Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #1  

Default I find this to be strange

I walk 6 day's a week sometime's 7 , i was walking 5 mile's everyday and i'm up to 6 mi's. This is what i find to be strange i have not lost 1 pound nor have i lost any inches. I also swim in my pool if the weather let's me. I'm a fast walker always have been , i'm 5'4 and my weight is 144.5 I would like to get down to 130 . Most my life i weighted no more than 118. Thank's for any help you can give.

p.s.
I can't take up running , i have back problem"s.
And the dog would drag me down the trail,
chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Perhaps your caloric intake is sufficient to offset any deficit that the exercise is doing for you. What do you typically eat each day?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Perhaps your caloric intake is sufficient to offset any deficit that the exercise is doing for you. What do you typically eat each day?

Wouldn't that be insufficient? I would think that Chuckie should increase the calories so the body has something to burn. However, I'm still kinda new here and learning everyday.

Chuckie, you might want to ask Meg, Mel or some of the other pros around here that question.

Have you measured yourself in places besides your waist? Maybe your legs are getting thinner.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Its not surprising, if you aren't keeping track of your calories, it is easy to exercise a lot and not lose. Its happened to me before. Mostly because your body can increase its hunger when you are exercising so if you eat in response to your body then you will maintain rather than lose.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
Wouldn't that be insufficient? I would think that Chuckie should increase the calories so the body has something to burn. However, I'm still kinda new here and learning everyday.

Chuckie, you might want to ask Meg, Mel or some of the other pros around here that question.

Have you measured yourself in places besides your waist? Maybe your legs are getting thinner.
Mare~it's like this: Eat 3000 calories and exercise away 1000 calories gives you a total daily intake of 2000 calories. Perhaps that it too much to warrant a loss. You need to cut 3500 calories to lose a pound, but if the amount of calories exceeds what the body needs then there won't be a loss. With the intensity of exercise, I just thought Chuckie might be consuming a few too many calories. But, on the other hand.....it's good maintenance!!
Old 06-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Allison is right--it is most likely that you are still eating too many calories for the amount that you're burning. The trouble with exercise is that it does tend to make one hungry, so you have to be careful not to 'eat up' the calories you've burned during exercise if you want to lose weight.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #7  
Meg

I count Allison in as one of the pros around here.

And she's right - if the calories are sufficient to offset any deficit created by exercising, you won't lose weight. In other words, when the food you eat equals the calories you burn through exercise and everyday living, you won't lose weight.

Mare, I'm puzzled why you'd want to increase your calories when you exercise in order to "give your body something to burn"? We want our bodies to burn stored fat, right? If you give it enough calories that it doesn't need to dip into stored fat for energy, then you've defeated the whole point of exercise for weight loss. If you burn 300 calories through exercise and then eat an extra 300 calories, you've just canceled out the exercise.

Chuckie, your walking program sounds terrific! I agree with the other posters that you should look to how many calories you're eating to figure out why you're not losing. It's almost impossible to lose weight through exercise alone -- almost everyone has to restrict calories too. Do you track what you're eating now?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

"They" say that weightloss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. So stepping up the exercise alone will most likely not produce a weightloss.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #9  

I weigh and measure everything that i put in my mouth.

Breakfast: 2 scrambled egg's or 1c of honey bunches of oat's

Lunch : a very large veggie with ff dressing (sometime's i add sliced turkey )

Dinner: 6 ounce's of grilled chicken 1 sm tato and veggie with dinner size salad.

For my snack's i have fruit, yougurt or 98% fat free popcorn.

I'm doing flex pt's 18 pt's per day plus my 35 flex pt's per week.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #10  

I'm no expert (thanks anyway, Meg!!) but I understand a WW point is somewhere between 50-100 calories per point. If you're eating 18 points per day, that is anywhere between 900 and 1800 calories per day (without any of the flex points). 900 is too low and 1800 (depending on your height and weight) may be just right.

If I may offer a tweak or two to your diet:

substitute eggs for egg whites
substitute oatmeal (not instant) for honey bunches of oats cereal
substitute the potato for brown rice or quinoa
substitute the 6 ounces of chicken for 3-4 ounces of chicken or fish

Is your yogurt fat free? sugar free?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #11  

yes i buy the weight watcher's brand of yogurt it's 1 pt. My weight is 144.5 and has been for 2 yr's , that's why i can't figure out
why i don't lose ? My height is 5'4 .
Old 06-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #12  

I did a little Googling and as you know the internet isn't always accurate, but this is what I found.

To determine your basal caloric needs, multiply your body weight by 10 and then add that to your body weight (144.5x10+144.5=1589.5 calories per day). Basal caloric needs are what you need to be alive, lowering it by diet and/or exercise should cause weight loss.

Again, because I'm no WW expert, I had to check the calories on what you're eating. In my figures, it came to just over 900 calories which is extremely low. IMO, your body is in what some call "starvation mode". You're not eating enough to compensate for all that exercise you're doing. A lot of people here suggest that if you're not losing on what you normally eat, try eating a little bit more for a day or two to see what it does. It sounds scary (I know) but it might be what your body needs to realize that you are not really starving it.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #13  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

I agree with Alinnell. I think my body has been in starvation mode for months now. And now that I'm exercising (1 hour of DDR every day, maybe more if I find the time) I think I *have* to start eating more or it'll get worse. Based on Alinnell's equation, I need about 2,475 calories a day at basal. I would be surprised if I'm getting 2,000 a day. I'm just afraid to eat more for fear it'll offset my workouts. But since I'm starting to eat in a pattern I will start figuring my calories a day. I just hate the idea of counting calories forever.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

BlessedBe, don't worry! You will not go into starvation mode at 2000 cals a day.

Folks, the idea is that you eat fewer calories than your body needs, and that's how you lose weight! The so-called "starvation mode" doesn't come up unless you are averaging BELOW 1200 cals for some length of time--not just a couple of days.

My daily caloric requirement is 1760 by Alinnell's calculation, and 1780 on FitDay. To lose a pound a week, I should eat 1260 cals, creating a deficit.

That's how it works!

900 calories a day is considered too low, unless you are under doctor's supervision. At that level, your body is consuming muscle as well as fat in order to keep going.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #15  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

OK, back to the original poster

It does sound like not enough food. Make sure you use your flex points AND your activity points. And aim for higher quality food, more veggies and protein and distributed better throughout the day.

You currently have a tiny breakfast, and a virtually non-existant lunch and then consume the bulk of your calories at dinner

Add more protein to your lunch, and add a small snack am. and pm with protein.

Consider adding weight training to your routine. And while you cant run, you can put in brisker walking intervals occasionally.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote