Does it Work? - Fit flops ? (UK girls help us out here)

nelie
06-03-2007, 10:56 AM
http://www.thefitflop.com/faq/index.php

Has anyone heard of these or seen them?

I was just curious, how are they supposed to work?

Apparently they are pretty popular in the UK

jtammy
06-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Reminds me of a shoe that used to be advertised in all of the teen magazines when I was a teenager. It claimed to do the same sort of thing. I never tried it but always wondered if it worked. What were they called? I can't believe I can't remember, they were advertised very heavily in things like "seventeen". Of course this was more than 20 years ago....

nelie
06-03-2007, 11:39 AM
I was thinking this might be the same "technology" in the Nike barefoot runners? Maybe not.

Here is something crazy, I looked up the price in the UK, it is 36 pounds which translates to 71 US dollars. In the US, the fit flops are going for 39 dollars. I thought 39 dollars was a crazy price!

cora150892
06-03-2007, 12:08 PM
It looks just like a flip flop (and I no thats why its called fit flop) ansd running in something like that is terrable not to menshion your ankles have no suport.
It looks horrible Im thank-full that I have never seen it.
Cora

nelie
06-03-2007, 12:49 PM
It actually isn't made for running, walking only. They even say you should only use it for your daily activities, no hiking and no major hill walking.

Summersweety
06-04-2007, 03:52 PM
I saw a pair of Reef flip flops with a bottle opener in the bottom. I think I'll stick with those!!!

lynna
06-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Got mine today. They are very well made. They are true to size and VERY comfortable. However you knew there would be an "however" right? IF you decide to purchase these FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. I did NOT and now my legs are screaming in pain. When they say 15 min at a time till you get used to them they are not kidding.
These things are in such demand that they are now sold out at the Bath and Bodyworks. They are going as high as 90 on Ebay. I only paid 39.95 for mine and they WILL be coming back to the USA in July at another store called Bliss.
I also own shoes called metatreks that have weighted soles. I have more soreness after wearing this lightweight Fit Flop then when wearing the 3 lbs apiece Metatreks.
I will continue to wear these and will post an update later.

nelie
06-08-2007, 12:41 AM
Do the fitflops have weighted soles? Where are you sore?

lynna
06-08-2007, 12:56 AM
No the soles are not weighted. The soreness is mostly in the backs of upper and lower legs. I don't currently have any soreness in the front but there is always Friday VBG.It kinda feels like a Keds sandal.It feels really good on the soles of your feet is light weight and made MUCH better then a plain old pair of flip flops.The footbed is cushy rubber and the sole is a harder rubber.I used to push a weight stack of over 500 lbs with my legs. My legs feel MORE worked in these things from simply walking around. I am quite impressed.

LeighHop
06-21-2007, 04:33 PM
If you're still out there, Lynna: how are you feeling about the Fit Flops after a couple of weeks trying them out? I've got a pair on order through Bliss spa and am anxious to get them. They are going for CRAZY prices on eBay right now, but I'm trying to be very patient.

Goodbye Chubby
06-25-2007, 05:55 PM
I can't seem to understand how these can build muscle or provide any other benefit. When I wear my 4" heels to work all day after having not worn them for a while (like today), sure, I can feel soreness the next day, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm getting a workout...or does it?

The only thing I can see is that if the foot is being positioned differently, you might be using different muscles when walking. Other than that, it just sounds like a gimmick. Plus, if someone works up to wearing them all day, they aren't really formal enough to wear to certain jobs, and therefore not practical.

sportmom
06-25-2007, 11:43 PM
Tammy -- Dr. Scholl's sandals? They were supposed to work your calves. All they seemed to do for me was kill the underside of my foot when they slipped and the ends slammed into my arches! lol

jtammy
06-26-2007, 12:49 AM
I don't think so. This was probably prior to the Dr. Scholls. Maybe it was Candy Shoes and they were a type of clogs. I can't believe I can't remember it..... But they probably worked as well as the Dr. Scholls that you tried. ;)

LeighHop
06-26-2007, 01:00 PM
I can't seem to understand how these can build muscle or provide any other benefit. When I wear my 4" heels to work all day after having not worn them for a while (like today), sure, I can feel soreness the next day, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm getting a workout...or does it?

The only thing I can see is that if the foot is being positioned differently, you might be using different muscles when walking. Other than that, it just sounds like a gimmick. Plus, if someone works up to wearing them all day, they aren't really formal enough to wear to certain jobs, and therefore not practical.

I actually do think wearing heels tones up your calves. That's pretty much what I attribute my rock-hard lower legs to. I'm sort of thinking that repositioning you were talking about is how these things supposedly work your butt and thigh area. I'm a lucky soul who gets to work from home so I plan on wearing them a lot and reporting back. Hey, even if it is a gimmick I've still got a pair of flip flops for the pool, even if they are on the pricey side.

lynna
07-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Sorry I have been away for awhile. My butt now "LOOKS" like a butt. It used to be like a pancake. I have went down a pant size and my legs WOW. Now don't get me wrong I am still a big girl but people men and women have been telling me I have nice legs.I had started to get those yucky fat deposits under the skin in my legs yes the dreaded "C" word. They are now much smoother.
I feel it was money well spent and feel this could be something that could help type 2 diabetics finally tone down their lower body. These shoes make NO claim that they work your stomach muscles but I could feel this in MY stomach muscles and have went down a size with NO dieting.If a person already has great legs I probably wouldnt bother but for someone out of shape like myself they have been great.Dont forget these also work the behind muscles.

LeighHop
07-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Lynna -

Thanks so much for the update! I was starting to get a little bummed out with the long wait, but now I'm excited again. I have no trouble toning my upper body, but my upper legs are like tree trunks. I'm really hoping these help and am so glad to here about your new booty!

ShelleyM
07-03-2007, 06:37 AM
I think I'll give them a try also. They sound more comfortable than the old wooden Dr. Scholls that never did anything for your legs. I just ordered them from bliss spa. The red ones were the only ones they had, so I'm getting them. I hope they fit. I normally wear 7 1/2 and it says to go up 1/2, but I got 7's instead, since I wear 7 in flip flop type sandals. I heard someone else say if they are too big, the top is uncomfortable. Should be interesting. Thanks for suggesting things on the other thread, Leigh!

LeighHop
07-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Hey Shelly!

Glad you found this thread. I think you should be just fine ordering down. I was reading some reviews on Bath and Bodyworks and people were saying that you actually should order down, not up like the Bliss site said.

lynna
07-03-2007, 04:02 PM
I wear between a 7 1/2 to 8 shoe. I ordered the 8 and feel I could have taken a 7.

ShelleyM
07-03-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm really bummed. I got an email from Bliss saying they are backordered until 8/10/07...just like all the others. Oh well, they'll be a surprise when they come in!

lynna
07-03-2007, 05:33 PM
HURRY and get to bath and bodyworks TODAY the red ones are in NOW!!! I ordered mine online they shipped out today.

ShelleyM
07-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Lynna-Thanks! I ordered the black and they are supposed to be in stock. I hope they work, because I'll have 2 pair, once the Bliss ones come!

ShelleyM
07-04-2007, 10:23 AM
I just received an email saying the black ones are to ship 8/10/07. Now I have 2 pair coming in Aug. Oh well, maybe one will come earlier!

lynna
07-05-2007, 01:56 AM
The red ones are cute and you can order them now at bath and body workd. Please follow their advice and do NOT wear them longer then 15 min at a time till you get used to them. The pain was intense that ya don't want.

LeighHop
07-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Well, ladies. I got my blue Bliss fit flops on Friday and have been wearing them out and about as well as around the house. I definitely think they have a toning effect. I work from home, so I have been pretty much wearing them all day. The tops of my legs on the sides and back are really looking better. This has always been my huge problem area, even when I was at 115. I do a lot of exercise involving my legs, but these shoes are targeting that cellulite that drives me nuts!

I would definitely recomend them!

BlessedBe
07-18-2007, 05:12 PM
If I only wore them for the 15 minutes at first, could I use these when I do DDR? I don't get out to walk much, since it's really humid lately. So I was wondering if these would work for 10-15 minutes of DDR. I'm only on level 2(basic) of the game, so it's not too high impact yet. If I was doing level 4(expert) I doubt I could. :p But I was just wondering if these would work for that.

ShelleyM
07-19-2007, 06:41 AM
Leighhop-How long ago did you order? I'm so jealous! Nothing happening with my order yet.

Blessed-What is DDR?

BlessedBe
07-19-2007, 02:01 PM
ShelleyM - DDR is Dance Dance Revolution, a dancing game.

LeighHop
07-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Shelley -

I ordered from Bliss mid-June. I was looking on their website last week and they didn't have them anymore. I'm sure they will fill all current orders, I just found it strange.

Blessed -

I don't know anything about DDR, but if you could do it in regular flip flops, I don't see any reason why you couldn't do in Fit Flops.

ShootingStar
07-28-2007, 03:16 PM
These sound intriguing, but I refuse to give up my beloved Crocs for anything :P

lynna
07-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Please DON"T do DDR in these. It would be way to easy to twist your ankel. Also these have slipped off my foot at times just by simply walking. There IS a shoe called an Earth shoe that could help you ramp up your workout. They are quite expensive but you can get them from overstock or sierratrading post. The forefoot of Earth shoes set slightly higher then the heel. I am speaking of the sneaker version only.

eander5696
08-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi Guys, Ive seen these online at BBW but does anyone know of anywhere thats not backlogged who is selling them online?

Also, for anyone who owns a pair, I have small feet, and wear a 7 in most nikes and flip flops. Are these true to size (so many differing websites) should I order size 7 or 6?

Thanks much!

ShelleyM
08-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Has anyone that has pre-ordered from Bath and Body or Bliss have any news on them? I asked both of them and they said the shoes are being delayed until 8/20. That really stinks!

KO
08-14-2007, 11:35 AM
I have a disability, does anyone know if they are suitable for those with not great balance?

ShelleyM
08-15-2007, 06:48 AM
I don't know about the balance thing, but I just noticed that Bliss is going to take the money from my account today, so they must be getting ready to ship! Yay!!

BlessedBe
08-18-2007, 01:54 AM
I got mine today from Bath and Body!! I didn't think they'd come until next week, but I thought the company was on the west coast. Turns out they came from Kentucky. Lucky break. I wore them for about 20 minutes today. i could feel the muscles in the back of my thighs working. Wish I could wear them more, but I saw you can't until you get used to them. :p How long was that again?

ShelleyM
08-18-2007, 08:19 AM
I can't wait! I got the notification from both Bliss and Bath and Body!! My problem is now, I will be back at work and can't wear them because I have to dress up.

eander5696
08-19-2007, 12:49 AM
I got mine last Wed, and have worn them everyday since, all day long.

The only thing Ive noticed is that the pain in my ankle is subsiding, these have great cushioning and support. If nothing, they are a great pair of supportive flip flops, too bad I only have one pair of these and about 15 of the flat rubber ones!

I recommend these shoes, if you are like me, and have foot or ankle pain from wearing our summer shoes that just dont have the support we need.

They are super comfy. I wear a 7 in Nike's and can sometimes fit into a 6.5 in dress shoes, and the 7 in fitflops works perfectly.

good luck everyone

eander5696
08-20-2007, 12:54 AM
So apparently, when I posted that I didnt notice any soreness, I wasn't walking in these enough.I spent a lot of time at target today, and the grocery store, and I can tell you, my calves and shins are waaaaaaaaaaay sore.Im sure Ill feel it even more in the morning.With my back problems, at least its good to know this might help my posture.

ShelleyM
08-22-2007, 06:48 AM
I got mine yesterday and love them. Not sure on whether they work for shaping, but they do feel great. I wish I was able to wear them to work. I still have a black pair coming.

laurie2275
08-23-2007, 03:05 PM
I just ordered these am sooo excited to try them. Will keep them on for 15 min the first day. How quickly did you all progress your times with these?

ShelleyM
08-26-2007, 06:38 AM
I wear mine all day (not to work though.) They are the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. I now have my black ones also.

laurie2275
08-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Are you noticing anything yet? Does it work?

I got mine Friday and wore them for about 30 mins and at night my ankle was a little swollen but was not really what I would call painful. I also could feel something in my calves.

Yesterday, I pretty much wore them all day. I wear a pedometer so I did 7K steps all day. I didnt feel any pain at night but am I crazy or am I feeling something in the back of my thighs? I wouldnt say a burn or pain but like a need to flex (like a do after a lot of weights on my arms). Just a twitch or something. Still too early to tell is they "work" but I am thinking that they are doing something. I also feel like its like walking on the beach barefoot.

ShelleyM
08-26-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm not noticing anything, but I am an avid bike rider, so I don't know if I would feel anything or not, since my legs are always getting a good workout from that.

lynna
09-05-2007, 11:40 PM
I wore them all day well 7 hours to Busche Gardens last week. All I can say is OUCH!!!

Azure
09-06-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm not sure if my legs were sore the next day because I tripped and fell while wearing them or if it was because they actually worked my muscles ;) I didn't notice any particular muscle soreness, but I must say that they are VERY comfy flip flops. Worth the $20 I paid for them at BBW :) (They've got a promotional going on--buy $30 worth of merchandise and get the FitFlops for $20 instead of the usual $39).

ShelleyM
09-07-2007, 06:46 AM
I agree, they are the most comfy flip flops I have ever worn. Especially since I have toe problems. What a deal at $20!

Amy8888
09-13-2007, 02:55 PM
This thread is so bad for me! I impulse-ordered a pair yesterday. I was torn between ordering my size (8) or the smaller size, and I went with the smaller size because it was in stock! I'm justifying the purchase with the fact that I'm having bunion surgery in a few weeks, so flip-flops should be more comfortable than closed-toe shoes, right? (After I get through the initial surgery recovery, of course). I can't wait to try them out for myself!

Amy8888
09-28-2007, 05:42 PM
OK, I got mine a week ago and I must say, I love them! They really are comfortable. Now after work, I put these on instead of socks. I really thought I would HATE the thong but it hasn't bugged me too much. A little irritation at first, but I've gotten over that. The padding is so thick and generous, it really cushions every step. I bought a size 7, and usually wear 8-8.5, and these fit just right.

As far as the fitness claims, I can't say too much. Since they're so comfortable, I feel like I can walk a lot farther than in other shoes, even walking shoes! I did notice some vague achiness in my hips after wearing them while doing all my grocery shopping for the week, but my legs weren't sore the next day or anything. So I can say, if you're looking for an awesome comfortable shoe, go for it!

ShelleyM
10-04-2007, 06:46 AM
I've been wearing both of mine constantly at home. I don't really think they do anything for my legs, but they are so comfortable. My podiatrist says they have great support. I also have a bunion.

imknight3d
10-24-2007, 04:24 PM
This is in response to:

Reminds me of a shoe that used to be advertised in all of the teen magazines when I was a teenager. It claimed to do the same sort of thing. I never tried it but always wondered if it worked. What were they called? I can't believe I can't remember, they were advertised very heavily in things like "seventeen". Of course this was more than 20 years ago....

I believe the shoes you are referring to are EARTH shoes they have been around since the 70's. I own about 3 pairs of the sandal versions and am amazed at how they align my body and raise my heart rate. Definitely feel it in my legs after I wear them. They are alot pricier than the FitFlops, most are in the $100 range but they offer a large variety of styles including athletic footware. I bought them to help with my back problems and have worked wonders.

earth.us is their site.

This is an exert from their site:

What makes EARTH shoes different?

Earth shoes feature Negative Heel® technology invented by Danish Yoga instructor, Anne Kalso®. Anne Kalso discovered that positioning the heels below the toes naturally aligns the body, just like the Yoga Mountain pose. This position allows your pelvis and spine to align, your shoulders to roll back, ultimately improving your posture. Many Earth wearers tell us that their back pain has disappeared, foot pain is gone, and their breathing has improved, and they look as good as they feel.

Jilltapshoes
03-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I am about to buy a pair of these shoes and have found all your comments really helpfull. You are so lucky in the US the fit flops here cost £36.00 GBP which is approximatley $70.00. I shall buy a pair here and if they do what they say then when we come over in July I shall buy a few pairs and bring them back!:)

ShelleyM
03-12-2008, 06:37 AM
Fit flops are the most comfortable shoes I own. I have them in 4 colors now. Of course, I can only wear them outside of work, but I have bronze, red, black and silver. I don't think they exercise anything, but they are terrific feeling!

emmaukgrl
03-15-2008, 05:13 PM
I beleive that these shoes were trialled on the uk programme 'supersize vs superskinny'. They were trialled by a group of women of all shapes and sizes and although I cant remember the exact numbers they ALL lost inches from around their bottoms!

Jilltapshoes
03-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Well I sourced these shoes and finallly managed to buy, though at £36.00 they are not cheap. So far I haveen't noticed any pain in my legs and I have stuck to 15 per day, although the weather here at the moment is rubbish. Very cold and wet I have no doubt that I shall use them more when it gets warmer. they are very comfortable though and definatley a true fit.

regards

jill:)

BubblyGoodness
03-22-2008, 12:11 PM
I saw these in a magazine a little while ago and I must say that everything I have heard is very positive. I found a local store that carries them, I think I may have to go try them out.