Whole Foods Lifestyle - Need Snack/In between "meals" Ideas

PinkyPie
06-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Hello!

Today I learned something - well, I knew it already, but - I really MUST plan and be more prepared for the mid-afternoon hungries or I either a) become ravenous and get a headache or b) give in to any snack available at that moment.

Yesterday I did really well on my plan, and I didn't need anything around 4pm. Today I was absolutely ravenous, even AFTER having a snack around 2:30 (a large NF cappuccino and a lovely nectarine). I had nothing extra with me. I drank a lot of water but I just was completly empty and it wasn't helping. Then I heard that someone brought cookies up to our floor :o I caved. And not only did I eat a bite of a cookie (they were the honkin' huge kind) I probably ate enough bites to make up one whole big honkin' cookie. :o

My question to you all is:: what are some good snacks/in between's that I can prepare easily at home to bring with me? I normally always have fruit, but sometimes I eat fruit and I am still hungry later. I need something really around 4pm (if I feel that emptiness) because I leave work at earlist 5 and I have a 2 hour commute home (yep, you read that right, 2 hours!)

I am following WW (at least for my daily intake, portion control, points) so it should be something low or no point that would be filling. I live in the Netherlands, so I can't do any pre-packaged goodies from the whole foods store (or any other store in N. America). It really has to be honest-to-goodness whole foods made from scratch.

Am I being too demanding? :lol: Can anyone help me?

TIA!!!

tleef
06-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Here are a few things that may get you through the afternoon munchies:

3 stalks of celery with 2 tsp peanut butter and 1 tsp raisins
1 tbsp plain unsalted almond slivers and 2 tbsp raisins
1 apple with 2 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 banana with 1 tbsp peanut butter
6 Whole wheat crackers and 10 baby carrots

Most of these have protein which should help to control cravings for junk food. I try not to eat too much suger in the afternoon (even if it's naturally occuring sugar like in fruit) as I find that it makes me feel like I'm gonna die if I don't get my dinner right at 5:00 PM. I find if I eat something with a bit of protein and some veggies I do much better fighting off the afternoon munchie monster.

Hope that helps...Tamara

ladyjane
06-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm sitting here with the same problem. I planned ahead, I brought two Kashi granola bars... one for a morning snack and one for an afternoon snack, but I ate my second one with lunch so now it's 3:23pm and I'm drinking so much water I'm going to swim out of here.

PinkyPie
06-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Tamara ~ thanks for the ideas! That's great!
One question - are gold raisins as nutritionally sound as the dark raisins (sorry they must be called something else, I just don't know what!)? I have a bunch of raisins in the cupboard so I'd like to use them :)

Is feta cheese (low-fat) OK? I was thinking of mixing some into some brown rice, with some nuts/seeds and some chickpeas. Just a small portion. Do you think that would help?

LadyJane - sorry you are having the same problem! Some days I'm good with my snacks some days I could eat just about everything I have by lunch! I don't like to have too much stuff with me "just in case" because sometimes I'll eat it anyway, even if I'm not so hungry (I have "bored" eating issues).

edzard
06-12-2007, 06:52 PM
I had that problem last night, sooo hungry and not wanting to eat to keep my calorie count down. I tried coffee, tea, water, some fruit finally I caved and had whole grain bread and peanut butter, that worked!

But mmmm I like that brown rice, feta, nuts and chickpea thing....sounds good and I have never had anything like that, sounds like it could be a good cold salad. Maybe even throw in come raw veggies like celery or something? I may have to try that I LOVE feta.

Good luck and let me know if you come up with some low cal (or points) option that is very filling.

alinnell
06-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Here are some of my die-hard favorites:

6 Triscuits (whole wheat!!) and 1 wedge of Laughing Cow Light cheese
1 frozen banana (sliced and frozen in a tupperware), thawed slightly, mashed and added to a 1 c tub of 0% Fage Greek plain yogurt
Fiber One bar (for the sake of convenience)
1/4 c nuts
apple or other fruit
carrots and celery

I find it easy to keep the snack sized baggies of nuts on hand (1-2 baggies so I don't overindulge!). I keep them in my desk drawer. I also have a Fiber One bar on hand. The other things you kind of have to plan ahead for unless you have a fridge at work (and you don't have to worry about people stealing your treats!).

BlueToBlue
06-13-2007, 01:45 AM
1/2 cup plain, NF yogurt is very low on points and I find it to be very filling. I've read that there's something about yogurt that supresses your appetite. You could add a little fruit to make it more palatable. I esp. like Greek yogurt. You can make Greek yogurt yourself if you can't find it in the store--just drain regular non-fat yogurt through muslim for several to overnight.

I also like a spinach salad with cucumbers, strawberries or raspberries, sea salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. I think you could eat a pretty big salad for not a lot of points. My typical salad is 2 oz spinach, 3 oz cucumbers, 2 oz raspberries, and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar and comes out at around 60 calories. That's a BIG salad for 60 calories. Just don't put the vinegar on it until you are ready to eat it.

How about popcorn--either microwaved at work or pre-popped at home and brought with you?

I also really like the Fiber One Muffins (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107025&highlight=%22fiber+muffins%22), if you can get all the ingredients. I sub baking powder for the baking soda and use regular non-fat milk (instead of the buttermilk--note that if you use baking soda, you have to use buttermilk), sub splenda for the sugar, sub canned pumpkin for the applesauce, and add 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or you could do a combo of cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground cloves). I also leave out the raisins but sometimes I add fresh cherries or blueberries. I make ten muffins per batch and the calories come out to around 70-80 per muffin. I eat them with a tbsp of cream cheese.

A hard-boiled egg.

Veggies with hummus or salsa.

Fruit with NF cream cheese sweetened with artificial sweetener and cinnamon.

2 oz fruit (berries, mango, or stone fruit) mixed with 1/2 can tuna or salmon in water (drained), 1-2 tsp dijon mustard, 1 tbsp non-fat yogurt, and sliced green onions.

1/2 cup of high fiber cereal. Fiber One is only 60 calories if you can get that or something similar.

I also get really hungry around 4 or 5 pm and don't eat dinner until late. I will eat a smaller dinner so that I can have a bigger snack in the afternoon. You might want to give this a try. You'd have more snack alternatives if you could eat something with more points.

PinkyPie
06-13-2007, 07:34 AM
I had that problem last night, sooo hungry and not wanting to eat to keep my calorie count down. I tried coffee, tea, water, some fruit finally I caved and had whole grain bread and peanut butter, that worked!

But mmmm I like that brown rice, feta, nuts and chickpea thing....sounds good and I have never had anything like that, sounds like it could be a good cold salad. Maybe even throw in come raw veggies like celery or something? I may have to try that I LOVE feta.

Good luck and let me know if you come up with some low cal (or points) option that is very filling.

Thanks for your response :) I actually left the nuts out and added some spinach instead. I'll let you know if it's tasty or not, but I'm thinking it is!!

I need to get to the store to get more crunchy veggies like celery :)

Here are some of my die-hard favorites:

6 Triscuits (whole wheat!!) and 1 wedge of Laughing Cow Light cheese
1 frozen banana (sliced and frozen in a tupperware), thawed slightly, mashed and added to a 1 c tub of 0% Fage Greek plain yogurt
Fiber One bar (for the sake of convenience)
1/4 c nuts
apple or other fruit
carrots and celery

I find it easy to keep the snack sized baggies of nuts on hand (1-2 baggies so I don't overindulge!). I keep them in my desk drawer. I also have a Fiber One bar on hand. The other things you kind of have to plan ahead for unless you have a fridge at work (and you don't have to worry about people stealing your treats!).

We have a fridge here at work, which is great :) We don't have Triscuits, but I'll check into what sort of crackers we do have available. We also don't have anything "Fiber One" so that's completely out. I did have a granola bar here from work today and have to check the points value on it, but I believe it's pretty low. Maybe I could even get some bars from the store - thing with these though... I just don't know that I can "trust" these things to be nutritionally sound, but I just need to check.

1/2 cup plain, NF yogurt is very low on points and I find it to be very filling. I've read that there's something about yogurt that supresses your appetite. You could add a little fruit to make it more palatable. I esp. like Greek yogurt. You can make Greek yogurt yourself if you can't find it in the store--just drain regular non-fat yogurt through muslim for several to overnight.

I also like a spinach salad with cucumbers, strawberries or raspberries, sea salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. I think you could eat a pretty big salad for not a lot of points. My typical salad is 2 oz spinach, 3 oz cucumbers, 2 oz raspberries, and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar and comes out at around 60 calories. That's a BIG salad for 60 calories. Just don't put the vinegar on it until you are ready to eat it.

How about popcorn--either microwaved at work or pre-popped at home and brought with you?

I also really like the Fiber One Muffins (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107025&highlight=%22fiber+muffins%22), if you can get all the ingredients. I sub baking powder for the baking soda and use regular non-fat milk (instead of the buttermilk--note that if you use baking soda, you have to use buttermilk), sub splenda for the sugar, sub canned pumpkin for the applesauce, and add 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or you could do a combo of cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground cloves). I also leave out the raisins but sometimes I add fresh cherries or blueberries. I make ten muffins per batch and the calories come out to around 70-80 per muffin. I eat them with a tbsp of cream cheese.

A hard-boiled egg.

Veggies with hummus or salsa.

Fruit with NF cream cheese sweetened with artificial sweetener and cinnamon.

2 oz fruit (berries, mango, or stone fruit) mixed with 1/2 can tuna or salmon in water (drained), 1-2 tsp dijon mustard, 1 tbsp non-fat yogurt, and sliced green onions.

1/2 cup of high fiber cereal. Fiber One is only 60 calories if you can get that or something similar.

I also get really hungry around 4 or 5 pm and don't eat dinner until late. I will eat a smaller dinner so that I can have a bigger snack in the afternoon. You might want to give this a try. You'd have more snack alternatives if you could eat something with more points.

I LOVE Fage NF Greek Yoghurt and eat that pretty regularly :)

I also eat a spinach salad at least 3x a week just for lunch.

Popcorn I will look into - but is that really fitting into the "whole-foods" category? I'm not a huge fan of anything microwaveable. I do appreciate the suggestion though :)

Anything with fibre-one is out, but I can look into an alternative here in the Netherlands.

I'll put hummous and salsa on my list for shopping :)

We usually eat late because I get home late so, in generally already eat a smaller dinner. Having a larger snack is definitely what I'm aiming for in the afternoon, plus on the train home I usually eat 1 or 2 apples or some other fruit.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!!

Misti in Seattle
06-16-2007, 01:21 AM
Hey there, Edzard! "Welcome to the forum... for a day or a lifetime!" :) Couldn't resist! For the rest of you who won't know this... that is the welcome slogan for Bothell! :) How exciting to find another Bothell person here in 3FC!! Thanks for letting me know!!

I try to go the whole foods lifestyle too in that I try to eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, etc., and stay away from processed foods. Though not as strict as some in that I do eat popcorn and some frozen veggies, etc.

I look forward to getting to know you.

:rain: in Seattle (aka Sue)

onthetee
06-17-2007, 06:25 PM
I have to second the hummus with veggies idea. The veggies add enough fiber to get you through the afternoons.

Can you pop your corn at home a bring it? That way you can add yummy seasonings to it if you want to.

mals1
06-17-2007, 06:39 PM
ARe some fruits better than others to snack on? Like figs? I was reading WW mag last night and had the suggestion on Core for two figs and goat cheese (I think it was goat cheese) as a snack.

SuburbanWarrior
06-17-2007, 07:06 PM
whenever I am hungry, I drink something calorie free first, to see if that works. I keep celery and salsa handy, for munchies problems, I know when I am really really hungry ( & tired) like that that that ( these three thats are not a typo, but must be a first for me. I didnt even know you could create a real sentence with three thats in a row, lol) is when I am going to drop weight, so I try to hang in there, its a threashold. make a big bowl of canned green beans, salted, no butter, or a bowl of some very low cal veggie that is your favorite. and keep busy. it will pass. ........

Elanajel
06-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Like many others here, I do these:
sliced apple and pb
sliced peaches (or grapes) with ff cottage cheese or ff plain yogurt
Shredded Wheat and some plain soymilk
a hb egg
black bean soup w/some cooked brown rice mixed in

I always have to plan ahead and usually take a lf cheese stick or granola bar w/me every time I leave the house. Plus I keep bars in my gym bag and glove compartment.