Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #1  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Default how do you deal with stress while dieting

without getting into the woe is me, i have some stress in my life right now that i cannot ignore or just take a deep breath and it all feels better. i used to eat when i was stressed, now that isn't an option. i feel heartburn coming on and all i want to do is sleep it off which is awful because i was doing great with energy.

what do you guys do when you've got stress? i don't want to screw up the good thing i have going with my weight loss, and i know stressing out only increases my cortisol so my big ole tummy isn't going to shrink unless i figure this out!

cat
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #2  
Christi

S/C/G: 187 / ticker / 130

Workout, workout, workout!!! Eachtime I feel myself wanting to go to food (or a glass of wine) to deal with my day, I walk to my mailbox, or around the block or around the mall or hit the gym. When I am at my office and get angry or frustrated, I go refill my waterbottle and take the long way to the kitchen which is on my floor but I walk up the stairs, down the stairs then head to the kitchen or I will step outside. I used to always turn to food or a glass of wine (no wine at work, though!!) and it would work while I was consumed with it but then after I would feel guilty and doubly stressed out for my bad decision. It is definitely a double-edge sword. For me, the positive energy I put into a really good workout or lifting or making a positive choice just cuts my stress to nearly zero and makes me feel amazing!! Once you start finidng satisfaction in other things, you won't even want to turn to the food, or at least you will think about it for a milisecond then think of the better choice and how much better you will feel after that. Hang in there & Congrats on the weightloss so far!!
Clue0983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I just or or the living daylights out of anything in my way. This includes small children, barky dogs and frisbees.

Oh, that felt good to say!

Honestly, I have resorted to a lot of prayer. However, I have to admit that most of that was last month with my mom. I decided to keep that going for myself.

Other things I've done are what Clue said. Except I still want some wine with my dinner, so I have it.

Walking around the block or just out one door and in another helps sometimes.

Good luck with whatever is happening in your life.

Coming here helps tremendously, too.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Coming here, and exercise, exercise, exercise.

I struggled for years with anxiety (extreme stress!) disorders, insomnia, and depressive episodes. Meds were not effective and had horrible side effects. Then I stumbled onto exercise! Now - rare insomnia, very few anxiety issues, and only 1 depressive episode in the time since I started my lifestyle change. Eating clean, whole foods helps a lot too.

You can always tell when I'm having a rough day...I post 3 or 4 times in the "Exercise Accountability" thread...

I think of stress like a big ball of energy. You've got all this energy built up in you from outside sources...and you've got to BURN IT UP. Sometimes, on the elliptical, if I'm really stressed out, I'll visualize the ball of stress energy being used up by my body...it really does help.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #5  
Starting Over

thanks everyone. i think sometimes i feel stuck in the house and since i quit smoking and now i am not eating to fix my stress, i just didn't know where to put it. i answered my own question while showering when i said a quick prayer and immediately felt some peace. i also got a good b**ching session on with my best friend which helped as well.

my husband is set to deploy to iraq for the second time within the next 30 days or so, and as usual the stress level just creeps on up the closer it gets to d-day. so i appreciate everyone's help. i am going to try to take a jog after dinner if he gets home at a decent hour! i need to let it all out somewhere!

Last edited by cakses; 06-12-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #6  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I agree that prayer is the best answer. Exercising is a great stress reliever. I used to turn to food too but now I've noticed that during those stressful times turning to food is no longer an option.
I agree with Clue that you might think of it briefly, but once you realize the progress you've already made you don't want to undo it.

Denise
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

((hugs))... I know how hard that is. Think of how fabulous it will be when he comes home and you can wow him with your progress! It will be so much fun to shop for cute outfits for his homecoming, and he will be so proud of you.

Maybe you can find a local teen to come over a few days a week for an hour or two at night so that you can get out and jog or go to the gym (assuming you have children).
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #8  
Starting Over

yeah i've got two i am new to my area so i am on the lookout for a new babysitter. will definately be paying someone to watch them for me at times during the summer when i have both. i am planning on sending my 3 y.o. to an early preschool program in sept. then both will be in school for a few hours a day and i can run to my heart's content (and shower w/o interruption!)
Old 06-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

A good walk or run with my favorite music helps not only to relieve stress but completely takes my mind off of it. I focus on the music and keeping the pace and have no room for the stressful thoughts. It gives me a much needed break from worries. And the surge of energy I get from doing it continues to help with stress the rest of the day, because I tend to be able to get a lot more done. And sometimes all those little things I've been putting off are just added stress.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 PM   #10  
Starting Over

Hubby got home on time so after dinner I got my Ipod and went out for a run/jog or whatever you would call what I did LOL. Whatever it was, it was good for me and I got away from my lovely kids for a bit and out of the house and just listened to my songs and kept on until my legs were shaking. Now I am off to take a relaxing bath and hope tomorrow isn't as stressful as today! Thanks ladies!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 AM   #11  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Exercise, indeed. It's usually a pretty good reliever. Unless I'm just a violent woman who likes to slam her fists into a punching-ball just for the sake of it.

It's funny, because once at school I mentioned that when stressed out by a complex assignment before getting back to it, I would go for a quick walk or running, and some people said that it was only delaying the unavoidable. Maybe, but eating my way through a jar of cookies while worrying my head over said assignment would be just as counter-productive, and on top of it I wouldn't get that 'peace of mind' that exercising provides. So they can stay with their snacks, I still go to walk when I feel the need to.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #12  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kery View Post
It's funny, because once at school I mentioned that when stressed out by a complex assignment before getting back to it, I would go for a quick walk or running, and some people said that it was only delaying the unavoidable.
Its the old glass half empty scenario. To them, it may be delaying, to you, its "preparing" for the unavoidable.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Great advice ladies!!! I find excersize to be a great stress reliever. I definately don't have time to think about any worries in my life when I am concentrating on the moves in my cardio class. Now if I'm sad, i just have to stay in my room and cry until i can't cry anymore, but stress....excersize is awesome!!

and I love the idea of Wow'ing him when he comes home in all your new cute outfits!! What a great thing to think about as a motivator huh???!!!

Good luck and congrats on a wonderful start to your journey!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:31 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 259/140/140

Height: 5'6"

These are things that work for me.
1-movies with a friend or by myself
2-going to the mall and trying on new clothes, even if I have no money, I don't have to buy them.
3-manicure or pedicure
4-a walk to the beach
5-a long drive by myself with the radio turned up
6-extra time at the gym
7-sometimes just a good cry and a long nap.
8-write yourself a letter about all the positive things in your life
9-post on the forums
10-compare before pictures with new pictures
Terrie
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Terri..those are great ideas. I looooove taking long drives by myself. There is nothing I find more relaxing than driving by myself and listening to some music. I also love to look at before and after pics of myself to see how far i have come.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote