General chatter - Does Anyone Know Much About Statutory Rape Laws?

tweetyandme
06-10-2007, 07:07 PM
I have looked on the internet to collect as much information on Statutory rape before i try to talk to any law officials. All i can seem to find is the meaning of it:

Statutory rape is the crime of sex with a minor under the age of consent.

I know that laws vary by state, so if anyone knows anything about Delaware laws on this matter, or know exactly where to look, it would be so helpful!

Thank you!!!!!!!!

~Krissie

SoulBliss
06-10-2007, 07:15 PM
:?: What is happening? Are you okay? :hug:

Hope this helps:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc/publications/infores/statutoryrape/handbook/issu.html

http://opa.osophs.dhhs.gov/titlex/statutory%20rape_state%20laws_lewin.pdf

tweetyandme
06-10-2007, 07:57 PM
:?: What is happening? Are you okay? :hug:

Hope this helps:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc/publications/infores/statutoryrape/handbook/issu.html

http://opa.osophs.dhhs.gov/titlex/statutory%20rape_state%20laws_lewin.pdf

Thank you so much! I really need help. Well, to be as brief as posible: I turned 18 back in March, but back when i was 17 my ex boyfriend forced himself on my almost daily. I told him i didn't think it was right because of the age, but he said it wasn't a big deal. Even then, i still didn't want to do anything with him. I didn't think i could do anything about it, He was bigger then me, besides i thought who was going to beleive me, a 17 year old over a 26 year old man? Anyway, the only evidence i have now is that i am 5 months pregnant with his baby. If there is anyway to stop him before he does this to some other innocent girl, i will do everything in my power to do so.

SoulBliss
06-10-2007, 08:27 PM
I am so sorry you had to go through that. Have you spoken with the police or any legal aid associations?

bargoo
06-10-2007, 08:28 PM
I think you should go to the authorities as soon as possible.They will know exactly what to do. It will be important to establish paternity as you should not have to bear the financial responsibility alone. Please let us know what happens.

tweetyandme
06-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Well i have another legal issue going on with my ex right now. He made what police call a terriristic threat on my life, and the life of my unborn child, so now we have to go to court over that. All of this legal stuff is stressing me out to the point that my doctors think i might have a miscarrige any day now. I just don't want to pile too much on my plate at this point and time, but as soon as this court matter is over, i will make turning him in my top priority.

Mummy_Tummy
06-11-2007, 03:34 AM
If he was forcing himself on you then that is NOT stautory rape, it's just plain ol' rape and you should tell someone right away. At least a counselor or even a nurse at your ob/gyn.

charolastra00
06-11-2007, 04:46 AM
I agree with Mummy_Tummy! Statutory rape is a lesser charge than flat out rape. That might be a harder case to prove as it continued over a period of time when you were together, but you should definitely speak to the police immediately about seeing that as an avenue. If you said no at any time to his actions, then it was beyond statutory rape. The biggest issue with waiting to turn him in is then it looks like you're just trying to get him in more trouble- which you obviously aren't but you need to make it clear on the records that he raped you. If you wait, legal officials and a jury might wonder why you waited until after the first legal proceedings to turn him in.

*hugs* Do not try to put this all on yourself. The sooner you speak to legal officials, the better. They are well equipped to handle the situation and hopefully take as much stress off of you as you can. Once you have that taken care of, is there any way for you to get away from where you are? Friends, family, etc? At the very least, do you have a restraining order against him?

aphil
06-11-2007, 10:08 AM
tweety-

I am confused about something...was your ex-boyfriend 26 or 19? In a different thread you stated that you had an abusive 19 year old boyfriend.

:?:

bargoo
06-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Go to the authorities . if you feel you can't do that tell your doctor what happened or his nurse, this needs to be reported.

ennay
06-11-2007, 03:32 PM
tweety, that isnt statutory rape, that is rape.

veggielover
06-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I agree with the others. Stat rape is usually coined with sexual intercourse usually with the consent of a minor (depending on state laws, the age varies). Without consent, regardless of age, is RAPE. It's a violation on an individual's rights and wishes and you MUST take action before this idiot starts to force another girl into his acts.

Lafayette
06-11-2007, 06:45 PM
In many states, you will also be assigned a victim advocate who can explain the applicable laws in layman's terms and direct you to any services you feel you need.

Good luck!

tweetyandme
06-11-2007, 10:53 PM
tweety-

I am confused about something...was your ex-boyfriend 26 or 19? In a different thread you stated that you had an abusive 19 year old boyfriend.

:?:

I posted the question a good while back about the 19 year old. I don't remember how long ago it was, but it wasn't in the last 7 months. The man i am speaking of now is my ex fiancee' who was my rebound relationship from the 19 year old, i'm sorry to say. The 19 year old and i broke up in September.
This 26 year old guy saw that i was in a bad way since my past break up, and took advantage of the situation.

tweetyandme
06-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Recent information on this, i spoke with the state police, and they have told me to come in and make a statement ASAP. They said i do have a case since i am pregnant with his child. I have a doctors appointment in 1 week, and i had planned on speaking to my doctor then, but i went to the police instead. The cops said i don't have any evidence of regular rape since it occured a couple of months back, but i still can get him on statutory rape.

I thank all of you for your concern and advice, it was greatly needed. I also thank each and every one of you for not judgeing me on this difficult situation.

4myloves
06-12-2007, 12:19 PM
I know you already know this, and it's easy to preach, but--

You are TOO YOUNG to be going through all of this. You don't need a man to make you a complete person, and from following your story from the beginning--the very beginning--I don't think you've realized this yet.

You have a lot of issues to work through before you bring a child into the world, and not much time to do it. I really hope you consider going to a psychologist or psychiatrist.

It is very easy to continue the cycle of abuse. You may be a wonderful mother when given the chance, but given your tendency to "hook up" with extremely abusive men, I really fear the example you will eventually set for your child. I KNOW that lots of women are able to break away from this cycle and build successful lives for themselves and their children (there are at least 2 here at 3FC that I can think of right off the bat!) and I have a mountain of respect for them.

You, however, don't seem to be at a point in your life yet in which you feel the need to change. I can't help but wonder how long it's going to be before you're posting here again about some "perfect" man that you've met, that you love, whom you trust enough to "fall asleep in his lap while he discusses his life with your mother."

You have some serious growing up to do when it comes to the opposite sex. Just because you've been sexually active for some time (unfortunately), that does not mean you were ready for it. Nor does that make you ready for it when the next man comes along. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE REMEMBER YOUR CHILD BEFORE YOU BRING ANOTHER MAN INTO YOUR LIFE!!!! Also, PLEASE get out of the mindset that you NEED a man in your life at this time!

I won't wish you luck with your statutory rape charge and I won't badmouth the man with whom you conceived your child, because your stories about him (and all the other men) have been too conflicting for me to pass judgement on him. I will just wish you luck with figuring out your life and, eventually, being a mother.

nelie
06-12-2007, 01:05 PM
I would also urge you to get psychological counseling. You are young and going through a lot and I think counseling could help you a lot. There are even forums that will help with psychological issues.

lilybelle
06-12-2007, 01:21 PM
tweety, not to at all minimize what you are going through. You were in the hands of an older, persuasive man. But, if it were actually physical rape (versus being talked into something that you were unsure about), would you have kept putting yourself in that position on an "almost daily" basis. Just something to think about and something I'm sure that any judge in this great land is gonna consider.

I may take a real bashing for this opinion, and that's OK. This is coming from the wife of a law enforcement official. So, wanted you to know how the court is gonna look at it. It goes back to the old saying "fool me once, shame on you: fool me twice shame on me".

tweetyandme
06-12-2007, 03:11 PM
I am in counseling currently, and have been in for the past 2 months. I have given up on men completly because of the wrong choices i have made. I have only been with 2 bad men, before that, i never dated. As for my baby, i would NEVER do anything to harm her, and that includes me being with another abusive man. I do not need man in my life, and they are out for good. For those who even care, i am turning my life around completly. I am going to parenting classes, i've gotten into a church group, i am even volenteering down at the abused woman and childrens shelter, which is making me realize just how bad my life could have been if i had not wised up and made some better decisions. The only reason i even wanted to get my ex on the Stat. charge is because my father, a cop, told me to do so, so that way he doesn't do what he did to me, to another girl. My top priority now, and until the day i die is this baby inside me, and i will stop at nothing to make sure she doesn't make any of the same mistakes that i have in my past. I am not stupid, i have learned from my past mistakes, and i would like to move past them.

mandalinn82
06-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Tweetyandme -

I'd like to suggest a resource for you in dealing with the aftermath of this sexual assault (in addition to your therapy). It was a great help to me, and an incredibly supportive community.

http://www.pandys.org

It is a message board/community for sexual assault survivors, and full of wonderful men and women who you can talk to while you work on dealing with the aftermath of such a traumatic situation. There are also other mothers on the board, or those expecting babies, as sometimes sexual assault bring up different issues related to parenting (lots of mothers have fears for their girls, for example, or are uncomfortable during prenatal exams due to the trauma of the assault).

Amanda

tweetyandme
06-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Tweetyandme -

I'd like to suggest a resource for you in dealing with the aftermath of this sexual assault (in addition to your therapy). It was a great help to me, and an incredibly supportive community.

http://www.pandys.org

It is a message board/community for sexual assault survivors, and full of wonderful men and women who you can talk to while you work on dealing with the aftermath of such a traumatic situation. There are also other mothers on the board, or those expecting babies, as sometimes sexual assault bring up different issues related to parenting (lots of mothers have fears for their girls, for example, or are uncomfortable during prenatal exams due to the trauma of the assault).

Amanda

Thank you, i viewed the site, and i am going to join.

mandalinn82
06-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Forgot to add - they also have a "Pursuing Legal Action" section where you might be able to get more definitive answers to your original post question.

lilybelle
06-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Krissie, I'm very happy to see that you are trying to "turn your life around" and I hope and pray that it works out well for you. I'm glad you are also trying to focus on your unborn child and are recieving parenting classes. I think this is a good thing and putting your focus/drive and energy on bettering your life for you and the baby is what it's all about. (Versus revenge on the creep of an EX). Trust me when I say once the baby is here, all that other non-sense will be " just water under the bridge".

Staying away from men for a while is a good idea. When I had my DD, I didn't date not a single time for 3 yrs. By choice, I just needed and wanted to focus on myself and my kids, not a Man. It was the right decision and both my kids (now ages 15 and 21) say some of the happiest time in their lives is when it was just us 3, with no man around.

freiamaya
06-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Ms. Tweety, you deserve a great big hug! You are so very brave, and will be able to overcome this because you have sought the right help to deal with this. Best of luck, and keep all of us in your support team updated!