Exercise! - Cool Runners - June

View Full Version : Cool Runners - June

NavyWifeDee
06-02-2007, 02:50 AM
Hope no one minds that I started the June thread! I ran a mile tonight (technically, last night as it's after midnight). It was the first time I've ever run on a treadmill for more than a minute or so. Wow... my feet love me, and it was so interesting to have some variation of incline instead of Key West flat, flat roads. I ran on Random at level 2, and just went with a slow pace for my first time, but that was fun too, cuz I didn't have to consciously think about keeping the pace steady, just set it and forget it.. Loved it. Hope you all are having a great beginning to June!

Dee

royalsfan1
06-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Just finished week one of the C25K! Can't wait to start Week 2 on Tuesday! I feel ready for it because today was the easiest so far. I did get tired but not until my very last run cycle....as opposed to clock watching after 15 seconds into the first run cycle like I did on Day 1! :D

NavyWifeDee
06-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Way to go Tricia! I wish I could have done C25K, but my feet just won't take the walking. If I walk just a bit, other than normal walking around the house, etc.. my heel spurs kill me. I've gotten up to running 5k at times, but was lazy last week and having to start small again this week.

staciec878
06-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi Yall!!!
I see yall were talking about to couch25k, OMg!!! I Love it, Im only on my 2nd workout, But it feels so good, and I really feel like I can do it. Before when I tryed to run, I would try to do it all at once, and get discouraged. I cant wait till tomm.!!! Good luck!!!

ennay
06-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Great Job you 3

Pretty nice run today, saw deer and a hawk almost took off my hat.

LisaMarie71
06-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Yay for all the C25K folks! :)

I believe the gods have been conspiring against me lately and keeping me from running, but I did it today anyway...in lots and lots of rain!

Thursday (in TWO attempts) I had the growling dog and the toenail issue, along with the heat. Friday I couldn't run because I had to go to graduation straight after school. Yesterday I didn't have time to run because I went to the state track meet with my husband. He only had a few runners competing, but we stayed ALL day, and it was a 3-hour drive to get there. So I got to watch really fast kids run all day but I didn't get to run. The winner of the two-mile did it in 9:34. Craziness!

Today I was supposed to run six miles, according to my training plan, and I only did three because it was raining so much. I really need some better clothes for running in the rain!! I was so waterlogged! My third mile felt really strong, though, in spite of being soaked to the core.

FaeReverie
06-03-2007, 02:24 PM
I just got back from W4D2, although I had to do extra walking due to a stitch (this is what I get for not working out all week! Bad Fae!) I also took my crazy puppy, Lucky. He's a Ridgeback, 5 months old, and really hyper. He likes to go out with me.. enjoys the running too much, he's harder to control, trying to either trip me or run in front of traffic. (Come to think of it, the extra effort of keeping a tight hold on him might have contributed to my stitch.. bah.) But I'm trying to teach him young.. since he's going to be a BIG dog and I know that running with me will help burn off some of his extra energy once he gets full grown.

ANYWAY, it was humid, it had just finished raining. Hot and humid. I got nice and sweaty. Feel great now. Time to rest for a bit, then start cleaning this apartment... :D

WindyCityChick
06-03-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm so glad to see all you new C25Kers posting here! And glad to read you're all progressing through the program with good results.

Me, I ran 8 miles today, and felt great. I am officially 1 week away from my half-marathon, and am alternating between feeling like I can't wait, and feeling nervous about it.

ennay
06-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Good luck Rachel! I have a half this weekend too, although I am just "running it", I am not tapering at all. I plotted the course on gmaps this week...whooooo hilly.

shananigans
06-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Wow, look at all these c25k chicks. Great job, keep it up!

I didnít finish my 5k in 30:00 on Saturday. My official time was 31:36, which was a bit of an improvement over my 5k in April (32:31) but not quite what I was hoping for. Thereís always next time though.

ennay & Rachel - Good luck getting ready for your half marathons this week!

LisaMarie71
06-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Good job on improving your 5k time, shananigans! :carrot:

I ran 3.36 miles on the treadmill tonight for my "speedwork" workout. I really pushed myself and did tons of sweating. Hope that shows up in my weigh-in tomorrow, as my weight loss seems to be slowing down the closer I get to my goal.

I think I have that icky black toenail situation going on. :( Any advice?

royalsfan1
06-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Well, I started week 2 this morning and still felt great about the program. It's a little tough (I'm used to the elliptical) but definitely "doable". I'm just so darn excited! Slow, but excited! Everyone keeps saying I'll speed up in time....so I'm in no hurry.

hikerchick
06-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Hi everyone,

My internet has been down. Its amazing you know... you actually can exercise and do all of those good things without writing it down every day. I wasn't sure...really.

But alas I am glad to be reconnected. Before my modem crashed I downloaded a training plan for a half marathon off of the cool running site and I have started following that.

There is a race in October in Humboldt county in the redwoods. Kind of far from where I am now but I used to live there and would love to have an excuse to go back for a visit.

So I am all excited about training for something. My body is adjusting a bit since this program is 5 days a week. I had been running every other day. But its all good and I am glad to be getting the extra exercise since I am starting to burn out on tuna and cottage cheese and I have started adding a bit of (ahem) variety to my diet. Nothing too serious but an extra Kashi bar here and there adds up so it is good that I am running a bit more.

LisaMarie71
06-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Ran 3.8 miles in the heat tonight. Some hills...ugh. But my legs felt nice and strong, and I was faster than usual today, without really making an effort to be faster.

stacylambert
06-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Great job on the 5K shenanigans! Any improvement is, well, an improvement!

ennay and windycitychick, good luck at your half marathons!

I've been sick for over a week now and it's really taken a toll on my running. I'm planning on running tomorrow but I'm nervous about *sorry for this* all the phlegm. I just don't want to be coughing and sniffing the whole time. I know when I get this though it lasts foreeevveerr and I don't want to miss weeks of running when I have my 10K less than a month away.

I'm also considering running with my dog tomorrow, which would be a first. My husband is out of town and I don't want to run by myself. We'll see how that goes, it may be his first and last time running!

ennay
06-06-2007, 11:07 AM
4.5 trail run last night, 7.25 run this morning

(OK all you C25K'ers I want you to ignore this next part, pacing is NOT something to think about yet!!!!!!)

My "long run" pace and my "short run" pace have been getting closer and closer to the same pace. I just get in this rhythm and have a hard time busting out of it. As soon as I go faster my brain says "you cant MAINTAIN this pace!!!" So after my 2 mile cobweb clearing warmup I ran HARD for 2 miles today and then just let my self run "comfortable" home for the last 3 and they were a good 45 seconds/mile faster than I have been "comfortable" so I just need to shake out of the rut.

Its good because I realized I hadnt had a "now THAT was a good workout" feeling for a while.

shananigans
06-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Stacy Ė Hope you feel better soon. I hate getting sick, Iím such a big baby about it. Good thing it doesnít happen too often! What kind of dog do you have? I take my dog with me on all my runs, heís usually pretty good company but I do have to keep him from stopping and smelling and peeing on everything along the way. Heís gotten much better about this, I think heís finally got the idea that jogging time is not check the pee-mail time.

Hiker Ė That half marathon in the redwoods sounds awesome! Have fun training.

I actually won something! No, not a race. ;) The Race for the Cure had all sorts of sponsor booths with drawings and I won a voucher for new shoes and a jacket from New Balance! Iím so excited, I never win anything. Canít wait to go shopping. :woohoo:

WindyCityChick
06-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks everyone for your nice wishes for the half marathon this weekend! Ennay, I'll be thinking of you running one close to the same time as me. I've been trying to take it easy this week, but the weather has been nice and cool here, so I've actually been running at (what for me) is a fairly speedy pace.

Anyway, it's been really nice this week - I haven't been trying to make a big deal out of doing the half marathon, but I guess my friends have figured out how important this has become to me, because I've been getting lots of nice encouraging calls and emails all week, and a few of my friends are going to cheer me on at the finish line, and take me out for a celebration lunch. One of those moments when it's nice to know that you have people in your corner.

Shennanigans, congrats on winning some freebies - nothing like some new stuff to cheer me up, so enjoy your shopping!

ennay
06-07-2007, 10:42 AM
I did a brisk 4 this morning. My legs are tired I think from all the additional stroller walks I have been taking since dd is out of school for the summer. Walked downtown twice yesterday. Pushing that double behemoth stroller is no light workout. :p

Good luck Rachel!

Ilene
06-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Good Luck Rachel :crossed:

Did 9k/5.6miles this morning... I find it warmish, for me when the sun is beaming down I find it difficult... So my run was more like a run/jog/ with lots of walking intervals... I was out for 1h11mins.... :snail: wins the race??

hikerchick
06-07-2007, 02:31 PM
I am with you on the slow. I would like to be faster but I have to work with what I have. 3 miles today 5 yesterday.

gremlina
06-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi everyone! So I finished Couch to 5k last week...this week I started on a 10 wk program called OHM which will take me up to 6 miles when I finish.. These first few weeks though are just the 3 miles like I ran last week on my final week of Couch to 5k. I am really enjoying running now after 10 weeks straight of doing this. :-)

LisaMarie71
06-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Yay, Gremlina!

Good luck, Rachel!!

I ran 3 miles tonight, which would've been nice in spite of the heat if these absurdly enormous bugs or flies or whatever they were hadn't been attacking me the whole time. Holy moly.

royalsfan1
06-07-2007, 10:01 PM
1.8 miles today on C25K W2D2. I did ignore your speed section, ennay, but do need to put forth that if I were any slower I'd be losing ground! I think I walk faster than I run!!! :D

shananigans
06-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Congrats gremlina! Did you find your OHM program on the net? Could you link to it?

Any other suggestions for programs that build from a 5k distance to 10k?

Strength training last night so no running. I ran Tues morning and Wed evening this week and I felt totally wiped after that. I donít run two days consecutively very often so that was probably it.

The humidity is really on the rise around here, wacky WI weather. At least the bugs arenít too bad yet.

Very busy weekend here, future MIL is in town today helping us close on our townhouse, tomorrow is her birthday and Iíve got a work picnic to run, then Sunday is moving day. Hope to get a run in there somewhere!

Have a great weekend all!

ennay
06-08-2007, 11:44 AM
4 yesterday (did I already say that?) taking today off

YP1
06-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Hello, I'm BAAAACK!!!

My legs have now pretty much recovered from the marathon, so I'm trying to get back up to my "maintenance" level for a few weeks before starting training for Amsterdam. I did a couple of easy 3 mile runs while I was in Spain, and last night I did 6.7, which I was quite pleased with.

In the next few weeks I have a couple of 10ks and a 5k, so I'm going to do a bit of speedwork and then kick back into mara training in mid July. For now I'm going to keep my long runs at less than 2 hours, which seems like a long time, but believe me it feels like nothing at the moment!

I've started to reflect on my mara time - not only is it the fastest from anyone at my club this year, but I looked at the times of some of the people from the "fast" group who did Berlin last year - I beat two of the four of them and was only a minute slower than the other. Admittedly berlin was hot (I should know, I was there), but I didn't realise I was so close to the times they posted, which is a huge confidence boost.

Ennay - you see, to have been racking up some mileage while I've been away!

ennay
06-08-2007, 06:39 PM
yeah....it dawned on dh this weekend when I got back from the 16 miler...."you seem to be a bit ahead, are you gonna keep on adding 2 miles every week til the marathon?" :lol: at that rate I think I would be up to a long run of 54 miles or something. :rofl:

WindyCityChick
06-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Congrats Gremlina!

This is my last post before I come back here with a race report for the half marathon on Sunday. I ran 5.5 miles tonight, and the weather was so nice, I wanted to go longer, but figured that was not a great idea.

Now I just have one thing to figure out pre-race - what outfit to wear! Don't worry, I'm not going to wear anything that isn't tried and true - but I have a couple of different options under consideration.

YP1
06-09-2007, 02:34 AM
Good luck!

YP1
06-09-2007, 07:01 AM
I went out and did about 7 miles this morning. slightly further than Thursday so my longest recovery run so far, and I ran continuously for over an hour for the first time too. I was hoping to do more like an hour and a half, but my legs were a bit sore from cycling yesterday, and I was suffering a bit from too much vodka last night, so I decided not to push too hard. I've got plenty of time to get long runs in some other time.

royalsfan1
06-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Ok, this is a little embarrassing to post following Helen's 7 miles! hahaha I finished week 2 on c25k this morning. On to week 3!

YP1
06-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Not embarassing at all - we all had to start somewhere! Well done.

LisaMarie71
06-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Tricia, you're doing so great!!

Helen, I'm glad you're back! Congratulations on your fantastic marathon results! You continue to be my inspiration!

I ran three miles this morning at nearly 10am, and that was clearly too late. I'm going to have to get up early this summer to run, because the heat is just icky. It was a pretty good three miles, in about 33 minutes. I'm getting faster on my easy runs and I'm feeling stronger. I noticed today that the way I run is so different from how it used to be. I used to sort of plod, and the movement was very up-and-down. Hurling myself up and down on the pavement, that sort of thing. Very heavy. Today I felt like my movement was more forward, that my legs were just pushing forward and were really strong, but that I was light on my feet. I haven't felt light on my feet since I was a little child!! :lol:

royalsfan1
06-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks Helen and Lisa for your support. I know everyone starts out somewhere and sometimes it feels really great and other times it feels a little measly. I'm feeling much better, now! Looking forward to week 3 and beyond!

SASCS
06-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I run both outdoors and when indoors on a treadmill. When I am on the treadmill I use my IPod. Does anyone have any really good songs that I can buy for my IPOD? Right now I am running to a large mix (disco, country, modern). I am looking for songs with an upbeat pace. Thanks!

ennay
06-09-2007, 04:32 PM
are you sitting down?

ennay
06-09-2007, 07:31 PM
1:56:51....I am so freaking psyched. A 9 minute PR on a HILLY course.

YP1
06-10-2007, 02:39 AM
Well done!

AnneWonders
06-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Nice!

LisaMarie71
06-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Congratulations, ennay!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I did my long run this morning -- 7 miles, with no walk breaks at all! I think that's my longest run ever without taking a quick walk break. I felt quite comfortable throughout, even though my legs were tired. Miles five and six felt particularly good, believe it or not. Took me nearly an hour and a half, but I'm proud of myself! The fact that I can run that long without stopping still kind of amazes me, considering where I was a year ago.

ennay
06-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Lisa, I totally believe it. I dont think I get going for about 5 miles, runs of 2-3 miles for me are more painful.

LisaMarie71
06-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Today I used the treadmill at the Y and did 3.1 miles in about 32 minutes, which is fast for me. I followed it with another 1/2 mile of walking on a steep incline. I have this huge interest in hiking lately, which I haven't actually acted on yet, so I kind of thought I should get used to walking hills!

HeatherAngel
06-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Hello! :wave:

I kind of followed Tricia in here... I have just started my 2nd week of the Couch to 5K - and I feel awesome! Never thought of myself as a runner... not that you can call what I am doing at the moment 'running'!! :lol3:

But I just wanted to say hello, and maybe start visiting this group as well as my Crazy Canucks, etc.

I am currently working on finding an excellent bra (that doesn't cost the world, since I hope to be too small for it soon!) and another pair of the trainers I wear now, as they are already a little too big.

Thank you for being such an inspiring group!

Heather :D

LisaMarie71
06-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Welcome, Heather! You'll love it here! I started very slowly with running and now I'm hooked. The key, I think, is just to get out there and do it as often as possible, and as comfortably as possible. Don't push yourself to go too fast -- I had trouble with that because I kept thinking I was just way too slow. It's ok to be slow -- I'm still slow, and I probably always will be!! But I can run reasonable distances now and I'm improving every day, and so will you! Check in frequently and tell us about your progress! :)

Edited to add: As for the bra situation, I still wear two bras when I run. I never wanted to spend much money on a heavy-duty support bra, as my sizes changed pretty frequently (down from a double D to a single D now and still getting smaller). I wear a regular comfortable bra under a sports bra and that has always worked quite well, even when I was quite large in the beginning. Wearing two bras isn't uncomfortable, so I've never had a problem with it. No jiggling, which is good.

YP1
06-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Welcome!

I did about 7.4 miles with running club this evening. Bits of it felt really hard because it was my first time back doing hills (the runs I've done since the marathon have been pretty flat), but I was pretty much running at my normal speed.

I'm meant to be doing a 10 mile race on Wednesday night which I'm a bit unsure about. I've registered and have got a number for it, but if I don't feel up to it I don't want to push myself too hard. I think I'll probably do it, but I'll leave it until Wednesday to decide for sure.

wisher
06-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi all, I've never visited this thread, I'm not a runner...but I want to be! I've heard multiple times about the Couch to 5K plan and I checked it out, it really seems doable! I'm eager to start, I will be starting tomorrow since I was already out on the trail this morning for my exercise.

I have a question though, did those of you who have started the program (or finished it) do any additional exercise on "off" days? 30 minutes 3 times a week doesn't sound like much exercise at all. I understand the concept of starting slow but that seems too slow! How did you approach the plan? Did you modify it at all? etc.

thanks!

MariaMaria
06-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Other plans have you run/walk up to five times a week.

Some people do fine with C25K as written, others need more time at one or more levels. You'll know when you get there.

Five weeks from not running at all to running for 20 minutes at a time is not slow at all. Most conservative plans take twice as long.

wisher
06-11-2007, 08:26 PM
The plan I was reading on coolrunning.com was for 9 weeks. I'm going to do it and I'll certainly keep coming to this thread for support, ya'll seem great! To cement my decision and make a commitment I've found a 5k in approximately 9 weeks (it's the Asbury Park 5K in New Jersey on August 11th) Anyone else here in the NJ area going to do it?

hikerchick
06-11-2007, 09:18 PM
You can also tweek the C25K in the other direction. I sped it up a bit since I have no patience to go all nine weeks. A did weeks one and two and then skipped ahead a few weeks and it didn't seem to matter. But the important thing is to find your pace and do what works. Easing into running is totally the way to go it is so cool to actually be able to train your body to do something which it couldn't do before.

I also tweeked the 3 day a week bit. Instead I just ran every other day which squeezed an extra day every other week. It seemed to always take about 45 minutes (with a short warm up walk on each end). On my off days I would lift weights (and still do).

Ran 7 on sunday and it took me a grand total of an hour and 40 minutes. Miles 6 and 7 were definitely not my best. After the 5th mile my run resembles those slow motion takes on the bionic woman. Until then I am running about a 13 minute mile which is still not exactly speedy but I am pretty laid back about the whole thing. I figure it will all come in time. Its nice to feel marginally fit.

Ennay....Amazing.

And Lisa I am impressed with your 32 minute run. You are really racing ahead so to speak.

royalsfan1
06-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Wisher - I'm starting week 3 tomorrow. I follow the 3 day a week running for now. On my "off" days I do my elliptical for some non-impact cardio to give my legs a break and I do weight training. So far so good. I'm loving it! Hope you do too!

WindyCityChick
06-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Ok ladies, I'm finally here with my half marathon race report. I finished in 2 hours 41 minutes, which put me at a pace of 12:19 per mile. Going into the race, I was hoping to get under 12, but the course wound up being quite hilly, and since I'm used to running along the flat flat flat Chicago lakefront, I'm still very pleased - heck, I'm very pleased just to have finished.

The other unexpected challenge was the cicadas! This race was in an area of Chicago that has a lot of old trees, and the 17 year cicada population is out in full force now. Not only was the noise amazingly loud, there were little dead cicada bodies smooshed into the road everywhere, and I had several fly into me during the run - ick!

It was a beautiful day, and I felt pretty good the whole way through, even with the hills. One of my friends surprised me by showing up at around mile 11 and running up one of the hills with me, then doing the last lap around the local high school track with me, which was really nice.

Of course, at mile 13, I kept thinking - holy cow, if this was a full marathon, I'd only be half way done now! I think I'll definitely have to work on speed a bit to get to the point where I really believe I can do a marathon. But, I am thinking about it - maybe next summer. In the meantime, I was so excited about yesterday, that I went on the web tonight and signed up for another half marathon this September. And the good thing about this one is that it's back in the flatlands of downtown Chicago, so surely I'll be able to improve my time :)

Here's a little picture of me on the last lap - I don't think I realized till I saw this that running really has created some muscles in my legs - when I look at them in the mirror, I still see fat girl legs.

YP1
06-12-2007, 03:44 AM
Well done and nice picture!

(I'm still gutted that I managed to run a whole marathon and they didn't manage to take a single picture of me - and in my first they only managed two, some people seemed to have 11 or 12 just from one race!)

LisaMarie71
06-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Great job, Rachel!! :cheer2: And nice picture! Add your name to Helen's on my list of running inspirations!!

Was this your first half marathon? I can't remember. I'm getting ready for mine in September so I'll probably have lots of questions for you! My first one is about walk breaks. Did you take them? Did you plan them or just take one when you needed it? I'm wondering if I should take them to conserve energy or just run until I can't run anymore. As I get into longer runs in my training this summer, I'll probably have a better idea of what I should do.

This morning I ran 4 miles at a slightly faster pace than normal. Felt good, but I'm taking tomorrow off and going to step aerobics and bodysculpting classes (my usual Wednesday thing).

I'll be out of town all next week so I'll have to find some good spots for running in my hometown. There's a great little park that's nice and flat, but running the 1/2 mile loop over and over gets quite dull. Everywhere else will be nightmarishly hilly, I'm thinking, but I have a few runner friends who live nearby and I can get their advice.

hikerchick
06-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Look at those legs! Woo hoo Rachel!!!! Very cool.

Lisa I am right behind you with a half in October. I am sure I will be pleased just to finish and even more pleased if my legs look half as good as Rachels by then. (thanks for posting the motivational picture).

Today was hills for me. The problem when I run outside is I haven't got the faintest clue how far or fast I am going. Best guess is between 4 and 5 probably closer to 4 since I am ALWAYS slower than I think. It was excruciating hill repeats a very short hill and a very good workout. Ran up my hill 25 times talk about monotonous.

But I like running up hills... kind of has a superwoman feel to it. Of course if I could watch myself and see how slow I actually go it might ruin the image. But luckily I am blissfully unaware. (insert superhero music of your choice)

Ilene
06-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Rachel you look wonderful!! Congrats :celebrate:

WindyCityChick
06-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks everyone!

Lisa, to answer your questions, yes this was my first half marathon - in fact, it was my first formal race of any kind. I kept meaning to get in a 5k or 10k race beforehand, but somehow never quite got around to it. So, I was a bit nervous about the whole thing, but once it got underway, I was fine, and everyone was very friendly on the course.

As to walk breaks, I walked through the water stops as I was drinking, but otherwise, didn't take a real walking break until I hit the biggest monster hill of the course at about mile 8. (We first headed down a big hill toward the lake front, and while that was nice, I knew what was going to be on the other end - took one look when I got to the bottom, and decided walking back up was definitely the way to go!)

In the last 5 miles, I probably took another 2 or 3 walking breaks as my legs got a little more tired. I didn't really have them planned out, but figured I would need a little break here and there, particularly as I got closer to the end. I think you're right that you will be able to get a better feel for what will work for you as you get into some longer runs in your prep training. I don't think you would want to wait until you absolutely feel like you have to take a walking break, but I did try to train myself to run for a pretty good stretch without one.

ennay
06-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Helen, I'm with you on the photo thing. My first marathon they had 2 cameras set up to get the finish line shot with the time and when I went through BOTH Cameras got the person before me and the person after me. RRRRR

ennay
06-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Wooohooo Rachel!!!!!

HeatherAngel
06-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi all :wave:

I did day two of week two on the Couch to 5K programme this morning -it is VERY hot here at the moment, but I just knew that if I didn't go in the morning, I'd try to find excuses all afternoon NOT to go in the evening! :D

I took a different route, which was less hilly, but a bit firmer, and thus maybe a little tougher on my knees. :( I'll know tomorrow, I guess.

I haven't 'cheated' at all - though that's a poor word - I am timing my jogging and walking, and managing not to walk longer in between this week, which is definitely a step up from last week! :) I'm a little worried about week 3 - Tricia - how are you finding it? Not such a big jump up, and manageable? It LOOKS like a big jump up in time - if I find it hard, I think I'll do week two again :lol3:

Wisher -I have never felt so good as doing this - get started and let us know how you get on!

Have a great day everyone -

Sheila53
06-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Rachel--your first race was a half-marathon??!! Wow! I'm impressed! Congratulations!

Ennay, we're doing a 5K race in Tigard this Sunday. They have a balloon festival, I guess. My DD picked it out. We've never been to this place so it should be interesting just trying to find it via the google map. :)

wisher
06-13-2007, 09:20 PM
ARGH! I was supposed to start my first day of the C25K program today and I went down to the fitness room at our apartment complex to use the treadmill and it was locked and there was no one else there to let me in! I'm really bummed, I can't run outside because it's 106 degrees out. I'm just really grumpy because this is the 3rd time in the last 2 weeks that I've gone to use the room and it's locked, they're not supposed to lock it until 10:00 pm. Unfortunately the manager's office opens after I go to work and closes before I get home so I haven't been able to bring this to their attention! It's so frustrating when I'm shooting for a 5K August 11th!! Thanks for letting me vent :D

NavyWifeDee
06-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Great jobs on those races ladies! You amaze me! I on the other hand, let my mental slump lead to a physical one, and now I'm out there huffing and puffing on 1/2 mile jogs instead of my former 3 mile ones. Why doesn't the body have a rewind mechanism that I can set and say, see you remember, a few weeks ago we were running 3 miles easily, why can't we do, say half that and work back up, why am I back at square one? Ah well, I'm back in the groove, however small it may be, and working back up to 3.1 miles again for another 5k in July for motivation. Great job guys, all you racers and C25k'ers... Keep it up!

AnneWonders
06-13-2007, 11:59 PM
I'm really bummed, I can't run outside because it's 106 degrees out.

Hey wisher, summer in Tucson was what finally convinced me to become a morning person. I'm outside between 5 and 7, depending on my schedule. Well, most summers anyway since I'm on running hiatus until about March of next year.

Congrats Rachel.

Hi everybody. Still lurking...

Anne

YP1
06-14-2007, 03:39 AM
Yuk, my 10 mile race last night was horrible. I still technically managed a 10 mile PB, but only because my old one was pretty slow - I barely got above marathon pace overall and finished in 1:28:something. I've actually been far faster than that for the first 10 miles of a HM, but I always seem to have bad runs when I do a 10 mile race. I had awful stomach problems so ended up run/walking back to the finish after the first 5 miles, then felt really grotty all night so I'm not sure whether it was something I ate rather than just bog standard runners trots. Ah well, there will be plenty more races.

wisher
06-14-2007, 08:36 AM
wndranne - I actually am a morning person, however I'm already up at 5:15 every morning to make it to work on time, if I got up earlier to run it would be dark out and I don't really feel comfortable running by myself around the city in the dark! I'll figure something out though, I refuse to just give up!!

LisaMarie71
06-14-2007, 09:30 AM
wisher, I hope you can figure everything out. 106 degrees is crazy! It gets to the mid-to-high 90s here in the summer, but I'm lucky that I'm off all summer and can get up and run early but not TOO early. I just did my five miles this morning, but it's cloudy and cooler today anyway.

Helen, I'm sorry you had a bad run, but you're right--there will be lots more of them, and you have lots of successful races in your future. And a "bad" run for you would be a success for most people, I bet! Look how far you've come! I try to remember that when I get disappointed in something with my running. I beat myself up about my slow pace all the time, because I really want to get to a faster "easy" comfortable pace, but I'm still between 11:30 and 12:00. Then I remember that a year ago there's no way I could've even run for 11 minutes straight to save my life, and I'm thankful for how different my life is now!

LisaMarie71
06-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Did 3 miles this morning, and those miles were MUCH tougher than the 5 miles I did yesterday. So weird how that works sometimes. Had about an 11:20 average pace, and for some reason that killed me. Ugh.

HeatherAngel
06-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi all :wave:

I've finished week 2 of the Couch to 5K programme... quite surprisingly worried about week 3... anyone done this and repeated a week?

It's great inspiration for me to read all of your entries about how much or how far you run - at this point, I'm still amazed I am actually moving at all! :D

Have a great day!
Heather :)

MariaMaria
06-15-2007, 11:32 AM
If you need to repeat a week, repeat the week.

C25K progresses a lot faster than many other programs.

shananigans
06-15-2007, 12:37 PM
:wave: Hi all you runners! Iíve missed you.

Helen - Congrats on another fantastic marathon, speed demon! Sorry your 10 mi didnít go like you hoped.

Rachel Ė Great job on your half! Very impressive. You look great, running really does do nice things for the look of your legs.

Heather & wisher - Welcome! I started with c25k, still not doing much more than 3 miles but at least I can do that. Iíve run 2 5k races this spring and really enjoyed them.

deeinthekeys Ė I know all about the slump! Iíve had a few myself. The important thing is you are back at it and will get back to 3.1 and beyond.

Speaking of slumpsÖI didnít run for a week. :o A small slump, but I still feel kind of bad about it. Last weekend was crazy, this week was crazy trying to get settled in the new house and I just didnít have it in me to get up at 5 when I was going to bed later than normal. And it has been way too hot to run after work. Finally got up this morning and ran a little over 2 miles with a half mile walk for warm up and cool down. It is still so humid though, even if cool enough at that hour. Not quite back in my groove, but Iíll work that out next week. Iíll be out of town with a busy agenda this weekend so I doubt Iíll be running.

Keep up the great work everyone!

ennay
06-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Sheila, I almost did that race last year. I'd love to have a FE at a race sometime, but this year I am mostly doing long stuff. I might do a 10K in NorthPlains in Aug.

YP1
06-16-2007, 07:06 AM
I did just under 10 miles this morning. It felt a lot better than the race on Wednesday - admittedly it wasn't as hilly - I just took it at a slow pace (slower than my normal long run pace), and told myself not to obsess about times, just to get used to being on my feet for a decent amount of time. I guess I kind of assume that because I could run 26 miles 3 weeks ago, I should be able to do more than 10 now, without realising how much it does take out of you. I'm sure I could do more if I had to, but I've got time before Amsterdam to build up relatively slowly, so there's no point rushing it.

I might go out with a running group from my gym tomorrow, if I do I don't think it will be a particularly hard or long run unless there are some secret speed demons I don't know about! I know I'm faster than the personal trainer organising it, which gives me confidence that it will be well within my ability. I'll see how I feel, I might have a rest day as I have actually hit 30 miles this week which isn't too bad.

WindyCityChick
06-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi ladies! The title of this thread is no longer accurate for me, as it is hot and humid here in Chicago this weekend, so I am far from a cool runner - much more of a hot, sweaty runner! That's ok, at least I'm still getting my miles in - trying to run early in the day to avoid the worst of it. Ran 6 yesterday, and 7 this morning. Hope you're all doing great - I love reading the C25K progress reports!

wisher
06-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Finally had my first C25K "run" this morning. It was harder than I thought it would be, seemed easy at first but then after a few running cycles it got harder and harder! I actually walked through the last minute of running. I think the name is a little misleading, no one could get off the couch and do that not have exercised at all before! lol

Anyway I'm glad to have started it finally, tomorrow is an "off" day, I think I'll do some work on the stationary bike then back to C25K on tuesday!

P.S. loooove my new running shoes!

Sweater Girl
06-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Yah for your first run. You best bet would be to run a little slower. The first intervals are often easy, but then your body gets tired. Going a little slower will make your later intervals easier! Don't worry if it seems like you could walk faster, your speed will come with time!

Hope this helps!

Ali

WindyCityChick
06-20-2007, 12:01 AM
Hi everyone - it was a gorgeous day here in Chicago, and I got out of work a bit early, so enjoyed the extra free time by adding on a few miles to my evening run. Went 8.2 in total, and felt really great the whole time - it's amazing how much a drop in humidity makes things easier.

Sheila53
06-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Did my 5K on Sunday. Perfect weather--a bit cool and overcast. The course was through a park, a butterfly garden, and part of it was on a bark chip footpath through the woods. Fantastic! The best part was that I did the 5K in 35.31, which is an 11.39 mile--my best time ever! My goal this year is to run under a 35 min. race, and I got pretty darn close. My DD ran with me, and it was helpful having her there to spur me on and vice versa. Told her she had to go with me to all my races this summer.

NavyWifeDee
06-20-2007, 06:07 AM
WTG Sheila! That's the time frame I am shooting for. Right now, I can do a 10:29 mile, but only one, and my longer runs always end up averaging out to 13:30-14:30, or somewhere in there. At least right now it's easy to get a PR on my 5k, since my times are so bad, lol.

I got back out there this morning and did a mile, in a 12:30 pace, not too bad considering I've only run a mile total before that this month. I hate being in a slump, but I feel like I've got it licked. Gonna keep it easy the rest of this week, and get back up to my mileage next week, as I've got a 5k the next week to try and finish.

Have a great day everyone!

HeatherAngel
06-20-2007, 07:58 AM
Good Morning!

Wisher - Congrats on getting started! I am on week three, but I am actually repeating week two. I need to strengthen a bit more before moving on.

I actually went out on Monday, and had to cheat and walk a LOT - I just felt extraordinarily tired, and couldn't seem to push through it - but I was SO disappointed in myself. I am feeling better about it now, telling myself that in fact listening to my body is a Very Good Thing! :D

I was out this morning before 7am - SO unlike me!! - and I feel much better. Ran better, too - but it is still hard on the old knees... Still - I'm moving and shaking!! ;)

I'll probably move on to week three next Monday :)

MariaMaria
06-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Don't think of it as cheating.

It took you a long time to get as out of shape as you are now. It's reasonable that it's going to take time to get into shape, too.

HeatherAngel
06-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks Maria - That's an EXCELLENT way to look at it - I will! :)
Heather

ennay
06-21-2007, 01:22 PM
I think I have a budding distance runner on my hands! Yesterday we spent A LOT of time in the stroller and last night walking with dh, dd (3 1/2) said she was done strollering and wanted to "run home". So we let her out and she would run to the end of the block and then run back to us and we'd take her across the street and run and back. All told I think she ran about a mile in about 10 "intervals" I was pretty impressed. At the end she was tired and we offered the stroller for the last stretch and she decided to run home instead of ride or even walk.

ennay
06-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Heather...it happens sometimes even to the more experienced runners. I had one run about a month ago I went out expecting to do 5 miles and I ran 1 and started doing walk/run intervals and finally threw in the towel and walked home. Sometimes you are just tired.

YP1
06-22-2007, 03:42 AM
Yes! I think my legs have finally recovered! I did a 12 mile run into work this morning, and as well as it being about 2 miles longer than my next longest post marathon run, it also felt a lot easier than most of the rest. I actually ended up doing it within 10 seconds of the time it took last time I ran that route back in April, when I was right at the peak of marathon training, so that's a good sign.

I think part of the problem with my recovery feeling slow has been starting to cycle into work on non-running days - it feels like my legs are taking ages to recover from each run, but I suspect it's actually that the problem is the different muscles I'm using on the bike. Now they're a bit more used to being used, hopefully it should all start to feel a bit easier.

I've got a rest day tomorrow (and must remember that means no cycling either), and then a 10k on Sunday. It's a really big race which I'm doing more for the atmosphere (it's being organised by a really inspirational terminally ill local woman, and from the reports of her health may well be one of the last events she's involved in), so I'm not really going for a PB, but I will see how I feel on Sunday before deciding how to play it.

HeatherAngel
06-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Morning all! :wave:

Thanks Ennay - good to know it happens sometimes :)

I moved on this morning to week 3 of the C25K - wasn't sure I'd be able to, but it was all good, and now I feel GREAT! I think I might do Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday next week, so that it doesn't feel like a long time between now and Monday.

Helen - what's a PB? All I can imagine is Power Burn... am I close? ;)

Have a super weekend everyone - I'm so glad I found this group!

ennay
06-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Morning all! :wave:

Thanks Ennay - good to know it happens sometimes :)
:D

Ugh I jinxed myself. This morning I went out for a 7 miler, slogged a mile, stopped and walked home.

Oh and PB, PR - Personal Best, Personal Record

Sheila53
06-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Must have been one of those days. I was trying for 3.25 miles, but ended up at 2.5, and it was tough at that. Still recovering from some kind of virus. Not sure why I was able to get it together for the race on Sunday, but I think I kind of maxed out my energy for the week.

You're doing great, Heather!

HeatherAngel
06-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks! NOT Power Burn then!! :lol3:

wisher
06-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Went out again this morning, feeling tired but great! Unfortunately I just don't think I'm ready for the C25K program, I'm really struggling with the last few run cycles and haven't been able to do them sometimes. So I'm just going to work my way up to it (boy that sounds sad when it's supposed to start off so easy right?) Anyhoo I'm going to follow that mode of running (the very short but frequent stints of running mixed in with brisk walking) so today that's just what I did. I ran for a minute or so then power walked for 2 minutes or so, cycling as many times as I could then power walking the rest of the way. I was out for 45 minutes and it was a beautiful (although HOT) morning here in AZ! I'm just glad I'm doing some running, even if I can't quite do the program I want yet. I always feel so accomplished and powerful when I run, I can see why it's so addictive!

I hope everyone else has a great run today too!!!

WindyCityChick
06-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Wisher, I am a big believer in listening to what your body is telling you, so what you're doing sounds perfectly sensible to me - take things slowly, and just gradually increase the amount of time you spend running when your body tells you you're ready for it.

It was a perfect day for running here today - about 68 degrees, low humidity and overcast, so I decided it would definitely be a good day for a nice long run - went 14 miles, and feel great! Hope the rest of you are enjoying a wonderful weekend, running-wise or otherwise!

wisher
06-23-2007, 05:05 PM
thanks windycitychick! 14 miles? My gosh I can't even imagine going that far!!! I suppose I will get there someday though :D

LisaMarie71
06-24-2007, 12:00 AM
It's so good to be back! Everyone's doing such a great job keeping up with their runs! I've been out of town all week, but I kept up with my runs too. I had some really great runs since last weekend. A 6-mile run, an 8-mile run (my longest ever, and no walk breaks or stopping at all), a fast 3.1 mile run in 30:11 (fast for me), a 5, a 4, and another 3. Woohoo! The only problems I'm having are that I ate WAY too much at my mom's house (doesn't that always happen?) and I think I may have pulled a muscle or something in my left butt cheek. I know that's too much info, maybe, but ouchie -- it really hurts today! I don't know what's going on. Definitely not running tomorrow, but I'll see how it feels when I run again on Monday.

I can't flippin believe I can run 8 miles without stopping! Took me a little over an hour and a half, doing 12-minute miles, but still -- I was actually somewhat comfortable throughout. It was a flat surface the whole way, so that helped. My legs DID hurt a bit -- or they were tired, I should say -- but my breathing was always pretty comfortable. I'm determined to stay on my training schedule for my 1/2 marathon -- I hope this icky little pain goes away soon!!

NavyWifeDee
06-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Well, not much running go on for me, but I AM running, working my way back to my previous mileage. I did a little bit over a mile tonight in 12:37, so not too bad, that's actually pretty fast for me. My problem is not so much the heat, but I think the humidity is what is killing my breathing. I feel like I am breathing worse than I was back in January when I couldn't run a quarter mile, and it's driving me crazy. I'm hoping to get back up to 3 miles again in another week or two. Everyone please hunt me down and kick me in the butt if I try to get in a slump again, okay? I'm paying for it now.

Dee

YP1
06-24-2007, 08:59 AM
I did my 10k in about 49:53, which was slower than I have been racing that distance, but still under 50 minutes so I can't complain. It was very crowded, and I couldn't get into my stride for the first 3k or so - the last 7k were much closer to the splits I was hoping to run, so all is not lost. Also, I wasn't targetting the race for a good time anyway, so I'm happy that my "slow" 10ks are now under 50 minutes, this time last year anything under 60 was still an achievement - and the year before that running 10k was a distant dream! I actually cycled to and from the race too, which used up a bit of energy I might had saved had I been serious about the race. Now I just need to add the swim (and with the weather out there now, if I were to go outside I might be able to manage it - fortunately it only started raining torrentially after the race, and after the cycle home).

AnneWonders
06-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Lisa, sometimes I find massage really helps with the random muscle kinks that running brings up. Congrats on your 8 miles--that is just such an accomplishment.

Dee, keep going!

Helen, congrats on your 'slow' 10K.

Back to the couch. I'm rolling in nausea today.

Anne

ennay
06-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Ugh Anne...I hate "morning sickness"

16 miserable miles today. (OK Lisa you thought butt pull was TMI...:o) I had to poo from mile 7 to mile 13 when I finally found a suitable location. I kept rejecting foliage because of raspberry stickers and poison oak. Not a happy girl today. thats what I get for going back to sleep after feeding ds because I was too early to meet my running buddy. Should have eaten and THEN gone back to sleep.

Any advice for post run charley horses? I keep getting them after long runs (oddly did not after the race)

YP1
06-24-2007, 02:41 PM
I've just got the official results through, and they're not too bad. On chip time, I was 641/6076, and 84/1998 in my age/gender category (which is based on gun time).

Anne - hope the nausea goes away for you!

MariaMaria
06-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Top 5%? Wow. Good for you.

glitterlicious
06-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Hi everyone. I'm so happy I found this thread. I just completed the first week of the c25k program and I LOVE it. And on fridays I'm making it a tradition to finish out my week on the trail by the canal by my house. It's a gorgeous way to end the week.

Can't wait to get started on week #2 :)

This week wasn't too much of a challenge so I can't wait until it gets progressively more challenging....until I can handle running 30 minutes and maybe actually enjoy it. Can't wait.

But for now, I'm easing into it gradually.

YP1
06-24-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

I've just bought another pair of running shoes. When they arrive I will have three identical pairs floating round the house in various stages of decay, plus one pair of the previous version which is only slightly different. I really must write numbers on them so I know which is which. But they were cheap online and I couldn't resist. I know they work for me, and did I mention they were cheap?...

ennay
06-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Helen - i am the same way, it is a long drive for me to the good running store so I usually buy 2. Although I try to alternate brands because it helps my foot issue. I try to track mileage on them, but sometimes if I dont log my workout that day I cant remember.

LisaMarie71
06-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Dee, I know what you mean about humidity -- it's not very hot yet this morning but it's like thick soup out there. Ugh!

Helen, great job on your 10k, you speedy girl!

Anne, I'm sorry about the nausea, and I hope it goes away soon!

ennay, I'm not worried about giving too much information anymore after that! Heehee! I have wondered what I would do on a long run if something like that happens. There's really nowhere to stop on my regular route, that's for sure! I'm sorry you had to suffer through it a few miles. But wow -- 16 miles! You're amazing! Tell me, what do you do for water on a long run like that? I've been thinking, now that my runs are getting longer, if I should get some kind of camelbak thingie or something I can carry water in, so I'm looking for suggestions.

glitterlicious, I'm glad you're enjoying the C25K program -- stick with it and you'll be as hooked as the rest of us!

This morning I did an utterly miserable 3 miles. I have to get used to the hills on my regular route, after doing flat runs all last week. These hills aren't steep at all but they're quite long so I feel like I'm going uphill for ages. I'm also a bit sick, and the air is humid and thick, so I could barely squeeze out three slow miles. Wish me luck for the 6 I have planned for tomorrow!!

HeatherAngel
06-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Morning!

I ran the start of week three of C25K on Friday, so instead of waiting until Monday to continue, I did another day yesterday; I'll do Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday this week, which I figure should ease me into week four nicely... I do seem to need a little longer on the weeks, but it builds my confidence (and stamina!) so I'm happy with it :)

Today I am going to begin adding some weight training for my 'non-running' days, so I am quite looking forward to that!

I had the world's silliest NSV yesterday - my hubby came running with me (still not entirely sure how I feel about him coming with me - it is kind of 'my time', but it is also nice to do something together...) and he couldn't run the whole of the programme... and I just kept going! Now, you'd have to know that hubby is quite slim and fit, always has been, and I have always struggled to keep up with him at EVERYTHING... so, I came home with a quite little smile in my mind. I know I shouldn't look at it as 'Hahaha - look at me - I can run now... and you CAN'T!' :lol3: since that is absolutely NOT the case. BUT - wow! did I ever feel good about what I am doing for myself! :D

Have a great day everyone - it is wonderful to read how FAR you can all run and think that maybe I will, one day, too!

ennay
06-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Lisa - I have a camelbak...mine is a waist pak, no shoulder straps. The 2 best ways to carry are either the camelbak or the belt that holds 4 little flasks.

The camelbak holds more and is easy to drink from on the move. But it is harder to clean and the nice thing about the flasks is you can fill 2 with H20 and 2 with gatorade if you choose.

My camelbak is nice though because it has 2 little pockets - one for new gu, one for the oozy gu wrapper remains and a mesh easy access thing (where I carry my mace) and a flat inner pocket (where I carry emergency wet wipes in a zip--had I found suitable foliage)

Truthfully in hundreds of miles of running, this is only twice that I was on the absolutely desperate side and had to go mid long run. I usually eat early enough to get that out of the way before I leave.

ennay
06-25-2007, 10:28 AM
heather - that is a GREAT NSV. Its not really about beating them, its if you have always seen them as fit, you are comparing yourself to a standard and realizing you are improving.

YP1
06-25-2007, 04:45 PM
I've finally found a workout that tires me out! I cycled to work (5 miles), swam for an hour then went to work. Then at the end of the day I cycled 2 and a bit miles to running club, ran 6.3 miles and cycled 4.5 miles home. I normally swim and run on the same day, but I decided to see whether cycling would be a better way of getting between all the different places I wanted to be. It actually worked really well because there was so much rain during the day that the entire city centre was gridlocked, other than bikes weaving through the traffic. The rain had stopped by the time I set out from work, but the after effects were still making themselves known.

If I feel OK in the morning I might try some speedwork on the treadmill. I'm doing a 5k on Sunday and although I know that I'm not going to be able to make myself hugely faster in 6 days, I'm getting quite competitive about it because a load of people from work are doing it, and I want to remind my legs how to run fast!

But for now I'm just going to go to sleep ;)

YP1
06-26-2007, 03:41 AM
I did 30 minutes of treadmill intervals in the end. I managed to get the treadmill going a lot faster than I ever have before - I even managed 2 minutes at 15 kph without falling off the back :faint:

glitterlicious
06-26-2007, 08:40 AM
I'm heading out to start week #2 today. Should be a nice day for it even though it already is starting to feel humid out. Can't wait!

HeatherAngel
06-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi Glitterlicious (great name!)

Hope your start to week two went well - I found week two REALLY hard, but extended it. In many ways, week three has been easier.

I've actually decided to tweak the programme so that I am doing five days of each week - I just find this easier for building my stamina and strength - but no doubt you are fitter than I am!

Isn't it AWESOME? :lol:

LisaMarie71
06-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Heather and Glitter, I'm so glad you're enjoying your first weeks of running. You'll love when it gets easier and you can have nice, comfortable runs. Believe it or not, they're coming!

My run this morning was so NOT comfortable, though! I did 6 slow, painful miles, and I'm actually really glad it's over with!

ennay
06-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Nice run this morning - I have a nice 7 mile loop around town (yes that is around the WHOLE town...its a small town) Its 2.5 miles to a stoplight where I generally have to wait 2-3 minutes to get across, and then ~2 flat to another place where I have traffic and also start going up hill rather steeply. So I did 2.5 warmup, the 2 tempo then just ran home, I always run the last part kind of fast after doing a tempo.

YP1
06-26-2007, 02:57 PM
I think I've just been signed up for my fourth marathon. Two weeks after my third. This could be interesting... (I know it's not really enough time to recover, but the second of the two will be a lot slower than the first, so hopefully it should be OK, and at least now I know what to expect and am going into it with my eyes open).

glitterlicious
06-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi Glitterlicious (great name!)

Hope your start to week two went well - I found week two REALLY hard, but extended it. In many ways, week three has been easier.

I've actually decided to tweak the programme so that I am doing five days of each week - I just find this easier for building my stamina and strength - but no doubt you are fitter than I am!

Isn't it AWESOME? :lol:

It is most definetly awesome. :)

The second week definetly is much more difficult. I don't know whether it was the step up or the heat that did it, but I was really working up a sweat. But I felt so great afterwards.

glitterlicious
06-27-2007, 09:58 AM
week #2 workout #2 completed.

I feel AWESOME.:)

HeatherAngel
06-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Wow, Glitterlicious, you are really going, girl!

I absolutely HAVE to take a day off in between (but I have added strength training those days) - I can't yet imagine running every day... but I'll get there... maybe... :lol:

royalsfan1
06-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Hi runners! Well, I've returned home from vacation and I'm happy to report that I kept up with my C25K training for both weeks I was away! I'm so glad I did that for myself. I feel much better for it and I don't have to start over or go backwards at all now that I'm home. I'm on week 5 and I'll be doing day 2 tomorrow. :)

YP1
06-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Well done for keeping it up!

I did 9 miles this evening with running club. It was actually a really nice evening for the first time in ages, although it was still muddy. I'm kind of glad that I decided to walk up there rather than running it though, that would have been another 3 miles on top.

My 5k at the weekend has been cancelled because of flooding, so I might get a long run in instead. I'm marathon training again, after all!

hikerchick
06-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Hello everyone,

Today was my first real slacker day. It went like this. I got on the treadmill (its HOT outside) and started running and it said I was going 8 miles per hour. I knew it was just wrong but I tried to tweak it and it just stayed that way. After the first "mile" I tweaked some more and the little display went back to under 5mph so there you go. I ran another mile and then just gave up but I ran yesterday and will tomorrow so a little slack is not too bad.

Had a great nsv the other day. Went out on a "run" with my son. He is 9 and he can keep up ok. He kind of runs with me when he wants to and walks when he doesn't.

Anyhow we are nearing the end of the road and he starts to sprint. So I sprint too, we race and.....It was a tie!

Now he is a pretty fast 9 year old so this is good. I used to run around the bases with him as a game when he was little and he could out run me by 2 (I didn't try that hard of course but he sure is a speedy guy).

Anyhow I am glad I can still kind of keep up with him. In a few years he will leave me in the dust of course but that's OK.

WindyCityChick
06-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Hi coolrunners! Glad to see everyone is logging those miles. It's been really humid in Chicago this week, so running has been tough - I get so sweaty and sometimes feel like I can't breath because the air is so thick. But, still plugging away, and we're supposed to get a nice break in the humidity tomorrow.

And - I have to share that I have a new motivator to keep running. My treat to myself for running in a half marathon was to buy myself a new running skirt. Most of my running clothes were purchased more for the price point than the fashion (although - plug for Target - their C9 line manages to combine both quite nicely). So, I bought myself a new running skirt from Brooks that was definitely a bit pricier than most of my running clothes. But, I gotta say, I feel so girly and feminine when I wear it, it just makes me feel good! Anyone else have the same experience with a piece of clothing?

YP1
06-28-2007, 03:30 AM
Ooh, I really want a running skirt, but I haven't got round to locating one yet. I think they look really cute.

I did another 6k speed session on the treadmill this morning.

HeatherAngel
06-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Morning!

Got my morning run in - still on Week 3 of C25K... I honestly can't imagine running more than 3 minutes at this point :( Maybe I'll take a couple of days off, and try Week 4 on Sunday... might as well try. I feel SO unfit. But I'm getting better!! :D

I don't know what a running skirt is - is it like a tennis skirt? I am SO not fashion conscious, but it sounds nice :) - there is NOTHING feminine about my running right now, though!! :lol3:

LisaMarie71
06-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Running skirts worry me because of chafing. Are there little shorts under there? If not, forget it!!

I did 3.1 miles of interval training on the treadmill today in 31:45. I was sweating like a madwoman, but I got through it. I'm supposed to do my long run tomorrow (9 miles!!) and I'm afraid I won't make it!! It's been tough lately!

YP1
06-28-2007, 01:16 PM
The ones I've seen do have shorts underneath, don't worry ;)

ennay
06-28-2007, 06:50 PM
8 this morning, slow and sluggish. Virtually no sleep last night. I couldnt get to my normal longrun pace even. Fortunately my garmin conked out 1/2 way so I dont have to know how slow it ended up being.

I did have the cool experience of getting almost to the 7 mile mark (which is a nice loop home) and realizing HEY that was just an easy run. 7 miles. No harder than 2 or 3 used to be.

Followed by a shooting tightening up my left shin at 7.5 miles, hopefully nothing major.

NavyWifeDee
06-29-2007, 12:47 AM
well, halfway back up to my previous run length. I did 1.56 tonight, and still rocking with the 12:49 pace, so I'm happy with it. It may be taking me longer to get back up to over 3 miles this time, but I'm definitely moving faster overall, and that makes me mucho happy! Hope everyone had a great night.

Dee

YP1
06-29-2007, 03:39 AM
I did just over 5 this morning. My legs felt tired though, I've run every day this week and done more biking than normal, so it might be time for a bit of a rest over the weekend.

glitterlicious
06-29-2007, 10:09 AM
OMG I seriously just had the best workout EVER.

All done with week #2 of the c25k plan

I felt like I had springs in my legs when I was running, and now I feel just wonderful.

So now I know what it feels like to enjoy working out...

Can't wait to start week #3 next week...3 minutes does sound daunting but I think I'm ready for it. :)

LisaMarie71
06-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Yay, glitter!! I like your new picture too -- very cute!

I ran 10 miles this morning!! Insane! It killed me and I don't know how long it's going to take me to recover, but I did it. It was slow and difficult. I was supposed to do 9 miles but I decided to throw another on top of it to see if I could do 10. And I did!

shananigans
06-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi all you runners!

Helen, you are a mad woman! All that cycling, running, swimming. Have you ever done a triathlon? Would you consider it?

Great job all you c25k people! I know at first 3 minutes seemed tough, and 5 minutes seemed like an eternity, the first time I did 20 min straight I couldnít believe I could actually do it. You will get there, just keep at it.

LisaMarie Ė 10 miles! :eek: You go woman.

I have been gone for a long time. The humidity and this no working out funk has really thrown me for a loop. However, I did 3 miles last night, 3 miles last Friday, and a couple miles the end of the week before that. I think itís pretty amazing that I can still crank out 3 miles pretty easily even though Iíve been slacking major.

I think I need a new goal or program to work on. I think working towards a 10k is the next logical step. Does anyone have suggestions or a program aimed at getting from a 5k distance to 10k?

YP1
06-29-2007, 12:58 PM
shananigans - I haven't done a triathlon but am definitely considering doing one at some point. Not this year though, I think I've got too many marathons to attempt anything else, so I'm just using running and swimming for cross training for now.

Lisa Marie - well done!

NavyWifeDee
06-29-2007, 10:15 PM
I ran two.... two miles at a less than 12min/mile pace... Holy Cow! I thought I was so bad and so far behind after not running for a couple of weeks during my depressed slump... I still haven't been up to a 3 miler yet, but my pace is consistently between 12 and 13 now, and then tonight, I didn't even want to go and then did two miles at that pace????? wow. I love running, it is consistently the easiest way to make myself feel good about me.

Dee

royalsfan1
06-30-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm loving running too! I finished week 5 of c25k this morning. That means I ran for 20 minutes! In fact, I went 21 just so I could run to my front door. I was not even slightly weary....could have kept going but I've been telling myself not to push too far. I don't want to hurt myself. I have a good, solid, proven program and I'm going to stick with it. But, wow, 21 minutes! Who knew??

ennay
06-30-2007, 02:03 PM
:broc:

I just LOVE when people get the running bug! :running:

9.6 this morning some weakness in the left shin, I think I did a minor strain on thursday.

I am in such trouble for my 1/2 on Wednesday. It is flat and shadeless and the forecast is now calling for HOT (high of 91, probably nearing 80 during the race) and sunny. I have had only a few runs over 50 this year. This morning I delayed my long run to try and get some heat acclimation and at the end I was feeling really hot.....came in and it was 62 in the shade. :eek: