Does it Work? - Alli? Thoughts on the only "FDA approved" weight loss product

ordinarysocks
06-08-2007, 02:06 AM
http://www.myalli.com/

Alli, claiming to be the "only FDA approved over-the-counter weight loss product" will be up for grabs on June 15th. There are already people pre-ordering on Amazon and Walgreens online.

Any thoughts on this? I'm not even sure what is IN it, the website doesn't seem to make it clear... at least it emphasizes that it is only beneficial when combined with exercise and healthy eating choices.

Hmm.

kaplods
06-08-2007, 02:40 AM
It's xenical (orlistat) at a reduced strength.

Summersweety
06-09-2007, 09:17 PM
I've been taking it for about 2 months. I was with a group of people who were chosen to try it ahead of time. I have not had any trouble with it, but you really need to read ALL of the information that comes with it and stick to a lowfat/low calorie diet. Otherwise you can have some unpleasant side effects (they call them treatment effects).
I have done well, probably would have done better if I hadn't stopped taking it for a bit around Memeorial day. I do stop taking it about 48 hours before I have a special event, but like with any other diet I needed to get right back on track, other wise I just would have given up.
Alli works in your digestive system, so it doesn't cause your heart to race, or give you "the jitters".

ennay
06-12-2007, 12:41 PM
OK here are my thoughts

Since the pill blocks absorption of SOME of the fat you eat, but you have to eat a low fat diet in order to avoid some pretty unpleasant side effects, its primary benefit is as a behaviour modification tool.

If you are capable at sticking to a lowfat healthy diet on your own, the benefit is small, alli only will absorb about 100-130 calories a day - and with that you are risking losing the benefits of healthy fats and some of your fat soluble vitamins. And I question whether in the long run it will have benefits as you would eventually want to stop taking it.

However, if you really struggle with eating well, the negative reinforcement you get with the side effects MAY help you retrain your eating habits. Kind of like the way gastric bypass forces you to eat small meals. I think if you really want to be healthy and follow a plan it could help, but if it is seen as an "easy way out" it is a bad idea.

Heather
06-12-2007, 12:54 PM
However, if you really struggle with eating well, the negative reinforcement you get with the side effects MAY help you retrain your eating habits.

ennay-- I think your analysis is right on, and a good way to think about it.

I just wanted to clarify, as a psychologist, that from a behavioral perspective, negative consequences are "punishment" not "negative reinforcement".

Negative reinforcement occurs when an aversive stimulus is removed from the environment and the behavior that seemed to cause it is reinforced -- meaning it is more likely to occur again. A classic example is when you get in your car and there's this annoying beeping sound, which stops when you put on your seatbelt. Putting on your seatbelt is the behavior that has been reinforced. We call it "negative" because now that annoying beeping is gone.

Punishment refers to the presence of an aversive stimulus making a behavior LESS likely to occur in the future. With alli the "digestion issues" are supposed to make the behavior (eating fatty foods) LESS likely to occur in the future.

From a behavioral perspective, punishment is not always as effective as reinforcement... but I've probably been on the :soap: for too long as it is!! ! :D

I hope I didn't hijack the thread!

Amy8888
06-12-2007, 02:34 PM
ennay-- I think your analysis is right on, and a good way to think about it.

I just wanted to clarify, as a psychologist, that from a behavioral perspective, negative consequences are "punishment" not "negative reinforcement".

I hope I didn't hijack the thread!

One psychologist to another, THANK YOU for posting that! :carrot:

In response to the question, I'm planning on purchasing this. I'm starting to lose weight after having two babies since January 2006, or at least I'm trying to. It's hard getting motivated and dealing with the many lifestyle changes accompanying two kids in diapers. So if I even buy one pack of this and it gives my weight loss efforts an initial boost, I will be happy. Then I can hopefully continue the weight loss without any extra help.

Treighsie
06-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Would something like this be beneficial to someone who only has 10 pounds to lose?

Heather
06-12-2007, 04:26 PM
One psychologist to another, THANK YOU for posting that!

You're welcome! That's a hard concept -- at least my students think so!

Suzanne 3FC
06-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Would something like this be beneficial to someone who only has 10 pounds to lose?

The literature stresses that it should only be used if you are overweight. Your goal weight may be 10 pounds away, but are you within the guidelines for your height?

Musicgal
06-12-2007, 07:10 PM
I want to thank everyone for your advice on this thread. I don't think this product is for me since I don't have much weight to lose. Does anyone know the price for this product? Thanks.

Musicgal
06-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Sorry, I'm such a dunce! Just saw the ads on the side so I know it'll cost about $50 for the starter pack but how many pills do you get and how long does a pack last? Thanks for putting up with my questions!!!

Amy8888
06-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Sorry, I'm such a dunce! Just saw the ads on the side so I know it'll cost about $50 for the starter pack but how many pills do you get and how long does a pack last? Thanks for putting up with my questions!!!

I clicked on the link..that's 60 pills, and I believe you take 3 pills a day, so it lasts 20 days. The refill pack contains 120 pills for about $74.

RobinW
06-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Well, Im going to give this one a try. I picked up my starter pack at walgreens.....wasnt available at cvs until tomorrow.

Im very curious to see how this works, and how much difference it makes in my weightloss.

The side effects dont bother me too much. As long as you eat the way you are suppose to, you should be fine. As far as the literature says. I like the fact that it doesnt effect my heart, or nervous system, or mess with anything else. Just blocks the fat from being absorbed. Worth a try for me.

Amy8888
06-14-2007, 11:17 PM
I decided to wait until more reviews came, but I was at Walgreen's for something else so I peeked in the diet drug section. It was already sold out! I'm not that surprised given the buzz surrounding its release, but I thought that was interesting.

marymaybe
06-15-2007, 11:10 AM
i got the starter pack it had 90 pills in it

channning102
06-15-2007, 12:45 PM
I have been eating somewhat right for about a year and half. Exercising 5 times a week. I am off for the summer and might give this a try. I wish their were more reveiws on it.

707Goddess
06-15-2007, 01:14 PM
For those of you that did pick it up and try it PLEASE POST UP im "very" curious to see if the side effects are as bad as i think?
Thanks Michelle

RobinW
06-15-2007, 06:59 PM
alright, Im on day 2.......so far nothing other than having to go extra. 3x instead of just once in the morning. But nothing out of the ordinary in all other aspects :D ....its hard describing that tactfully :lol:

I also take a fibre supplement...maybe this has something to do about it. I'll post if anything else happens in the next couple days.

Something else I noticed today.....I wasnt hungry. Anyone else experience this?

channning102
06-15-2007, 10:07 PM
I picked it up today at costcos. I am glad I did not get it at CVS, it was a lot cheaper. I will start tomorrow and try to keep everyone posted.

Musicgal
06-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Amy and everyone, thanks for the info. I don't know if I should invest the money in this as I have about ten or so pounds to lose. May just stick with a healthy diet (I'm doing the Best Life Diet) and more exercise as I already have some stomach problems and don't need any more! I went to CVS and they just had the book displayed. The news said a lot of stores were sold out already. I think I'll wait for more input on actual people before I buy if I ever do.

Shayz
06-16-2007, 02:55 PM
I bought a 90 pill starter pack on Thursday and haven't noticed any side effects yet. Since I have been eating a low fat diet for the past month and working out pretty much every day this seemed like a good addition to my plan. It takes about 48 hours for any side effect to show up so this weekend should tell me if there will be any "treatment effects". I'll let you guys know!

imapaigeturner
06-16-2007, 07:16 PM
I started the diet a week ago when the books came out, then started the pills yesterday. I was TERRIFIED of gaining weight because the diet is 400-600 cals/day more that I got on LA weightloss. I have pleateaued there for over a month now.. they keep taking away more and more food, and it seems that my body went into starvation mode. So I started this higher calorie diet... stayed the same all week long, then I took the pills and lost a poundfor the 1st time in over a MONTH!

The thing with the side effects is that is why it works... you will avoid those high fat meals in order to avoid the side effects. It is pretty simple. It is like when you are a child and you learn not to touch the stove because it is hot. I think it retrains you to think differently about food.

Just my experience .. who knows what I will say in a week!

Paige

http://www.myalli.com/

Alli, claiming to be the "only FDA approved over-the-counter weight loss product" will be up for grabs on June 15th. There are already people pre-ordering on Amazon and Walgreens online.

Any thoughts on this? I'm not even sure what is IN it, the website doesn't seem to make it clear... at least it emphasizes that it is only beneficial when combined with exercise and healthy eating choices.

Hmm.

RobinW
06-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Well day 3 complete.

It doesnt take 48 hrs for effects to show up. It took by my 3rd pill to start showing signs.

My best description......if you take a fish oil supplement, and maybe take 2 or 3 caplets, and take a fibre supplement......thats about how it feels.

Like everything is lubed right up and slides right out :lol3: But not uncontrollable (so far) I also tend to get a bit gassy right before...which isnt normal for me. So I take it as a warning....another bm is on the way and fairly soon.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in their hunger? Ive never ever eaten low fat, and not been hungry all the time. I actually had to force myself to eat lunch today. (it was 3pm....I hadnt been hungry at all)

Thats about it.

one_sweet_babydoll
06-17-2007, 01:15 AM
ok i started the pills 2 days ago but i really haven"t noticed anything bad yet ,i also have noticed that i don't seem as hungry ,it could all be in our mind or maybe there is something to control your hunger in the pills , guess we will find out soon huh . I lost alot of weight a few years back on low fat diet ,{ABOUT 6O LBS)but I have regained most of it due to going back to my old habits so i am hoping this will give me a nuge to get back on the right track , good luck to you all i know we all need it lol especially me !!!!! :p

lookergirl76
06-17-2007, 03:13 AM
I went to walgreens today they had all size packs the 120 pill pack was only 69 dollars. I wont waste my money on the starter pack I know how it works and dont want to pay extra money to get some help online. This is way cheaper then xenical a 30 day supply of that is 100 dollars a month and ya gotta pay to see the doctor and time etc. I know its not as strong as xenical but worth being able to just go to the corner store when ya run out and ya dont have to prove your fat like my doctor she didnt even want to give it to me cause I was just on the borderline back then. Also one more thing I know it says only take if overweight but im gonna take it when im at my goal to maintain my weight!

RobinW
06-17-2007, 09:28 AM
,i also have noticed that i don't seem as hungry ,it could all be in our mind or maybe there is something to control your hunger in the pills , guess we will find out soon huh .

thats what I keep wondering, is it all in my head? Or is there really something in the pills to help with the hunger. Im glad to hear Im not the only one :lol:

tweetyistruckin
06-17-2007, 12:01 PM
I am on day 3 of being on Alli. I have been also doing the Jenny Craig program and am on the third day of that too. I haven't noticed any side effects at all really except for a little tummy gurggling last night....lol. So far so good! I will keep posting! Good luck all!

Teresa

:carrot:

DNR
06-18-2007, 01:31 PM
I started Alli today and don't have anything to report yet. But I will keep everyone posted - the good and the bad (if there is any). It sounds like most people on his post so far are doing OK with this.

tkt117
06-18-2007, 04:51 PM
I am on my second day of Alli... I haven't had any real effects other than some gargling in my stomach. But I am being obsessive compulsive about writing down everything that I eat. My lunch was really close to breakfast this morning... I was a little bit concerned because combined they are 25 grams of fat... but so far so good.

Nothing unusual to report. But someone said it takes three days for the "treatment affects" to kick in. So I will reserve judgement until then!

Three of us at work went in on a 150 pack from costco. It was $66 for 150 pills... pretty affordable. So I have 50 pills to decide if I am going to go this route or not.

Good Luck!

RobinW
06-18-2007, 05:32 PM
....still not hungry, and Im one week before my cycle. So WOW! Is it still in my head??? Oh, who knows :lol:

Ive noticed a headache since I started Alli. Not bad, and not bad enough to take anything, but just an irritation. I had orginally thought it was caused from the cortislim I was taking and then stopped once I started Alli. But its been a bit too long now for that.

This past week (being the second week of my diet) but only 4 days on Alli, I had lost 9lbs. I guess I'll better be able to judge next week after a full week, and 3 weeks on eating plan.

But its 9lbs gone one week before my cycle.....which is usually a water logged week!!! So Im very pleased so far.

tkt117
06-18-2007, 06:07 PM
I don't know if it is related... but I have had a slight headache as well. More of a nuisance that a throbbing pain. I thought it was because I didn't get a coffee this morning... but I went and got one and my head is still hurting a bit.

I too am not that hungry... that I am sure is in my head because I am actually AFRAID to eat! :)

tweetyistruckin
06-18-2007, 06:35 PM
This is now my 4th day on Alli and on my low fat eating. I have dropped 7 pounds. I am sure it is water weight and also using the potty more often. I have also had a slight headache. Nothing to bad though. I drive a dump truck so I am used to the noise and headaches and such. I do think that it is from Alli or maybe detoxining from all the sugars. Anyways I am happy with this product so far. My friend is also on Alli. Her birthday was Saturday and she ate a huge steak. She said that after she ate it she spent the rest quite awhile in the bathroom if you know what I mean :o
Well i will keep you guys updated!!

So far so good :dancer:

one_sweet_babydoll
06-18-2007, 11:33 PM
i been doing ok on the pills so far , don't know if i have lost any yet ,i haven't weighed myself yet but i don't feel as bloated, i will get on those dreaded scales this weekend to see if there is a little differece anyway . How is everyone else doing on alli? HAVE YOU LOST ANY WEIGHT YET OR ARE YOU LIKE ME AFRAID TO SEE LOL

shootingstar67
06-19-2007, 05:15 AM
This was an interesting thread. I think I will skip on this. I have cut out all saturated fat out of my diet and have make this a lifestyle change I am comfortable with. But I struggle to get enough natural omega 3 and 6.

Kilketay
06-19-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm intrigued by this product, but I guess it doesn't really seem worth it. You only end up cutting out 100 - 150 calories a day, which translates into an extra 1 - 1 1/2 pounds lost per month. It doesn't seem worth it to me to spend $60 a month and take a pill three times a day for only an extra pound a month. Am I missing something?

mezmerize
06-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Hey thanks to everyone for their feedback on this product. I would like to give this product a try. I think it will honestly give me that extra boost to stay away from chips and also keep my husband from offering me them. Thanks again. I hope someone starts an Alli support thread. I'd do it but I dont' know how.

tkt117
06-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Well on to day three... the only side effects so far are a slight headache and I actually seem somewhat constipated! :P I hope that this is not the calm before the storm! I did weigh myself and I am down a pound, I drank a lot of water yesterday to purge my system. The loss is really just water. But I think after a week I will know for sure.

Last night we had pizza, and I will tell you that the pill worked from keeping me from eating more than one piece. One slice had 10 grams of fat. So I had one slice two baked chicken tenders and a salad with no dressing. So far... So Good.

For those who are reading these threads and considering using Alli, so far it seems to be working for me. I have no interest in testing the limits of the drug because I don't want to incur the side effects. I am not craving the high fat foods. I am also writing everything down and researching it before it goes in my mouth.

Good Luck!

cmbmom05
06-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Robinw - your description was something else :lol:

What's curious is how three of you describe getting a headache. Seems too coincidental don't you agree? Have any of you checked out the alli message boards to see if anyone else is getting that headache?

I appreciate you ladies giving the feedback on this product. I'm up in the air about it and think I will talk to my Dr about it at my appt this afternoon since I'll have his attention.

Missi

PicklesPotter
06-19-2007, 02:30 PM
I am intrigued by this product also, but think for now I will skip it. I do like hearing the updates of everyone. For the most part, the feedback has been positive. If it stays this way, maybe I will try it.

RobinW
06-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Hiya Missi, I agree about the headaches. No I havent been over to the message boards yet. I keep meaning to, but then forget. Let see if I remember today! :lol: I just remembered....if I drink all my water during the day, I dont get the headaches until about 8pm. Thats when I stop drinking water(so I'll sleep thru the night)

Here is my honest appraisal so far.

Even if these pills didnt block a % of fat, I would still take them! Why?

The #1 reason after 5 days. I am NOT hungry! AND, Im in the middle of a very rough pms session!! That alone is reason enough for me to take this stuff. Hunger and cravings have been my issue since I hit puberty. But this is the week I have so much trouble with chocolate cravings and wild animal type hunger. All 'round Im very pleased with how I feel on these. How do I feel? No different! Thats the best part!

cmbmom05
06-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Do you think it's dehydration that is causing the headache? I mean since your bowels need plenty of h2o to function regularly, and alli basically is over-stimulating them....it might mean any taking alli should stay right on top of the water consumption. Or maybe even too much water if you drink a lot?
Just throwing some ideas out there since I might end up taking alli, not so much for extra weight loss so much as a behavioral tool. I forgot to ask my Dr about what he thought since my appt was last minute. (nasty period problems, ugh. He was thrilled about my loss so far though.)

Not to be too nosey but since you wake up at night to pee, have you been tested for diabetes just in case? I know that can be a symptom. (feel free to tell me to bug off, but I'm diabetic and nosey)

I just finished lurking on the alli board and it seems that there are a lot of women who didn't bother to educate themselves very well. There are also some mentions of doubling the doses. :( That's kind of disturbing. Then again, there are a few ladies who have taken it before when it was RX and they have good advice.

I'm really interested in the fact that you don't feel hungry. I wonder why that is and will a lot of us be like that if we take it? I'd love to control my hunger at times.

Missi

ThinGirl in FatBody
06-19-2007, 05:11 PM
You only end up cutting out 100 - 150 calories a day, which translates into an extra 1 - 1 1/2 pounds lost per month.

That's an extra 12 - 18 pounds lost over a year. Sounds worth it to me.

Good luck to everyone trying Alli, :)

RobinW
06-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Thingirl, I love your avatar!!:lol:

Missi....I managed to get over to the alli board today too. I was surprised too at the women that didnt educate themselves. I cannot imagine doubling the dose, I dont want to imagine.....I dont want to wear diapers again until I absolutley have to...and that better be when Im well into my 100's :lol:

I hadnt thought about being dehydrated, but it certainly makes sense. Getting up to p in the night only happens when I drink water the way Im suppose to when Im trying to lose weight. I have to make a point to stop at 8pm. Thats the only time I have issues with it. No worries.

I didnt see anyone on the alli board say anything about not being hungry. I posted a question about it, but all posts have to go thru a moderator before they actually get posted. I dont know if its up yet.

Edited to say, I was just over at the other board, and there now seems to be issues with headaches, and no hunger. But like I said, if I drink lots of water, its barely noticable.(the headache that is)

cmbmom05
06-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Do you remember reading anything about headaches as a potential side effect because I sure don't and I thought I read them rather well. I'm going to reread through whatever they have online and see what I find. Seems to me they'd include headache with the other "treatment effcts". Not sure I like the idea of having a headache right before bedtime but since I wake up to pee all the time anyways I wouldn't notice any change from extra water.;)

Gonna go lurk some more and see about the headche phenomenom.

HAGN

Shayz
06-19-2007, 10:12 PM
I had a slight headache Sunday, more annoying that painful. Other than that I haven't had any side effects at all. Of course I am watching what I eat very very carefully.

mezmerize
06-19-2007, 10:24 PM
I purchased the starter pack of Alli today. I'm going to read through everything and be prepared food wise plus educate my family on it. So in 2 - 4 days I will be using this tool to help me with my WLP. I'm having a problem registering my Alli product the page won't load. I've emailed them and fingers crossed they will help me figure out what is wrong. Has anyone else had this problem. I was able to pick and register a user name. But when I went to log in your Alli Product code the page had a run time error.
Well I've babbled long enought... HAPPY ALLI EVERYONE!!

Shayz
06-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Honestly I wasn't really impressed with their food tracking program or their message boards. The Daily Plate has been working better for me.

tkt117
06-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Hi,

So I am curious about the headache thing as well. I have had a nagging headache for the last two days. Dehydration makes sense, but yesterday I drank a ton of water. Today it is better... hopefully by tomorrow it will be non existent! :P

For dinner my family was having steaks, so I had 1/4 of steak sliced and put it on a tortilla. I am waiting a little while to take my pill. If ever there was a meal that was going to test the bounds of "treatment effects" this is the one. But... if I was not taking the pill, I would have consumed an entire steak at 680 cals and 30 grams of fat. So I will chalk this one up as a small success even if I have to pay for it later tonight.

Someone had mentioned a decreased appetite. I know that the pill does not affect hunger, but I have not been very hungry either. I think it is FEAR of what will happen if I over eat, and the fact that I really don't want to experience any of the effects.

I plan to weigh myself officially on Friday. That will be 5 days on the pill, enough time to figure out if it is working.

Good Luck Ladies! :)

tkt117
06-20-2007, 12:26 AM
FYI: I visited the Alli website and 5 people were reporting headaches... here is one of the posts....

"hello. my name is John and I am a member of the alli team. remember that alli works only in the digestive tract so there is no interation btwn alli and your brain or heart. your headache may be from your new diet -- it takes the body a while to adjust. Stay hydrated and eat often -- it is best to eat ~ 5 times a day so have healthy snacks in between meals. To report any adverse effects, you can call 800-671-2554. Best of luck with alli."

LisainCalifornia
06-20-2007, 02:19 AM
I just read this article about it:

http://www.newstarget.com/019387.html

The study that I looked at showed that the people in the clinical trial gained all of the weight they dropped while using the medication back after going off the pills. Does anyone have any information about this?

crabbypatty
06-20-2007, 02:23 AM
i would love to try alli but all your talk about headaches keeps me from buying it! i already have severe migranes about 3 days out of the week and i don't want any more pain than i already have.. but i really really want to try alli!

not sure what to do...:?:

RobinW
06-20-2007, 08:26 AM
FYI: I visited the Alli website and 5 people were reporting headaches... here is one of the posts....

"hello. my name is John and I am a member of the alli team. remember that alli works only in the digestive tract so there is no interation btwn alli and your brain or heart. your headache may be from your new diet -- it takes the body a while to adjust. Stay hydrated and eat often -- it is best to eat ~ 5 times a day so have healthy snacks in between meals. To report any adverse effects, you can call 800-671-2554. Best of luck with alli."

I didnt see this posting....but then again, its hard to find anything over there without going thru it with a fine tooth comb.

Anyway, I dont believe it has anything to do with my diet. Ive been on my eating program since June 1st. Started Alli on the 14th. The 16th, is when the headaches started. Any headaches from my eating plan were in the first 3 days of my plan....and then were gone.

RobinW
06-20-2007, 08:30 AM
I just read this article about it:

http://www.newstarget.com/019387.html

The study that I looked at showed that the people in the clinical trial gained all of the weight they dropped while using the medication back after going off the pills. Does anyone have any information about this?

Im sure they did. If you are relying on a pill to help you loose weight without changing your eating habits, you will of course gain back what you lost.

Change your habits with the pill, and continue to maintain once you have reached your goal. The weight will stay off. It really doesnt have anything to do with the pill. It has everything to do with the person taking it, and how they are eating after the pill.

Just like any other program....work the program, then maintain it!

rosie40
06-20-2007, 08:38 AM
I didnt see this posting....but then again, its hard to find anything over there without going thru it with a fine tooth comb.

Anyway, I dont believe it has anything to do with my diet. Ive been on my eating program since June 1st. Started Alli on the 14th. The 16th, is when the headaches started. Any headaches from my eating plan were in the first 3 days of my plan....and then were gone.

I,too, have had dull headaches since taking this. Today is day 3 for me. My head is killing me this morning!! I know it's not diet related in my case because I have not had to make many "changes". I already ate pretty close to their recommeded diet plan.

I haven't had any other "ill effects" yet, but this headache would be enough for me to throw in the towel!!

rosie40
06-20-2007, 09:12 AM

I wonder if there could be some kind of correlation between the headaches the fact that Alli blocks fat soluble vitamins A, D, E & K?? I would think that a deficency there could certainly induce headaches.

cmbmom05
06-20-2007, 09:57 AM
rosie - But if the ladies are all taking their multivitamins at night shouldn't that negate any headches from lack of vitamins? The whole headache thing seems odd to me. So far we've got dehydration, diet change and vitamin defficiency for headches causes. Seems like we're doing the drug testing for them at this point! :p

But seriously, has anyone been using more artificial sweeteners or maybe eating more cold cuts or something that would contain common headache triggers? Hey, maybe it's the body's way of handling the stress of the new pill?

rosie40
06-20-2007, 10:52 AM
rosie - But if the ladies are all taking their multivitamins at night shouldn't that negate any headches from lack of vitamins? The whole headache thing seems odd to me. So far we've got dehydration, diet change and vitamin defficiency for headches causes. Seems like we're doing the drug testing for them at this point! :p

But seriously, has anyone been using more artificial sweeteners or maybe eating more cold cuts or something that would contain common headache triggers? Hey, maybe it's the body's way of handling the stress of the new pill?

Who knows what the answer is... I can honestly say that I've really not done anything drastically different in my diet, and I am well hydrated. After some deliberation, and a wicked headache like I've never experienced before... My instinct tells me this is not the way for me to go.

It was worth a try. At least it did get me back into my healthier diet and exercise routine which I'm really glad to be back on....

I do wish the best to others, though!

tkt117
06-20-2007, 11:45 AM
I am on day three, and my headache is gone. I had been remiss in taking my vitamin, so I took that last night. So far so good. The scale is down 2.5lbs... probably just SHOCK from eating healthy again! :) I have had NO treatment affects at all. I have changed my diet. I am getting more lean protein that has moderate fat. As a result I have not been getting as much fiber as I am used to, and I am suffering from a problem that is opposite of the treatment effects. ;)

So far so good on this side. Good Luck ladies!

tweetyistruckin
06-20-2007, 05:43 PM
I am on day 6 of Alli. My headaches have seemed to have gone away also. Only real side effects are the (i know gross) loose oily stools that I have every now and then. Otherwise so far so good. i am done 8 pounds in a week. I cannot really complain to much. I have also been eating healthy and excersicing. Well off to the gym! I will keep you guys posted!

ThinGirl in FatBody
06-20-2007, 06:09 PM
8 pounds! was this your first week of dieting? sometimes you lose lots of water the first week and then the weightloss comes down.

SASCS
06-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the posts of people who have actually tried it. It has been hard to read through the posts about Alli because so many people who are not using it are just giving their opinions, and if you posted something that was pro-alli the backlash was discouraging on what is suppose to be a friendly, supportive website. Thank you for the information about the headaches too. Please keep posting if you are using it for those of us who are just starting out. If we all just had willpower, this website probably would not exist.

Shayz
06-20-2007, 09:02 PM
I think a healthy amount of skepticism is a good thing because this product is not for everyone. People really need to understand how it work and what the consequences are if you eat more fat than you are suppose to before taking it.

The reason why I post on these boards about it instead of the Alli boards is because anyone can post their thoughts and experiences without the comments being moderated (like they are on the Alli site).

RobinW
06-20-2007, 09:05 PM
my headache is gone too.......could be because I upped my water.

SASCS
06-21-2007, 01:07 AM
A lot of posts were more than skepticism. I am a skeptic too. I was wondering why a few moderators on this site came down on it so strongly, when it is being advertised on this site. I would never take any OTC drug like Alli or prescription drug without checking it out. I agree with you that the Alli site is bias if all comments have to go through a moderator. I find most of my information about various OTC and prescription drugs on chat sites from people actually using the product. Like the headache side effect some people are having. I had major headaches when I tried the Fat Smash diet.

tkt117
06-21-2007, 02:36 AM
This is the best thread! I have not posted to the Alli thread for the same reasons as stated above. If I have an issue, I want it to be out in the open and not censored. BUT... some of the feedback and criticisms have been overwhelming on some of the 3FC threads as well. Mostly from people who have not tried it, and "could not be paid enough to try it." I respect their opinion and their choice. BUT I also respect other peoples choice to pony up the money and give it a try. :)

So far so good. My appetite is down significantly. Worrying about "oily gas" seems to have that effect on me! ;) The bothersome headache is finally gone. I have had no adverse effects at all, but I am following a very strict diet regimen and exercising. I have no false illusions about the power of this pill. Success is in my hands and my hands alone. So for those who would like a different perspective, I have completed day 3 with no treatment effects and the scale has been steadily moving in the downward direction. I won't do my final weigh in until next Monday.

Good Luck to everyone... no matter what method you pursue! :)

nelie
06-21-2007, 07:48 AM
FYI - This is a does it work? forum and often opinions are posted based on things we have read. The title of the this thread is basically "Thoughts on Alli". So people have posted their thoughts. As I said before, either in this thread or another, Alli isn't really new as Xenical has been around for years.

If you would like a place to discuss your use of Alli, rather than asking if it works and asking for the opinions of others, I suggest you form an Alli support group.

General diet plans would be my suggested area for starting an Alli group
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

ThinGirl in FatBody
06-21-2007, 08:34 AM
I have no false illusions about the power of this pill. Success is in my hands and my hands alone.

That's a great attitude :) People have to realize that the medication is not a solution, it's just a tool to help you along. I think an individual's attitude towards it makes all the difference for success and failure.

debalina
06-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Today is my first day on Alli and my low fat diet. I will keep everyone updated on my progress. :carrot:

Suzanne 3FC
06-21-2007, 11:05 AM
We've started a new thread in General Diet Plans for those taking alli. If you currently take it, please share your experiences and tips here - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115809