids. She lost it all by fasting and pretty much shrunk before my eyes. You keep thinking good thoughts about the chemo and your prognosis,and when you're free and clear you can concentrate on taking off the weight.

We'll be thinking and praying for you!

L
Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #7  
Keeper of the Cheerios

S/C/G: 218/209/170

Height: 5'4

My MIL has been in remission for 21mths now. She had a hard time with things not tasting the same while during chemo but she said that side effect DOES go away. She gained about 60lbs but over the few months after chemo was down under the weight she started out at.

YOU CAN DO IT!! Focus on getting through chemo and keeping yourself well first and then go at it full force with losing the extra weight when you are healthy

Also, she did tell me that she still occassionally has pain and numbness in her hands and feet. She is hoping that goes away but the neurologist said it may be permanent damage. I hope you have better news than she did in that respect.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #8  

Thanks so much for the prayers and good thoughts. I guess I am just not a very patient person. I want this chemo OVER and I want my life back! I'm still trying to eat healthy things mostly because those are what I've become used to eating. I still have my bowl of Fiber One every morning to keep things moving.....although for some reason, all I could keep down the past couple of mornings was a poptart..... I'll get back in the swing of eating well and eating healthy soon...it's just frustrating to have your body rebel at what you know is good for it.... Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers...
Closed Thread