40-Somethings - What was your breaking point?

View Full Version : What was your breaking point?

little pony
06-10-2007, 07:14 PM
I was wondering what everyone's breaking point or motivation was to lose the weight and start exercising?

I am 45, 130 lbs over weight, no kids and single. I have been over weight my entire life. Oh I have lost the weight, the most 50 lbs but then something major happens in my life and I go back to my destructive ways. I know I should lose it. I know how to lose it. I keep buying weight loss books, and exercise tapes knowing I need to use them, but can't seem to get my brain and body on the same page. Even snide remarks from my family isn't enough to get me going.

Anyone willing to come and give me a swift kick in my spongey behind to get me going?

musictchr
06-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Hi little - You hit a nerve with me with your question, so I'm going to ramble a bit :rolleyes: . Feel freee to fast forward at any time!

I'm actually a little like you, although more overweight, mid 40's and single. Almost my whole family is heavy, so the support isn't always the greatest either. This is what led up to my resolve this time:

1. My dad died about a year and a half ago after living with cancer. It took up to 4 people to move him toward the end because he was so heavy.

2. My mom is now extremely dependent on other people due to her weight and weight related health issues.

After seeing these two things get worse and worse, I've decided that I will not depend on other people in my old age as they had to. My dad's couldn't be helped, but it could have been a little easier physically for the rest of us had he weighed less.

And besides, wouldn't it be fantastic to have a great guy look at me on the street, and not because he can't believe how big I am?! :drool:

Good luck with your quest. I'll kick your butt any time!! :kickbutt:

Shirley

Janny O
06-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi Little-
I'm 46 and when I started this journey, I was the exact same weight as you are now. It took getting pissed off at my self!! I couldn't stand seeing the reflection in windows and in mirrors!! You will be soooooo amazed at what you can do once you hit your goals. Take it day by day and don't look at the big picture-it's too overwhelming.
I'm married, no kids, but guys are coming up to me and talking to me-people that wouldn't take the time to do otherwise. This floors me. SO-that in itself can be a great motivator.
Good luck and we are all here for you!!
Jan

Slashnl
06-11-2007, 10:44 AM
For me, it was the noticeable aches and pains that were coming on fast. My knees would hurt going up stairs. I'm 43 and I just couldn't see that getting worse. I just wanted to feel better and have more energy. I got tired of pantyhose and underwear rolling down because of how big my stomach was/is.

I am married with 2 kids, 13 and 11 yrs. I want to be able to be around for a long time to share in their lives.

ShyCammie
06-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Little Pony (Sound's like a Native American name:) ),
I grew up slender and healthy...even somewhat athletic. But between 28 and 32, PCOS kicked into high gear and sent me a weight gain curve ball.
In college I could eat an order of fries, an order of onion rings and drink a chocolate shake for lunch and not gain weight. As the weight crept on, I tried one thing after another...eventually (like at 212lbs), I started to panic.
Finally at 231 lbs, I found a TCM doctor who helped me with my PCOS and got me started losing weight. I got to 205-207...then got pregnant (THAT was a huge surprise!).
My post pregnancy weight was 245, I got down to 213-215 then had knee surgery. I was recently back up to 239.
So what was that one thing?
It wasn't one thing for me.
It was a number of things. #1 Looking in a full lenghth mirror and truly seeing me the way I am now (instead of the way I see myself in my head, with skinny knees and a waist).
#2 Realizing that I'm worth it. I'm worthy of being healthy, being able to look in the mirror and like what I see. But moment to moment, I'm worth putting healthy portions of healthy food into my mouth. I'm worth more than a half a gallon of ice cream shoveled in with my eyes glued to the TV. That's not respectful of the gift I've been given - my body, my soul, my health.
#3 The support here. There are ladies here who help me change all of those "unworthy" negative thoughts and feelings to positive ones. Knowing that today I'd have to report how my weekend went, how my workout's gone today, etc...that motivates me. I don't feel like I'm "reporting" to some skinny person. I'm volunteering to be accountible to people who've been there and are just waiting to cheer for me. If there's nothing to cheer about...they have gently steered me back to postive thought.
I really would have rather taken a nap at lunch today. I would have liked more than 3/4ths of a bowl of soup for lunch after my workout. I'm peeing like a racehorse because of all the water I'm drinking, but I'm actually proud that I've had half a gallon of water already today...besides, the extra walks to the ladies room are "free exercise." :D
Honey, you let me stop in IL on my way to vacation in Wisconsin and I'll...NOT kick you in the butt, I'll give you the biggest hug you've ever had and laugh and cry with you. Look in the mirror. See that wonderful woman? You are a princess.
Don't EVER forget that. YOU are a PRINCESS. Why aren't you treating yourself gently, like royalty? Treat yourself the way you'd treat a friend who's trying to lose weight...with kindness and respect, with love and support.
(With the help of the ladies here, that's what I'm doing...not trying, doing.)
Cammie

little pony
06-12-2007, 06:12 AM
Thank you Ladies for all your input and support. I felt all the kicks you were giving. Why is getting started to hard?

ShyCammie
06-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Little Pony,
Not to be glib but, "Anything worth having is worth working for..."
"The harder you work for it the more you will appreciate it..."
You know the sayings.
But it's true. You will SO appreciate the sense of feeling healthy once you start to reach a weight that you're more comfortable with. (In fact I secretly believe that I "get comfortable" when I lose a certain amount of weight and that's why I plateau. Just a suspicion.)
So, really...realize that you're worth the work :hug: and join us on 47 and no idea.
Smile sweetie...you have people cheering for you to get moving and treat yourself well when you eat.
Cammie

ladybugnessa
06-12-2007, 09:55 AM
for me it was many things

1. my husband's cousin died of weight related Complications (the 750 pound man on the TLC show)... and my husband was about 50 pounds from bedridden his eyes were being swallowed up by his fat...

2. we did NOTHING we sat around the house and did NOTHING

3. I could not turn over in bed without getting breathless.

4. EVERYTHING HURT ALL THE TIME

5. it was (TMI HERE) becoming impossible to keep myself clean in certain areas. i had YEAST in all my creases... YEAST smells bad..... it burns it itches and i was MISERABLE

6. VERY TMI HERE..... we had lost our sex life... as newlyweds this was not acceptable to me...... it was not out of lack of love but more that we just did not have the energy or the ability to move in a manner necessary for everything to work properly.

7. my 72 year old father was in better shape than I was.

so we started. and we did great... now nearly 14 months later... the loss is not spectacular and my DH being down from over 400 to about 360 is taking a bit of a break (maintaining but not losing) and i'm losing slowly.... but we've totally revamped our lives and how we eat on a daily basis and the rest will come off. I've lost 50 i have 60 to go!

Transforming
06-15-2007, 02:04 PM
I walked by a plate glass window and caught sight of my reflection. I didn't recognize myself at first. Who is that woman? She looks not only out of shape, but sad. I didn't think I was sad, but I certainly look it. If this is the image I've been projecting to the world, it certainly doesn't match the way I think about myself. Or does it.......?

So I've been changing myself from the inside out. The last step is to get the outside to match all the wonderful things I've been doing inside.

mikandmari
06-19-2007, 11:16 PM
I've just returned to this forum after 3 years. These stories were all very inspiring! Thanks! :hug:

bethmart
06-19-2007, 11:44 PM
And besides, wouldn't it be fantastic to have a great guy look at me on the street, and not because he can't believe how big I am?! :drool:

And he I always thought is was because they liked my big bootie :D

Sadly my motivation has always been men. Yup Thats it.

bodhisattva
06-21-2007, 08:19 AM
There have been a few things....

Like many women, I have a range of sizes in my closet....from 6-14. I always swore I would never buy anything bigger....but then I outgrew my 14s. I now pretty much live in loose yoga pants, lol.

I got on the scale one morning and discovered that I weighed as much as my husband. He is a 6'2" big-boned guy...and although I am 5'10", I was apalled!!

I'm tired of not being able to move properly. I have a moderate herniated disc in my back and a bad knee from a torn ACL years ago, and my added weight really exacerbates these. And just everyday bending, twisting, etc. is much harder. When I carry a 50 lb. bag of pig feed to our barn, I think about the fact that I am also carrying that much extra weight on my body.....it's no wonder I don't feel good!

And finally, the SHALLOW reason, lol: I used to be hot. I used to be able to walk into a room with unbelievable confidence. I got whistled at...stared at...could get any guy I wanted. Obviously, since I am married I am not looking for any guy I want....and I'm mature enough that I find catcalls and whistles kind of annoying. But I still want those options!!! LOL!! I just want to feel good about myself again....I miss feeling like I am hot!!

hopingtobehopeful
06-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Oh yeah. Feeling sexy and confident. Hard for me to do that when I am constantly trying to hold my body so no article of clothing touches the rolls on my back LOL!

My moment was putting on my "fat" jeans and finding out that I couldn't button them comfortably. So, driving to the mall, buying the next size up AGAIN! and wearing them out of the store :o

Plate glass windows are always discomforting too. Walking the the door of the drugstore and hoping that it auto-opens before I catch a glimpse of what's really going on with my body.

One of my mini-goals is getting back into my "fat" jeans that are rolled up in a ball in the trunk of my car! ;)

There is hope for us all!

RousseRonde
06-22-2007, 04:30 PM
For me, it was having to have my wedding ring cut off my finger by a jeweler because my fingers were SOOOO fat and swollen! My mum died in Feb this year and I hit the comfort eating big time, thinking I *deserved* all those cookies and chocolate because I was sad. But as a PP said, I'm worth more than all those empty calories shovelled in without even thinking about it.

My mum spent the last 15 yrs of her life confined to a chair because her knees were too weak to support her weight, I want to sort my weight out before that happens to me...

My mum had me when she was 43 and I never remember her running around with me or playing, she was just sitting on a bench or in a deck chair watching... I was 36 and 42 respectively when I had my 2 boys, and I want them to have memories of me as a "fun" person who was willing to run round with them!
RR

balloonlady
06-27-2007, 01:14 PM
For me the motivation came from a simple hair cut. I cut 8 inches off of my hair and nobody noticed. It was a drastic change but because I'm fat (150lbs to lose) people don't look directly at me. I saw the same group of women 2 hours before I cut my hair and about 4 hours afterwards. They didn't notice at all, driving home something I have noticed for awhile. The fatter you get the less people notice your existence.

The haircut (which looks great by the way) wasn't a huge thing, but it was the final straw. I'm tired of changing my life to compensate for my weight. No more judging if I can fit between cars or in chairs. I decided to change my weight to compensate for my life.

That was a week ago yesterday. Today is my first weigh in since I started. No matter what the results, I do feel good, so something must have changed.

Slashnl
06-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Welcome Balloonlady! I agree with you that you aren't acknowledged for anything but weight when you're fat. You could have a change in makeup, hair, clothes, and not much is said. However, much is said if you lose some weight, so that's a plus!

Glad you feel good and I'm looking forward to getting to know you better!

hopingtobehopeful
06-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Hi Ballonlady! How true - the bigger we get, the more invisible we are - how odd. I was at a function a month ago and standing next to this wisp of a thing. She was stunning but the men standing behind us never saw her face. But I want you to know they never looked at my butt that night. And it's 3x the size LOL!

Welcome!

Robin41
06-28-2007, 02:34 PM
For me it was saying something nasty to my husband and then realizing that he hadn't done anything at all to deserve my comment. I was just unhappy with myself and lashed out at the only person in the world who loves me no matter what. It was a real wake-up call. I started taking a clearer look at myself in a lot of ways and things are going to be different.

iminhere
06-28-2007, 02:54 PM
For me the motivation came from a simple hair cut. I cut 8 inches off of my hair and nobody noticed. It was a drastic change but because I'm fat (150lbs to lose) people don't look directly at me. I saw the same group of women 2 hours before I cut my hair and about 4 hours afterwards. They didn't notice at all, driving home something I have noticed for awhile. The fatter you get the less people notice your existence.

The haircut (which looks great by the way) wasn't a huge thing, but it was the final straw. I'm tired of changing my life to compensate for my weight. No more judging if I can fit between cars or in chairs. I decided to change my weight to compensate for my life.

That was a week ago yesterday. Today is my first weigh in since I started. No matter what the results, I do feel good, so something must have changed.

yes...yes...I understand everything you said...absolutely....

jewell0607
06-29-2007, 12:08 PM
for me it was many things

5. it was (TMI HERE) becoming impossible to keep myself clean in certain areas. i had YEAST in all my creases... YEAST smells bad..... it burns it itches and i was MISERABLE

6. VERY TMI HERE..... we had lost our sex life... as newlyweds this was not acceptable to me...... it was not out of lack of love but more that we just did not have the energy or the ability to move in a manner necessary for everything to work properly.

Ladybug, thank you for sharing these reasons. I imagine it was hard to do but I appreciate your candor because I can totally relate. In fact, they are also two of my reasons, especially the yeast in creases. I don't want to be a fat person who smells.

My third reason is the utter discomfort I now experience eating in restaurants. Sitting in a booth is almost painful at times and I imagine how hilarious I must look getting in and out of some of them. The last time I said to myself, "Okay, stop it already. You need to change your life before you don't have one left." I'm now at the start of my journey. I'll get there.

<sigh>
Onward.
Robyn

Wiffle
06-30-2007, 01:05 AM
Hi, what a good question!

I am new to this part of the forum and should (and will!) post an intro somewhere, but for now I will just answer the question at hand.

I can't say there was one specific breaking point, but I realize that I am sitting out my life waiting to become acceptable to society. As in, life will begin when I am thin or just normal. Well, I have a wonderful, accepting husband, and he is sitting on the sidelines with me, waiting for when I can have a social life again. He needs better. He wants friends.

I tried some alternative approaches to my binge eating, but those required acceptance of my size, and I just cannot accept this size. I have tried for two years to embrace myself as I am, but I cannot, even if my husband can. I wouldn't call the two years a waste of time, but I can't keep doing this. I need to get smaller.

My first thought every morning is either about how fat I am or how bad I look, or worrying about eating.

I need to stop this. I am miserable and I owe it to me and my husband and my stepdaughter to be a happy and healthy person, not some miserable recluse hiding behind internet message boards (my main source of social interaction).

ArrowGirl
07-04-2007, 12:13 AM
I think today I realized I may have reached my breaking point. I can't stop thinking about Saturday, when I was turned away from the carnival ride because I was over 200lbs. As I watched my husband and 2 boys enjoy the ride, I thought "This is one of those life changing events, like Oprah talks about". But then dismissed it. Or so I thought. It really has been haunting me. Something that begs to be acknowledged.
And the other indicator that I have become re-motivated is that I am logged on here for the first time in months (unfortunately, after an almost 10lb weight gain - undoing all of my efforts from last year's diet).
But finding stories and experiences that I can relate to is invaluable.

iminhere
07-04-2007, 12:40 AM
I will try to make this a short story.....;)

my mom was in an accident and hurt her ankle(she was driving while intoxicated)...then spent the next few years getting fat and fatter....she never would exercise...even b4 the accident ... she would rather drive 4 blocks to the 7-11 and it was only a block away if you walked through the alley....

she was a miserable and lonely person who could never let anyone close....

she died about a year after marrying someone who mostly wanted a cook and housekeeper .....she died of cancer...alone (still with him) on the brink of divorce and still miserable....

and lately I have felt that my life has been on hold since my weight gain....and I feel the time slipping away...and I am so afraid of ending up like her....alone and miserable...and the more time that passes the more edgy and anxious I become...

there was no ONE breaking point...to coin a couple of Paul Simon phrases....I have been "slip sliding away" ...I needed someone to tell me that my "life was on fire...it was all over the evening news...all about the fire in my life on the evening news"

and each night sleep came harder and harder....I need to watch tv to fall asleep...then I wake up EVERY HOUR in a panic about something...about myself, my future etc...and I wake up in the morning EXHAUSTED...

I needed..NEED to take control...since I have been gaining more control over my eating I am sleeping longer...having dreams...still not great...but better....

so I am taking my life back...not all at once...but a little every day....

and that's my short story....:p

BoopRN
07-04-2007, 11:51 AM
I too have struggled with weight all my life. I have been up and down on my weight.my lowest has been 130 which is my goal again to get back at that. I think my breaking point was the fact that I couldn't get back into my clothes and found myself buying new clothes that fit. I kept telling my self I needed to get back on a diet but kept putting it back and making excuses for myself. After seeing pictures of myself I definitely found myself in denial of what I thought I looked like.

What motivated me to get back in shape was the fact that my live-in boyfriend also decided to join me on a diet. Its so much better to have someone you live with not eating the junk that you used to eat. We now have pretty much all healthy stuff at our house. We work out together and we're basically doing this as a couple. It keeps up the motivation level

Wiffle
07-04-2007, 04:33 PM
All of these stories are interesting and so familiar.

Arrowgirl, I worry all the time that something like that carnival ride situation is going to happen to me. I am so afraid that we are going to be at the airport one time and the airline is going to make me buy another ticket because of my size. It hasn't happened but I suppose it could.

I saw an episode of "Airline" once where an overweight woman was returning home and on the return trip they decided she had to buy an extra ticket. Now why was she small enough on the way out but not the way back? It was just a subjective judgement on the employee's part. I will not fly Southwest Airlines after seeing that.

I called a riding stable about trailrides for my stepdaughter and their prerecorded information said that people over 225 pounds (or so) pay an extra $20 per hour. While I am not there now, I have been in the past, and it is a scary thought to be of the size that things cost extra. And, I don't know what the extra charge is based upon. Is a special horse brought out from the back for the larger people, one that would normally not be used? Or does the horse need a break after a larger rider? Or is it a charge merely "because they can"? I don't know the answer.

Iminhere, it sounds like your mother had many demons. I'm so sorry that she went through that, causing you to go through that with her, but I am so glad you are able to see the problems and do something different. I have read that many emotional eaters who have gastric procedures done transfer their eating behavior to other compulsions, such as drugs, alcohol, gambling and spending. I really don't think there is a great difference between the poisons we pick. :(

getting_smaller
07-05-2007, 03:09 AM
My life changing moment came when I was watching a story about the guy who carries his son with CP in triathelons. One of the guys on the show said that he was an inspiration...he had been feeling sorry for himself and his son and here was this guy who literally carries his son in triathelons. His comment was,"I want my son to know that I will do everything that I possibly can for him." That really hit home to me. My 10 year old is developmentally delayed and has lupus with kidney disease. My son is 4 years old. My biggest fear since having children is dying...who will take care of them. It dawned on me FINALLY how selfish I have been. I keep eating horrible unhealthy foods (and lots of them) because they taste good and it makes me feel good. All of these years I couldn't give up all of the sweets to make sure that my children have a Mommy because they taste good? It's crazy. I would do anything for my kids....now I am giving them my all. I have to be here for them. Sorry, didn't mean to ramble, I'm just a little bit passionate about it

dizzydolly
07-05-2007, 11:48 PM
my weights been up and down for most of my adult life ,last year I lost 49lbs but after a holiday ,christmas , and a distressing housemove ,Ive put it all back on ,so as you can imagine Im really fed-up.
Ive got to get back on track again though as its my health thats suffering again ,my hips hurt when I walk ,not to mention the puffing and panting.
Ive got to the stage now where I dont want to go out and socialize ,so my hubby and kids are missing out and then the final straw came today when I glanced at a shop window and saw a reflection of a fat old bag and it was me.

leaving the negativity behind its time for a fresh start ,whatever else I am ,no one can say Im a quitter.

jimaterry
07-10-2007, 01:11 AM
What made me decide to change my life and lose some weight was: a few months ago i developed a swollen place on my leg.. just under the knee and to the side a bit. i went to the doctor and he ran all kinds of tests, from blood clot, diabetes, liver panels, heart function, etc.. said he didnt think it was any of them, but that because of my weight it was a possibility.. it was the longest couple hours waiting for the results to the tests.. thank god they were all negative.. i guess its some kind of fatty tumor that can develope when you are obese.. that did it for me.. sitting scared waiting for tests cause im fat.. sheesh.. thank god i havnt developed health probs related to obesity yet( im over 100 pounds overweight), but i want to do something about it while im still healhy...
also, i am 42 and married to a gorgeous 32 year old.. he loves me for who i am and is very supportive of me and whatever i want to do..but i think to myself.. i get to lay next to a sexy vibrant man each night.. and he gets to lay next to This.... i want to lose the weight for myself first.. but a very close second is for my husband.

balloonlady
07-10-2007, 01:52 AM
All of these stories are interesting and so familiar.

Arrowgirl, I worry all the time that something like that carnival ride situation is going to happen to me. I am so afraid that we are going to be at the airport one time and the airline is going to make me buy another ticket because of my size. It hasn't happened but I suppose it could.

I saw an episode of "Airline" once where an overweight woman was returning home and on the return trip they decided she had to buy an extra ticket. Now why was she small enough on the way out but not the way back? It was just a subjective judgement on the employee's part. I will not fly Southwest Airlines after seeing that.(

I've had that fear, and I won't fly southwest for the same reason. It's humiliating enough to wedge myself into the seat and ask for a seat belt extension. I live in terror of being told "you need to pony up the cash for a second ticket."

KayLINY
07-17-2007, 08:41 AM
I have struggled my entire life with my weight. I have lost and regained a good 1000 lbs!!!!!:(

This last & final time.......it finally knocked me on my butt. My health was in jeopordy--and I was inching towards 300 lbs---something I never ever did before.

I have lost 59.2 lbs in the past year. It's been a long hard struggle......but I am changing my habits this time. Something I never did in the past. I am learning to love myself--allow myself to be human.

My health has gotten much better---my cholesterol was 123 or 126 at last check. From over 200. I hope to cut my medications in half by the time I lose the rest of my weight.

I am taking care of my mother 24/7 who was just diagnosed with Alzheimers. She is on medication & is fine for now. But I know the day will come when that is no longer the case. I need to take care of me NOW---so I can take care of mom 110% later.

I'm 42, married, no kids. Never wanted them till it was too late.....and then it just never happened. I have accepted it and moved on. Fur babies will have to do for us!!!;)

kpe
07-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Like most of you my moment came from a variety of things... It all started a few years ago right before I turned forty. I was really surprised how hard I took turning 40!! Birthdays never bothered me before... but this one... OUCH! I refused to be fat and forty!!! So I joined WW and started an at work group. I lost 50lbs but then quickly gained it all back after I had some surgery that limited my ability to exercise for a while.... I could just never get back on track! However, now my kids 6 and 8 are old enough to realize that some people are skinny and some fat.... they know I'm fat!!! My husband and I started Jenny Craig a few months ago and have been pretty successful with it. We have each lost almost 40lbs but have decided we are just spending too much money on the program so we are switching today to WW. It has really helped having us do it together!!! He has even started to train for his first marathon!!! I am really hoping that it all sticks this time!!!!

stephsjourney
07-21-2007, 09:38 PM
My breaking point was putting on my swimsuit so I could take my 6 year old to the pool. I was so frustrated! I have been on many diets and the only 2 times I lost a considerable amount of weight was right after my 2nd child, when I went on phen-fen, and then after my 3rd one with weight watchers. Since then I gained it all back + some and have stayed at this weight for several years, yo-yoing the same 5 lbs. I told my husband I had to do something drastic and I started researching diets online. I chose LaWL because of the accountability. It has really made me think about my food choices.... It is limited, but that is what I need right now to keep me on track. I wish everyone the best of luck and let's keep supporting each other!

Hermit Girl
07-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Without reading any of the replies to this post, my first gut response is to ask you to get rid of the books/tapes about weight loss, and begin to trust your SELF. You know what to do to lose the weight, that's the simple part. You need not give your power of choice >to the books > but take it back for yourself. Learning to love yourself, through trust and respect are your primary lessons. PErhaps books on that subject would be more beneficial? ~Jen

Hermit Girl
07-25-2007, 10:03 AM
So, my personal breaking point (and the starting point on my tracker) was June 2 of '06, when at my local grocery store, the cheese purveyer guy (now I call him 'cheesehead' ) >> who I thought was being friendly with me previously <<< suddenly ditched his cheese barn when I came into the store. I was astonished that this happened twice, and so it became very obvious he was avoiding me. He had been so sweet before, but I think I must have said something to give him the idea that I was flirting maybe? C'mon!!! What's so wrong even if he had that misunderstanding, am I suddenly a monster?

That was so insulting, I vowed to not go back until I was back to my slender self, and he wouldn't recognise me, and if he did, he would surely show a different side. Beginning the next day, June 3, I lost 23 pounds, and well, after getting sick on new years day, hitting a false low (due to throwing up for 24 hrs) , I kind of lost my footing, from getting too comfy with my intermediate weight. I'm steadilly gaining back, not half as determined to lose this time around, but I really am getting impatient with myself, although I'm still over 10 pounds in the right direction .

LoriPiper
08-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I was fine with my weight for 10 years. I weighed ~225, my size 22s all fit, I was active, healthy and had a metabolism that allowed me to eat somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500-3000 calories without gaining. I was in hog heaven, literally.

Then, two things happened. I turned 40, and I changed to a less active job. BOOM. I gained 12 pounds in 8 months. None of my clothes fit, I was out of breath all the time, and 250 was looming large.

So, I decided to stop the insanity. :) I'm only 10 days in, have lost 5.5 pounds, and feel motivated.

I think I want to get to 150, but I may adjust that goal en route. For right now, I am just looking for a number that starts with a '1'. :)

vealcalf2000
08-11-2007, 09:28 PM
I used to wear a sz 14 pant and felt I looked great (on 5'10" frame it was plenty skinny enough for me) well the 2 pairs of jeans I had wore out so I had to buy new and discovered I had to buy an 18. I wasn't too upset and vowed to only get one pair so I could lose some pounds and get back into 14's again. Well after squeezing into those jeans for a year the button flew off! So one of my friends was kind enough to give me her hand me down jeans and Oh Dread they were elastic waist pants ranging from 2x-3x! I reasoned elastic waist pants can fit a wide range of sizes so I reluctantly wore them. They looked AWFUL but felt so good around my waist I didn't even care. Next thing I knew these pants were JUST fitting me! How the h*** did I let this happen???!!!:?:

What was worse is everyday my son would say "Mommy come play with me" and I could barely get off the couch and many times told him mommy was tired and couldn't play today-maybe tomorrow. What kind of mother is that?!

I was so ashamed of the person I was becoming that I had to change.

I'm losing slow and steady but looking forward to each day rather than sleeping through them.

I'm proud to say I've lost 14 #s so far:goodscale, have gone done at least one full pant size. My shirts are slowly getting loose on me and I manage to get in 60-70 min of exercise a day :running:.

I'm also proud of the fact that just today I passed up on free Pizza :jeno: at work (didn't have not one bite) and my DH wanted Dairy Queen :mcd: and I didn't even crave a bite! In the past I would have eaten all of this without a care.

Taking control of my life is great!!!!!!

Kimbe2
08-13-2007, 11:21 AM
I've had several 'ah-ha' moments over the years, the one in 2003 got me to WW's and I lost about 40 pounds. Then since last year I've gained back about half of that.

What got me back on track again were two things really. One, my reflection in the mirror and wondering who is that fat person.

But the biggie was my MIL. She's 82, diabetic, about 100 pounds overweight, not mobile, ulcers on her feet, legs the size of my waist, and an extremely unhappy, bitter, person. For years I've said that she had the means to be a happier, healthier, person, but she chose to eat whatever she wanted and continue to be unhealthy. Her demenor is partly a result of her lack of ability, and partly a fact that she is just not a very nice person.

Not long ago it dawned on me that my thought process about her lack of taking care of herself really applied to me as well. Who am I to talk about someone not trying to be healthy when I am almost 50 pounds overweight?

I decided it was way beyond time to do something about it. So here I am again, at 46, going down this road for, hopefully, the last time in my life.

Ottoette
08-28-2007, 05:37 PM
I love this thread! I can relate to so many of you.
I started getting serious about my health when I got married at 39 and started trying to have a baby. It took a while just to quit smoking. When I did that almost 20 months ago, I started on the weight and fitness. It didn't go so well, I actually went up after a few miscarriages.
Anyway, I start going to a nutritionist last year and dropped 10 lbs the first month and found out I was pregnant. I stuck to a very healthy (for me) eating plan and my daughter arrived in June (at 44). The last month of the pregnancy was rough, I was so sick with respiratory stuff, I would start to fall asleep then jerk upright gasping for air, couldn't walk, couldn't move freely and I kept thinking, this is what I'm going to feel like in 10 years if I don't do something.
Then I had my baby and found out an ex-boyfriend only 5 months older than me is dying of lymphoma. I cannot leave my babies alone and I want to get off the couch and play with them!
Turning 45 this month with an infant was another shock to the system.
So far, so good. It's all been diet so far though, and I know I am hitting the wall where I am going to have to get some intentional exercise in daily!

chick_in_the_hat
09-08-2007, 05:21 PM
My moment was in 2003 when I was 37. I went to the doctor to ask to have my tubes tied (tired of taking BC pills). My doctor told me I was too fat for the surgery. It was the first time it dawned on me that my weight was keeping me from things I wanted.