Exercise! - June Biker Chicks Chat

View Full Version : June Biker Chicks Chat

Ilene
06-04-2007, 10:14 AM
:welcome: everyone... Whoa, it's JUNE and biking time for sure... I biked 30k yesterday... No biking today it's raining :tantrum:...

Diva
06-04-2007, 10:23 AM
40 minutes on my bike today. It rained yesterday so the air was cleaner and the breathing was good! WoooHoooo! I love this bike riding thing, but my legs were burning, lol! They feel a bit numb now. :dizzy:

ennay
06-04-2007, 12:18 PM
I did it!!! I finally got out on my bike this morning. Fairly slow, and only 9.9 miles but not bad for a tune up ride. Butt is ok, wrists are complaining.

My knees are in heaven though. All the running and they have been feeling a bit stiff, got on the bike and crack crack crack for 20 yards and then happiness. I forgot how much my knees like the biking "chiropractic adjustment"

Misti in Seattle
06-04-2007, 09:22 PM
LOL and here I am proud of myself for my 8 mile beginner ride! :) However (and a BIG however) the first 4 miles are almost entirely uphill... I never thought I could make it that far going up the hill. I did have to stop and rest a few times. It is a very slight hill, just looooooong and actually goes a lot farther up. But coming back sure is a fun trip! I can really feel those muscles pulling!!

Sue

ennay
06-06-2007, 12:03 PM
OK, I lied, my butt was sore, it just hadnt developed yet.

Welcome Misti! You should be proud of your 8 mile ride. :D

Ilene
06-06-2007, 07:44 PM
We all have to start somewhere Misti... :bravo: for doing 8 miles :yes:

I haven't biked in a couple of days it's been raining like crazy, I miss it :(

I just may buy a stand to be able to bike in the winter time ...

ennay
06-06-2007, 08:27 PM
We have one Ilene, I have to say, even dh who is an avid biker doesnt use it much. Its worse than the treadmill as far as boredom factor.

Diva
06-06-2007, 09:59 PM
OMG! 8 Miles!? I do good to get 30 or 40 minutes in. Dang...I don't know how many miles that is, I think it's about 2 or a lil' more because we calculated the mile in the car and the first day I did the mile in about 15 minutes, but compared to you gal's, I suck. LOL! Guess I'll build up to it...I hope. I love my bike though and I love riding it, even if it is just a little bit each day. :)

Ilene
06-06-2007, 10:12 PM
We have one Ilene, I have to say, even dh who is an avid biker doesnt use it much. Its worse than the treadmill as far as boredom factor.Oh gawd, and you know how I hate the dreadmill :faint:

Misti in Seattle
06-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi everybody... thanks for the welcome! Today I decided to go farther and rode on up the hill -- I knew when I got to the top there was a town center and neat place to just ride around. LOL there was a dead end street with a big hill so I decided to "hit it" and see how far I could get... ha! NOT far but at least I gave it a try. Riding home is soooooo neat almost all downhill! My butt was just getting over being sore from last time, ha!

And Diva, your 30-40 minutes is a great start! My 8 miles... or 12 today... is neat for me because on the way I am riding almost totally up a very slight hill, which flattens out every once in a while to keep me from passing out LOL. But coming BACK is so easy that I almost feel guilty counting it as exercise!! :) Keep on biking! :bike: :bike: :bike:

I have a stationary bike too but agree.... talk about BORING LOL

sarah44
06-06-2007, 11:08 PM
I've been biking back and forth to work, which is only 3 miles each way. But I still feel it, due to hills, generally being out of shape, and the other exercise I'm doing... I'm planning to do some longer rides on the weekends.

Misti in Seattle
06-07-2007, 01:25 AM
That is super, Sarah! A great way to get in some exercise! I wish I could bike to work but it is way too far! Keep up the good work! :bike:

Ilene
06-07-2007, 02:53 PM
12 miles is great Misti :high: ...

Sarah -- Lucky you you can bike to work!!

This morning I did 15k/9.32miles, got caught in the rain at 8k :rain:... But that's ok, the thing that makes me nervous when it rains is the slipperyness, nothing happened though...

The only thing that did happened is that a family of Canada Geese hissed at me because they have about 10 babies and they hate when you ride through them... As I was hurrying to get passed them I stood on my pedals and suddenly got this massive charlie horse in my right calve... Man, it hurt, I had to stop about 20 feet away to rub the knot out!! It still hurts... I'm going to take a hot bath to try and relieve the pain...

boarderchick
06-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi everyone!

I've been riding tues, thurs to work part way and for a longer ride on the weekends. It's been going well! Today I did about 12 k, but very up and downhill so it felt like more. I'm training for a duathlon in Sept!

Happy riding everyone! And a special welcome to Misti/Sue. It's nice to see you around here. You'll beat that hill yet. That can be your goal, and boy will you ever feel good when you do it!

Later, gang.

Misti in Seattle
06-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Thanks Boarderchick, for the welcome! And LOL I don't know about that hill! :) Especially since by the time I get to that BIG hill I have already ridden my bike 5 miles mostly uphill LOL. But it is a fun goal to work toward!

Ilene, great job on the 15k! I love the rain so won't mind riding in it but as you said I do have a concern about it being slippery, especially since I am still a bit wobbly on my bike especially when I start out and uphill LOL.

YP1
06-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Hello everyone. I've finally used my bike! My car needs new brakes, so it was the perfect opportunity for me to do my first commute to work this morning. Going into work it was really easy as it's mainly downhill, coming back it was a LOT harder, but still not too bad and still faster than the bus. THEN when I got home I realised I neeeded to go to the supermarket, cycled there and then back with my shopping (that's a way to reduce the amount of rubbish I buy!).

In total I think I did 14 or 15 miles, which I'm quite pleased with for a first time out. Although I may be buying some padded shorts tomorrow...

Misti in Seattle
06-08-2007, 08:53 PM
That is SUPER, Helen! Way to go! LOL I know what you mean about the padded shorts. :)

baffled111
06-09-2007, 06:46 PM
I've only recently bought myself a bike, and while I've been using it to get around town, I still have been getting my 'real' exercise at the gym. This by way of saying that I am *not* a biker-chick :)

Anyway, I met some people last week (I'm a waitress) who are riding their bikes from the Oregon coast to Maine this summer. How amazing would that be? They gave me the address to their blog so that I can read about their travels. Check it out; I think the reading is giving me a life goal :)

http://tomsride.blogspot.com/

Fun!

sarah44
06-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Wow, Oregon to Maine - that's amazing. I've always wanted to drive cross-country, and haven't even managed to do that yet.

Today I biked along a highway that is closed on summer Sundays for recreational use. There was a great mixture of people, from little little kids to people out for the bike equivalent of a Sunday stroll to some very serious bicyclists whizzing along. The highway is two lanes, though, so there was plenty of room for everyone at their various speeds.

I think I rode about 15 miles - I was glad to test out a longer distance because the triathlon will be 12 miles. I also got a book of day trips in my area that are mostly 25-40 miles, so now that I've gone a longer distance, I'll feel more confident about trying one of them.

Ilene
06-11-2007, 12:55 AM
Oh, to cycle cross country, that must be fun, someday I'd love to do that ...

Today I was only able to get 15k/9miles in, but I also ran 5k this morning....

AlabamaAmy
06-11-2007, 01:53 PM
You ladies are awesome! i bought a bike last summer at Wal-mart for about $50+. I got it mainly for when i go to the lake because people are always walking or biking around the lake. You have to deal with the cars but the speed limit is like 10mph. :) Anyway, it was bought without realizing that we only go to the lake like 5 times a year. LOL! And even then. . . i get down the road. . .maybe a mile and realize how much my legs are angry at me! So i think i can ride 2 miles but that's all. Guess i'm not a biker chick. :( But you gals really inspire me anyway. Of course, i don't have a nice bike or padded shorts or anything like that. But it's really nice to hear your stories. I live in a small town and there just isn't anywhere to ride. The few people i see on bikes are on the 2-lane roads. Passed a biker one morning riding in the middle of the road and wouldn't get over. I got a little ill because i was on my way to work and was in a hurry! I tooted my horn and waved for me to go around. didn't want to scare him but i wanted to make sure he knew i was coming around him (since he was going with the traffic instead of against). We don't really have sidewalks. the road i live on would be perfect riding for me but the people who drive up and down the road scare me to death! They just can't drive! lol! We do have a bike group and they ride LONG distances and one invited me to go with them but considering i can barely go 2 miles and they are riding double digit rides. . . i had to decline the offer. I think it's mostly men anyway. Anyway, just wanted to tell you ladies how much of an inspiration you are.

Amy

YP1
06-11-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm planning to ride into work again tomorrow. I might try coming home the slighly less hilly way though this time! (Also if I go round the other way it's mainly left turns rather than mainly right turns which might be easier).

Ilene
06-11-2007, 07:31 PM
:welcome: Amy, you're a biker chick no matter how much mileage you do, we all had to start somewhere...

Today I did 20k/12miles...

YP1
06-12-2007, 04:42 AM
I made it into work OK. Why did it stop raining just as I got here though? Never mind, I actually quite like cycling and running in the rain.

sarah44
06-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Amy - You are a biker chick! I go just 3 mi at a time most days...

Does anyone use a bike rack? I've been using mine, but I can't find the instructions for it. It has four brackets, two that hook onto the top of the trunk, and two that hook onto the bottom. My two questions are - once I've tightened the straps, do I need to tie them so that they don't loosen? And, there's tons of strap left over once I've tightened. Should I just bind the extra up in a rubber band? These two questions are related, because I've been tying the straps and then wrapping them to get rid of the extra, and it would be much faster to just tighten them and have the extra length already bound up.

Thanks!

YP1
06-12-2007, 02:53 PM
I made it home safely, I definitely prefer the route I tried today. Next biking day is meant to be Thursday, I'm keeping it at two days per week for now.

Misti in Seattle
06-13-2007, 09:33 AM
I agree with Sarah! Anyone biking is a biker chick here! :) It's not about how far we go. LOL even though I usually go about 10 miles I can't begin to keep up with a lot of the chicks here! I am so wobbly when I start off I am sure it is comical, especially on the hills! :)

I don't use a bike rack but have thought about going to Craigslist and looking for one. My bike will fit into the trunk of my car but also I live on a bus route so am planning to pop my bike onto the bus and take it down to the big bike trail we have here. Also I was reading on the Internet and apparently there is a park just down the street from my house with a trail that I had no idea was there... it is kind of "hidden" down a back street. I am going to check it out tonight and see!

Happy biking!

Misti in Seattle
06-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Well, I could not believe it... I took my brand new bike out for the fourth time yesterday... and blew a tire! Had to bring it home on the bus! Then I got on the wrong bus and it only went halfway home so I got off and walked it back about two miles instead of waiting for another bus. Decided it was good exercise! Now I am bikeless again!

But I did ride down to what was supposed to be a bike trail but turned out to be only a walking path... went down a big hill and thought I would end up pushing it back up but I didn't. I was amazed as I rode all the way up the hill!! :bike:

YP1
06-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Sorry to hear that Misti, hope you get it sorted out and back on the road. I did my third bike commute to work, why is it that every day I've got scheduled to cycle in it pours with rain? I don't normally mind exercising in the rain, but it's getting a bit repetitive now! Today I was a bit naughty and went for free drinks with work before cycling back, but I was careful to make sure that I didn't end up too wobbly, and I suppose cycling was a good reason not to do my normal "just one" then wobble out of the pub four hours later routine...

I've done my two cycling days for the week now. Two is my target at the moment, but next week I might do three if I feel OK on Friday. And if it's not raining ;)

Misti in Seattle
06-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Good for you, Helen, for biking to work! Hope all the rest of you are getting in some biking!

I am back in business! Took the bike in and obviously I had hit glass or something as there was a big gash through the tire and tube. LOL had to replace both after having ridden the new bike a week but hey, that's life. I bought it to ride, and ride it I shall... new tire here and there or what. :bike: Actually it was only $22 total so that was not bad. I just got back from a 78 minute ride. Wow felt good to be out there again! :)

I could not believe... when I got it out of REI I decided since it was already in the car to go to the bike trail. Got down there, got it out and duh.. helmet at home! So back into the car, came home and just rode my usual route with some side jags.

Blessings to all
Sue

YP1
06-17-2007, 02:19 PM
I've been out for two half hour or so "fun" rides today. The first I just went round the park on my way to get the newspaper this morning rather than straight to the shop and back, then it turned into quite a nice evening so I decided to head out for another shortish one. I did about half an hour each time, although I didn't time them or work out how long they were. I am trying to hit some of the nasty hills in the park to get some practice on them, I'm really not a hill fan at all, but at least I haven't yet come across anything that I need to walk the bike up, I remember when I used to cycle as a kid there used to be plenty of those!

Misti in Seattle
06-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Way to go, Helen! Those were great rides! I'm not a hill fan either but living i the Pacific NW they are definitely a part of life. :) That was one nice thing about Fort Lauderdale when I lived there... FLAT and easy bike riding!! :bike:

sarah44
06-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi all -

The weather is absolutely beautiful here, but I can't bike, because of my back. :cry:

Things are getting better, but essentially I overdid it last weekend, and by Wednesday night I was having trouble standing up straight and felt as though my back was close to going into spasms. This was very scary, because last summer I threw my back out and had a couple of episodes of spasms that left me pretty much immobilized for the rest of the summer and into the fall. So I took muscle relaxants and took off Thursday and Friday completely. The good news is that my careful balance of aleve, ice, rest and gentle, gentle movement and short walks seems to be working.

But I'm going to have to take some time off from vigorous exercise, and I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to bike again or whether I'll be able to train for the triathlon that I'd planned to do in five weeks. I'd already found another triathlon in mid-September, though, so I'm thinking that if I can't do it by the end of July, that maybe I could work towards doing that one, either by myself or as part of a relay team.... And I think that I'll try to get a referral to a physical therapist for some information about how I can strengthen my back and better protect myself from these injuries.

It's good to have a long term plan, but for right now I feel frustrated and disappointed, because I was so happy :) to be biking regularly again.

Misti in Seattle
06-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Sarah I am sorry about your injuries -- I know you must be disappointed! Hope you are feeling better soon and find the medical care you need!

Ilene
06-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Sorry to hear of your injury Sarah :hug: get well soon!!

I was reading my bicycle odometer last night and sine Mid-May
I've biked over 600k :D... I'm so proud of myself ...

Today I biked 16k, yesterday it was 30k...

YP1
06-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Hmm... decision time. So far I've been doing 2 bike commutes per week. It's not hard (5 miles each way), and the new muscles are getting used to it. I'm wondering whether it's time to start adding in extra commutes on running club nights. It would be a bit more mileage - 5 to work, 3 from work to running club and then about 4 from there to home after the run. It would also involve running and cycling on the same day, but I did that today for a 10k run without any noticeable ill effects. There's a nasty hill between running club and home though, which would be right at the end of the day after the run...

(Although on the plus side, a quick transition from bike to run would be good triathlon training ;) )

Ilene
06-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Helen -- Try it out a couple of times and see if you like it... I love biking and running on the same days, sometimes back to back too...

Today I didn't bike nor run... I weight trained...

YP1
06-25-2007, 04:40 AM
I've brought the bike in today to try it. Unfortunately the weather is absolutely foul. But then if I'm going to get wet running anyway, getting wet for a bit longer on the bike before and after isn't going to make too much difference...

Misti in Seattle
06-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Good point, Helen! Personally I love the rain but with biking one does to be very cautious as it could be slick. Can't wait to hear how the bike works for you

boarderchick
06-26-2007, 02:13 AM
Hi all--

Helen-sounds like a good plan to run and bike in the same day. Great triathlon training! Nothing like a brick workout...

Misti-How is riding working for you? Conquer that hill yet?

Well, I've spent last weekend riding cross country at Whistler. With my 8 year old son! I just got him a new Giant hardtail, and he's loving it. We did some fairly technical trails (blues). Very fun. Plan is for more riding next weekend.

Misti in Seattle
06-26-2007, 02:20 AM
Hello everyone. Wow boarderchick sounds like you are really a RIDER!! :bike: Good job!

I haven't tried the hill again as instead I decided on Saturday to ride way on up to another intersection... but whew it was more hills all the way! I had to push twice LOL but that is not so bad! :)

YP1
06-26-2007, 04:44 AM
I didn't just bike and run, I swam as well :carrot: I was absolutely worn out by the end of the day though!

Slight problem, my bike fell over when I got home last night and the chain came off. I've managed to get it back on, but the gears don't seem to be changing properly and it was making a really funny noise when I cycled in this morning. It think I might be paying a visit to the bike shop at the weekend if a bit more fiddling with it before I try to ride home doesn't pay off.

Misti in Seattle
06-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Oh wow one of THOSE types of marathons! No wonder you were exhausted!

Hope you get your bike fixed up!

NinaV
06-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Ladies, I hope I came to the right place. I am new to the whole bicycling thing. I have lost nearly 40 pounds without exercise, but now I am a bit stalled. So I figured I am ready to add some exercise. My DH is an avid biker, so he suggested I try the bicycle. I was having a really bad day at work yesterday and was really tempted to comfort my self with food. So instead we (DH & I) went and bought me a bike.

Itís a cross/hybrid, or whatís called a city bike (faster than a mountain bike, more comfortable than a road bike), and it feels pretty comfy. I will try to insert a picture, hopefully it works. The plan is that he can go on his long and fast rides alone, but few times a week he will go with me on about 1 hr (eventually, after I build up to it) rides however fast I can manage.
http://bicyclerenaissance.com/images/library/large/jamis_citizen1l_cu_07_m.jpg

I hope you ladies can give me whatever recommendations, suggestions you have. My DH can help some, but he is a boy and is now about 100 pounds lighter than he was before he got in to it, so he may not think of it the same way as a girl would.

YP1
06-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Hmm, the gears are still a bit funny. It seems to be a case of randomly pushing levers until it gets into the gear you want without being clicky, but once it's there it's fine. I managed my fastest cycle home with a bag (I once did it faster without the extra weight) so it can't be affecting it too much), it just sounds noisier than it should and I don't want to do any permanent damage.

I had my first biker conversation today when another cyclist asked me what I thought of my bike as we were stopped at some lights, because he was thinking of getting one from the same shop.

Ilene
06-27-2007, 12:00 AM
NinaV :welcome: and that sure is a pretty bike... If you like it and you've comfortable on it that's what's important...

Misti -- keep tackling those hills eventually you WILL conquer them...

Helen -- get your bike checked... my chain often falls and is always very easy to get back on with no problem... hope it's nothing serious...

I haven't biked in a few days I've been working 10 hour days and I'm not used to that :lol: tomorrow should be the last long day... I haven't gone in the evenings because the humidex is so high ...

Later all...

Misti in Seattle
06-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Hi everybody

Nina, what a beautiful bike! Hope you enjoy it!

Helen, sounds as if you may need to take your bike in... hope you get it in good shape soon!

And LOL Ilene... I don't think I will EVER conquer all these Seattle hills but I am besting SOME of them anyway! :) I know what you mean about the long days... with my commute mine are 11 hours so it is hard to get out there in the evenings!

NightengaleShane
06-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi everyone -

I haven't posted in this thread before, but I love riding my bike and do it every day, so I figured I should say hi! :D

Currently, I own a mountain bike - nothing special. I've gotten more and more into cycling lately, and want to either get a road bike or a BMX bike. Very different, I know, but both have their advantages: both are light weight and much more general fun than regular ol' mountain bikes. Road bikes can go extremely fast, with their aerodynamic posture and large wheels, and BMX bikes... well... when I was younger, I was into doing neat tricks and I think it would be fun to get back into it.

Here's what I wonder:
how fast can BMX bikes really go? I know I can get to about 32 MPH (flat surface) on a mountain bike - I measured it with one of those digital signs they have at construction zones for cars to make sure that they don't go over the speed limit, and I know on a road bike, I could probably hit 45+ - on average, I ride around 15-20 MPH on my mountain bike ...I wonder if a BMX bike will go that fast with the moderate amount of effort that I normally put in, or if I'd have to work twice as hard to achieve the same speed?

Misti in Seattle
06-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Hi Shane and :welcome: So glad you decided to post!

Wow I sure won't be the one to answer your questions! :) You sound like quite a biker. :bike: I've only had mine a couple of weeks and had not ridden in years so I am doing well to pound my way 10 or 12 miles although it IS almost all up hill going. :)

Hope to see more of you in here!

Sue

Ilene
06-28-2007, 01:37 AM
Hi Shane :wave: ... So sorry I can't help with your question either I just wanted to welcome you...

NightengaleShane
06-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Ilene and Misti! :D

Misti: going uphill on a bike is great exercise... but what about downhill? ;) Most of the time, once you climb uphill, there's a certain peak you reach in which you get to go down... going down is the best part.

YP1
06-28-2007, 04:21 PM
My problem is that my ride to work is nearly all downhill, then I spend the day dreading riding back up it again! Still, at least it persuades me to take the bike in the morning because I think it isn't that hard and conveniently forget the ride home...

I managed 3 days this week for the first time. I'm trying to decide whether to ride in tomorrow or not, I might just get the bus because I need to buy a day ticket later in the day for a night out, so may as well use it for work too I suppose and have a bit of a rest day from biking.

Misti in Seattle
06-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Oh for sure, Shane! That is what is neat about the place I usually ride. The opposite of Helen's... my ride is about 5 miles almost all uphill. But wow what a ride coming home! :) Can't get complacent though as LOL I still have to keep control of the thing! :bike:

NightengaleShane
06-29-2007, 06:50 AM
My ride to work is pretty balanced - lots of going uphill AND going downhill, though the ride home just FEELS so much faster, because I'm always dreading *going* to work and looking forward to being home. It's a 9.5 mile ride - sometimes, I don't know how I even do it. It felt SO long at first, and my legs were always sore, but I knew that since I work ten-hour days (4 days a week), I probably wouldn't get exercise any other way. Plus, for those of us who bike to work, we get exercise in the morning AND in the evening - great stuff. :)

Misti in Seattle
06-29-2007, 09:05 AM
That's a great plan! I would love to bike to work but it is way too far. So I walk on my breaks and lunch and do my biking or water aerobics, whatever, afterwards. It is kind of tough since with my commute I work 11 hour days but hey ya do what ya gotta do! :)

horsey
06-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I have a new bike too, a hybrid, not expensive but did my first ride last night. I used to bike a lot back in college and haven't since. I suppose I kept seeing the pictures of skinny Kate Hudson in magazine's riding her bike, and it reminded me of how much I used to enjoy riding bikes. In this town there are some nice trails, one follows a river and has some hills. I saw on amazon that they make such a thing to attach a child's bike to the back of an adult bike, so if my three year old gets tired I could do this. He had me up at 7 am this am, Sat, as he was so thrilled about his new "racing" bike. This bike is for four year olds but he's almost a year advanced so he's very happy and proud. I even "counted" walking with him riding his bike as a little exercise this am. But I'm looking forward to some daycare too when I can really cruise. I have too thin of legs and a heavy upper body so I'm thinking I could build some leg muscle doing hills and burn fat. It's just such a pretty time of year too.

Misti in Seattle
06-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi Horsey... sounds like fun with you and your son! And like you, I have skinny legs and heavy upper body too so not so concerned about getting weight off my legs but building strength and the bike sure seems to be doing it. :)

horsey
06-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Misti, do you ride up hills for this? You are 5'9 like me... this top heavy figure is odd, it's only since I gained weight but I think my shoulders have always been a little big. I've been losing weight - just 7 lbs but a start - and my legs have gotten skinnier. I read once you lose weight in the reverse order that you gained it so if I gained any in my legs it's first to go, but I think I've lost some muscle too. Does biking work the calves too? I think I need to find some mountains to hike as well, best shape my legs were in was when I went to college in the most insanely hilly campus in California. I had muscle and toning. I rode bike too a lot.

horsey
06-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Can anyone tell me, those little computers at stores that measure mileage and fat burned - that you put on bikes, do they work? And what brand? Saw a few at Target and online. Since I'm being a bit obsessive these days it would be nice to know distance and calories at least.

Misti in Seattle
06-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi Horsey... well no, actually I ride up hills because I live in Seattle and if I go anywhere there are hills. :) No way to get anywhere without going up and down hills. And I would think it would work most all the leg muscles but haven't really studied up on it. I also do a lot of hard water aerobics -- not just calisthenics type but with weights and underwater and stuff -- as well as a lot of walking and also working with free weights.

horsey
06-30-2007, 09:18 PM
How did you learn water aerobics with weights? That's something I could do with my little boy while he swims as he loves swimming. Does that tone your legs? I'm going to try this new Jari Love dvd I bought, she does major strength training on it, I like to lift heavy on my legs and I'm reading if you are top heavy to go for more reps and less weight on top. You don't post your weight or loss? Have you been losing? What do you think is ideal for 5'9 anyways? I was thinking/dreaming of my old college weight of 125 but there's no way that's realistic, so really at 150-55 I felt really good - somehow I blimped up to 180 almost this past year but I'm down to 173 and even that feels better. I'm just thinking cycling might really help do the trick since it'll work my skinny little legs.

Misti in Seattle
07-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Hi Horsey... actually I just bought the water weights and make up all my own exercises as well as checking here in the threads for ideas and also searching on the Internet. I only have the hand ones (plus regular walking leg weights) but did use the leg ones some at the public pool this past winter. And yes, I do all kinds of exercises so it tones my body all over.

And I agree that for top heavy (which I am also) less weight and more reps. I never use more than 5 pound weights and on the machines usually keep it at 20-30 pounds, except 50-60 on the leg pushes.

As for what looks good at 5'9" I guess it depends on your body type. On me 180 starts to look pretty thin and 170 is downright skinny if I am toned.

I used to post my weight and loss but got to where I would rather just keep an Excel database personally of my exercise totals and weight loss, etc. But yes I did lose another 7 pounds in June and hope/plan to keep it up. I have been working out so hard I think right now I am building muscle so the last couple weeks am battling the same three pounds over and over, grrrrr. :) But I'll get them, yes I will! :)

horsey
07-02-2007, 03:21 PM
I was down to 155 before and it was skinny as I didn't tone my legs etc enough. I gained again so this time I'm concentraing more on weights. I've been lifting 8 lbs on my arms and I'm starting to like them and won't increase weight I don't think but I'm about to majorly increase on my legs, especially squats and such. Put on shorts and looked like pencil legs, I think I lost fat there with weight loss and now I desperately need muscle. I'm not sure what my ideal weight would be if I muscled up some. I think it might be around 155-160 but not the 135 I used to be way back when. But I feel best at size 10 whatever my weight and right now I'm size 12 in pants and large or xl on tops. What's your weight now?

YP1
07-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Hello, I had a couple of good rides today. Normally my commute to work is about 5 miles each way, but today I decided to go a longer route. On the way there I did just over 12.5 miles, and on the way back I did 8 miles. Still not huge distances, but I was still proud of myself because I did it in pouring rain when the easiest thing might have been the shortest route . But actually I quite like exercising in the rain, and it didn't take too much longer than my normal route - and the way to work was a lot nicer, I ended up on a traffic free path alongside the canal which is far nicer than battling with buses and traffic lights. Unfortunately the longer route home didn't seem to make it any less hilly!