General chatter - Anyone watching "The Next Food Network Star"?

cbmare
06-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Why did they eliminate 2 people?

I think Rory is going to get on my nerves.

lizziness
06-04-2007, 11:53 PM
crap! I didn't realize it was on so soon. Tivo is great and all, but now I miss commercials I needed to see. :( I'll be watching with you.

techwife
06-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Was anyone surprised to see Nicky go home? I think Colombe is going to go home very soon. I like her, but she seems way too wishy washy to make the cut. I dont' like Jag at all. He seems way too hyper for me. My favorite, I think, is the girl that's been to Paris and the bald guy...the one that came in second for the magazine cover.

cbmare
06-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Rory gets on my nerves. I was surprised to see Nikki get cut. I like Jag. He just gets in there and does it. However, that said, they did comment that his food was too "restauranty". Perhaps he would be better suited on Top Chef instead of Food.

walking2lose
06-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey gals,
I've been watching too... Colombe is the one that bugs me. I agree with the comment about her Sunday that she tries to get by on her cute smile. She just seems to dang passive or something. I do think that the one who's been to Paris is pretty kick butt (now that they told her to stop talking about Paris!), and I like Jag! He gets the job done and is entertaining. I can't imagine the pressure they are under. Fun show to watch... sounds like next week there's going to be some trouble.

Who do you consider the villain of the show? If you watch Top Chef do you remember Marcel? There just doesn't seem to be a Marcel... the one you love to hate.

techwife
06-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Who do you consider the villain of the show? If you watch Top Chef do you remember Marcel? There just doesn't seem to be a Marcel... the one you love to hate.

For me its the gay man. I don't mean to be politically incorrect, but I can't remember is name and its just a descriptor. Anyhow...I LOVED his wedding cake with the two guys on top. But after that, he has become somewhat of a back stabber and a bit of a whiner.

walking2lose
06-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Was he the one that did NOT tell the big Italian guy (not trying to be pol incorrect either, but I can't remember his name either ... lol) that his polenta was being made with chicken broth for the vegetarian wedding?? That was pretty uncool.

SoulBliss
06-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Was he the one that did NOT tell the big Italian guy (not trying to be pol incorrect either, but I can't remember his name either ... lol) that his polenta was being made with chicken broth for the vegetarian wedding?? That was pretty uncool.:mad: That is unacceptable, unethical and unnecessary (not to mention NOT vegetarian at all!!!).

Vegetable broth is just as flavorful and can easily be substituted! I think it is sick to lie to people and I would never trust anyone who would do this.

What's next, feeding Jews and Muslims pork? :mad:

walking2lose
06-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Oh, that would be awful, but he wasn't trying to trick any vegetarians into eating it -- he simply did not think about it when purchasing his ingredients. So, it left his team one dish short for the wedding. It didn't help that his team only spent $800 out of $2400.00 budget - no wonder they ran out of food. That was what really made me start disliking Colombe.

SoulBliss
06-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Oh, :^: that's a relief to know he didn't lie to them.

Still, I am baffled...how could he not think of that, especially when trying to win a challenge? I mean, you have to think outside the box to be able to do these kinds of things!

I would have made it with water or created a tomato-based or other type of broth from scratch (even with a few herbs, garlic and a can of tomatoes, pureed, you can make great polenta!) instead of leaving it out altogether!

walking2lose
06-12-2007, 08:38 PM
I know... really, really dumb. His team made a bunch of mistakes -- I think the biggest was underspending their budget by over $1,000!!! What in the world were they thinking? They could have gone all out, had over the top vegetarian fare, but they skimped and ran out of food very fast. Obviously they lost.

lizziness
06-12-2007, 09:35 PM
finally caught up. i liked the bald guy that got axed in the first episode. Also like
Salmon. I was surprised Nicky got cut, especially since I can't think of a single black woman (or man) that food network has on air right now.
Hubby likes Jag and the heavy set guy (the one that had the chicken broth snafu). I don't like either of them, I think they already have Guy Fieri who won last year and is the same type of character as Jag.

I like Colombe but think she'll be soon to go. Can't stand Rory- not sure why she just rubs me the wrong way. And Salmon's dish would have looked a lot better on the cover of a magazine, imo.

newFannie07
06-12-2007, 11:03 PM
I've been watching too. I cannot stand Colombe. She has to go. It's like she has no brain or something. Her eyes just seem so blank. I really like Adrien. He did really well on the one-minute TV demo. I liked Nicky and the bald guy who got cut. I was surprised. Only thing about Rory that bugs me is her smile. I'm sorry,but it's too big. I know that sounds awful since she can't help her physical characteristics.

Kerri

lizziness
06-13-2007, 11:24 AM
now that you mention it - that may be what rubs me the wrong way too. feels fake.

cbmare
06-13-2007, 12:52 PM
That's what I wanted to say, too. Thank you for saying it for me. Her smile is too "gummy". But she is constantly barking about why something was wrong. They had to tell her to stop. She did better by the end of the episode. But I still don't care for her.

techwife
06-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Well, I liked Colombe in the beginning, but I have to say I'm glad she's gone. She became more like a limp dishrag to watch. And I'm also glad Tony's gone...not because I don't like him, but because he missed his family so much I felt bad for him. I liked him a lot, actually.

Who do you think will go next?

cbmare
06-19-2007, 05:37 PM
I thought what she did about the extra grocery bag was mean spirited. When she left the market she said something about somebody will be missing a bag. Later, she just said she was overwhelmed and didn't know what was happening. I didn't buy that one single bit.

He was in tears as he spoke with his family. I felt for him.

I'm wondering how long Dale will be there.

walking2lose
06-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Yes, I agree that Columbe needed to go. Not cool at all about leaving that grocery bag. Why couldn't she just pick it up or say something??

I also thought her stadium food was the most under-impressive of all -- jarred cheese sauce?

Next week should be interesting... Paul might be on thin ice...

walking2lose
06-27-2007, 12:58 AM
What is it about Mike that makes me feel sorry for him? He has a certain vulnerability to him... he was pretty hurt when he got booted off. What did you think of the deep fried meatloaf?? Funny that they actually liked it!

Hard to believe Rory is still hanging in there. Anyone have preditions for next week?

techwife
06-27-2007, 07:33 AM
I felt bad for Salmon, but I'm starting to actually like all of them. I don't know, though...when you think about it, can you actually see a show with any of them? Maybe Amy, but she doesn't seem like she'd be very unique. :dunno:

Slashnl
06-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Techwife, you said exactly what I've been thinking. I don't think any of them would be good on a TV show. There isn't anything unique in the whole group. It isn't that I dislike them all, but they are really very ordinary. And, none of them seem to really jump out as a great food expert.

athenac
06-27-2007, 02:19 PM
I agree Slashnl. None of them are really engaging to me. I cannot stand "JAG." Adrien reminds of Tyler Florence. Rory reminds of Giada because of her huge smile. Paul and Amy are just too boring. I think that just as long as the winner isn't JAG, I'll be happy.

Minty Fresh
06-28-2007, 09:18 PM
yeah, I don't have any favorites this season either. Last season, I just LOVED Guy. There was something about his personality that was so engaging. Ironically, I admit I don't even watch his show now though.

Slashnl
06-29-2007, 11:35 AM
That's funny, MintyFresh. I was the same way about Guy, but I don't watch his show either!!
Actually, I can't say I've ever watched those two guys that won either. How about you? Are they even on??

athenac
06-29-2007, 03:40 PM
They're early Sunday morning. I didn't want Guy to win, but he has grown on me since. I don't watching his cooking show, but I watch the Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. I like the idea of that.

lizziness
06-30-2007, 11:48 AM
i was disappointed that Salmon left - but he didn't really define himself as much. I am starting to really like Paul at this point. I think that Amy doesn't really have the right personality for TV, and I just don't like Rory, and I agree Adrien reminds me of Tyler Florence - only with less of a personality. Jag isn't my favorite still, hubby likes him a lot, I just think that you can't have someone who runs hot and cold.
Seems like they haven't had to do a lot of the important on-camera, cooking show type challenges that they made people in past shows do. I like this group better than the past two groups - but I also don't want the two guys that won (i have and i think their show sucks, plus it got relegated to the grave yard time slot). I am not a fan of Guy's Big Bite but if nothing else is on, i'll leave it on. I like his Diners show but think he's almost TOO much personality for a show where he has to interact with people. I have the same complaint about some of Rachel Ray's shows though.
Cant wait to see what happens next... it should be interesting.

Lyds
07-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Was anyone as disappointed as I was to see Paul go? MAN. I am kind of like, "whatever" now. They've voted off everyone that I really routed for.

Now it's down to Rory, Jag, & Amy and I can't decide out of those three whom I would want because like some people mentioned, none of them are stand-outs. I can't picture any of them on their own cooking show.

This is my first time tuning in so I can't go on anything that has happened in the past. I do know that I love Guy!

cbmare
07-13-2007, 12:24 PM
I did not like how Rory acted during the Iron Chef part when she was covering the floor.

Jag was just so very depressed by his own cooking.

I think Amy did an outstanding job on the floor.

Slashnl
07-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Not a very colorful group of people left. I don't see that any of them will be dynamic enough for a food show.

Just gotta say that I am looking forward to season 3 of Ace of Cakes. Love that guy and the whole group!!!

Minty Fresh
07-13-2007, 12:46 PM
I sadly have lost complete interest in who wins now that Paul is gone. He was very entertaining.

Personally, I don't see why they keep Rory and Jag around at this point. Dozens of times they mentioned that Jag is too emotional and uncontrollable when it comes to his anger. Rory just bugs the heck out of me.

Amy is fine, but she doesn't have that "ooohhh" factor for me.

What is Ace of Cakes?

newFannie07
07-13-2007, 01:13 PM
I agree....I wanted Paul to stay. Jag bugs me to no end. Every dang intro is Joshua Adam Garcia, the "JAG" coming at you. Makes me want to punch him. Sorry, too violent. Plus I cannot stand any more "latino" food outlooks. He has proven he can't cook for the regular folk, let him go back to "cuisine"
The only one I like now is Amy, but she does not have a WOW factor. Maybe it's hidden somewhere?

walking2lose
07-15-2007, 10:20 PM
Ok, so it's Rory and Jag... wait, no, it's Rory and Amy!!!

What the heck???

I guess none of us are too surprised about Jag - he was hesitant about his personal life and past every step of the way... now we know why! I just cannot stand a liar, but I confess I feel a little sorry for him now. He must be a pretty dysfunctional guy to have made all that stuff up!

I cannot believe Rory and Amy are the finalists... I would never have guessed those two. I must say, Rory did a great job on Rachael. She does have a lot more energy about her than Amy does.

Slashnl
07-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Wow, Claire, what happened on the show? I guess I'll have to find the repeated show. I saw the very first part, but then had to miss the end. Sounds like there was some excitement there.

Not too excited for either one of the finalists. I just don't see that they have "star" quality.

cbmare
07-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Remember the first one? I really liked Dan and Steve, The Hearty Boys. I really enjoyed their show. Hope it comes back.

I have been disappointed with everything they are throwing at Guy. He steps up to the plate and does what they ask, but I think they are giving him the wrong stuff.

Amy and Rory. Who'd a thunk it about Jag? However, Claire is right. He was always so secretative about himself. How did they find out? Did they start doing the investigation after he and Rory became the two finalists?

When they showed the previews of all the people coming back, I didn't see JAG, however, it was just a quick blurb.

Spinymouse
07-16-2007, 12:34 PM
I just voted - for Amy. I really like her. I like her innovative cooking style and I like how she is honest and down to earth. I don't need someone trying to entertain me with their intense personality. I don't have a TV but I have been watching this at a friend's house, and when I got on the food network website to vote, I noticed from the link to Amy's myspace that she doesn't have a tv either! I think that's great. I'm thinking maybe the thing with Jag happened for a reason -- I'm glad that Amy has a shot at this.

techwife
07-16-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm wondering if they filmed him actually winning and then had to call him back with Rory...she said, "So, I got this call to come back to NY". I'm glad...I like Amy and I'm voting for her.

Lyds
07-16-2007, 05:16 PM
I was surprised and not surprised about JAG. I am actually glad he's out of the running, however. He rubbed me the wrong way, too. I wanted Paul to win so I don't care one way or another. I like Amy, but Rory does have a much better "presence".

lizziness
07-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I couldn't stand Rory from the beginning - won't watch her show if she gets one. I loved Paul - but I do think maybe he wasn't quite ready...
My hubby was really disappointed about JAG - but I wasn't surprised and I just felt like he was too unpredictable/tempermental/raw to take direction and do what needs to be done for a show.
I hope Amy wins and will be disappointed if she doesn't...

newFannie07
07-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Boy, what a shocker???!!!!! I have to say I am glad though. I could not stand JAG. He drove me nuts. I couldn't keep up with him. He talked tooooo fast for me. Plus, when he tried to "dumb down" his food, it sucked. I am on the fence now....I used to like Amy much better, but after the Rachael show, I don't know. I liked Rory's style and food much better. I know it was only a couple of dishes, but she seemed more personable to me. I have to decide quick though since we can only vote through tomorrow. Probably Amy since she did seem to be the most consistent throughout the competition.

Kerri

newFannie07
07-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Ok - After voting, I went to JAG's myspace site to check out if he had a response for yesterday's show. OMG. His "song" that starts to play is JAG rapping about HIMSELF. Ok, I didn't listen to the whole song, but my gosh. More reason for me not to like him. (BTW, I didn't like him from day 1).

Kerri

walking2lose
07-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Ha, that's funny, Kerry. I may check that out later if I have time (for the laugh).

Spinymouse
07-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Hey watchers --
I thought the hour long finale show was kind of unimpressive overall, as they seemed to have to dig really hard to find stuff to fill it all up with until reaching the last minute to announce...... AMY! YAY! I am very happy that she won and will look forward to her recipes.

lizziness
07-24-2007, 12:56 AM
YAY!!!! I'm thrilled she won.

also thrilled to have Tivo because there is no way I would have been able to watch an hour of that crap - the finale was terrible. Also - what did Emeril have to do with ANYTHING? Also I was excited in the beginning because Nigella Lawson was in the intro so I thought she'd be participating and she didn't.

techwife
07-24-2007, 06:18 AM
YAY!!!! I'm thrilled she won.

also thrilled to have Tivo because there is no way I would have been able to watch an hour of that crap - the finale was terrible. Also - what did Emeril have to do with ANYTHING? Also I was excited in the beginning because Nigella Lawson was in the intro so I thought she'd be participating and she didn't.

Is Nigella's show good? I'll have to check it out....I never watched it because I couldnt' get past the name, Nigella Feasts....it sounds like a vampire show to me. :dunno:

I was glad Amy won. I think she'll be great when she has her own realistic show and I think she'll have lots to bring to the table for the everyday cook at home. I don't care that she's French, talks about France, etc...Giada is Italian, talks about Italy and everything she does is Italian and nobody seems to mind....so why not France? I think, on the show, they were afraid she would become annoying with it and i agree in that realm, but on her show, I hope she shows us lots of gourmet things that are simple to do in our own kitchens.

lizziness
07-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Yeah I think she had the most potential (out of her and Rory). I will definitely watch her show.

Nigella is great and her other show was called Nigella Bites. ;) I mean it's not really food you can eat every day without gaining 100 lbs... but she's fun to watch and she's very sensual with everything she does. I think she is my favorite of all of the people on food network.

Spinymouse
07-24-2007, 11:42 AM
I like Nigella also; actually the only one on Food Network that I can't stand to watch is that blonde woman who has to have her dress match her curtains and her mixing bowls and who cooks with cool whip and gummy bears.

Suzanne 3FC
07-25-2007, 12:41 AM
Same here, spinymouse! Sandra Lee has a HUGE anti-fanbase, if that's a word lol. I can't figure out why they keep her on the air.

techwife
07-25-2007, 07:15 AM
Sandra Lee wouldn't be so bad if she didn't do the redecorating her kitchen to match her dress thing every episode. I like her enough, but that just drives me nuts. She seems like a Stepford Wife!

lizziness
07-25-2007, 11:14 AM
yes- a bobble headed drunken Stepford wife LMAO

guess I'm an anti-fan.*L*

newFannie07
07-25-2007, 12:06 PM
" a bobble headed drunken Stepford wife " that is hilarious. I can't stand here either. Another anti-fan. Who has time for matching all that crap? I'm lucky if I have time to cook dinner instead of order pizza!!

Kerri